5.0 out of 5 stars A *huge* hit
Gave this to my 7-going-on-8 year old grandson and he and his friends have dog-eared it. Non-reading kids are reading it just for fun! BEWARE: If you're in a car with a young person who has this book, be prepared to have to participate in the jokes, riddles and tongue-twisters. :)
Published on May 8, 2012 by Kathie

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids
I bought this for use in my Alzheimer's ministry trying to find some simple humor that they may enjoy, has not really fit the bill for me but I think young kids would enjoy the jokes and use them in group settings
Published 15 months ago by Archie Mcdowall

5.0 out of 5 stars A *huge* hit, May 8, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Pa. Oma, June 4, 2012
I ordered this for my 6 year old granddaughter and she loved it! What a great time we have had reading this together, I think I enjoy the jokes as much as she does. I would highly recommend this book to anyone 6 to 60! The jokes are great and the animal pictures are adorable. A great buy for the money-priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tickle your funnybone, August 31, 2012
Kids jokes are just too funny. You'll be holding your belly, and rolling your eyes as you groan over these delightfully corny jokes.

Jokes like:
"Q: What rock group has four men who don't sing?
A: Mount Rushmore."

Knock knocks like these:
"Knock, knock"
"Who's there?"
"T. Rex."
"T. Rex who?"
"There's a T. Rex at your door, and you want to know his name?"

And unique tongue-twisters such as:
"Girl gargoyle, guy gargoyle."

will all be very well received by kids with a sense of humor.

Brilliant color photos of all manner of wild animals and an appealing layout make this a perfect choice for reluctant readers. I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nat Geo Joke book, April 16, 2012
Good pictures, as with most of Nat Geo's books. Jokes were pretty good, I was entertained as an adult and the 8 year old I got the book for like them as well... There are a lot of knock knock jokes, some of them seemed a little repetitive but overall a good book for the price. It is good for boys and girls and a better gift than most of the junk out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious :)!, October 14, 2013
My son loves these books. We started reading National Geographic Kids books when he was about six (he's nine now) and I can honestly say that these books have been instrumental in teaching him to read. One weekend, the child actually read a 300 pg. book (one from the Weird, But True Series) to my husband and I over the course of two days - 50 pg.s three times a day until he'd finished. I mention this because last year my son was sent to a reading specialist because his teacher was concerned that he was reading below his age-level. Although I was happy for him to receive the extra attention from the specialist, I always doubted that he had any real problems reading because he read the Nat'l Geo books to us constantly. Thankfully, I was right. He no longer sees the reading specialist, reads above his grade-level, and even reads out-loud to his classmates at lunchtime.

Why is this so important? Because kids are often labeled as poor readers when it's not that they can't read, but rather that they simply aren't interested in what they are being given to read. My teen-age step-daughter grew up thinking that she was a poor reader, too. That all changed when I gave her the Twilight Series. She read the last book, "Breaking Dawn," (756 pages) in less than 48 hours!

There are several elements that make the Nat'l Geo series so appealing, particularly to elementary aged boys. The layouts are very simple, not cluttered. Each joke (or fact in the Weird, But True Series) is only one or two sentences long. The font is much larger than what you would find in a typical chapter book designed for this age group. And the visual images are excellent - exciting, funny, interesting - they immediately draw the reader in, curious to find out more.

The Just Joking Series is one of my son's favorites. We'd previously purchased the first book in the series and my husband and I had each spent several evenings with my son taking turns with him reading the jokes aloud and cracking each other up. We purchased this box set in September for his birthday and are almost through the other two books, as well. We've also pre-ordered "Just Joking #4."

The jokes in these books are mostly very funny, very clean, and only occasionally so dumb that they merit the buzzer sound (think "America's Got Talent"). The joke books also include several tongue twisters. Truthfully, our son doesn't really care for these, but the jokes more than make up for this.

Of all the joke books we've got, these are our favorites. As a parent, teacher, library volunteer, and chairperson of my son's Scholastic Book Fairs, this is a set I will definitely be recommending for children (especially boys) from pre-K through lower elementary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joke Book Review, July 17, 2012
I purchased this book for my daughter. She likes to read joke books and then share those jokes with other family members. She has enjoyed reading this book and sharing the jokes with other people. It was a birthday gift that she has really enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars National Geographic Kids Just Joking, September 14, 2012
This book was very special for my 6 year old grandson. The jokes were cute, clean, and the knock-knock parts were age appropriate. He enjoys calling and telling me his new jokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, January 13, 2013
This is a great book for jokes. You know with National Geographic kids, it is safe for your child to see and read. Wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books!, October 16, 2012
Julie Nichols (Bellevue, NE United States) - See all my reviews
I just love these books. They keep your children reading and busy for a long time. Great quality and fun and factual. Quite interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 8-year old Niece Loves This Book!, September 6, 2012
Though she reads tons of books, I see that my niece frequently enjoys grabbing this fun book/magazine. Great little jokes & riddles ~ actually fun for all of her teen/adult family members to have a laugh with her too! Very entertaining.

National Geographic Kids Just Joking: 300 Hilarious Jokes, Tricky Tongue Twisters, and Ridiculous Riddles
Used & New from: $10.73