Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 8, 2015
I bought this book to learn about mummies with my first graders. That is NOT an easy subject to teach with such little children, as you're talking about dead people. It all started when they asked, "Are mummies real?" I replied with the truth, "Well, yes, but they're not monsters that chase you around going, 'Whoooooo!'" And thus began my search for an age-appropriate, non-fiction book about mummies. Let me assure you, that doesn't exist. However, that being said, with lots of stopping for commentary and answering questions, this was really good. Some were scared, some were grossed out, almost all were fascinated. And you're dealing with ancient religious beliefs, so at one point, I had to tell them, "That is a good question. People believe different things. You should ask you parents what they believe." One little girl told me after I finished reading, "This is kind of disgusting, but it's also kind of interesting." I could've hugged her on the spot. It's probably very different if you're reading it one-on-one with your child, but when you're tackling a room full of little, eager minds, this is a pretty good place to start. I recommend it, but be prepared to stop along the way to explain things, ask questions, and answer questions. I also recommend having additional non-fiction books for them to browse, but this was the best I found to actually read to them.
on June 28, 2016
I thought my almost 5 year old - who is obsessed with mummies right now since seeing one in our local museum - would be terrified of this cover alone, but she loves this book and says "it's cool, not scary"! This is a really neat book, more like a magazine-style, intended for young kids. Nothing really graphic, although they are very clear in the text that "they remove the brain with a hook through the nose", and they do show real mummies close up (like the cover) ... so not for the faint of heart kids. But my preschooler is almost 5 and scared of alot however not this book. So I am giving it 5 stars for being truly age appropriate. The text is informative and large print for those a little older learning to read. Very happy with this purchase and so is my child!
on January 12, 2011
My five year old son loves this book. He's asked for it for over a year and we finally gave in and let him read it, worried that it would be a bit scary. Not so. He's fascinated by it, it's educational, and easy to understand as well as interesting. Great book.
on July 2, 2014
We can't say enough good things about the entire National Geographic Kids books, my 4 year old son loves these. We wanted to get him interested in science early and he always goes back to these books. So far, I think we purchased 6 of the series and he loves them all.
on February 9, 2013
My 5 year old loves this book but I cant figure out why because the pictures are kind of gross. I would not have thought that this kind of book would be a good book for kids but it is well written and very educational. So for now I am stuck reading this book and having to look at the pictures every night.
on June 8, 2014
As a travel writer of educational guides for kids, I am always looking for books that help bring to life cultures and countries. National Geographic is always a favorite. This book on mummies is highly recommended for kids that are heading on an adventure to Egypt. This will help keep up their reading skills while on vacation.

Introducing a concept with literature before actually seeing something increases learning! National Geographic books are well written with fantastic photos. Kids are mesmorized by the photos!

Great book for homes and classrooms!
One day when a farmer was working in some "swampy land" he was quite shocked when he uncovered a body when he was digging. The body was blackened, but other than that the man looked like he had just died. Much to his surprise and probably that of the police, this man turned out to be more than two-thousand years old. He had unearthed a mummy. If you are interested in archaeology or mummies, you will be fascinated by this book. Usually when something dies, "insects, wild animals, and bacteria eat parts of the body." But why doesn't a mummy decay? This is one of many questions you may have that are answered in this book!

People can actually make mummies or, in the case of the man the farmer unearthed, mummies can be created by certain environmental factors. Bogs, arid places, or cold places like "frosty mountaintops" are places they can be made. You can see bog mummies like the Grauballe Man, the Lindow Man, and the Tollund Man. One very unusual mummy you will get a chance to see and learn about is the 5,300-year-old Mummy, Ötzi. He was actually murdered, but "so far the case has gone cold!" You will also learn how a mummy is made, you'll get to take a look at a few more famous mummies, animal mummies and a more recent mummy named Jeremy Bentham.

This is the perfect book for the young, independent reader who is interested in mummies and archaeology. The curious youngster will learn a lot about mummies in general and will especially enjoy learning about how the Egyptians made mummies. This book, as you can easily see from the cover, is graphic, but very well written and presented. There are several small sidebars called "Word Wrap" that explain words that the independent reader can decipher, but not necessarily understand. For example, the word "bacteria" is defined. In the back of the book is a six-word picture glossary. This is a fascinating book that many young people will be drawn to!
on October 24, 2009
MUMMIES by Elizabeth Carney is probably not a book that I'd just pick up on my own because I found the cover a little disturbing (and gross.) And I didn't think I was interested in learning about mummies, but I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. I actually learned a great deal!

MUMMIES is published by National Geographic Kids, and it's part of their National Geographic Readers Series -- this particular book is a Level 2. I love the idea of this series! These books not only teach kids to read, but they also provide lots of valuable information on a wide variety of topics. I think it's a bonus that they are learning about science and nature while they are also learning to read. MUMMIES is exactly what you'd expect from a National Geographic Kids publication. This book is filled with loads of fun facts, and the pictures are absolutely amazing. Even the most reluctant readers are going to love this book!

I admit that I didn't know much about mummies prior to reading this book; however, this little guide provided me with a lot of interesting information. The book explained how ancient civilizations made mummies, and it also showed how mummification occurred naturally. I especially liked the step-by-step drawings that showed "How to Make a Mummy." In addition, there are even sections about Mummy curses and animal mummies.

While my son enjoyed having the book read to him, I definitely think MUMMIES is ideal for children who are starting to read independently. I was extremely impressed with this book, and I can't wait to explore some of the Level 1 books in the National Geographic Readers Series for my son.
on December 20, 2013
I bought several of this books for my children, they love them so much that they have now a big collection, and I love the fact that they actually read them and are learning a lot, they come with different reading levels for each child reading skills.
on May 29, 2012
Amazing book to learn about mumification. My son was consumed by it and wanted to read on and on. I learned alot and i am 36. Great information. Son took it to school to share with class. they were studying eqypt at the time so it was timely to purchase. great price also.