5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent teaching tool for geography and history
Of all the books at my recent book fair, "National Geographic Kids Ultimate U.S. Road Trip Atlas" was my favorite. I'm the librarian/chair of the book fair, thus I familiarize myself with every book on the case shelves. As a cartophile (map lover), I immediately grabbed this book and Aha! thrilled to its pages!

I evaluate such a book of the 50 states by what is...
Published on March 21, 2012 by Judy K. Polhemus

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be
We bought these for a trip. It lists all the states and a few facts and things to do. Kids would get bored with this in minutes. We didn't even take these books with us.
Published 4 months ago by F. Stafford

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent teaching tool for geography and history, March 21, 2012
This review is from: National Geographic Kids Ultimate U.S. Road Trip Atlas: Maps, Games, Activities, and More for Hours of Backseat Fun (Paperback)

I evaluate such a book of the 50 states by what is written about my home state, Louisiana. I begin there/here. Each state is allotted two pages. The state map fills one page and information and state symbols the other. The little roads are missing--after all, it takes a big fold-out to include those--but all the state and federal roads are intact. How do I know? A rather narrow state road, 28, runs between Federal Highway 171 and Interstate 49. So what? My grandparents lived in a small community, Simpson, along 28. No, Simpson didn't make the map, but 28 is there.

What is included for each state are these items:
1. 5 Cool things to do here (In Louisiana you can visit the Rose Garden in Shreveport, take a Bayou Boat Tour, visit the Aquarium of the Americas, go through Cajun Country, and tour the French Quarter of New Orleans. A green line exactly locates each place.)
2. A summary paragraph
3. Roadside attractions, like Mardi Gras World, a musuem showing how a float is made
4. Odd information: Did you know that alligators must stay at least 200 yards away from the Mardi Gras parade route.

Each state is set up similarly. Imagine how children can have fun with this--and learn during the summer on those ghastly road trips. The U. S. Road Atlas is most beneficial.

I just flipped open to a particular state. Question: Which state is divided into two parts by the Chesapeake Bay? Yes, if you live near this region, you can answer that. I could not have answered the question. Or this one: In which state is the Wild Horses Assateague State Park? Answer to both questions is Maryland. OK, one more about Maryland: Which state gave up some of its land to form Washington, D.C.?

At an incredibly low price, you can have this book for your children, your students, or, ahem, for yourself. I bought (with library funds) 10 copies for a project I plan to do soon with my middle elementary students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Road Atlas for kids!, May 30, 2013
One reviewer made it sound like there's not much to this atlas. I'm a high school teacher, and I notice that many items generically labeled 'for kids' don't have a specific audience or age range in mind. This book is recommended for kids 8 and up. We have a 5 year old and an 11 year old. The 11 year old thinks it's a great trivia book with tons of maps. Our 5 year old thinks it's cool that he has his own maps, like the ones on our navigation system.
The book is colorful, magazine-sized, and very appealing, visually. Most states get a 2-page spread, with a map of the state on one page, 5 Cool Things to do Here surround the map, with colored pointers to their locations, and off to the side a few smaller sections like popular roadside attractions (usually 3), and either a Fantastic State Facts or Traffic Laws You Won't Believe section. There is a brief description of the geography of each state, and images of the state bird, flower, and animal are near the state's name.
Each state also has its own Boredom Buster that will occupy kids for quite a while, though they can be technology-focused. Examples include taking pictures of Clinton references as you travel through Arkansas, searching for famous people from Iowa and see who can find the most, taking pictures of tornado shelters in Kansas and see who can find the most, etc. It also includes 10 pages of games at the back which are colorful, but probably won't last more than a half hour.
Some critics have made it sound like there's not much to the book. I can see that argument in one sense. There's not enough information to occupy bored kids for several hours, as you drive through a state. I do agree with the comment that the US map is too small. With the format of the book, the map could have been nearly 11 x 17, yet it's shrunk down to about 2/3 of the available space with a large, wasted green border around it. It's a good map, showing the Interstate highways with approximate drive times between each major city. It's a great way for kids to practice their time and math skills. It's just disappointing that it could have been substantially larger without changing its focus or function in any way. As a kid's atlas with lots of added trivia, it's WAY more interesting for my two boys than a regular atlas. Could they have included more information? Yes, but they could have made the pages too overwhelming for younger readers, too. I think the colorful design and layout make the atlas accessible for a wide range of ages. Though most suited for 8-12 year olds, I know many of my high school students would prefer this to a standard atlas for the trivia and layout, alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of interesting facts, a bit too cluttered., April 25, 2012
I like the facts given for each state, but there seems to be a section of interesting places they do not show you on the map. I found it to be a bit cluttered graphically, but I'm sure my 7 yo won't notice too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars great back seat book, May 30, 2012
summer (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
We are huge fans of Nat Geo books & mags, and this one takes the cake! Crispin Boyer is very talented! It's easy to read, navigate, and very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, November 23, 2013
My son loved this book so much, he spent his own money to buy it. He first got it from the library. Because of this book we have planned multiple family vacations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Great book for next to nothing., July 1, 2014
T. McMicken (Madison, AL United States) - See all my reviews
Got this for my five year old to look up facts about states we were visiting and I looked it at just as much if not more than her! It has a large map of the U.S and then a page for each state with interesting facts and information. It has games as well and was a great additions to the Travel scavenger hunt cards we bought as well. Very cool book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning is fun, November 11, 2013
Love it! My kids learned so much as we explored Maine! Must have for any vacation! So much fun! Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, November 24, 2013
Cute book with several key things about each of the states listed. My daughters enjoyed looking at in and I look forward to using it on our next trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for long trips, November 6, 2013
Bought this for my son who is very interested in geography right now. We home school and trail ride - being that every moment is a teachable moment, I figured he could learn with this while keeping him occupied on the trails. It has some interesting facts about each state. I enjoyed looking thru it myself

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept him entertained and interested!, August 20, 2013
Sara (Brandon, MS, US) - See all my reviews
Sometimes while traveling the roadside view is not all that interesting to a child. This book is full of interesting things about the states you are passing thru, games to play with the others in the car. It really helped keep him interested in the trip and the places we were passing thru.