Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 26, 2011
I bought a set of these to include in a unit on non-fiction text features for my Kindergarten/First Grade class. This book is perfect for several reasons. It is written at a level where early readers can do a lot of the reading themselves and use their decoding strategies to successfully problem solve unfamiliar words. Subject matter captivated their attention and helped underscore importance/use of many of the features we have discussed, i.e. contents page, photos, captions, charts, map, glossary, index. Just wish it showed better examples of labels, but that would make this book beyond perfect. Did I mention that I love this book? :)
on December 20, 2010
I bought this book for my 2 year old son. It has awesome photos, which you can always expect from National Geographic, and great information. I must admit that while introducing this book to my son, I realized just how little I actually know about the animal kingdom. It's a great book for kids and adults too!
on December 6, 2010
I bought this book for my 18 months old son, who loves animals. It has great pictures and he can sit and look at this book for literally hours. I would highly reacoomend it!
VINE VOICEon January 26, 2011
Book includes 128 full color pages
All of the words/sentences are in large print
Headings are colorful and bold
Words are bigger words, more of a late K or early 1st grade reader
Very nice quality

I have a little animal lover, and this was a perfect book for him. He is 4, and just learning to read. I was worried that there wouldn't be that many pictures, or that it wouldn't be very long, but this is an excellent book! I was glad for all the previous reviews. This book was just as I hoped. Educational, wonderful photos, very good quality, and long. Lots of time spent by my son looking through this book, he can't quite read the words yet...a few more months.
on July 2, 2013
The content within the book is fine but the physical book itself is of poor quality. The pages fall out of the spine real easily.
on February 4, 2014
My daughter loves this. We pick several animals to read about each night and she loves telling others about the facts she learned. Pictures are great, and facts are simple enough for her to understand, but still interesting even to me.
on September 12, 2013
I bought this for my 3 year old grand daughter because my 12 year old grand daughter loves the older kids version so much. The 3 year old requests her parents read about animals each night. One night the 3 year old told her parents she was sleeping like a sea otter wrapped in sea weed because they had just read that is how the baby sea otters sleep.
on April 26, 2014
The content of the book is pretty good, but the binding is horrible. This book started falling apart the second time my toddler and I opened it up. It's hard enough to keep a toddler from ripping books apart, but when the book falls apart on it's own, there is no hope for being able to enjoy it for very long.
on March 25, 2016
This is a fabulous book for young kids! The pages have many stunning and large photos of a good variety of animals. The book is broken up into sections like Desert, Forest, Ocean, etc. What is nice about these sections is that they don't all stick with the "typical" animals commonly classified with each time of habitat. An example is tigers being in the forest section. This shows children that there are other types of forests as opposed to just the American and Canadian types they may be familiar with.

Each animal has a section about 2-4 pages long. These pages have very short and simple facts, and big, colorful images. It's short and sweet, but still captivating. There are also plenty of images of cute baby animals, which are always fun to look at!

Another great thing about this book is that it actually has a Parent Tips section with small activities to do with kids based on the animals in the book, and each one works with a different skill. They're all very simple to do, and some are more fun than educational, but fun and education should go hand in hand with kids to keep them interested. There is also a map with names of the animals labelled in each country.

Overall, this is an excellent beginner's book. It's not super detailed, but there are enough facts in there for a young child to retain, and with over 100 pages, that's a relief for parents who end up reading the whole thing to their kids in one sitting like I just did.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon May 11, 2016
I bought this as a birthday gift for my 4 year old daughter because she loves animals and she has been asking to read it every day. The book has hardback binding and is much larger than what I expected, which was a plus. It has 128 pages of beautifully colored animal photographs, many photographs of each type of animal per page. The pages themselves are thick and have tons of colors/designs surrounding the actual photographs. The writing per page is large print and contains lots of interesting facts about the animals, including lots of things even I didn't know. My daughter can't read yet, but this book would be good for a second or third grader to read independently.

For each animal, it lists the kind of animal (mammal, amphibian, etc.), what continent it lives on, the size of the animal, what the animal eats, what sounds they make, and how many babies the animal has at a time. Most animals have 3-4 pages dedicated to information about them. I've been teaching my daughter about animal habitats (grassland, ocean, tundra, etc.) and I was thrilled that this book is actually divided into habitats and the animals that live in them. Some of the animals featured are cheetah, giraffe, sea otter, sea turtle, meerkat, camel, red eyed tree frog, black handed spider monkey, raccoon, tiger, beaver, harp seal, snowy owl, penguins, and octopus. I like that it included a variety of familiar animals we've seen at the zoo with some lesser known animals like the desert jerboa and blue striped grunt.

As a former teacher, this book would be a great way to introduce students to the features of a nonfiction encyclopedia such as a table of contents, title page, captions, index, and glossary, all of which are featured in this book. Another feature I liked was the two pages of parent tips that give you ideas for enrichment activities to do with your child, such as measuring their height, blowing underwater bubbles, creating a diorama, clue games, and rhyming words. The book also has a world map that shows the continents and lists the animals in the book next to the continent they live on. There are so many educational aspects to this book and I can't believe it was only $9! It's such a high quality book and definitely one that we read a lot.