Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 27, 2013
My son loves this book, as do I. National Geographic hit a home run on this one.

Not present is National Geographic's habit of digitally adding unnecessary characters to host the book, or their penchant for unnecessary vocabulary ("mojo", for example).

What is present are caterpillars and butterflies. Lots of them. In photos and in text, the book is sure to captivate the interest of children everywhere.

Oh, and two tips for parents whose children request they read this book over and over to the point where you groan when they want you to read the book. First, liven up the book by substituting the word "monster" for "butterfly". This sent my son into gales of laughter one evening. Second, amuse yourself by adding the word "midlife" before the word "chrysalis". The play on words will be entirely lost on your child, and it'll bring a smile to your own face.

Then buy another National Geographic Books and hide the one you've read twenty times in the last month.
on November 11, 2013
We gave these out as party favors for my 4-year-old daughter's birthday and everyone enjoyed getting it and has given great feedback. I like giving favors that are educational and the pictures are beautiful.
on October 11, 2013
The book is perfect for beginning readers or young children. The words and concepts are very clear, and the photos are great. It is a little on the short side, but I think that is good for the age group targeted.
on February 13, 2014
Ordered this book to accompany the Insect Lore Butterfly Pavilion. As a teacher, National Geographic readers provide accurate information with stunning photos (like their magazine) and I would recommend any of their materials.
on October 23, 2015
This is a very colorful book and exceptional for BASIC information and to get kids interested in learning; however, if you want to learn a lot about caterpillars to butterflies, you aren't going to get it here. It has very limited information here and there as captions to pictures on the page, and that's it. But it makes a great accompaniment to the Insect Lore Butterfly Garden, which we purchased along with the book. It makes a great reader for a 1st or 2nd grader as well. It was perfect for my 3 year old grand-daughter, who isn't going to get much from a book with vast amounts of information about butterflies.
on October 6, 2015
Bought this to go with our caterpillar to butterfly project. My 3 yr old grand-daughter was fascinated to learn about their transformation. We read the book when we received our "cup of caterpillars," then we kept referring back to the pictures throughout the weeks, as they formed into chrysalides, then into butterflies. Great book with plenty of photographs. Good for teaching.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 18, 2013
I have read this to my kids about a zillion times since Christmas. The bright, big pictures are awesome and it goes over with my 2 year old just as well as with my 4 year old. This series is really great.
on November 20, 2013
The pictures are great but contains approximately 15 or so pages. I would have appreciated more science and important facts.
on August 10, 2015
Gave this to our granddaughters for Christmas. There's a coupon inside that needs to be sent in. Then, at the appropriate time, caterpillars are shipped. They are then placed in an included cage. In a very short time, they spin their chrysalis and soon emerge as butterflies. For the girls, it was a wonderful experience.
on June 4, 2015
My daughter received a butterfly garden for her birthday and I bought her this book to read. As soon as she got it she sat down and read it immediately. She is 8 years old. She asked me to read it to her again that night before bed, and then I saw her reading it a few days later. She must be interested. It's cute.