5.0 out of 5 stars A review of the app, not the magazine
The magazine itself also gets five stars, but so does the app! I "bought" it (it was free, so maybe "clicked it" would be a better term) with some skepticism after reading many of the reviews here, but my experience was fairly good. Here are the main tidbits:

Published 23 months ago by MW

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice -- when it works
I have updated this review because I was able to get the magazine to work. Apparently, the first time, the download didn't go successfully. When I tried it again this time, it works.

Published on October 13, 2012 by Brian Hartman

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of the app, not the magazine, January 5, 2013
MW (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)

When I did the "1-Click" to get the app on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet, it was in the evening. That night, about an hour or two later, I went to the apps section of the Kindle to load it, but it was not there. I checked all over and tried all things, including turning the tablet on and off, but to no avail. I dropped Amazon customer service a note asking about it, they offered some suggestions (which I read the next morning from work) to get help me find it on the device. However, lo and behold, when I went to the apps section of the tablet the following evening, there it was! It only took a minute to activate it on the Kindle.

The app really only offers two things: 1) a convenient way to purchase digital copies of National Geographic, and 2) a great tool to download digital copies for free if you already subscribe to the hard copies of the magazine.

When you open the app for the first time, you'll see issues for sale, and in small print in the top right corner, you'll see an area to tap on if you are already a subscriber. Once you do this, you'll be offered two options to set up your account on the app: Your subscription number and zip code and email address, or your full address and email. I chose the former; I had kept the address and subscription number sheet from my last mailed hard copy. After this, you'll be asked to set up a password for your app on the tablet.

I went through the sign-up process with some trepidation after reading all the frustration some reviewers had. When I first submitted my account number, zip code, and email address, it didn't take. When I re-submitted it a second time, it did. Also note that it kept trying to spell-check my email address, and when I would put in the "@" sign, it would keep automatically changing it to a word and would not leave it as I had typed it. I solved this by typing it in all caps.

Once you finish the set-up process, it will offer you various copies to download to your tablet. Each copy is about 450MB, and they take about five minutes to download. Once downloaded, they take another minute or two to install. If you sit there and stare at it, it seems like a long time. If instead you toodle off and do something else while this is taking place, it's not a big deal.

Once you open an installed copy, I must say, at least on the Kindle HD, the images are nothing short of stunning. I mean, absolutely AMAZING in detail and richness. Just...WOW! Navigation takes some getting used to, but play around with it and after a while it becomes fairly easy. After going past the cover and an advertisement or two, you'll come to a page that allows you to jump around, view the table of contents, go straight to the included videos, etc.

Oddly, for me the magazine will only show in landscape mode, no matter how I orient the tablet. Some photos, however, shift into portrait mode. As an example, a photo of a giant redwood automatically displayed in the portrait mode, allowing me to swipe upward and slide down the entire tree. Cool.

The embedded videos are typically short and are also of stunning quality. They have played on my Kindle without any issue.

To me, the real value here is for existing subscribers to the magazine. The hard copy subscription is not all that expensive to begin with, especially considering what you get, and now on top of that, you can get an app that costs absolutely nothing that allows you to access a digital copy as well....that includes short feature videos...for free! How can you beat that?

In the past I have been an on-again off-again subscriber to Nat Geo....but now, due to this neat little app....I have no doubt that I'll be a permanent subscriber. Maybe I got lucky in not having to go through much hassle to set this up, but for me this is without a doubt a five-star deal.

I hope this review provided some insight that was beneficial. If anything changes I will update it.....thanks for reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice -- when it works, October 13, 2012
Brian Hartman (Scotch Plains, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)

So, what do you get when the app works? You get a beautiful version of the magazine, with all of the articles, the beautiful photography, and added video and audio features. It's really quite impressive. In short, the working app is beautiful.

So what are the downsides, since I still didn't give it 5 stars?

1) There seem to be glitches in the downloading process. The app doesn't always download the magazine correctly, and when it fails, you may be (like I was) left with an unreadable magazine until you retry it.
2) The magazine files themselves are huge, and take a long time to download, even over Wifi. The issue I downloaded was 255MB.
3) The magazine app doesn't appear to allow for font resizing. If you've got less than perfect eyes, expect to use your reading glasses for the magazine.

So although I can't give the National Geographic app a full endorsement, it's not the piece of garbage I thought it was.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting for technical support to respond, December 20, 2012
P. Hanthorn (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
I purchased the digital National Geographic magazine for my Kindle Fire along with the archived versions for my pc ($19.99) and the userid and password do not work. I have contacted customer support twice with nothing but the automated reply in three days. Still getting plenty of ads from them! So, not at all impressed with their technical support. I think I will cancel,

3.0 out of 5 stars Nat'l Geo App, December 8, 2012
M. B. (Thornton, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
My favorite magazine but having to log in with an email address and 9 digit account number specific to
Nat'l Geo makes it hard to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will not show up on my Kindle Fire HD - fixed now Thank You!, October 21, 2012
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
Imagine my excitement when I received this month's National Geographic with the insert that tells me my print subscription entitles me to read National Geographic on my Kindle Fire HD. Now imagine my dissapointment when it didn't work.

Right off the bat I had trouble even obtaining it. I had to add it to my Kindle Fire apps from my laptop. It would not download directly to my Kindle Fire HD. Even though the app says it is free, from my Kindle it was requiring a credit card number and a new subscription to National Geographic. I already subscribe and don't need to purchase a second subscription, according to National Geographic.

After I added it to to my Kindle Fire HD apps from my laptop, the app shows up in my list of owned apps when I check from my laptop. However, it does not show up on my list from my Kindle Fire HD (neither in the cloud or on the device) When I try to re-download it says I already own it to check my library. But it's not there.

Don't download this app until it gets fixed and don't be duped into paying for a second subscription if you are a print subscriber

UPDATE: Well after a week, it shows up on my Kindle Fire HD. But I can't sign in using the app. After multiple tries, using the logname and password that works from my laptop and even changing the password from the Kindle Fire, I still can't use the app.....

Additional Update: Thank you to the people responsible for fixing the app. It now works correctly and is great. Changing my rating to reflect the current status. I'm giving it four stars since it works great now, but was such a hassle before it got fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars National Geographic Mag on the go, September 11, 2012
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
This app uses a pretty standard interface for finding and accessing the latest issue of National Georgraphic on my Kindle Fire. It is very similar to many other mags in that you can download any issue in your library to your device or archive it to save space. Bottom line is that it is nice to finally have access to NatGeo anytime/anywhere from my Kindle. If you already have a print subscription to the magazine this is available at no extra charge. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor communication with subscribers, November 28, 2012
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
ok. I had the same problems logging in as previous reviewers. I signed in but then could not find the subscription. Only previous months were available for purchase. I emailed the NGS support & they emailed back that they couldn't find me, even though I have an account number. By this time I am hanging my head against the table because I have entered my email address which has 27 digits, my account number, and my password 50 times. At this point I tried logging in on my iphone. although not intuitive, it did work (you have to tap the little gear at the top of your screen on your iphone.) ok so now I go back to the kindle & try again a few more times. No luck. So I call NGS customer service & get a knowledgeable, but condescending Rep who informs me that the Iphone comes with a complementary issue which begins immediately. The Kindle does not. You have to wait until the first of the following month for your subscription to begin. At that point it will appear in your library at the bottom of the screen when you log in. NGS needs to convey this detail to their paying customers! Also they need to have a more knowledgeable & friendly support staff. Furthermore, Amazon needs to improve the experience of the Fire User. From this experience I am ready to buy an ipad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Isn't a magazine!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
It isn't a magazine but an app to get the magazine. The way it was described it appeared that you'd get a free magazine to try out instead of an app.

5.0 out of 5 stars video are excellent, January 7, 2013
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
The ability to watch videos associated with the articles is a great addition to a great magazine. The video quality on my Fire is great.

1.0 out of 5 stars National geographic app, January 20, 2013
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
I have had this app for two days and still can't get it to accept my login info. You have to erase the field name before you enter data. Very frustrating. Should have been field tested better. I have the same app on my iPhone with the same frustration.

National Geographic Magazine