5.0 out of 5 stars The biggest hit on this year's Christmas list.
As per usual with Christmas, birthdays and kids, the childless one (me) came bearing books...and this one was far and away THE favorite with the kids AND their parents. Just about every turn of the page elicited a "Wow, just look at THIS!!!."

Published on December 24, 2012 by Sharon Isch

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning -- anthropomorphism ahead
Published 19 months ago by D. Mcmurry

5.0 out of 5 stars The biggest hit on this year's Christmas list., December 24, 2012
This review is from: National Geographic Kids 125 True Stories of Amazing Animals: Inspiring Tales of Animal Friendship & Four-Legged Heroes, Plus Crazy Animal Antics (Paperback)

While it's unlikely you know me, my tastes and those of the kids in my life, nor I you and yours, I nonetheless think it's a pretty safe bet to recommend that if you're shopping anytime soon for a child in the 7-10 age range who loves animals and loves to read, picking this book is likely to ensure you've picked a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with fun details, June 5, 2012
My daughter loves reading about the facts in these series. THe photos are fun and colorful.They are good books for the car or for travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and fun, September 6, 2012
Shar (Chicago burbs) - See all my reviews
Ordered this as a gift for my nephew's 8th birthday. Beautifully photographed book - very impressive. Has a very 'fun' feel to it (not boring!) My husband and I got a kick out of looking through it ourselves. We think our nephew will immediately enjoy looking at the pictures and reading the captions - and when he's a year or two older, we can see him picking it up again and reading the little interesting stories on each page (which are a bit beyond his current reading level). LOVE this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Hit for My 7-Year-Old's Birthday, March 27, 2014
A friend gave this book to my daughter for her 7th birthday, and it was a huge hit. She sat there reading it at the dinner table, and then again at breakfast the next morning-- I had to stop her because it was time to go to school. You know it's a good book when your kid says, "Mom! You have to read this part. And this one. And this one."

She read stories to me, she insisted I read others, and she read it all with a wide-eyed sense of wonder and a lot of laughter. We loved reading the silly stories (like the fox who steals shoes), the sweet tales of unlikely friendship (like a tiger and a pig), the heroic animals (like the dog acting as a seeing eye dog for another pup), and the interesting trivia.

The layouts and photos are beautiful, and there are enough stories here to pick up and read over and over for a long time to come. Great pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to catch a child's interest!, July 14, 2012
Judy Z. (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This is a great book to catch a child's attention. They can spend a lot of time checking out the many facts in the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning -- anthropomorphism ahead, August 10, 2013
D. Mcmurry (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
Great photos and some of the stories are genuinely interesting but in my opinion some of them take things a little too far and end up being skewed. For example, in the story where the rabbit "saves" the human family from their burning house, it is highly doubtful that the rabbit had the welfare of the people at heart, it was more likely only acting up in its cage because the smoke was freaking it out. Also, the orangutan who takes photographs is probably only doing so because every time she presses the shutter, a raisin pops out, not because she has a human-like artistic streak. This fact was thrown in at the very end, yielding what could definitely be called an anti-climax.

Maybe I'm just a jaded adult, but there was a level of non-reality here that I didn't expect from National Geographic. However, our 10 year old loves it and like I said, the pictures are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandkids liked this book., March 21, 2014
Janet F. (AUSTIN, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I sent this to my 4 and 9 year-old grandchildren who were house-bound in Minnesota this winter. My son said it was a great distraction and something new to relieve the boredom of two kids who were getting on each other's nerves. I also sent the National Geographic book of knock-knock jokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, August 19, 2013
My granddaughter, who is not particularly fond of reading, was entranced by this book. Many interesting facts and excellent illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for kids who love animals and reading 'fun facts', May 9, 2013
SweetMom "ssweet" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Our 7-year old LOVES this book. When he opened it on his birthday, it literally stopped him in his tracks, and he sat reading - both to himself and aloud - to everyone at his party. We had to promise he could read it after everyone left, so that he would go back to his guests.

All of the Nat Geo Kids books are fantastic. This one is a smaller version, and paperback, so it's a great choice to take on a trip or to keep in a bag for waiting-room activities. I would absolutely recommend this book for any kid who loves animals and enjoys both reading and sharing "true stories" that are sometimes amazing, always adorable. It makes an excellent gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for an 8-year old boy., February 5, 2013
For the reluctant male reader, here is a high-interest book that will hold his attention. The stories are quite engaging and feature very unique animals, popular with this age group, with wonderful life-like brilliantly colored photos. The stories are also short enough that a young reader will not tire of the story before completing it. Since the book format is more of an anthology, the child can also "hop around", choosing stories of greater interest, rather than having to stick with reading the book in a particular order.