4.0 out of 5 stars What about the birth...
This review is primarily for doulas, childbirth educators, midwives and such who are curious about the birth footage in this film:

Published on June 13, 2008 by Molly Remer

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming
I was a bit disappointed by this documentary, especially after reading so many reviews about how amazing it is.

Published on February 23, 2010 by CGDH

4.0 out of 5 stars What about the birth..., June 13, 2008
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)

Overall, this was an interesting film though I thought it became repetitive and there was computer graphic footage that seemed to be repeated over and over again. It really brought home the miracle of human development. It is truly like magic how a baby develops in such complexity and perfection!

Of course, I was most interested to see the birth at the very end of the film and it was great! The mother gave birth standing, with her heads and arms leaning on the hospital bed. The voiceover made comments about how movement during labor is so important and how upright--standing, squatting, kneeling--is the best way to give birth (and thankfully this was backed up by what was actually happening on the screen instead of just the "ideal"). So, that was really cool! It is a very brief clip and not very easy to see so I wouldn't recommend the video for use as a birth video per se, it was just nice to see a normal birth portrayed smoothly (and in hospital setting).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Video, March 8, 2007
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
We have 4 kids and have another one on the way. The kids had some questions that covered a broad range. (what does the baby look like now to how will it come out) We sat all four of them down (ages 3 to 11) in front of it. They all enjoyed it and got their questions answered better than we had answered them. Good Show from National Geographic - 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, February 23, 2010
CGDH (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)

As other reviewers have mentioned, long stretches of this film feature the same dozen computer-animated clips played over and over again while the narrator offers vague, general information. I would have liked to hear more statistics and comparative data -- the narrator rarely even mentioned how big the fetus was at different stages. There were a lot of rapid-fire cuts, footage of fluid rushing through the lungs, and unexplained belly-cam shots, but I was expecting more substantive information. You won't get anything from this documentary that you don't get in one of those week-by-week pregnancy emails. The 4-D scans were fascinating, but there were not many of them.

In all, this film was a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, July 12, 2007
F. Mak "BoBoNBongo" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
My wife and I bought this for some extra insight into her pregnancy and I must say that it is most informative.

I believe that many modern documentaries are looking for PG ratings so that young members of our world may watch without being afraid. The documentary does not go into details of what could go wrong or any issues such as that. Instead, it focuses on what happens in a typical pregnancy. They even show a birth and it happens to be a very pg-13 sort of birth. Great for introducing curious youngsters to how all of this works, though if I were reading this, I would preview it before showing my youngsters to see if it was right for me.

In my humble opinion, this is an excellent modern documentary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, June 3, 2009
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
This is obviously a beautiful phenomenon. I bought it to show my 8th grade class during our "Worth-the-Wait" unit. I was pleased, for the most part. My only complaint would probably be something that National Geographic is pretty well known for. There were many scenes that would flash back and forth so fast that it was hard to get a grasp of what was going on at any one moment. And then there were many scenes that were interesting to look at, but not explained well or at all. However, for every scene that was confusing or overwhelming, there would be another that was perfectly clear and wonderfully explained. So I would recommend it, just don't prepare for complete understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, August 21, 2006
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
I heard really good things about this show, so I just had to buy it. I watched it with my sister in law, and we were totally blown away! It had so many interesting facts, and it wasn't boring either! I greatly recommend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative AND entertaining, July 10, 2006
pooh girl (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
I first found this film on tv while I was pregnant, and I was amazed at how good it actually was. When my husband came home I made him watch it and he loved it too. We loved to see how our baby was developing and what we could expect. I had seen other films on developing babies, they are were boring and tried to give you too much information, but this was just enough information and entertaining enough to hold your interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD for soon-to-be parents, July 2, 2006
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
This takes you through conception to birth. Very imformative and descriptive. We watched the DVD at different segments during our pregnancy. It was fun to see what the baby looks like at the different ages in the womb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, March 8, 2007
Mr. Micah Peterson "Micah" (Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
This is an incredible DVD. My wife and I watched it in amazement as each little part of the baby is formed. I have to say that the most incredible part is when the cells that become the heart all simultaneously start beating together at the same time. They seem just like all the other cells, but then these certain ones just start beating all together and become the heart. It's wild! Despite it's evolutionary language, this DVD is a clear evidence of God's incredible design. When you see the baby at the end in her little dress, it's so crazy to think of everything that happened just to get to that point. Buy it, watch it and show it to everyone you know! Micah

5.0 out of 5 stars video review, July 10, 2006
This review is from: National Geographic - In the Womb (DVD)
the video is so good! it gives you all the information about how babies are growing since the first moments of conception. I bought it for my brother and I found it very interesting

ARRAY(0xa22c89f0)

National Geographic - In the Womb
National Geographic - In the Womb by Toby Macdonald (DVD - 2006)
$19.97 $11.49