Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on June 13, 2008
This review is primarily for doulas, childbirth educators, midwives and such who are curious about the birth footage in this film:

Overall, this was an interesting film though I thought it became repetitive and there was computer graphic footage that seemed to be repeated over and over again. It really brought home the miracle of human development. It is truly like magic how a baby develops in such complexity and perfection!

Of course, I was most interested to see the birth at the very end of the film and it was great! The mother gave birth standing, with her heads and arms leaning on the hospital bed. The voiceover made comments about how movement during labor is so important and how upright--standing, squatting, kneeling--is the best way to give birth (and thankfully this was backed up by what was actually happening on the screen instead of just the "ideal"). So, that was really cool! It is a very brief clip and not very easy to see so I wouldn't recommend the video for use as a birth video per se, it was just nice to see a normal birth portrayed smoothly (and in hospital setting).
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2007
My wife and I bought this for some extra insight into her pregnancy and I must say that it is most informative.

I believe that many modern documentaries are looking for PG ratings so that young members of our world may watch without being afraid. The documentary does not go into details of what could go wrong or any issues such as that. Instead, it focuses on what happens in a typical pregnancy. They even show a birth and it happens to be a very pg-13 sort of birth. Great for introducing curious youngsters to how all of this works, though if I were reading this, I would preview it before showing my youngsters to see if it was right for me.

In my humble opinion, this is an excellent modern documentary.
on July 2, 2006
This takes you through conception to birth. Very imformative and descriptive. We watched the DVD at different segments during our pregnancy. It was fun to see what the baby looks like at the different ages in the womb.
on December 14, 2012
This is a really good movie since it stays away from one extreme or another when it comes to childbirth. Focusing more on the development more than anything. The graphics are kinda cheesy but what would you expect.
VINE VOICEon July 31, 2009
My wife and I watched In the Womb and we thought that it was amazing. We have a childbirth class upcoming and we want to learn as much as possible beforehand, so that we can ask intelligent questions at the class.

The video is educational and shows you what your child is experiencing at each stage of pregnancy. While we both learned a lot, we thought that the videos inside the mother's womb were the most-amazing aspect of the film; it would be interesting to know how National Geographic managed to get these incredible videos.

The only part of the film that I thought was "off" was a sequence in which a surgeon inserted a balloon into a developing fetus in order to prevent a birth defect; I thought that this segment was very interesting, but it seemed to be out of place given that the rest of the film focused on the development of one fetus. Potential viewers should also be aware that this video focuses on fetal development - not birth. In the Womb includes the birth at the end, but (as the title suggests) the nine months of fetal development are the focus of the film.

I highly recommend In the Womb. You will be amazed.
on June 12, 2008
This DVD contains mostly computer graphics of great realism, plus some 3D/4D ultrasound. It also includes very useful and interesting information. I highly recommend it as a soon-to-be father.
on June 24, 2011
I've been reading pregnancy books throughout this experience but I wanted something that my husband could watch to kind of get an idea of what was going on inside. It could have been a little more detailed in terms of what the woman goes through at each stage but overall it was a good buy. Probably an even better buy if you have younger children you want to expalin the 'miracle of life' to.
on March 26, 2011
Cool, informative. I knew most the graphics were fake, but I still found myself saying "no way!" I would've liked more info on pregnancy from the mothers perspective, but this IS called "in the womb". very educational.
on August 9, 2007
this video gave a lot of information on the development of the fetus, much from the perspective of the fetus and its experiences and sense development. A lot of cutting-edge study and simulation. I would have liked to see a bit more actual footage, as opposed to computer graphics, but the graphics were well-done.
on October 28, 2009
This video is a nice supplement to The Miracle of Life. Whereas The Miracle of Life is more focused on conception, In The Womb focuses more on the child's development and experiences in the womb. It is a great video with excellent photography and imagery.