Published on September 20, 2010 by CV

I love their product from Thailand. I don't like the product from Sri Lanka.
The content of coconut oil is higher in Sri Lanka made coco milk, throwing off the consistency.
I don't want to have to warm the coconut oil prior to using in a cold smoothie,
it will just chunk up anyway. Wrote the manufacturer - here's the reply

From the...
Published on September 9, 2011 by Erin

4.0 out of 5 stars Organic BPA Free Goodness! (I got Thailand sourced, noticing negative reviews from Sri Lanka cans as per other reviews), September 20, 2010
This review is from: Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
After reading the review about dented cans, I was leery to buy 2 cases from Amazon but I am glad I did! I received all 24 cans, and NONE were dented. I was pleasantly surprised! The milk worked for my thai curry quite well, but I just wish it was a bit thicker. While this milk is not as thick as the Mae Ploy brand I have tried in the past, I feel better knowing it was organically grown and that this particular company does not use BPA in their cans for coconut milk, or several other of their products. If more companies jump on the bandwagon I will try more brands but until then I am sticking with Native Forest.

Added Aug 15th 2011:
I now see lots of negative reviews on this product due to sourcing from both Sri Lanka and Thailand. Reviewers have stated the poor quality watery ones are coming from Sri Lanka, which makes sense why I rated mine a 4 and liked mine, because mine were the Thailand kind that like other reviewers have stated, taste great. So be careful when ordering this product and make sure you get the Thailand kind! (will say this on the back of the label) As there is no way to know which Amazon is shipping out, it seems the best bet is to get them in a local store and check the back and get the good sourcing of coconut milk that will say Thailand.

Added Oct 20th, 2012:
As commenters have posted as a response to my review, you are able to purchase a powder that you can mix with hot water if you wish to avoid cans at Wilderness Family Naturals website.

Another option is the Tropical Traditions website shows how to make coconut milk with dried coconut at home. (They sell organic dried coconut on their website, so avoiding cans, less packaging, ethical sourcing) They sell quality coconut products, I have purchased many of their items.

Added Aug 5th, 2013:
In the comments section on my review a user posted:
"I just called Native & Sons co and they said there is NO detected bpa OR bps in there cans..Good to know!"

Lastly, I read recently on someone's blog that you can use the coconut cream concentrate found on the Tropical Traditions website to make coconut milk, that it is very cost effective. I have not ever tried this, however I add a bit to smoothies for my partner in the summer and he loves the taste. If I ever try these things out I will report back, however I just wanted to give ideas to folks who might see this if they do not want to go the canned milk route. :)

Added Dec 8th, 2013:
If you haven't seen the 2 star review by Erin "Get Better Wellness" titled " Supply Shortage so Product Coming From Sri Lanka not Thailand" from September 9, 2011 she lists the response from this company about the difference in the Thailand and Sri Lanka coconut milks. While I encourage you to look at her review, this was the response below she got from the company. I am only adding here because its valuable information and most people might not look through all 230+ reviews and comments to find all this but the manufacturer comment credit goes to Erin with the direct quote below. Thanks for contacting the company! ^_^

"From the manufacturer:
during this six month lean period. We are only shipping Thai sourced
coconut milk
as of right now, but distributors and stores may still have Sri Lankan
sourced product.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Sincerely,
Joanna Freet
Edward & Sons Trading Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sri Lanka - UPDATED, August 23, 2011
After my initial disappointment, I contacted Native Forest and asked them about the Sri Lanka sourcing of coconut milk. They informed me that they had already discontinued their sourcing (this was around September 2011), and that the only remaining cans were those already stocked. It now being February 2012, I decided to give them another shot. I'm SO glad that I did, too, because theirs is easily the best coconut milk I've ever had--now that it's properly sourced from Thailand, that is. Those of you who were concerned about getting any from Sri Lanka should be safe now. Additionally, it seems that while they once weren't accepting returns for this item, you can get a replacement if the cans are dented and you call Amazon. And if they're from Sri Lanka, you can be sure they're going to be dented!

Old (1 star) review:
Another warning for anyone who orders this: if you get the cans from Sri Lanka, they WILL be watery, and they WILL be dented, and they're NOT eligible for a return.
You have been warned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Supply Shortage so Product Coming From Sri Lanka not Thailand, September 9, 2011
I love their product from Thailand. I don't like the product from Sri Lanka.
I don't want to have to warm the coconut oil prior to using in a cold smoothie,

during this six month lean period. We are only shipping Thai sourced
coconut milk
as of right now, but distributors and stores may still have Sri Lankan
sourced product.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Sincerely,
Joanna Freet
Edward & Sons Trading Co., Inc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait & Switch fraud!, September 2, 2011
Where I come from "bait & switch" is called fraud.
I thought that surely by now Amazon.com would have corrected this "bait & switch" problem of offering a premium coconut milk from Thailand, but then sending an inferior "oil & water'" product from Skri Lanka, since there were lots of reviews warning about this.
I had carefully verified that what I was ordering was truly from Thailand-but it is NOT! It is from Skri Lanka, instead.
ALSO, the product I received from Skri Lanka was in the old style yellow lined (Phenol lined?) cans-the yellow kind with the white stripe down the side that theoretically products you from the metals they use to seal the can! (And I am allergic to the chemical phenol!)
The Thailand product comes in a silver colored can-I opened both products today and did the comparision side by side.
So not only is Amazon.com allowing a bait & switch to happen, they are allowing an older style (a potentially harmful style) of can to be sold.
I had to use a couple of cans for a party tonight, but I will not eat it!
I have asked for my money back and cancelled by subscription, and will buy the rich creamy Thailand coconut milk from my health food store!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tasting - NO DENTS!, February 25, 2011
L. Murphy (Lake Havasu City, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I have used the Native Forest coconut milk for years. I have tried many others and this one is by far the best tasting, plus it is organic. I go through enough of it that I signed up for a recurring delivery of a case. It is going to save me quite a bit over purchasing locally at my grocery store. I read the reviews talking about dented cans but ordered anyway. Some that I buy at the grocery store are dented so I didn't feel it was a big deal either way. I received my case today and not a single can was dented.

Regarding the reviewer talking about the expiration date - please disregard. They do not understand the coding system that is used. As explained in my reply to that comment, the date code is a production code and is six letters. Those that I received today were BAAJCH which corresponded to a production date of September 10, 2009. This is only 5 months ago.

Also the same reviewer talking about solids in the can may not realize that when coconut milk is colder (below 76 degrees), the oil will solidify. If you want it all liquid and smooth put the can in a pan of warm water for a while.

This is an excellent product, even better with Amazon's special pricing and free shipping for recurring orders. This is also backed by Amazon's excellent customer service noted by the unhappy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, October 21, 2013
Topics in this Review/Summary:
....WHITE CAN LINING
....GUAR GUM
....DENTED CANS
....APPEARANCE AND STORAGE OF COCONUT MILK or CREAM
Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
PRICE
Yes, at $39.48 on 10/21/13, based on Prime pricing, it's up 43% in 21 months, but this is most likely supply & demand. It is an excellent product from a responsive company. It has been improved -- no Sri Lanka, no BPA (expensive testing), and (in my observation) higher fat content. BESIDES all that, the price would drop if you people wouldn't give it such great ratings/reviews and just keep it a secret.
...... 12/8/2013 UPDATE: Current Price $29.88, so it dropped $9.40 in 7 weeks.
...... That is basically same price I paid on March 24, 2012 and on June 16, 2013.
...... Lowest I've paid was $22 December 28, 2012. LESSON to be learned here --
...... watch the price and buy low if you're a habitual user like me. I'll check
...... when it arrives, and if anything has changed, I'll update this again.
...... I'm still wondering why I keep extolling the virtues of this product.
...... If demand goes up, so will the price.
......
...... 1/6/2014 UPDATE: Received latest case on Dec 9, 2013.
...... No dented cans. No BPA. From Thailand.
...... Waited until I got into 2nd can to report. It's the best I've ever had.
...... Over 2/3 content and the fat is white as snow. Taste is wonderful,
...... meaning almost no taste at all in the fat -- just a little sweet with a
...... slight coconut hint. I refrigerate it (see more on that below), so I
...... just spoon out the fat I need, then pour out some water. Mix-in solids
...... first if not using a blender or heating. The remainder goes in a pint
...... jar, sealed tight. I label the date. The first can was still good on
...... the 17th day. I normally do not try and keep it over 2 weeks after
...... opening. Use only clean spoons, don't let anything get into it, and
...... don't leave the cap off or keep it out of the 'fridge any longer than
...... you have to. If it's nearing the end of the 2 weeks, look near the end
...... of this review for the signs it might be turning to the Dark Side.
...... 6/23/2014 UPDATE: PRICE ANALYSIS
......
...... FIRST -- HOW MUCH FAT IN THE CAN?
...... After seeing usual first-quarter seasonal price jump, I was dismayed to
...... see many reports that fat content was way down. I actually cancelled
...... my order and will wait until fall. If the Edwards and Sons canneries
...... in Thailand are shorting the cans because coconuts are in short supply,
...... I hope some customers complained. I would not accept any product that
...... didn't match its label.
...... The labels show grams of 10 fat per serving, "about" 7 servings per
...... container. I just have to take that "about" as meaning between 6.5
...... and 7.5, giving a +/- 7% tolerance to these estimates.
...... So, 70g of fat per can, give or take 7%.
...... That and the price per can is all we need to find $/fat-gram and
...... compare prices between brands. Please let me know if I've missed
...... something here.
...... But, for benefit of looking at that fat layer (in the can, not the
...... waist), we need to convert can contents from milliliters to grams.
...... Per Chempro, the specific gravity of the oil (fat) is 0.917-0.919 @ 25°C.
...... Can holds 398ml. Not wanting to dust off my algebra, lets just make
...... the fat 20% by volume. Then you have 80% at SG of 1 (the water) and
...... 20% at SG of 0.918. Ave. SG = .2(0.918) + .8(1) = 0.9836. This means
...... the contents are slightly lighter than water, so the 398ml can holds
...... 0.9836 * 398 or 391g. You can see that the fat qty is not going to
...... make much difference in the weight (OK, mass) of the can contents.
...... The 70g of fat per label divided by 391g of contents means 18% of the
...... can must be fat after refrigerating to separate. The useable can
...... height is 4.14". 4.14 * 0.18 = 0.74 or almost 3/4" of fat.
...... Strange that the cans I bought in Dec. were at least 60% fat and the
...... label was the same. And there were a bunch of people in here
...... complaining about too many coin in their gold bag.
......
...... SECOND -- HOW DOES NATIVE FOREST FAT COMPARE TO OTHER BRANDS?
...... You may have to stretch you screen for this.
________________Case___Fat per___# of____Cans/__Tot Fat____$/g of_______Cost
Brand___________Price__Serving__Servings__Case___ /case_______FAT_______ /can
Native Forest___$29.88___10________7_______12_____840_____$0.0356_____$2.49
Natural Value___$38.79___18________4_______12_____864_____$0.0449_____$3.23
Thai Kitchen*___$41.40*__14________5_______12_____840_____$0.0493*____$3.45*
Mae Ploy**_____$ 6.50**_17________7________1**___ 1**____$0.0546_____$6.50
*In store (Harris-Teeter) $3.39/can, equiv. to $40.68/12. Brings $/g to $0.048.
**Sold by the 19oz can. Not organic. Has Sodium metabisulfite preservative.
......
...... At this writing, Native Forest is 26% lass than closest brand, Natural Value.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
In 2011, Edward & Sons Trading Co. was using a Sri Lankan source in Thailand's off-season. The product from Sri Lanka was reported to be less creamy. I've bought cases in 3/12, 7/12, 12/12, & 6/13 per my account records here. Never had any that were not labeled "Thailand." If you look at newer reviews & comments here your will see they are no longer sourcing from Sri Lanka. [See RECENT comments by S. C. Linkens & Amazshopper in 5/13 to the 9/2/11 review "Bait & Switch fraud!'].

RELATED PLUG -- If you like coconut milk, check out Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut OIL. I've done a review there if you want to know more. Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

OTHER ISSUES:
BPA IN CAN LINING
Per 4/2012 report from mfr of independent testing, there is virtually no (<0.2ppm) BPA in can lining. [See answer from CJ Sitko on September 23, 2013 to question "is the can bpa free."]

WHITE CAN LINING
There's a review here "Something changed again.....Possible BPA" by Lance Kett on October 11, 2013.
See 1st comment by Joel D. on 10/15/13. Per mfr, "This is our new liner that is a titanium dioxide based liner." It goes on from there.
This URL is likely to change, but what I see now is: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3HGCNXMN6A3Q1/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001HTJ2BQ&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

...... 2/1/2014 UPDATE: As result of post and comment by Lance Kett questioning why the "BPA-Free" was taken off the can, I wrote to Edwards & Sons Trading Co. again. Here is there answer, dated Jan. 10, 2014:
"Dear Mr. Creech,

"Thank you for your email. We actually never used to put a BPA Free Seal on our can, and we are unlikely to print 'BPA-Free' on cans until the FDA establishes a standard of identity for the 'BPA-Free' statement. To help explain our thinking, let's consider another claim that now appears on some of our packaging: 'Gluten Free'.

"According to Wikipedia: 'The legal definition of the phrase 'gluten-free'varies from country to country. Current research suggests that for persons with celiac disease the maximum safe level of gluten in a finished product is probably less than 0.02% (200 parts per million) and possibly as little as 0.002% (20 parts per million). Australian standards reserve the 'gluten free'label for foods with less than 5 parts per million (5ppm) of gluten, as this is the smallest amount currently detectable'. The US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) proposed that gluten must not be found at a minimum detection level of 20 ppm before a food may be designated as 'gluten-free'. FDA presented this proposal for public comment on August 3, 2011.

"So, to recap, FDA is leaning towards USA adoption of the international standard for 'Gluten-Free', which is 20 ppm. Australia has a stricter standard of 5ppm. Edward & Sons' items must test 'negative' for gluten at the 5ppm detection limit before we will make the Gluten Free (GF) claim on packaging of those items.

"However, when it comes to BPA, there is NO USA OR INTERNATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE TERM 'BPA-FREE'. We do not want to confuse or mislead consumers by establishing a standard of our own. We realize that it is impossible to prove the absence of anythng. All we can demonstrate is that the substance in question -- in this case, BPA -- is not detectable at the limits of our analysis. Before we will add a can to our 'No BPA Detected'list, that can has tested negative for BPA to a lower limit of 0.2 parts per million (for our new coconut milk lining it is 0.1 ppb). We admit, that's a pretty small amount. Nevertheless, we think it best to wait for the US FDA or a reputable International regulatory body to specify a standard for the 'BPA-Free' claim before we add that declaration to our cans.

"Best Regards,

Hannah Stonecypher"
(Edward & Sons Trading Co.)
I hope this settles the BPA matter, but it will probably surface again.

GUAR GUM
[revised 11/21/13 to include this] Per mfr, product contains "a tiny amount (less than 1%) of organic guar gum from seeds of the guar plant." That works out to about 3.5 grams per can if the <1% is by weight. Since it's a powder, by volume it would be much less. This is used an emulsifier. (If more than 1% it could be a thickening agent.) Some people with intestinal trouble report problems from guar gum. In larger quantities (and I suspect in dry form, sometimes used for weight loss), it can cause gas, diarrhea, or, in some cases, constipation. Also in larger quantities, it can interfere with the action of the drug Metformin (Glucophage), used to control blood sugar in diabetics. Keep in mind that this guar gum is already diluted. It's already absorbed as much water as it can. It is not going to expand anymore in your gut.

Guar gum has no toxicity. I'm certain that 3.6 grams (if you drank a whole can) will not cause a problem for most people. If you have a sensitivity to guar gum, you'll probably already know it. There's a lot more in ice cream, for instance. A gluten-free Website says "guar gum and xanthan gum are two of the most well-known ingredients in gluten free cooking." One reason I know this Native Forest product contains very little guar gum is that it is not very emulsified. If you break up the fat and shake it up, it will separate again in 24 hrs at room temp.

DENTED CANS
(1) This is shipping damage caused by slack pickers, sorters, handlers, loaders, or delivery drivers. Inspect all pkgs ASAP upon receipt. I you see any damage, go to Your Account to report this and ask for a return authorization. [See reviewer's statements about returns titled "Sri Lanka - UPDATED" by Tyler Fenby on August 23, 2011. As of this writing, it's under "Most Helpful" reviews]

(2) Is the dent so bad that wall may be weakened and thus leak; so sharp that the lining is broken and the product is exposed to the bare metal; or so distorted that it will be hard to open?

If no to all above, there is only one problem IMHO*. That is if the contents spoil, the internal pressure might not pop out the ends. Now how many people even know that is why the ends of cans have the concentric ridges? For that matter, when's the last time anyone has seen a can with popped-out ends?

APPEARANCE AND STORAGE OF COCONUT MILK or CREAM
I have gone through 3.8 cases, 12 ea, of Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk in the last 21 mo. That's 4.8 gal. Yum. Before I discovered this at Amazon, I bought it off the shelf where I could find it and paid more for less quality. I figure 10 gallons of the stuff over 4 years. In that period, for whatever reason, my LDL (bad) cholesterol has gone down & HDL & triglycerides are up.

What I have found is that the fat content varies some between cases and even between cans to a lesser degree. (BTW, fat is what most people WANT when buying coconut milk or cream.) My current batch is less than half liquid and the rest is pure white cream (fat). I have seen as little as 1/4 fat, so this is an improvement. I would suggest that if you're not seeing at least 25% fat (refrigerate to separate) that you contact Edward & Sons and if they do not satisfy your concerns, contact Amazon. Maybe you could get a refund if it came to that.

Regardless of what you've read, I've found that it keeps longer if refrigerated from when you get it until you consume it. It you want it mixed, break up the fat with a spoon & shake it. If going in a smoothie or other blended recipe, there's no need to break it up. Just get as much fat as you want off the top, then make a hole with the spoon to get the liquid you want.

If your recipe needs it better emulsified, let the amount you're going to use immediately to warm a little and mix again. Do NOT HEAT coconut milk/cream unless cooking with it. It will break down and not keep as long. Heating most food also breaks down nutrients. Keep in mind this is an organic product with no preservatives. After opening a can, transfer any unused amount immediately to a clean pint jar with a tight-fitting lid, label with the date, and return to 'fridge. I have found it will last 2-3 weeks like this.

It's very easy to tell when it is starting to "turn" . . .
-- by sight: Grayish tint swirled or layered in liquid and more stages of separation than just liquid & fat,
-- by smell: slightly fermented odor,
-- and by taste: too "coconutty".

My last (12/12) case before this one would keep 3 weeks in plastic container after opening. When I noticed the current batch (6/13) was keeping only 10 days or so, I moved remaining cans to 'fridge and started using the glass jar. The last 8 cans stored like this have lasted 2 - 3 weeks (maybe would be longer as I've not had any go past about 16 days before consuming).

(*Re: bent cans) This is what I learned years ago when in the grocery business while in college. That was before any cans were lined except for varnish that was probably worse than BPA or galvanizing (zinc) when contents were acid, e.g. tomatoes. Pineapple still comes in zinc-plated cans. Of course, real "tin" cans were either made of tin or an alloy of tin or tin-plated steel. Now they're all steel or the more expensive aluminum. I suspect this is because steel with a coating is cheaper than tin plating. Early cans had tin/lead solder on the seams. This is what caused so many stupid radio talk show hosts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Organic Coconut Milk, January 14, 2011
No dented cans. BPA free. Tasty and creamy. Quality is good, and the price is better than anywhere else. Thanks Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dented Cans & AVOID The Product of SRI LANKA cans, April 22, 2011
At least half of my cans came dented. And they were packed that way, not dented in transit. **** Also, be sure to call the company to ask if they are Product of Thailand or Product of Sri Lanka. (It is printed on the back of the cans.) They have a different supplier in Sri Lanka which waters down the milk -- the cans sound like water when you shake them, not like thick creamy coconut milk (as in the Thailand cans). And it is NOT that the flesh settles to the bottom -- it is watery all the way through. Completely different product and the watered down cans just don't produce as nice a product in the kitchen :(. Beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a pleasant experience, August 28, 2011
Pantograph (Carlsbad, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We bought a case of this coconut milk based on the lack of BPA in the packaging, but we were not happy with the product. It smells strange, is quite watery, and gave both my wife and I an upset stomach on two occasions that we tried it. (Our cans came from Sri Lanka, but weren't dented.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cancelled my monthly order after trying it., July 12, 2011
We are a dairy free family who use coconut milk as a substitute, so I am pretty familiar with coconut milk. I had purchased several cans of Native Forest from a retail store and liked it - I use it in my coffee as a creamer. However, the stuff that was delivered to me through Amazon was completely different that the cans I bought at the store. The milk is very thin (which I don't mind) and incredibly oily. I shook the cans thoroughly before I opened them, but you can see the oil floating at the top. The milk separates when in the fridge with the coconut oil forming a thick layer on top. There is an odd flavor to the milk, too. I am so bummed I have to go through 12 cans of this before I can order some Thai Kitchen.

Rate and Discover Movies