5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!
Published on November 10, 2010 by Dkmafia

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out!!!
I am unable to use the maschine I purchased because the seller sold me one where it's previous used failed to deactivate their maschine account .therefore I cannot activate the disk it came with and use the program. Native instruments will not help assist me in anyway I called several times and left emails. I have had it for 5 months or so and it is a paperweight I can...
Published 4 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Native Instruments Maschine Groove Production Studio (Electronics)
This is pretty much the coolest thing ever invented. Does more then stated on the box or the advertising material and is fairly easy to use. At the moment I have this and Traktor (NI's vinyl reproduction software) run through my studio. I create a beat or hook on Maschine upload to Traktor and I have custom vinyl. Seriously, a basic layout could take you 5-10 minutes with Maschine, and a full production could be done in as little as an hour or two (of course that is if you knew exactly what you wanted).

I did a tremendous amount of homework before I bought every piece in my studio and have been doing music (DJ, producing etc..) as a hobby for over twenty years (god I feel old saying that) and this is by far the best purchase I ever made next to my 1200s of course :p

The only "problem" I currently have with Maschine is that recording outside sources doesn't work. I have also never bothered to troubleshoot this, so it might be user error.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment for my studio (possibly ever.), June 28, 2011
This is the piece of gear I have been waiting to find for decades now. It's essentially an MPC (1000, 2000 etc) that connects and integrates directly with your computer (your computer is doing the work, the Maschine interface is just a USB controller that has custom functions for Maschine.) You can run Maschine in Stand Alone mode - which is my preferred method - which allows you to use Maschine as the center of your studio - connect audio ins/outs, samples, external midi gear, effects.. then it's got internal effects, sounds, beats, kits, a SICK sequencer, note repeat and one of the easiest workflows to learn of all music gear on the market. Maschine also runs as a plug-in (for Ableton, Logic, Cubase, etc.) and comes with stock templates to use your Maschine controller as (for instance) an Ableton LIve master controller with transport control, clip control, levels, mutes, etc. (This feature has kept me from craving a launchpad or apc40.)

Maschine comes with an incredible sound library, it's dead simple to make beats, simple to sequence (anything), simple to sample (anything), easy to chop samples (by transients/sensitivity, by time, by tempo and by rhythm (1/6th notes for instance). Its got enough (solid) sounds and effects that you could make an album with nothing but this piece of kit. As of version 1.6 Maschine allows you to use VST plug ins inside the program. With VST integration you can use effects or instruments and they can be applied to individual sounds, to groups, or to the master. Flexibility of routing and the number of VSTs really depends on your computer's power but I haven't had very many crashes. Because your computer runs as the processor your limit of samples and sequences is almost limitless with today's computer hardware.

I've created music in reason, ableton, cubase, hardware, grooveboxes, synths... and Maschine is one of the most fun instruments / production studios I've ever used. I now go to maschine first to begin compositions or sketch ideas. It's fast and (oh yeah) --- I forgot to mention the best part. In stand-alone mode you almost NEVER have to touch a mouse or look at your computer screen. You'll type for saving track names or you may drag files in/out with the mouse.. but otherwise you'll be performing with the pads and knobs and ignoring your computer screen. This is a massive WIN in my book.

Can't say enough positive things about this technology. If you are making hip hop, house, techno, d+b, dubstep, glitch, grime, low end funk or other electronic music - you need one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality controller and software., November 26, 2012
This is a good quality and very flexible controller that comes with good software for creating most forms of music. The latest 1.8 update to the software and firmware adds several useful new functions.. and NI seem committed to improving Maschine on a fairly regular basis. I docked one star simply because the sensitivity and feel of the pads is not quite up there with Akai's equivalents.. but for the price, it's a pretty good piece of equipment overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Intuitive, March 1, 2011
I haven't played music for about 10 years, and was suddenly inspired to get back into it. I'd never played an MPC, never really produced anything... and while I still have a long way to go, Maschine makes it a really fun process. With all the videos people have posted online, and the intuitive layout, and frequent software improvements, I'm all around very happy with what I've been able to do in just a short time.

The pads feel great on the Maschine. MPCs felt a little squishy to me, or required a lot of force. These are firm and responsive. The backlighting is also a great feature, watching a beat play out visually is really helpful as you add layers to a project. I'm really happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for serious music production!!!, April 14, 2011
All I have to say is OMG! It's solid, looks fantastic in the studio and the build is strong. As far production.... Please I found myself banging out beats in 10-15 mins easy!!! The fun in music production is back, and it is here to stay thanks to maschine. Any type of music maschine will hold you down.This in my honest opinion is the MPC killer. Don't get me wrong the mpc is great but it's nothing like the maschine. Maschine provides full integration with any DAW or can be used as a standalone via USB input. Also the drag and drop feature is amazing and simple. You need effects maschine has you covered, you can mix full projects within maschine. If you take music production serious you shouldn't be without maschine.

4.0 out of 5 stars impressive, December 8, 2012
am now learning how to use it but looks great so far haven't realized any mess yet , hope it goes same way through out

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Maschine., December 23, 2012
Very nice machine could be a handful to learn if you are new to this, it does have a high learning curve initially and takes a lot of practice but you will find your self immersed for hours on this thing, 5/5 stars, well deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes with a ton of great sounds and samples, November 8, 2014
Eric (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
My AKAI MPD32 was immediately replaced as my main MIDI pad controller as soon as the Maschine was connected for the first time. The software is intuitive and can run as a VST plugin in any other DAW software that I have tried. I was a die hard FL Studio user for years, but very much prefer the features and workflows offered by Maschine. I have my AKAI MPD32 connected via MIDI for convenient 'keyboard' mode of any individual pad.

The unit is very durable and weighs next to nothing. When going to parites etc, I throw my Macbook Pro, Maschine, and Komplete Audio 6 interface in a laptop bag and I have an entire studio that can be plugged into anything that plays sound. Interops seamlessly with all other Native Instruments products, and is a blast to use with the Traktor S4 for 'on the fly' live performances.

Comes with a ton of great sounds and samples, will sample from any external source when paired with a good audio interface, and expansion packs are cheap ($49). Youtube has countless tutorial videos to get the most out of it, I'd recommend checking them out if contemplating purchasing this. The Maschine Studio has since come out, but this unit serves every purpose that I need, so I am sticking with it.

Whether new to production or an experienced user (MPC, etc.), you should definitely give the Maschine a shot. You will undoubtedly be not only impressed, but addicted immediately. Highly recommended by someone who has used every 'workstation' out there for well over 15 years.

Fair warning: I could not seem to get this to work with any of my Windows laptops (XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1) without latency after 10 minutes or so of use. It does work just fine with all of these OS's on my desktop machines. Curiously, when running all of these OS's on my Macbook via Bootcamp, it runs like a dream. On a Macbook Pro, I run it for 10-12 hours straight without any latency at all (I would definitely recommed using a mac with this product, even if just running Windows in Bootcamp).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Great price, March 5, 2013
The first generation Maschine is a fantastic instrument, and a great value with the reduced pricing. I've used it for over 2 years, and it has become the centerpiece of my pre-production studio. Its probably the best thing to happen to music production since the MPC. The controller is compact and lightweight, so its very portable. It fits comfortably in my laptop backpack. Perfect for producers on the go, live performers, DJ's and the like. With regards to the software, its only limitations are your imagination and the processing power of your computer. As far as music making goes, Maschine is really intuitive and does wonders for your workflow. The drum pads are among the best on any MIDI controller, and the hardware syncs perfectly with the software. So much that you may find yourself looking at the computer screen less and less over time, which is key for individuals who prefer working with outboard gear. It comes packed with over 6 gigs of sounds. I can't say enough about it. Would recommend to anyone looking to add a high quality production tool to their setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Production ready and easy to use, October 11, 2012
I'm not going to get too wordy because I need to get back to my Maschine as soon as possible to make some more music. First, let me say that this is not just a beat machine. It has it's own included DAW that's very user-friendly. Speaking of user-friendly, I've tried other DAWs including spending a great deal of money on FL Studio, but making music with that DAW was very unorthodox in my opinion and I never really understood it. As soon as I installed the Maschine plus incuded software I was making beats instantly and full songs in one sitting. I don't know how Native Instruments did it, but this thing is super easy which leaves me questioning why other DAWs are so difficult to learn. The production quality is superb and most of my friends who use other DAWs can't believe that I'm making music with just Maschine (sometimes I add my midi keyboard for chords). That's pretty much all I have to say. It's a great product and I highly recommend it. I'll soon be Pro Tools certified, but the Maschine along with the Komplete products will be my main DAW.

Note: Some reviewers have complained about the customer service of Native Instruments in regards to not receiving serial numbers for purcahsed instruments/bundles in a timely manner. I discovered that if you pay online with Paypal as opposed to a credit card you get the serial number instantly or at least by the next business day.

Native Instruments Maschine Groove Production Studio