Published 17 months ago by B. Hiltbrand

3.0 out of 5 stars -- VARIATIONS ON A ROCKIN THEME --
Irelands One Republic offer a bold heart pumping
rock inspired alternative to most of this years new
releases with ' Native ' .

Lyrically creative this band can bang out great songs
Counting Stars and their hit Love Runs Out worthy of
any play list, What You Wanted and Burning Bridges
show the same resolve .

The word Same...
Published 5 days ago by peter christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album. OneRepublic continues to make quality music on quality albums., March 26, 2013
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
In OneRepublic's latest album, "Native" brings a fresh new sound to the group's already impressive resume of music. Overall, the album is quite a bit more upbeat than the previous two. I absolutely loved the first two albums, and this one adds to that love. While Dreaming Out Loud and Waking Up both had a few slower, almost melancholy songs, "Native" seems to have a happier feel to it. Even the slower songs on the album seem quite a bit more "full".

The album starts off with a simple intro in "Counting Stars" that bursts into what has become probably my most favorite song on the album. Right away it's apparent that OneRepublic has decided to experiment a little with their iconic sound this time.

As the album moves on to "If I Lose Myself" and "Feel Again" (The album's leading singles), the energy stays constant. "If I Lose Myself" has an almost club-like feel to it, while "Feel Again" sounds very much like the traditional OneRepublic sound.

"What You Wanted" is a continuation of that iconic sound, followed by "I Lived". This song has an easy-going simple feel to it. I really like this song, as it has a wonderful message. The song is about making sure that you make the most of life and not let it pass you by. One line in the chorus line sums it up by stating: "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

The album then moves in to "Light it Up". This song seems to be another experiment. It's a pretty catchy, new sound for OneRepublic. "Can't Stop" follows, also being a little different. This song is also incredibly catchy. I think the reason for that is the drum beat.

The album slows down here a bit, with "Au Revoir" and "Burning Bridges". The first brings in the cello sound that I love and had up until now been absent in the album. The later starts slower, but picks up into a traditional One Republic feel.

"Something I Need" is a great song that starts out acoustic and builds. I like the line in the chorus here that states: "If we only die once, I wanna die with you." I really like the song that follows, "Preacher". It's hard to describe why I like it. I think that it's mostly because it's just an easy going song with a catchy beat. "Don't Look Down" was kind of a disappointment, but an understandable ending to the album, as it's just a nice outro.

I got this album as a deluxe edition, so I don't know that the last songs are included in the regular version. "Something's Gotta Give" comes next. Admittedly, this is one of my less favorite songs in the album, as I just couldn't get into it. However, "Native" ends strong with "Life in Color". This song is so upbeat. And really is a kaleidoscope of sound. As I listen to this song, I can easily envision the colors that OneRepublic's music creates. It is a great end to a great album.

Overall, I love this album. I have enjoyed the previous two albums, and this one didn't disappoint. The only think I wish OneRepublic would have done would be to incorporate the cello sound more into the songs. I absolutely love their use of the cello, and I missed it in their newest album. That being said, it is still a wonderful album that is sure to captivate both the long-time fan and the newcomer alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase. Enjoyable Throughout., July 11, 2014
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
This is a great album, first one I ever purchased by OneRepublic. The 2014 CD re-issue includes "Love Runs Out," the single that prompted me to give this CD a full listen and eventually purchase. The rest of the album also enjoyable and I highly recommend.

Here is the tracklist of this US re-release:

1. "Counting Stars"
11. "Something I Need"
12. "Preacher"
13. "Don't Look Down"
14. "Life in Color"
15. "If I Lose Myself" (Alesso vs. OneRepublic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather good, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
"Native" is OneRepublic's third album and I must say, it's a lot better than I expected it to be. The bouncy shimmery "Counting Stars" opens the album, followed by lead single "If I lose myself" which reminds one initially of their mega hit "Apologize" before picking up a bouncy beat.

"Light It Up" is a gritty rocker with an anthemic chant and Ryan Tedder singing in a disembodied falsetto. "Can't Stop" is a ballad with crashing beats which reminds you that Tedder penned smashes for Leona Lewis, Adele and Beyoncé. In fact, the tender piano ballad "Au Revoir" wouldn't sound out of place on an Adele album.

Tedder gets to soar vocally on "Burning Bridges", while the biographical ballad "Preacher" finds him reminiscing about his Pastor grandfather. Closing is the brief swirling "Don't Look Down" with choral flourishes. Rather good.

5.0 out of 5 stars On second glance, this is a masterpiece., October 18, 2013
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
At first listen the songs kind of floated by, but as we go through life, we find meaning in songs that we didn't think we ever would. "Feel Again" stood out right away, but other songs like "Counting Stars" and "Preacher" I came to love. Great CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, October 25, 2013
Ryan (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
I purchased this album when their only single off of it was "Feel Again". After listening to the rest of the album I was very impressed. I have only been a fan of a few of their songs in the past. Some of my new favorites are "If I lose Myself" "Something I Need" and "Preacher". Now officially a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars They won't ever top this!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
I really liked their first album and a few songs on the second, but when did the lead learn to sing like this!? There was nothing to prepare me for this album. It came out of nowhere, the great sound is there, a little more upbeat, and man can this guy sing! It is so good, there is no way they can top this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Native (MP3 Music)
I like their sound - which was consistent throughout the album.
Some great tunes for speeding up my walking too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the whole thing!!, May 29, 2014
This is one of the best albums in recent years. All of the songs are likable if not one of my favorite songs. There's enough variety that it's fun to sit and listen to the whole thing at once, but each song stands strong on its own. There's a reason this band has sold the most digital downloads of a song of all time with an older song. I don't doubt they could do the same with any of these, especially Counting Stars. Plus at the price I got it it was a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great surprise, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Native (MP3 Music)
I love this album from the writing, music and the meaning it has to me. The many different songs combine to make a very interesting, smart and multifaceted album. A new favorote as soon as I bought it. Great job OneRepublic :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One Republic Hits It Out of the Park, July 24, 2014
This review is from: Native (Audio CD)
I thought I already reviewed this CD, but it's worth repeating. If you like Counting Stars, you'll love this album! Love Runs Out is so much fun, too: When you're in your car, you'll find yourself beating on the dashboard to the rhythm of this hit. Those two songs get me dancing all over the house as soon as they begin. They are the first two songs, so I find myself repeating them constantly. There are other songs that are great with wonderful catch lines with deep messages and some that take a few more listens to absorb, so give the entire album a chance. The dark lyrics of Counting Stars are cloaked in such a beautiful melody, but they "make me feel alive." They do one song that shows a more alternative rock sound, which just proves that they have more chops to them than just top 40 rock, but damn! One Republic has hit it out of the park and deserves the recognition with this album.

Native
Native by OneRepublic (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies