Published on March 23, 2011 by PT Cruiser

Published on April 5, 2011 by Jeffrey Stanley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool - Sorta Gimmicky - Very functional, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Native Union Solo Handset - MM05-BLK-ST - Black Soft Touch (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This handset is a really nice accent piece on my desk. I'll talk a little about style, usability, and functionality.

In terms of style, this handset is really sleek! I love that it kinda sits on a desk as a phone would (without the base of course). It stays in place also - doesn't slide around. The feel of the phone is really nice. Smooth like the feel of fine grain leather. I'm not a big fan of the "wiredness" of the handset but the connection never cuts out!

The reason I thought I would really like this was because I like having the feel of a real phone when I'm at work...sometimes the bluetooth doesn't work properly and even when it is working people don't realize that you're on the phone and talk to you anyways! This doesn't happen when using this accessory. Also, when using the iPhone "handsfree" i.e. using it when you're working on something else with both hands, really strains your neck after a while (Anyone older than 25 here probably remembers TNS - Taco Neck Syndrome). This really minimizes that feeling.

Functionally, it has a "Function" button that drops calls and redials calls, etc. Everything else you'd control from your phone just as you would any other wired or wireless handsfree receiver. No volume buttons (haven't decided if thats a plus or minus) and no other buttons that really make this thing confusing. Call volume is just fine...not quiet, not loud (I usually prefer headsets that are on the louder side and this one was just fine). Clarity is actually quite good.

If you're into having a "real phone" to talk on, you'll really enjoy this. If you couldn't care less, its not something you *have to have*

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek looking handset that works great with my Blackberry and iTouch, March 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This sleek looking little handset has a lot of uses. I ordered it to use with my Blackberry when I'm making calls at home or in a hotel and would rather talk into a regular handset than into the mobile device. It's 8 inches long like a standard handset, but much lighter and sleeker so fits easily into a briefcase to take along. It has kind of an elegant, high tech look to it. If you're concerned about health effects of radiation from cell phones, this is a good way to cut down, at least at times when using a handset is convenient.

The phone is black, has the earphone at the top, mic on the bottom and a push button in between that you can use to pick up or hang up a cell phone. The cord with the connector is over 9 feet when stretched and hardwired to the phone. It has a rubberized soft touch finish that has a nice feel to it and keeps it from slipping when balancing the phone on your shoulder. The jack fits my Blackberry and my iTouch. There's a splitter cable included to connect the phone to a computer for use with computer based phone services. The sound quality is excellent.

The button on the phone works for making voice activated calls on my Blackberry and for hanging up or answering calls. I found that I can also make calls on my 2nd generation iTouch using a Vonage Facebook app for free calls to Facebook contacts who use the same application, or if I wanted to subscribe to their mobile service via WiFi this handset would work as well. There are several other apps that you can download to an iTouch that you could use with this handset, such as Skype, Fring or Line2, if you have a constant WiFi connection.

There's a voice recorder app on my iTouch that I can use with this handset. There are also several other apps like The Voice Machine and Vlingo that you could try. All in all, this is a great little device that is simple to use and fills a need when I want my cell phone to be more like a landline phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fully Functional Gimmick, April 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an LG Chocolate Touch feature phone that, like the Droid X and HTC Incredible, is all touch screen and nothing wears it out more than my stubbly face rubbing against it constantly and then it gets sweaty as I struggle to keep it to my face. While I substitute this issue with my Plantronics Voyager 1 bluetooth headset, at home I want something that doesn't require a battery as the phone is charging.

With the MM05 headset, I solved pretty much all those issues as it is easy to hold up against my face and connects to my phone with no issues at all. I was afraid the MM05 wouldn't be compatible with anything that didn't have the iPhone or Android OS system, but was impressed to notice that it not only interfaced perfectly but required no firmware updates. It just worked quite literally out of the box.

The rubbery finish on the headset means no residue or wear from my incredibly stubbly face (it's a genetic thing) and can take quite a bit of abuse as I've already dropped it on my linoleum floor more times than I care to admit. The cord also seems to be of higher than average quality as it doesn't coil easily or warp from being stretched too far.

And as if that wasn't enough, it interfaces with my skype program as well, which I use daily.

However, the item is a gimmick of sorts as it's something that can easily be alleviated by a bluetooth headset. Again, however, I wanted something that didn't require battery power since I'm on the phone a lot and I use my Voyager on the road constantly. I may be only a Best Buy employee, but I'm constantly on the go/phone working out stuff for my other projects so the battery gets used up a lot.

All in all, the MM05 is a decent investment for anyone wanting something other than a bluetooth headset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Comfortable - Good for Skype Too, April 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Moshi Moshi handset is one of the most comfortable handsets I have used in a very long time. They almost make long conference calls bearable.

The biggest question I've had with these handsets is, Why? Why plug something this bulky into your phone? Why go backwards in time? Why?

After using the original Moshi Moshi Native Union MM01H Moshi Moshi Retro Handset for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry and Mobile Phones (Soft Touch Black) for almost a year, I can say these are the most comfortable, nicest way to use a cell phone. They are counterintuitive. Bluetooth headsets seem like a much better idea. Having a handset to hold and prop against your shoulder just works well - handsets were the standard phone device for ages.

The great news with this particular version - this handset fits perfectly propped up by my shoulder. The slim body is very easy to hold with my shoulder. The speaker is wide enough that even if the phone is off centered from my ear, the conversation is still loud and clear. Most cell phones have a very narrow circle to center over the ear. With my iPhone4, I never have a problem hearing a conversation, the volume is louder and clearer than with just the phone. There is a small amount of noise cancellation with the handset - I'm guessing the microphone is a little bit more directional; therefore it doesn't pick up as much side noise.

The finish on this thing is a pleasure. The handset is plastic, but finished with a satin feel. It's hard to describe, but feels very nice in my hand, adding a bit of grip.

The cord is just long enough that a phone can sit comfortably on a table, in my pocket, or on the seat next to me. I'm not totally clear if this qualifies as a handsfree device to use while driving, I would guess not. On the other hand, the policeman might just laugh at the device and give out a warning.

There's a center button on the handset that is used to answer or hang up a call. Other than that, plug this device in, and use it just like an old school phone.

This handset can also be used plugged into a computer. The box includes an adapter that splits the microphone and headphone sides of the plug. This thing works really great for Skype calls. The phone was recognized immediately by my MacBook Pro (OSX) and my Windows PC's (XP, Vista, and Win7). It makes video calls more private.

For those of you that are worried about radiation from a cell phone affecting your brain, this device is the perfect cure. There is nothing but a speaker and microphone inside the handset - I don't think either of these has ever been associated with health risks from the radiation they do not emit. Since the cord is a few feet long, and the radiation from a phone falls off very quickly as the phone is moved away (square inverse law), the phone is positioned far enough away that there is virtually no radiation on your head or ears. Bluetooth headsets do contain a weak radio transmitter, so they could transmit some radiation.

Moshi Moshi's are a weird beast. I love mine for long conference calls where a speakerphone just doesn't cut it. The handset is light, comfortable to hold, and fits perfectly between my shoulder and ear. It's a darn nice device for not a lot of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great with iPhone, soso with android, good with iPad and Mac, April 5, 2011
Jeffrey Stanley (Wichita, KS United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The main reason for the three star review is that I really don't care for the shape of it. The speaker does not press squarely with my ear and I find it uncomfortable to use. I'm sure I would like the more traditional shape better. Te way it is shaped means that I needed a louder volume than I would have otherwise. I honestly don't see the usefulness of this item unless you really hate your phone's speaker. It isn't hands-free, it isn't any more convenient than just using the handset. I didn't find the quality to be any better than my iPhone or my LG Optimus.

I tried it with five different devices:

My old iPhone 3GS
It worked best with iPhone. It responded well to using the big button for voice commands, and hanging up or answering a call.

My work blackberry (antiquated model)
Worked just fine. Just like the iPhone, the single button design worked for answering, ending, and voice commands.

My LG Android Optimus V
It worked as a phone, but the big button just made an MP3 start playing. The button was useless on my Android phone.

iPod touch.
I used the Ooma software to make a successful VoIP call, it also worked the same on my iPad.

MacBook pro.
Worked fine to replace speakers and mic. Should be fine if you make VoIP calls on your mac.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it a lot, April 19, 2011
GX (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Using this handset in combination with a MicroCell produces absolutely stellar voice quality. I have previously kept a landline phone in addition to wireless for voice quality reasons - but now with this setup I have no qualms about going purely cellular.

The handset is sleek and minimalistic; the matte soft touch surface will look great anywhere and the cord seems to be pretty tough.

Although I love the shape it doesn't truly fit into your hand's (a little too small) and after a long call you may feel a bit of finger strain. Still way better ergonomics than a cellphone though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the retro handset, December 21, 2011
ShopperNY (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this because I don't like holding my cell phone up to my head all the time and bluetooth also emits radiation. This works well. I hear callers and they seem to hear me clearly. The button on my handset mutes and un-mutes, doesn't hang up as the product advertises, but that's not a big deal for me. Also the size and shape is a bit slim, but overall, I am satisfied. I happened to see the retro handset in a store where I had a credit and thought I'd buy that one and return this one, but the call quality on the retro handset was far inferior. I could barely hear my callers and they could barely hear me. I did a side-by-side test with one caller, switching back and forth between the 2 handsets and for both me and the caller, this one provided far superior volume and clarity. I did think the retro handset was a bit more comfortable, but it's useless if no one can hear me. I am keeping this and returning the other.

2.0 out of 5 stars ARRRGGGHHHH!!!, August 18, 2011
Photoscribe "semi-renaissance man" (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The unit I got doesn't have an adapter that fits any of my mobiles!! Darned shame too, the danged thing looks so sleek, like Eero Sarinen designed it....

Yo, Native Union.... Tracfone's a pretty widespread outfit.....make an adapter that fits them.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Skype, July 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this to talk with my sister in Europe....via Skype. I was just using a 90's era microphone for the voice part and it was acceptable, but not great. To validate after I got it, I started out talking to my sister on the old unit, told her to wait, switched to the new unit and she could tell the difference right away. So could I. It was at least twice as accurate. I noticed that I picked up a well true sound from my sister's place in Belgium. I really think it is neat.

I know you can also use it with cell phones so you don't have to place the phone by your ear.....but can use this firm, yet plush phone instead.

I like it and rate it very good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable and Buzzy, May 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this to use with my Motorola TracFone and immediately there was a problem...the jack was the wrong size. A call to Native Union quickly solved that problem when they sent me a complementary adapter.

In use, the handset is too thin to be useful as a traditional handset and is impossible to hold between my ear and shoulder. Even when a SoftTalk Telephone Shoulder Rest is attached it is too thin. While made of a nice grippy material, it is difficult for my ham hands to comfortably hold for any length of time. On my phone the handset on-off button doesn't do anything. While conversations sound fine on my end of the call, those on the other end report an annoying buzz when the handset is plugged in. That alone is enough for me to relegate this to the bottom drawer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›