5.0 out of 5 stars Best canned cat food for the price!
Published on September 23, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent quality recently
Published 13 months ago by Linda Zukowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Best canned cat food for the price!, September 23, 2011
I adopted my cat from the local shelter about 7 years ago. We bought him the standard Purina dry cat food from the grocery store and he was fine for a couple years, until he started throwing up a lot. His stomach would hurt so bad he would hide in a closet or a corner and just moan. We took him to the vet and they told us he had a sensitive stomach; they said we either needed to change his food or he would have to get steroid shots every couple months--obviously we opted for new food, which they recommended as science diet sensitive stomach (only available in dry). His symptoms got better but he still threw up a lot and his coat was dull and full of dandruff.

So, we did our homework, and found out that science diet is the fancy brand for Purina--full of fillers and unidentifiable ingredients (and costs the same as higher-end, natural foods to boot!). After much research we chose to try Natural Balance canned food due to it being relatively inexpensive and also full of natural ingredients. Right away we noticed a difference in our cat. He hasn't thrown up since, his coat is full, shiny, and beautiful, and he loves the taste of it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Trust me, it's worth the cost to keep your cat healthy and strong! Couldn't be happier with the results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent quality recently, December 2, 2013
Been feeding this to my two cats for years and I've always liked the quality. However, I've noticed inconsistent quality in the last two cases I purchased. The food in some of the cans was like a thick soup, and in other cans, it was so dry I had to add water. Del Monte bought this company earlier this year (2013) -- they're the company that produces marginal quality cat food such as 9 Lives and Meow Mix. I wonder if the quality problems I've begun to notice in Natural Balance are related to Del Monte taking over. It might be time for me to find another food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest quality I could find @ $30 per case and under for 24 cans of 6 Oz., March 5, 2013
This review is from: Natural Balance Canned Cat Food, Chicken and Liver Pate Recipe, 24 x 6 Ounce Pack (Misc.)
About a year ago, I rescued a cat who has be come a very good friend. "Well of course" I hear many of you say... "most cats are good friends". Only difference here was that I'd had dogs for 60 years and n o cats... wouldn't hear of one.

As we all know, things change and I do believe I've been converted into a cat person. There was, of course, much to learn starting with... first hurdle; "why is Murphy barfing all the time?" Like Dr's, there are good vets and not so good vets and I didn't want to go through finding a solution based on a 3rd person opinion... this was diet not heart problems for gosh sakes.

To make a long story boring, I read up on feline nutrition, formed opinions and went looking. Old Murphy certainly gave me a run for my money... I'd buy a case of something and he wouldn't touch the first can. We quickly (thank G) found Natural Balance and solved the nutrition issue (forever I hope).

If you do your own reading, you will quickly discover that dry food is NOT the right diet for cats... it's why their barfing. They like the taste, the manufacturers have seen to that and good for the teeth cause it's crunchy. But it should not be the core of a cat's diet... they need meat, they are complete carnivores. The only drawback with wet food is that it's soft which isn't ideal unless you like toothless cats. Just give them a side bowl of dry food to crunch and you both have the best of both worlds.

From what I could find and not just at Amazon quality wet food is going to be in the $1 a day vicinity so call it good at @$30/month. If you time your orders correctly, Amazon will ship this free t0 the 48. I don't believe you will find better food for the dollar. Murphy is 17 lb. and eats 1/2 + can a day. As mentioned he also gets a small sidebowl of a top brand dry food. I've come to believe that cats can tell time. If I'm still at the computer working, the vocal lecturing begins promptly at 5:00.
================================
Murphy is now settled in at 1 can a day and no dry food. If there was any doubt it vanished when his coat took on the consistency of silk. I catch him 1or 2 times a day acting like a kitten... playing with string and jetting around the place at top speed. The right food does make an amazing difference !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance of price, quality and hey six ounce cans!, November 27, 2012
J-J-J-Jinx (Silicon Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Twice a day my cats get a variety of canned, dry and raw food customized for each cat. I like to give them pate style food, so I tried this Natural Balance Chicken and Liver Pate, the only Natural Balance formula that said "pate" on the label. It seems like a really good food, at a decent price and I really like the six ounce cans - it was an easy way to start giving my cat that had been on a diet but is now in "maintenance mode" a little bit more food (not that a half an ounce in a can makes much difference, really. I just always thought it was strange that the smaller cans are 3 oz and the larger ones are then 5.5.)
I was curious about the other Natural Balance formulas, so I went to a fancy local pet store and picked up a can each of:
Ocean Fish Formula
Turkey & Giblets Formula
Ultra Formula
Indoor Cat formula
All of these turned out to be pate style as well, even though it doesn't say so on the can, and my cats liked all of them. I tried many foods over a five year span when I had a cat that was sick and had trouble eating on her own, and another cat with a very sensitive stomach, and I can't believe I never tried Natural Balance. I mostly ended up using Innova and Evo products - their canned duck formula was great for both cats (and a better alternative to Hill's Prescription Diet® a/d, in my not-professional opinion) but it's rather expensive and very fatty. Now I have 3 healthy cats who don't have any issues and I wanted to feed them something really good right from the start to hopefully PREVENT things like stomach issues and cancer. I'm back to order another case of this one, but I'm sure I'll be ordering the other formulas by the case from time to time as well, just for the variety. The ingredients vary enough that I think it's worth it.

Update 5/24/13
On further experimentation with the other varieties, I find this one is by far the best one in terms of texture and cats preferring it. My real reason for updating this review, though, is I just read that Natural Balance was bought by Del Monte. One of the things I liked about Natural Balance was it seemed focused on making a premium product and it wasn't owned by a big corporation. Now it's owned by the same company that makes Meow Mix, a food I'd be unlikely to ever feed my cats. For now I'm not going to stop buying Natural Balance, but I will probably start mixing in more cans of Halo Spot's Pate and keep my eye out for what appears to be any formula changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love ALL Natural Balance flavors, August 23, 2008
My cats have been on Natural Balance dry and canned food for more than 6 months, and I am not going back to any other brand.
First of all, the can is 6 oz. so it's more food for a reasonable price.
Most importantly, the dry and canned foods are nutritious, all-round, and healthy. Consumer reports (online)researched them and found them to be the best cat food out there. And now, my cats can prove it. They don't eat so much, have maintained their weight, and their coats are so soft and glossy that I can't stop petting them.
Indoor formula and Ultra is their favorite, along with Salmon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome food., October 14, 2012
I've been feeding this along with 2 other Natural Balance canned flavors to my 3 cats for about 6 months now and they absolutely love this stuff. I feed the two girls each a half a can in the morning and another in the evening, my 15lb boy I feed 3/4 can twice a day. I also leave them a bowl of Blue Buffalo kibble out to snack on, which honestly they eat very little of and I am thinking of removing it from their diet. They can't wait to dig into the Natural Balance and once the bowl is down they inhale every last bit in less than 5 minutes. Their coats are super soft and shiny and their eyes are bright and shiny as well and they have crazy amounts of energy, annoyingly so at times as they sound like they're going to tear the house down with all the running, jumping and wrestling they do...even my 12 year old calico has developed much more energy and has been participating in the mayhem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for fat kitties., April 16, 2012
My cat's vet strongly recommended a wet food diet because she's pretty chubby. (4 pounds overweight.) He promised that the weight would just fall off. He wasn't kidding. After two weeks she has lost a whole pound.

Per my cat's vet, the feeding instructions on the can aren't quite right. He said that a cat should weigh 10 pounds or less, so one can per day should be enough. Half a can in the morning and half at night seems to work pretty well.

1.0 out of 5 stars The food itself is excellent but...., January 11, 2014
...I have a feeling the can I opened the other day had mold. Just to be clear, I have been buying Natural Balance on/off for MANY years. My cats love it. Its a decent food compared to the garbage like Purina etc. I have bought my canned cases of Natural Balance from Amazon and many other companies before. I usually buy by what is cheapest. That being said, I opened this can up and about a quarter sized area near the snap tab was green. I emailed some pictures to Natural Balance and chatted online with Amazon. Amazon seemed more concerned than Natural Balance. Amazon offered a refund right away or a replacement if I wanted to go that route. They also asked I report back to let them know what Natural Balance says to me. (To be honest, it didnt seem like the rep at Natural Balance, when she called back, was overly concerned about what I discovered in the can which makes me hesitate buying their food anymore). Amazon even said I could return the other 4 cases of food I bought. Since this is an isolated issue, I will keep the other cases of food, not use the cans in the case where the moldy food came from and rethink Natural Balance as my cat's wet food choice in the future). I am happy though that Amazon took the initiative and responsibility as to the remainder of the food I have.

3.0 out of 5 stars good cat food..., March 13, 2009
A. Wong (Castro Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
My cats like this food but not anymore that what I was feeding them before. I was feeding them Nutro Natural Choice Indoor formula prior to trying out Natural Balance. Nutro Natural Choice brand is signigicantly cheaper and still has a good ingredient list (no by-products/meal or high grains content). I also didn't notice any difference in terms of my cats litter behavior or coats in switching the foods. Another thing that is minor but that I didn't like is that the cans came all dented. For a balance of cost and ingredients I think I'll be going back to Nutro after this order has been finished...

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat LOVES this product!, June 5, 2012
My cat eats 2.75 ounces of this food every night as part of her weight loss plan. (In the morning, she eats 1/3 cup of this same brand and type but in the dry formula.) She loves this food, and she has been losing half a pound a month while eating it! She's also staying hydrated, which is the main reason why she was switched over to a half dry/half wet diet. I am super pleased with this product. I just hope Amazon can keep it in stock because it's not very easy for me to find it where I live, and I'm not even in a small town.