This review is written by a former hospital administrator of just under 2 decades. I have been studying health and nutrition for more than decade. I became very interested in alternative medicine when a family member was diagnosed with kidney cancer and the allopathic doctors (traditional MD's) could give no reason for the tumor.

The purpose of this book is to...
Published on May 18, 2006 by Amalfi Coast Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars redundant
Though I respect Dr. Weil very much, I didn't feel that there was enough new information in this book.
I expected it to more thoroughly expand on his terrific but fairly routine website info. I need more extensive discussion of health issues that concern me.
I would say "don't waste your money on this book", because there is not much in it that isn't already on...
Published on March 29, 2012 by mssusana

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for how to maintain optimum health and treat common ailments, May 18, 2006
This review is from: Natural Health, Natural Medicine: The Complete Guide to Wellness and Self-Care for Optimum Health (Paperback)

The purpose of this book is to present a complete guide to preventative health maintenance. With preventative health maintenance described as a timely and appropriate investment of energy in your well being that will save you trouble down the road.

He subdivides his book as follows:

PART ONE: PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE (The basic information about designing a healthy lifestyle)

1. What Should I Eat?

2. Answers to Common Questions About Diet and Health

3. What Will You Have to Drink?

4. Air and Breath

5. A Guide to Exercise for People Who Hate the Whole Idea of It

6. Relaxation, Rest, and Sleep

7. Habits

8. Connections

PART TWO: SPECIFIC PREVENTION: OUTWITTING THE KILLERS (Specific advice about reducing your risks of getting the diseases that kill most people prematurely in our society)

9. How Not to Get a Heart Attack

10. How Not to Get a Stroke

11. How Not to Get Cancer

12. How to Protect Your Immune System

PART THREE: BASIC NATURAL TREATMENTS (the tools in the forms or natural treatments that we can use ourselves)

13. Simple Measures

14. Vitamins and Supplements

15. The Herbal Medicine Chest

PART FOUR: A TREASURE OF HOME REMEDIES FOR COMMON AILMENTS (this section deals with common ailments that respond well to gentle, natural therapies and lifestyle modification)

APPENDIX A: Finding Practitioners

APPENDIX B: Finding Supplies

APPENDIX C: Sample Recipes

In part one of the book the doctor does a wonderful job of explaining what we should and more importantly should not eat. The first chapter of the book is worth the price of the book alone. The doctor outlines 9 principles for a healthy diet that he explains in great detail without losing those of us that are not trained physicians or nutritionists. These principles are simplistic but very powerful. If you are a follower of a low carbohydrate diet you will not agree with what you will read in this section.

The doctor also goes into great detail regarding his recommendations for physical activity. He discusses all the common forms of exercise and the pros and cons of each form of exercise. How much exercise do we need? Thirty minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 days a week. Not much of a surprise, but after you read the section on exercise you will understand why you need that much aerobic exercise, and hopefully that will get all of us off the couch, or away from our computers with a little more frequently. The doctor also discusses stretching and strength training and how much of these we need and why.

Part two of the book, on how to avoid specific diseases, is very well written, easy to understand, and easy to follow for those individuals that are highly motivated. The suggestions will not be palatable to everyone. But, if health is your primary motivation, there are wonderful ideas and suggestions contained in these chapters.

In Part three of the book the doctor has a brief chapter on simple measures that is very informative. In this chapter the doctor discusses simple techniques that we can all use at home to improve the overall quality of our health. I use the techniques in this chapter to feel better when I get a cold, or just don't feel like myself. The techniques really are simple and easy to use, but have a power effect on my overall well being.

Part four of the book covers the resources that any of us would need to follow the practices brought forth in the other portions of the book.

In Summation, I feel that this book is very well written and easy to understand. Once you have read this book I believe it will become your bible for how to maintain optimum health and treat common ailments. I highly recommend this book to anyone that has an interest in health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference on obtaining and maintaining good health, June 8, 2006
Dr. Weil has a rare outlook that you wish all health practitioners had. Specifically, he tries to take the best from traditional and natural medicine to help patients get and stay well instead of picking one of the two sides and calling the other side evil.

This book is a great reference for all kinds of questions you might have about health. Dr. Weil goes into detail on such basic yet crucial subjects as what you should eat and drink, how much exercise is enough, how to avoid cancer and heart disease to the extent possible, the role of dietary supplements, and even mental health. The majority of his answers to health questions will probably not be completely new to you, although I have never seen such a eclectic combination of viewpoints in one book before. What is particularly helpful is that Dr. Weil doesn't just tell you that you need to exercise, he tells you what goes on in your body if you do and if you don't. He doesn't just tell you to eat your vegetables, he points out that as infants we all loved vegetables and that it is probably the fact that vegetables become particularly unpalatable if served incorrectly that has trained us to dislike them. At the end of the book he has included some very delicious recipes to help you retrain your tastes.

Dr. Weil talks about various chronic diseases such as diabetes and has advice for diet, exercise, and supplementation in each case. I particularly liked his unique definition of depression as a state of high energy turned inward and negative. He states that you will never come to terms with your depression if you suppress it. He advises that you learn to own your depressions, appreciate them, and transform them, thus constructively using the energy they contain in the process.

I highly recommend this book to people of all ages who want common sense advice and recommendations involving achievable behavior on how to obtain good health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding review who value prevention, February 13, 2005
Author Andrew Weil starts by discussing preventative health and maintainance strategies including, "What should I eat". The book answers common questions about diet and health. It reviews issues as simple as the water you drink and the air you breath in the context of positive health. The significance of regular exercise, relaxation, rest and sleep is emphasized. Not only that, the author reviews specific ideas on how to prevent specific killers like heart attack, stroke and cancer etc. Finally, Dr. Weil talks about basic natural treatments including the use of vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements. This is a keeper!

Anil Minocha MD

Author: Natural Stomach Care

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide to natural health and well being, September 21, 1998
By A Customer
Thank you Dr. Weil-Your book has had a dramatic impact on my life. I am 44yr old male 5ft 7in and weigh in at (formerly 289lb.) 247lbs. I had high blood pressure and took an alpha blocker and a beta blocker for prevention. Also I developed diabetes and was taking oral medication for control of my sugar. Well to make a long story short, I Knew I was killing myself, and needed to do somthing, so I purchased your book after scanning it in the book store. Since that time I have been practicing as much as possible the guidelines that you have laid out about living a natural healthy life. And I am pleased to say today that I do not take any medications for sugar or for hypertension any more. I can hardly beleive it!! I have so much energy now, I hope that this testimony reaches many people in similar situations in the hope that they will take to heart the information in this book. I have underlined and highlighted lots of different passages that are inspiring and helpful. One of the quotes in this book that I now live by,"It is our lazy self,the principle of inertia in us, that tells us we do not need to excercise or do not have time for it. The only way to deal with this voice is to pay no attention to it." Well I don't want to ramble here but if anyone reads this and wants to e-mail me, I would be happy to respond and help anyone that might need to share where they are in their efforts to live healthy. In closing I would like to thank Dr.Weil for his efforts in compiling this information. I AM A NEW PERSON!! thank you Gary Coutcher PS Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book I Refer To Frequently, January 27, 2006
I was given a copy of this book 10 years ago. At that time I read it and took written notes! Some of my friends and family even referred to it frequently in conversation, "Dr. Weil says..." This Christmas I asked for and received this new, updated version.

And I have given several copies of this book to family members.

When someone tells me they have a health problem and they don't know what to do, I tell them to consult this book. And I have consulted it for numerous family health issues. It's all about what you can do to take care of yourself with less reliance on prescription drugs. He'll tell you when you must have the drugs and when there is a better alternative. A lot of wise, measured advice in a very readable, accessible format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read Reference Book, April 14, 2006
Anna Billstrom "banane71" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am very interested in medicine and the human body, especially non invasive methods of self-care. Dr. Weil has a very practical, personable manner and explains his reasoning well. He has some rather radical thoughts on chocolate, caffeine, and sex, but he presents these ideas about substance addiction and the effects on your body in such a rational way that you don't notice it's dramatic. I was also able to read this straight through, which is kind of amazing for a reference book.

His focus on breathing exercises, meditation, regular exercise and the quality of water is so pragmatic and such good advice that I wish everyone had a coyp of this book! I was introduced to it from my parents, who are seniors, as he is quite popular, I take it, with the edition of his book on Aging.

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who wants live longer..., March 21, 2000
By A Customer
I was recently diagnosed with systemic lupus and upon researching my illness, discovered the world of Dr. Weil. This was the first book I read from him and I'm hooked! I met him personally at his book signing in Virginia recently and he's wonderful in person too! After reading this book, I have a better understanding at what foods will or will not irritate my illness and I have improved miraculously in a short period of time. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their health and live longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review on natural health&medicine, March 1, 2006
This is an excellent book by Andrew Weil. I came across Andrew Weil by reading an interview with him in the Time magazine. He came across as highly knowledgeable about his field and fairly pragmatic so I decided to buy his book which I found delightful. Among the gurus of diet and health, Andrew Weil stands up as highly knowledgeable yet not too dogmatic in his approach, which is based on facts and common-sense. To those like myself who are amateours in this field, he put forward a detailed description of the basic principles of healthy living and eating and information about how natural remedies and medicine can improve your lifestyle. His book was so readable and applicable that many of his advices rang a bell immediately I chose some of his suggestions enthusiastically and I enjoy it ever since. So, if you are up to a healthy change this is a book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars To good health, October 12, 2005
This book is a must have if you believe in natural medicine. There is a wealth of information on how to get healthy and stay healthy.If you only have one book on health, this is the one to have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resource on natural health, October 19, 2000
Dawn (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
When I first read this book, I knew little about natural medicine. Now I keep it as a handy resource for its valuable information on preventing common diseases and natural solutions to common problems. The ideas in this book have reformed my view of health entirely, and I have much more control over my health now than ever before. My only fault is that Dr. Weil often relies heavily on his own experiences and can be very opinionated at times. But overall, this is an excellent introduction to the field of alternative medicine.

$15.95 $12.38
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.