Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 15, 2009
My old mattress was hard and lumpy. My back was killing me. Faced with disposing of the old mattress and replacing it with a pillow-top style for hundreds of dollars and hours of labor or buying a piece of foam to put on top for the fraction of the price, I went this route.

The 1.5 inch thickness allowed me to tuck it under my fitted sheet. Although these foam toppers can be many times thicker, I have never felt like it was bottoming out. This is the perfect thickness. As soon as I tried it out, my eyes closed and I felt so relaxed. Unlike an ordinary mattress, my weight is more evenly distributed. I don't feel pressure points and flat spots. My back felt better after only one night. As far as comparing memory foam to a pillow top mattress, it's a tough call. Pillow top is a bit more firm.

Other foam products have received negative reviews for the odor. I suppose any new foam product will have a slight odor to it. This one had a "new car" type of smell to it and the manufacturer says it will dissipate in a few days - but, I don't find it all that bad.

For the price, this can be replaced every few years if it becomes stained or ripped.
on July 23, 2010
"NaturalTM Eco-Friendly, Cooler Sleep" blah blah there's nothing natural, eco-friendly or cooler sleep about this pad. it's regular cheap low density viscoelastic foam and it's just the right thickness for me. 2-3" is too soft. i wish it was higher density but it would be more expensive. i don't feel any cooler or warmer with this pad than with any other pad i've had in the past. no problems with odor. it's the right size, as advertised, unlike some other brands.
on January 16, 2009
This was my first purchase from Amazon.com and I am very pleased. I purchased two queen size 1 1/2" Aerus mattress toppers for our guest rooms. The price was extremely reasonable and the shipping was free. Each guest mattress is firm and older but still in good condition. The memory foam was cut true to size and completely covered each mattress. I slept on one to try it out. The topper has greatly improved the quality of my sleep on this older mattress. It conformed to my body's shape giving wonderful soft feeling comfort and support and sprang back to its original shape when I got up. It was like a new mattress. Our guests may never want to go home!
on February 7, 2010
I bought this 1.5 inch pad because my mattress (5 years old) which I bought when I moved here but wasn't sure how long I would stay, is not super-great. I wanted a somewhat softer surface. Since I live in "rural" Alaska, a new mattress was $$$$$ so I thought I'd get a pad w/ free shipping and see if it helped. I also wanted a pad that would fit under my current mattress pad and sheets. My choice was limited by what would free-ship to Alaska (more restricted than free-shipping to the lower 48.

When I received this 1 1/2 inch pad, I was taken aback - it was wound up in a package so tightly some parts were compressed to less than half an inch. It had creases and seams in it from the folding and rolling. I unrolled it (with some effort since it had to be unpeeled carefully as it was so compressed that parts were sticking to each other).

So I mentally composed my letter complaining about it, believing that there was no way on Earth that it could uncompress or that those seams would disappear, and left it alone. Three hours later I came back and it had totally uncompressed and relaxed! Every part was 1 1/2 inch as advertised and there were no visible seams! It was a miracle!

I ended up with a 1 1/2 inch pad, perfectly fitted to my Queen size mattress. It is easily compressed but recovers 100%. It does compress easily (but recovers). I "hit bottom" on it when sitting up in bed or lying on my side when my hip "hits bottom". But it does provide more cushion so my shoulder, and probably hips but to a lesser extent, are more cushioned. I seem to be sleeping more restfully since it is more comfy when I toss and turn.

So - not perfect, but reminiscent of "padded" mattresses - and worth it for the price for me (including free shipping to "rural" Alaska). So I give it 4 stars because based on the price etc. I really didn't expect more. It didn't quote a foam rating so maybe those who can get better values shipped to other states might fare better, but this works as a mattress pad to enhance my current mattress.

Oh - and it did have a slight "chemical smell" like a household cleaner when first unwrapped. It is slowly disappearing (I have to bury my nose in it to smell it after the first few days).
on March 22, 2011
I purchased this same topper last year and it was outstanding so I ordered another for the guest room. It is supposed to be the same item but it isn't.

The first topper purchased was light blue in color unfolded like a dream, fluffed out with a plush denseness that felt wonderful.

This current topper purchase is off white did not unfold but had to be pried open with more strength than this old lady could muster. So, I asked my visiting son to help.

He struggled with it as well but he finally got it unfolded 3 hours ago. It is still misshapened and still has not fluffed up. It does not look or feel very plush or inviting.

What happened to the item that I purchased last year?
on June 15, 2010
Look, this is inexpensive memory foam. Having purchased enough of the stuff I can say that it is great for the reason I purchased it. People need to understand that his is NOT the best memory foam. As stated by someone else, it is approximately 3.3 pound density. And because I was not willing to spend a lot on a mattress pad for a guest room at my Parent's house ( I am in this bed maybe 10 times a year) it will do nicely. The bed in question currently has an insufficient egg shell foam pad that will greatly be enhanced with this current pad. If you want to buy a pad for a bed that has no padding, that you sleep on every night...this may not be for you. For that you need 5.5 pound density and you will pay anywhere between $79 and $119 not including delivery for that. You also need at least 2 inches. Don't get me wrong, I am sure people find this product great compared to nothing and it is...but for a little bit more money, you should pay more for something as important as a good night's rest. I do take issue with the people who say that this foam is terrible, as it is not.

The dimensions of the piece I received today are accurate and the smell is very minor in comparison to what I have run into in the past.

Lastly, it is just a fact of life that foam manufacturers go out of their way NOT to tell you the actual density. On sale here at Amazon is a product that markets itself as 5.5, leading you to believe that is the density when it isn't. With this product you can figure it out by multiplying the dimensions of the pad, then divide tht by 1728 to get the cubic footage. Then divide that result into the weight.

But, for $40 and no delivery? A good deal as an enhancer to less than adequate padding already in place.
on June 11, 2011
I spent more than I would have on a cheap foam mattress pad because I liked the description of the eco product, open cell design and so on. What I received for $49 was a standard beige mattress pad with all the air sucked out of it. I've tried this type before. I knew better than to attempt to pry this cheap substitute apart - the cheap ones tear. I decided to come read all the reviews. It seems that Foamex once had a good product but is now substituting that product with this cheap standard pad you can buy here and elsewhere for about $20 and it isn't worth even that price.
on August 2, 2011
I bought the Foamex Aerus Natural 1.5" queen topper in late January. It is now early August. I use a waterproof mattress pad over the topper since I have old cats who have hairballs. I was changing out the mattress pad recently and noticed grey/black spots ranging from 2-5 inches in diameter are scattered over the surface of the topper. None on the bottom of the topper. I have no idea what these spots are or were caused by. The topper arrived looking different than the one in the picture. The one I received is cream colored (except for the spots now). The topper was a superbly comfortable addition to my bed at first, however, the friction it caused on the vinyl portion of the waterproof mattress pad shredded the vinyl underside of the mattress pad. The topper started out being very comfortable and forming well to my body. It almost eliminated my hip and shoulder pain while sleeping and upon waking. Over the past 6 months, the topper has become less responsive to my body and is now much stiffer and less cushioning than when it arrived. I just tried contacting Foamex via the information on their website and only got an answering machine. I do not know what the spots are, if they are dangerous for asthmatics, or how to clean them - or IF I can clean them. There was no mention in the packaging (1 page that was basically a label - not really instructions) on how to care for the topper long-term or even that long-term care would be needed to prevent mold/mildew or whatever the spots are. Given the lack of information available and given at the outset as well as the deterioration of the topper in only 6 months, I would not recommend purchasing this topper.

Aug 8, 2011 Update: Took off vinyl mattress pad covering Foamex topper & chemical smell was very strong. Tried to clean topper with vinegar spray as found on one website with cleaning ideas. Vinegar & topper combined to create overwhelming chemical odor that was to the point of nauseating. Running my hand across the topper yielded a slippery residue on my hands. The vinegar did nothing to help the spots so I threw the topper away. Within a few hours, the chemical smell dissipated significantly. I am sad to have thrown away the topper since it was helping control some shoulder & hip pain - did make my sleep more restful. But I didn't realize until a night without the topper in my apartment that the smell from the topper had been here all along.
review image review image review image
on July 1, 2011
This is NOT the same mattress topper as it used to be! My parents have one at their house, which I sleep on frequently and love, and the one I received is not the same. Theirs is a light blue/green color and has a totally different feel (they ordered theirs about a year ago). They also said theirs did not smell when they unpacked it. Mine is an off-white color, had a terrible smell, and when I first slept on it last night, I woke up with my back in knots. It is NOT made from natural materials, because when I unpacked it, the packing slip said it was just polyurethane.

I will be returning this product, which Amazon should know is no longer as advertised!!! Buyer beware.
on November 10, 2009
Only had it 2 weeks but so far I love it. 1.5 is a great size because it fits under my bedding no problem. Best part is it doesn't shift around and slide on my mattress like my old mattress topper.