on March 25, 2012
WARNING: This review contains an extremely high level of Diaper Dork Dad (DDD) factor.

We have been big fans of Nature Babycare diapers since our daughter was born 10 months ago. After my successful campaign of convincing my wife that first-time parenthood would be stressful enough without having to deal with disposable diapers, we were very happy to find this compostable alternative.

In her early months, we also did experiment with several other "regular" brands of diapers, and were pleasantly surprised that Nature Babycare diapers seemed to fit and perform better. This allowed us the smug satisfaction of knowing that we were being good for the earth while at the same time keeping poo off of our daughter's clothes.

Recently the diapers have appeared to undergo a small redesign. First of all, although they're Swedish company, they diapers used to be made in Israel. They are now made in Turkey. I couldn't care less where they're made as long as they actually worked, and now they simply don't work as well.

We've had two major issues with the Turkish-made diapers. First, in our first pack of 27 diapers there were 3 defective ones that were missing adhesive tabs. For those of you keeping score at home, that's an 11% defective rate. Some friends of ours experienced similar problems, and judging by the reviews here it would seem that there have been major quality control issues in this area lately. Luckily we discovered all of these defective diapers while at home where we had a steady backup supply. Had this happened to me while out and about with the limited supply in our diaper bag then my daughter wouldn't have been the only one crapping her pants.

Hopefully those quality control issues can be addressed. However, my biggest complaint is that they've reduced the amount of elastic on the back - THE LAST BASTION OF PROTECTION AGAINST POO - by 50%. What kind of lame cost-cutting / design-stupidity move is this? I've gone to the ultra-dorky level of actually posting pictures of this. On the left you'll see the old design, with approximately 1.5" of poo-stopping elastic protection. On the right you'll see the new design, with a paltry 0.75" of elastic. Not surprisingly, we've had more leakage issues with these than we had with the previous version.

Naty has been nice enough to offer us a replacement pack of diapers, but I'm not really sure I want more inferior, defective diapers. Sadly it may just be time for us to switch brands.
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2013
Let me start by saying that I normally am raving about the performance of these diapers. They're thicker than all the other brands that I've tried, chlorine free, and the most sustainable disposable out there. They're a little more expensive than some but in by opionion worth every extra penny. Well, I guess the gig is up. The last order I received were visibly thinner and didn't seem to fit as well. I hoped they would perform the same. Unfortunately, they didn't! We have had 3 episodes so far of my 18 month old leaking through. This never happend before! Not even at night when her diaper was very full. The worst is while we were out shopping recently, there was an episode where we actually saw moisture running down my daughters leg. Her pants got soaked. What happend Nature Baby Care?
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Whether or not you (or your child) likes these diapers will really depend on your "diaper history". I can tell you that coming from mainstream diapers, these are a little different.

I wanted to be a cloth diaper user, and stuck it out for 6 months after my son was born, but I liked the concept better than the execution. So began my search for my preferred disposable. First up was Earth's Best, and I had nothing but leaks. We tried Huggies Pure and Natural, Huggies Little Movers, Huggies Snug and Dry, Seventh Generation, Luvs, Pampers Baby Dry, Pampers Swaddlers, Pampers Cruisers, Nurtured by Nature, and Target store brand. My favorite eco-friendly diaper is definitely Nurtured by Nature. If you find these Naty diapers a little too different for your taste, you might give those a whirl. Otherwise, I like Target and Pampers.

Size? I sized up to a 5 with these. My son wears a 4 in all others. People kept saying they run small. I disagree. When I compared the 5 to a Pampers 5 I saw no difference. I could have gotten away with a 4.

Poop? Yeah, they hold poop. My son, at 16 months, still has what you'd call "peanut butter poop". It is not formed or slightly solid. This makes it easier for the poop to escape the diaper in the leg area. I have not had an issue with these at all with poop, even during an ear infection when he had diarrhea. My only complaint is that the diaper doesn't really fold up easily into a neat little package after a change, you have to fasten the tabs together to get that to happen. They don't stick to the outside of the diaper itself. So be careful on the way to the trash!

Pee? Yep, they hold pee, and they hold a good amount. My son is a heavy wetter. These did not hold up at night. We use Huggies Overnights, which only work about 50% of the time *sigh*. Nothing else even matches that statistic, sadly.

Fit? They fit my tall and thin son ok. He is roughly 33 inches and 25 lbs. The pad inside does seem to get bunched up more than say a Huggie or Pamper, but they don't seem to shift too much, and my son is very active. The diaper is wider through the crotch, which my son finds uncomfortable. He is always pulling at his diaper now. I think there is too much padding between his legs, and he is not used to it. Maybe if he was used to cloth and we switched to these, it would be different. Pampers are less bulky in the crotch area and he seems to like them better.

Price? These are more expensive than Pampers, Huggies, and Seventh Generation, and way more than store brand. But if they do what they say they do, allow the skin to breathe, biodegrade, keep chemicals off my baby, then I guess the extra money is worth it. You have to decide if these features are worth the extra 7-10 cents per diaper (using subscribe and save).

I like that they are made from safe materials and that if i were to put them in a biodegradable trash bag, they would break down in less than 10 years. I also like that they are the only disposable that I have found that allow air to circulate in and out. My son has had quite a few severe diaper rashes during teething times and I'm hoping these help with that. I also like the plain look of the diaper. I don't care for the cartoon characters you find on most brands, and I didn't care for the look of the brown Seventh Generation that much either. I like white. To me, diapers=white.

They do feel weird. They feel stiffer and not as soft as Pampers. Maybe I've just been using Pampers too long, but it is hard to get used to how stiff they feel. This does help my son's pants stay up (he has no butt) because they are not slippery on the outside. The other diapers are definitely more plasticky.

I like them, but since my son doesn't seem to find them comfy I think this case will be my only purchase. If he gets more used to them as we use them more, I might try a 4 next time. Overall a good diaper, but I don't think they are for everyone.
on September 5, 2012
I did some research on environmentally friendly disposable diapers. Nature babycare and Bambo came out on top. I have also tried Seventh generation and Earths Best. Bambo diapers are my favorite. My only issue is they are a little pricey so I decided to try these out since they were a little cheaper. My son is about 24lbs after a bottle of milk and the size 4 barely fits his waist. The packaging said it goes up to 30 some pounds. There is no way they would fit a baby that heavy unless they are oddly proportioned. I have also had a few leaks with Nature babycare. The worst incident was when I was holding my baby and it got my shirt all wet. It was like a sponge that was squeezed. This happened after about 2-3hrs of wearing the diaper. Bambo diapers are far more absorbant, softer, and bigger. I will be going back in spite of the cost.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2012
Our twins are 18 months old and we tried all of the "eco-friendly" diapers on the market before finally settling on Nature Babycare about 6 months ago. They are a little more expensive, which is why we were slow to come around to them, but in the end, we found the higher quality of these diapers to be well worth the extra cost. **That was until we received our latest shipment.** The quality of these diapers has clearly taken a step in the wrong direction...

1) a nice wide elastic band on the back of the diaper has been reduced to a thin strip,
2) the stretchy material on the sides has been replaced with a non-stretch, papery material that will tear if pulled too hard,
3) the "sticky" tabs (which were never the best part of these diapers) now stick even less than before,
4) the overall size of the diaper has been slightly reduced, and
5) the materials used seemed to have cheapened, where a very wet diaper will actually start to "shred" if left on too long (e.g., overnight).

Mostly, the changes have led to a big loss in stretch/elasticity and security of fit. Where we were able to get a nice snug, but flexible fit before, we now find the fit to be less forgiving and the diaper more likely to move around. Additionally, the diapers now tear more easily and the sticky tabs will occasionally come undone. The net result is a diaper that LEAKS much more often. On a couple of occasions, we've also found the gel-like filling to have leaked out of the diaper and all over our baby's skin. We are at least thankful that this is a non-toxic substance.

I can't express strongly enough how disappointed we are with the changes. This was a great diaper that we felt good about putting on our children. That is no longer the case and in our opinion, these diapers are no longer worth the extra cost. Sadly, we will be going back to a more reasonably priced alternative.

On a side note: why does it seem that all disposable diapers are on a one-way train to lower quality???
on October 2, 2012
This review is for Nature Babycare Chlorine-Free ECO Diapers Size 4 (22-37lbs) (Pack of 4)

I have been a loyal Naty customer since my daughter was 2 months old. Now, at 14 months and 22 pounds, I have found that not only has the packaging for these diapers have decreased (great for the environment) but the diapers have shrunk too (not so good for my wallet!)

I have compared a size 4 diaper from the last batch we ordered to the new batch, and it seems to be about an inch smaller all around! Size 4 indicates that it should fit from 22 pounds to 37 pounds! And baby is in 58th percentile for weight/78th percentile for height (a very average sized toddler).

I used these diapers initially because my daughter started to acquire a rash from one of the big name brands. I have also noticed a rash on baby's bum that is luch like the rash from the big brands.

Another issue I have been having is that the tabs are starting to rip off the diaper. The old tabs had a green strip on them. The new tabs are all white, and seem very flimsy. They are also not adhering well to the diaper. The new batch just seems cheaply made in comparison to the last batch.

I will order a size 5 batch and if the rash and QC issues continue, I will assume that Naty has changed not only the size, but the composition of the diaper's interior and exterior. And then I will begin the search for a new diaper yet again. Very disappointed!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2013
I've been using this product since 2010 from size 1-4 and pullups with both of my boys (ages 3 and 18mo). About a year ago the quality of this product started to become unpredictable. The texture of the product went from soft like cotton to more rough and the back right stick tab (that connects the diaper to the front) would not be correctly attached so it would completely disconnect from the diaper when I pulled it open to use it. I am very committed to sustainability, so I continued using this product as it is partially biodegradable and the best option given my needs/abilities. However, the past three cases I've gotten of this product have been faulty...that's just too much for a busy mom that's juggling two kids and a full-time job. I don't have time to throw away and return diapers. As much as I hate to do it, I'm cancelling my subscribe and save order with this product and switching to 7th Gen. Lose, lose for all. Bummer.
on August 26, 2013
I've been buying Honest brand diapers and since we're having a new baby wanted to go a bit cheaper for a few months so I thought to buy some of these Naty diapers since they seem on par in terms of eco-friendliness with the ones we've been buying. I do like WHAT they're made out of but I have to agree with many recent reviewers on the quality issues. The elastic on the back is a very thin band and barely stretches. This may be nit-picky but the tabs bother me, they do not stick anywhere except the designated tab sticking area at the top, so wrapping up the diaper once it's soiled is tricky and requires two hands. There is no chemical smell, which I think is great and they have not produced any diaper rash so the materials are obviously quality but I don't think we'll purchase these again after we use up what we've bought.
on August 19, 2012
I love the idea of these diapers! They have corn plastic for the packaging, and great marketing with the "European design" angle. I was bought in 100% from the get-go... being an eco conscious consumer and self proclaimed tree-hugger, I wanted to believe that these were truly bio-degradable and planet friendly. Alas, and after a couple years of use with two kids, my analytical side finally took over and I was forced to admit to myself that these diapers are very similar to conventional, but perhaps about 40% better than regular diapers in terms of all-around eco-friendliness. Unfortunately they also seem to run about one size too small (at least). By comparison, my 15 month old son (28lbs) fits fine in a size 4 diaper when we've run out been forced to buy the generic supermarket store brands (e.g. Premier Value). The cheap generic diapers actually fit fine and lasted through the night, while the Nature Baby Care BARELY fit around the waist and get saturated with pee during the night... at which point they begin leaking at around 5 or 6am. I really wanted to like these diapers, and have been buying them since my first daughter, however given the fact thaht I've spent a fortune on them over the years, buying one size bigger than should be needed, and putting up with leaks, i'm going to have to switch and am inclined to write this review to inform others. Despite the leaks and size issues, I still give this two stars for great packaging, comfortable fit (if you buy the bigger ones) and phenomenal marketing (albeit with a bit of "greenwashing" thrown in).
on December 13, 2013
They used to be great when I used them with my first son until he could no longer fit as the largest size is 6. But when I bought them again for my second son, they just didn't stick as good. If I didn't get them in the right position the first time, they no longer would stick and I would have to start with a new one. Some of them don't have any sticking power at all. I eventually stopped buying them, but then ran into the company at the Natural Products West Expo and spoke to the owner. She asked to take down my info so that she could send me replacements. I thought, the issue of them not sticking had been resolved since she was offering to send me replacements. I said it wasn't necessary and that I would just purchase them again. Well, now after 8 cases of these diapers, I realize the issue has not been resolved. It has been going on for over a year. I sent their customer service an email and this was their reply.

We are really sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with our products. We believe this is due to an unfortunate manufacturing fault and though these are very rare, they sometimes can occur. Can you please send us a picture of an affected nappy/diaper from the nappy/diaper pack?

We can then process your complaint further and offer you replacement pack or a voucher.
We will send as well a prepaid envelope so it would be great if you could send back 2 faulty nappies to us.
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to contact us regarding this matter as we rely heavily on feedback from our customers.

We thank you for your patience and hope you will continue using Naty by Nature Babycare products despite this unfortunate incident, knowing that they are safe to your child and gentle to the environment. Not to mention we go green without giving up performance.

Best Regards,

Customer Service, Naty AB
Gamla Värmdövägen 4
131 37 Nacka, Sweden
[...]

Well, here was my reply:

Dear Naty customer service,

Asking a mother of two diapering toddlers to photograph a defective diaper and send you images and then requesting that I also send back some defective diapers seems a bit excessive, especially when this has been a known issue for these diapers. I wouldn't call these manufacturing faults rare when so far, at least 8 cases of these diapers, I have had this issue with since I decided to try them again, after experiencing this same issue 1 1/2 years earlier, which caused me to discontinue purchasing them in the first place.

Great, that they are better for the environment and safe for the kids, but if they don't stay on, then what is the point, when I am throwing them away, unused. That seems an even worse assault on the planet and my pocket book to me.

a replacement pack of the same diapers or a voucher for the same diapers still does me no good.

I hope you will rethink your strategy before offering more mothers this very time consuming, not worth my time solution.

I will no longer be purchasing your products, including the wipes as I no longer feel good about supporting your company, who seems to have little reality on the life of mothers with very active little toddlers in diapers. I can barely get an email out, let alone take a photo, upload and size it down to email you and then pack up a couple samples to take down to the post office to send to you.

I don't even care for free diapers or replacement diapers... I just thought, that by now, you should actually get a handle on your manufacturing and stop selling faulty diapers.

Thanks, but no thanks,