Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Learn more

Size: 150 Softgels|Change

Proceed with caution, I'm going to be open about what this Magnesium *Oxide* supplement has done for me and for detail/clarity's sake, this will be a longer review than what I usually write. I typically would NEVER share this much information, but if someone else reads this, and it helps them, then it's worth the embarassment to me. This might be of particular interest to those who suffer from chronic constipation, severe pre menstrual cramps, or who are sluggish and foggy-minded. I have dealt with all of the above listed condiitions above to some degree or another, for the past few years. About me: I have had problems with regularity for quite some time now, off and on. Anyone who has dealt with this knows how miserable it can be. I try to eat all the right stuff, drink copious amounts of water, and cross my fingers. Because, sometimes I "go," sometimes I don't, no matter how badly I need to. I've used herbal supplements, herbal teas and OTC treatments just to get some relief. I have had to forego pre-made plans with family and friends because I was just too miserable to leave the house, not only because of constipation, but also other times because of severe cramps due to PMS. I've researched all of the different things that someone can do to alleviate these issues, tried all of those things, and had read about Magnesium prior, I took Magnesium (-oxide) already, soooo...Well, in comes the 3rd symptom listed, "Brain Fog." The magnesium that I read about, that is supposed to help with all of the symptoms that I have mentioned, was *less potent* from the form of magnesium I was taking daily (magnesium oxide). Apparantly, this *potency of Magnesium OXIDE I had been taking was much less effective.* When it finally dawned on me that I wasn't taking the *POTENCY" of magnesium supplement that I thought I was, I ordered this *way more potent* Magnesium OXIDE thinking that if it helped any of my conditions, it would be worth the expense. At the top of my wish list for this supplement was to be able to "go" more regularly. I personally started off with 2 of these liquid softgels, 1 in the morning, 1 before bed, although I would never recommend any medical advice to anyone else regarding dosage, the amount on the bottle states take 1 daily. (Consult your physician for medical advice).

ISSUE 1, Constipation: It was the second day into this that I made several trips to the bathroom, happily, because I had been pretty miserable prior. I was at home, I didn't need to be anywhere, so it was perfectly fine with me. I was hopeful that I would have continued success, as I had been quite constipated prior to taking these supplements. The 3rd day, simliar to the day before, just not as urgent. The fourth day, and every day since, I have been happily regular and closer to the "normal" that I had been before my irregularity issues began.

ISSUE 2, Premenstrual Cramps: I have not yet taken this long-term, so I can't tell you how it has affected me long-term. I can, however, tell you that I have had no problems with the hateful cramps I typically experience monthly. I had only taken this supplement for 2 days when I had the chance to see if this helped in any way. Very slight cramping, barely noticeable...So, I'm going to say it did help with that, based on this one time.

ISSUE 3, Brain Fog: I have noticed some difference in my "brain fog" severity. It has not gone away completely, but it has certainly "thinned out" some for me. I do feel somewhat clearer minded, certainly not 100%, but any improvemement is greatly appreciated by me, so I'll take it.

ADDED BONUS, And it's a big one, Energy: I have more energy. I'm guessing it is due to this supplement, because I haven't changed anything else in my daily routine. And you know, energy begets energy, because my exercising has increased as I feel more energetic, and the exercising has given me even more energy, and probably relates to my feeling more "clear-minded"... it doesn't take me as long when I wake up to feel more alert and ready for my day, and well, I just got a bit more "pep in my step."

My CONCLUSION:
I wish I had gotten this stuff sooner. I did the research, read the reviews, wised up and took a chance--I'm sooo glad I did. Is it worth the money? You better believe it is for me. If you have been suffering like I did, and don't want to rely on laxatives (which can be very bad for your body long-term), if you deal with brain fog issues, and feel sluggish at times and want to do something proactive for yourself, it could be because you are suffering from a deficiency of magnesium OXIDE, which purportedly more women suffer from than men. If you can't accept the blame-all, "You're just getting older" response, and don't believe that these issues I've covered are truly part of the "aging process," then (consult your physician first, of course), and go for it. The most you have to lose is the cost of the supplement; the most you have to gain is more than you can put a price tag on, getting well and feeling better.
I hope this review has helped someone, because it was out of my comfort zone to discuss these things, but like I stated earlier-it's worth it if someone else finds relief in the areas I have listed.

PLEASE NOTE: the *astericks* throughout the review reflect a change I made to my review after a reader kindly pointed this error out to me. I had originally stated that this was magnesium citrate, (I had thought I purchased Magnesium Citrate), which it was not. This is Magnesium Oxide. I had been taking an apparantly much less potent form of Magnesium Oxide before this purchase, because the changes I have experienced in a pretty short amount of time since taking this particular brand and potency have been significant. I highly recommend this Nature Made High Potency Magnesium, for improved regularity and energy...after my daft mistake in this review earlier, maybe now, I cannot personally say it has significantly improved my brain-fog. In all fairness to this product I have suffered some cognitive damage due to a past, rather serious illness, so it may help someone else in that department more.
********************************
UPDATE: It's been over a month since I began taking these supplements, and I have to say I am so thankful to have found this. Except for ONE day, when I had been incredibly busy and had not been able to take these, (although I wonder if not being able to "go" that day was more due to the amount of pressure I was under and the hectic-ness at that time)- I have been "regular" for the entire time. Quite frankly, the quality of my life has greatly improved and my energy level, while not through the roof, is certainly improved since taking these supplements, as anyone who has ever suffered from chronic constipation knows how it can make you feel sluggish and "blah" feeling when you are unable to "go"... I HIGHLY recommend that you look into this, I would have sooner had I known about this particular supplement.
4242 comments|422 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2010
I started taking magnesium, the 400 mg. liquid gels a few weeks back on the advice of a friend.

Read all the pro's and con's (none) and nothing is wrong with taking this supplement. It aids muscle functions, and muscle building too. Good for heart and health, doesn't attack another part of the body with side effects that are harmful.

The best part for me? Digestion, wow, what a difference, you'll be amazed. If you take disgestion supplements or laxatives of any kind on a regular basis, magnesium will most likely do the job those are intended too do. Can upset your stomach, but not necessarily, works super with me.
44 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon August 10, 2013
Here is a side-by-side comparison of ten leading magnesium supplements: Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium, Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count), JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count), Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count), Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs), Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon, Solgar Magnesium Citrate, Life Extension Magnesium Caps, Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate, and Nature Made High Potency Magnesium.

INTRODUCTION: Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

Magnesium is present in all cells of the body. It is a mineral that is critical for energy production and metabolism, muscle contraction, nerve impulse transmission, and bone mineralization. It helps to regulate calcium transport and absorption. By stimulating the secretion of calcitonin, it aids the influx of calcium into bone and promotes optimal bone mineralization. It has been called nature's calcium channel blocker. The idea refers to magnesium's ability to block calcium from entering muscle and heart cells.

Magnesium is the second most prevalent electrolyte in the body, yet over two-thirds of us get less than the minimum recommended 400 mgs per day. Most of us get about half that much. Note that 400 mgs is just enough to keep us from feeling the major deficiency symptoms. Optimal health may require 600 to 1000 mgs per day.

Only 12% of Americans take magnesium supplements and multivitamins are almost never a good source.

Intensive farming and agricultural practices have depleted our soils of magnesium and many other minerals. This means that even if you eat an ideal diet rich in vegetables, tubers, fruits, nuts, and legumes, you may still be deficient in magnesium.

There is no easy or reliable way to measure your magnesium status since most of the magnesium in our bodies is tied up in bones and muscles. A blood test reveals very little.

About 60% of the body's magnesium is in the bones. If there is a need, the body draws magnesium from bones, which means the bones need to be replenished.

Chronic magnesium deficiency has been associated with several conditions, such as:

* Diabetes - magnesium supplementation has been shown to reduce insulin requirement and improve glucose disposal in diabetic patients. Magnesium is often called "natural metformin." People with diabetes excrete magnesium at a higher rate than others.

* Blood pressure - magnesium supplementation is associated with improvements in systolic and diastolic blood pressure.

* Heart disease - Magnesium deficiency may contribute to the progression of atherosclerosis by its effects on lipid metabolism and platelet aggregation. Magnesium supplementation in people with high blood lipids has been shown to reduce total and LDL (bad) cholesterol and apolipoprotein B, and an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol.

* Anxiety - magnesium calms your nervous system by preventing excess cortisol. Low magnesium level is associated with hyperexcitation and random neuronal firing.

* Osteoporosis - see above.

* Insomnia - magnesium is often called the "original chill pill" because of its ability to modulate neurotransmitter receptors in the brain. Magnesium deficiency causes "neural excitation."

* Asthma - magnesium concentration was 20% lower in asthmatics.

* ADHD - in a study of 116 children diagnosed with ADHD, 95% were deficient in magnesium. The relationship between magnesium and ADHD is still unclear.

FORMS OF MAGNESIUM: There are many forms of magnesium available as supplements. All magnesium is mined as minerals from the earth. However, the mineral is bonded or chelated to various organic or inorganic substances to increase absorption and bioavailability. Different forms of magnesium have varying levels of magnesium concentration.

* Organic forms: glycinate, bisglycinate, lysinate, citrate, malate, aspartate, gluconate, threonate, and lactate.

* Inorganic forms: oxide, sulfate, chloride, hydroxide, and carbonate.

Generally, the organic forms are much better absorbed and better tolerated by the gut because they increase the body's ability to recognize and absorb the mineral. Inorganic forms are cheaper, not as well absorbed, and act as laxatives, but have higher magnesium concentration.

* Magnesium Oxide. This is the most common and cheapest form of magnesium. This form contains a very high level of elemental magnesium, so you can fit 100% of your daily value of magnesium (400 mgs) into one pill. However, there is evidence that very little of this form is absorbed and taking more than one or two pills can cause a laxative effect. Magnesium oxide is possibly the worst form of magnesium and is not recommended.

* Magnesium Citrate. This is the second most common form of magnesium. It is certainly better absorbed than magnesium oxide, but it can also cause a laxative effect if taken in higher doses. High levels can draw water into the bowels resulting in loose stools.

* Magnesium Glycinate and Bisglycinate. Glycinate has one glycine bound to magnesium while bisglycinate has two glycine molecules. These are probably the best forms, with bisglycinate providing more glycine for added absorption and additional relaxation and detoxification benefits. There is no laxative effect. The disadvantage here is that these forms have low magnesium concentration, requiring higher number of pills per day.

* Magnesium Lactate. Moderately well absorbed and has been shown to provide benefits for stress. Some people are allergic to it. This form needs more research.

* Magnesium Malate. Very well absorbed with no laxative effects. It has been shown to help people who suffer from fatigue. Helps balance stomach acid, as well.

* Magnesium Gluconate. Moderately well absorbed with little or no laxative effects.

* Magnesium Aspartate. Moderately well absorbed but aspartate is best avoided in high doses as excess aspartic acid can negatively affect nerves.

* Magnesium Threonate. Very well absorbed. This new form has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier to provide magnesium benefits to the brain. Other forms of magnesium may also provide the same benefits to the brain, but threonate is the only one with some proof. Needs more human clinical studies, which are in progress. This form has a very low magnesium concentration, so you will have to take many pills to get 100% of your daily value.

* Magnesium Lysinate. A well absorbed source of magnesium without laxative effects. The amino acid lysine is an excellent anti-viral.

MAGNESIUM RICH FOODS: Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, nuts, seeds, unsweetened cocoa, dried seaweed, dried coriander, and dried basil.

BREAKDOWN: Here is a breakdown of these supplements.

Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium (See, Advanced MAGNESIUM (by InnovixLabs). Highly Bioavailable Bisglycinate + Malate Formula, 150 Vegetarian Capsules. 200 mg Magnesium per serving.)
*****
Form: magnesium bisglycinate / magnesium malate
$15.99 for 150 100 mg capsules on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two capsules, twice a day
Price per capsule: $.11 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.11 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (888) 799-7627
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium bisglycinate, magnesium malate, vegetarian capsule (plant cellulose), and medium chain triglycerides

Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count) (See, Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium (200 Mg Elemental), 240-Count)
Form: magnesium glycinate lysinate
$14.61 for 120 100 mg tablets on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two capsules, twice a day
Price per tablet: $.07 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.06 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 333-6977
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium glycinate lysinate, microcrystalline cellulose, crosscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), stearic acid, and modified cellulose (coating)

JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count) (See, Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT - Premium, Organic, Slow Release Magnesium Supplement - Active, Bioavailable Magnesium Malate Tablets With B-Vitamin Co-Factors, 120 tablets)
Form: magnesium malate
$20.00 for 120 125 mg tablets on Amazon
Recommended Serving: four tablets
Price per gel cap: $.17 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.13 (using Amazon's price)
Time Release
Phone Number: (866) 601-5800
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium malate, microcrystalline cellulose, modified cellulose, crosscarmellose sodium, silica, food glaze, micro wax, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12, and malic acid

Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count) (See, Magnesium GOLD - Highly Bioavailable form of Elemental Magnesium + Free Complimentary Vitamin E Moisturizing Lip Balm)
*****
Form: dimagnesium malate / magnesium glycinate
$44.95 for 120 100 mg capsules on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two capsules
Price per gel cap: $.38 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.19 (using Amazon's price)
Vegetarian and vegan
Phone Number: (800) 476-3542
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: dimagnesium malate, chelated magnesium glycinate, and vegetarian capsule (non-GMO plant cellulose)

Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs) (See, Now Foods Magnesium Citrate 200mg, 250 Tablets)
****
Partially water soluble
$16.73 for 250 200 mg tablets on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two tablets
Price per tablet: $.07 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.03 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (888) 669-3663
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium citrate, cellulose, stearic acid (vegetable source), croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), and vegetable coating

Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon (See, Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon 16oz)
$24.57 for 100 350 mg servings on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two teaspoons
Price per serving: $.25 (using Amazon's price)
Price per teaspoon: $.13 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.07 (using Amazon's price)
Possibly contains laxative properties
Some ingredients sourced from China (organic stevia)
Phone Number: (866) 416-9216
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: ionic magnesium citrate, organic flavor, and organic stevia

Solgar Magnesium Citrate (See, Magnesium Citrate - 120 - Tablet)
Certified Kosher
$14.29 for 120 200 mg tablets on Amazon
Recommended Serving: two tablets
Price per tablet: $.12 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.06 (using Amazon's price)
Contains laxative properties
Some Ingredients sourced from China (vegetable cellulose)
Phone Number: (201) 944-2311
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium citrate, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, silica, vegetable magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, and vegetable glycerin

Life Extension Magnesium Caps (See, Life Extension Magnesium 500 Mg Vegetarian Capsules, 100 Count)
Form: magnesium oxide (481.25 mgs), magnesium citrate 6.25 mgs), magnesium succinate (6.25 mgs), and Albion TRAACS® magnesium lysyl glycinate chelate
$10.19 for 100 500 mg capsules on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one capsule
Price per capsule: $.10 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.02 (using Amazon's price)
Phone number: (800) 226-2370
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium oxide (481.25 mgs), magnesium citrate 6.25 mgs), magnesium succinate (6.25 mgs), and Albion TRAACS® magnesium lysyl glycinate chelate

Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate (See, Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate (140 mg) 90 Capsules)
****
$12.85 for 90 140 mg gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one - three gel caps
Price per gel cap: $.14 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.10 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 228-1966
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium citrate, hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, leucine, and silicon dioxide

Nature Made High Potency Magnesium (See, Nature Made High Potency Magnesium 400 mg - 150 Liquid Softgels)
Form: magnesium oxide
$8.99 for 150 400 mg gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.06 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 100 mgs magnesium: $.02 (using Amazon's price)
Contains soy
Not vegetarian
Phone Number: (800) 276-2878
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: magnesium oxide, medium chain triglycerides, gelatin, glycerin, water, soy lecithin, yellow beeswax, artificial colors (titanium dioxide, copper chlorophyllin), maltodextrin, and potassium hydroxide

PRICE PER PILL: Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count) ($.38 per capsule) is the most expensive per pill of those in the comparison; followed by JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count) ($.17 per tablet); followed by Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate ($.14 per gel cap); followed by Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon ($.13 per teaspoon); followed by Solgar Magnesium Citrate ($.12 per gel cap); followed by Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium ($.11 per capsule); followed by Life Extension Magnesium Caps ($.10 per capsule); followed by Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count) ($.07 per tablet) and Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs) ($.07 per tablet); and followed by Nature Made High Potency Magnesium ($.06 per gel cap), which is the least expensive per pill of those in the comparison.

PRICE PER 100 MGS MAGNESIUM: Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count) ($.19 per 100 mgs magnesium) is the most expensive per 100 mgs of magnesium of those in the comparison; followed by JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count) ($.13 per 100 mgs magnesium); followed by Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium ($.11 per 100 mgs magnesium); followed by Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate ($.10 per 100 mgs magnesium); followed by Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon ($.07 per 100 mgs magnesium); followed by Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count) ($.06 per 100 mgs magnesium) and Solgar Magnesium Citrate ($.06 per 100 mgs magnesium); followed by Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs) ($.03 per 100 mgs magnesium); and followed by Life Extension Magnesium Caps ($.02 per 100 mgs magnesium) and Nature Made High Potency Magnesium ($.02 per 100 mgs magnesium), which are the least expensive per 100 mgs of magnesium of those in the comparison.

SOY/GMO/CHOLESTEROL CONTENT: None of these products contain soy, GMOs, or cholesterol except Nature Made High Potency Magnesium, which contains soy.

STEARATES: Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count), Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs), and Solgar Magnesium Citrate contain stearates. Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium, JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count), Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count), Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon, Life Extension Magnesium Caps, Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate, and Nature Made High Potency Magnesium do not contain stearates.

CERTIFIED KOSHER: Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count) and Solgar Magnesium Citrate are the only products in this group that is certified Kosher. Look for the Kosher certification (called a "Hechsher") on the label.

VEGETARIAN: All of these supplements, with the exception of Nature Made High Potency Magnesium, are vegetarian. Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count) is certified vegan.

CHELATED: Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium, Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count), JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count), Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count), Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs), Life Extension Magnesium Caps, and Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate are chelated. Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon, Solgar Magnesium Citrate, and Nature Made High Potency Magnesium are not chelated. A chelated form of magnesium tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability.

ENTERIC COATING: None of these supplements are enteric coated. However, JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count) offers a time release formula, called "SRT," which stands for Sustained Release Technology. JigSaw claims that with SRT, instead of the magnesium being dumped into your system all at once, SRT slows down the release of magnesium so it's spread out over 8 hours, which allows your body to absorb what it needs. SRT is an excellent feature and only JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT has it.

MEALS: Magnesium may be consumed with or without meals. Taking it with meals does not increase absorption, but if you are taking magnesium forms with a laxative effect (like magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate), taking them with a meal may help alleviate some discomfort.

OPINION: In my opinion, all of these magnesium supplements are good, with the exception of those made in whole or in part of magnesium oxide, which I rate poorly. I would also go with a chelated magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate product that does not contain stearates.

Based upon my analysis, in my opinion, Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium, Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count), JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count), Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count), and Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon are the best performers in the comparison.

RATING:

I rated Innovix Labs Advanced Magnesium, Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium (240 Count), JigSaw Magnesium w/SRT (120 Count), Nutrigold Magnesium Gold (120 Count), and Natural Vitality Natural Calm Raspberry Lemon five stars.

I rated Now Foods Magnesium Citrate (200 mgs) four stars because it is magnesium citrate and it contains stearates.

I rated Solgar Magnesium Citrate two stars because it is magnesium citrate, it is not chelated, it contains stearates, and some of its ingredients are sourced from China (vegetable cellulose).

I rated Life Extension Magnesium Caps two stars because it is almost entirely magnesium oxide (481.25 mgs as magnesium oxide, 6.25 mgs as magnesium citrate, 6.25 mgs as magnesium succinate, and 6.25 mgs as Albion TRAACS® magnesium lysyl glycinate chelate), without disclosing the percentages in the supplement facts panel on the product’s label, and it contains laxative properties.

I rated Thorne Research Magnesium Citrate four stars because it is magnesium citrate and it possibly contains laxative properties.

I rated Nature Made High Potency Magnesium two stars because it is magnesium oxide, it is not chelated, and it contains soy.

I have separately reviewed all of these products.

Prices current as of 03/03/2016.
4141 comments|283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
Never thought magnesium was so important to the human body. But if you are not getting enough then this is for you. It gives me the energy I need to get thru the day. I tried others but this one actually works. Also I can go several days without taking it because its too much for everyday use. I think its the softgel that offers maximum absorption.
review image
on October 3, 2012
NATURE MADE: 400 mg tablets; Magnesium Oxide, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Gelatin (Porcine), Glycerin, Water, Soy Lecithin, Yellow Beeswax, Artificial Colors (Titanium Dioxide, Copper Chlorophyllin), Maltodextrin, Potassium Hydroxide.

I do not take any supplements, pills or medicine for any condition at all. I have an extremely healthy diet but to increase my potassium only after getting blood test, to avoid muscle cramps when body surfing and doing other sports, my research shows;

OXIDE (60% elemental) is a laxative, not absorbed by human body as much. Better forms of magnesium are TAURATE,
GLYCINATE, CITRATE (16% elemental), MALATE (6.5% elemental), ORATATE, CHLORIDE (12% elemental) in form of oil. Chelated magnesium is far better absorbed than magnesium OXIDE but cost more. Complementary medicine practitioners rely on chelated magnesium, such as magnesium GLYCINATE, TAURATE and ORTATE (magnesium plus amino acids) to treat serious cases of magnesium deficiency. Those kind of magnesium have less laxative effect on the intestines than magnesium citrate, so they are recommended if you tend to have loose stools.

OXIDE appears to have high amount of elemental magnesium. One 500 mg capsule of magnesium oxide contains 300 mg of elemental magnesium. But little of that amount is available to the body because it is not absorbed and therefore not biologically available. One recent study reported 4% absorption rate of magnesium oxide. This means 12 mg of 500 mg capsule are absorbed and 288 may stay in the intestines, acting like a laxative.

CITRATE is the most cost effective magnesium, easily absorbed with milder laxative effect than OXIDE. CITRATE powder mixed in water is the better form of CITRATE, not CITRATE in form of pills or tablets. CITRATE is often used in liquid form as a saline laxative to treat constipation, or to completely empty the intestines prior to surgery,
MALATR is most commonly used to treat a condition known as fibromyalgia, according to the University of Mary Washington. Fibromyalgia is a poorly understood disease characterized by fatigue, muscle pain, stiffness, headache and memory problems, and may be linked to low magnesium levels.

Magnesium can be taken with or without meals, but it is preferable to take it between meals for better absorption. Magnesium requires stomach acid to be absorbed. After a full meal, stomach acid is busy digesting food and may not be available to help absorb magnesium. Also magnesium is an alkaline mineral and acts like an antacid where taken with meals, it may neutralize stomach acid and impair digestion. Developing loose stools while taking magnesium, it does not necessarily mean that body is absorbing enough and losing the rest; it may mean consuming too much at a time. BETTER NOT TO TAKE MAGNESIUM ALL AT ONCE. Spreading four times a day is best in absorbing and avoiding diarrhea. If that does not do the trick, one may probably need to cut back the amount or switch to another type or brand of magnesium. Consuming magnesium when waking up in the morning and at bedtime seems to be effective since that appears to be when body is most deficient in the early morning and late afternoon. Some even find magnesium as a good sleeping pill.

Consult only with a licensed medical professional to see the magnesium levels in the blood by getting a blood test. Healthy diet is the best solution to supplements an unregulated business. The highest foods in magnesium PER DAILY % for amount of CALORIES are Pumpkin Seeds 180/47.7%, Sesame Seeds 206/31.5%, Sunflower Seeds 204/28.4%, Cashews 189/25%, Almonds 206/24.6% for 1/4 cup or infact less than 2 oz; Spinach 41/39.1%, Swiss Chard 353/7.6%, Soybeans 298/36.9%, Black Beans 227/30.1%, Navy Beans 255/24.11 for 1 cup or infact 8 oz, Cocoa, Bananas and Green leafy vegetables. Hemp seeds provides essential nutrients such as protein, essential fatty acids, fibre, vitamins and minerals without any chemicals and three tablespoon, once again only 3 tablespoon which is 30 gr, offers me 50% magnesium and 25% zinc as well as the highest percentage of globulin than any other plant which is an essential amino acid that helps my body to create antibodies, a component of a healthy immune system.

Avoid falling into the world of `nutritional medicine' and vitamin supplements; these are nothing other than a substitute for what is really needed: weight control, regular exercise, and a carefully balanced nutritious dietary plan for the long term.
4242 comments|273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2014
I have take magnesium nightly for years as it reduces migraine frequency for me, as well as improves my sleep quality, & now, for the blood pressure benefits as well. I was also told by my doctor that it may help in preventing kidney stone formation. I like this brand because of the easily absorbed liqui-gel form, & because it is 400mg rather the usual 250 tablet form.
on September 10, 2012
I'd prefer this to be in 2 smaller capsules instead of one massive capsule for 1 day's dose. Besides being easier to swallow, it would allow me to take 1 in the morning & 1 in the evening.
I've suffered from heart palpitations for some 30 years now...My doctor a long time ago told me that people that suffer the occasional bout of palpitations usually go on to live long happy lives. But a few weeks back a whole new chapter of palpitations came on. It could be any time of the day, under any circumstances when suddenly they would strike. And not just the occasional flutter or skip, but a whole passel of them for a half hour or more. I admit after it happening a few times it started to scare the hell out of me. I mean my chest would be bumping and grinding with an arrhythmia like I had never felt before. Then after a while it would calm down and once again return to a normal rhythm.. The attacks would come usually once a day, but sometimes twice, and I became a nervous wreck that only made it all worse...

I had some time ago left behind going to doctors unless it was something I knew was really serious. So I started doing some research online into palpitations and anxiety that I knew I was having. I also dug a little deeper into scarier things like atrial fibrillation that kept popping up. I really didn't think it was something that serious from what I came across, but at the same time I knew I couldn't keep going on this way. It wasn't until I came across an article about a magnesium supplement, or a deficiency in it that I discovered that it was very effective in keeping palpitations in check. Further research even had me coming across dozens of articles and people in various forums who had palpitation attacks like mine, that swear by a magnesium supplement just stopping them in their tracks. I immediately went out and bought some in 200 mg strength and started taking them twice a day. I swear that by the very first evening the palpitations has stopped. There was a little tiny flutter here and there but nothing like I was experiencing. And increasing the dose to three times a day for a week saw me feeling like a new man. I returned to a normal rhythm and my heartbeat was as calm and normal as I ever remembered it being. I have since settled on 400 mg a day of the Nature made, once a day and feel great...Oh, and if anyone out there should come to believe this is simply a placebo effect, let me tell you that before I started taking magnesium, I tried holy basil, gaba, 5 htp, potassium, and a variety of mood support formulas that helped some, but never just nailed it solid like this stuff does. This has really been to me nothing less than a miracle cure for the horrible palpitations for sure...

Although my first trial with magnesium wasn't the Nature Made brand, I have now been using it regularly. It's easily available locally, as well as here on Amazon all the time at a really good price. I take one capsule in the morning and have not suffered a bout of palpitations since starting it. Do your own research online as to palpitations and magnesium deficiency and then decide if this is right for you too. If you're suffering with them like I was, or see in yourself anything else as to a magnesium deficiency symptoms, I urge you to give this a try. It certainly won't hurt you, and you may just feel like its a miracle cure like I do... : )
on February 8, 2011
I have battled with digestive issues my entire life. I tried the high potency magnesium after having read several articles in health magazines that it helps with digestive issues. I have tried everything under the sun and this is the only thing that has worked for me. It's better than Miralax! And it's good for you!
on March 9, 2012
I've battled constipation since I was 7 years old (now 25). I was using Miralax with good results but then one day it just stopped working. I was horrified - so bloated, backed up, and extremely uncomfortable! I spent hours googling for something new that would help. I tried the Vitamin Shoppe brand Magnesium which did nothing for me. Then I came across a website where an old lady (70 years) said she started using this stuff and became regular for the first time in her life. I saw that it was available at Costco so I went out and bought some. I take one capsule each morning after breakfast and now I'm regular again! Thank you, God, for Nature Made High Potency Magnesium!! I will never go a day without this stuff. I refer to it as my "go poo pill". ;o)

EDIT 05/25/2013: I am still using these and loving the consistent results. However, I am now avoiding the bad ingredients in the pill casing by cutting the pill length-wise and scooping out the magnesium inside. It's tasteless so it's no big deal to me, and I like the fact that I'm not ingesting any of the bad ingredients in the casing of each pill.
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse