Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nature Made Potassium Gluconate 550mg, 100 Tablets (Pack of 3)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Package Quantity: 3|Size: 300|Change

on September 23, 2011
Elemental potassium is not a nice thing to have in your hands. It is in the same chemical family as lithium and sodium, so it is very reactive. Our bodies do need it, however, so we have to consume it in a compound, say potassium gluconate, if we don't get enough from our diet. It doesn't surprise me that 460 mg of the 550 mg of potassium gluconate is really the gluconate. When you consider that every potassium gluconate molecule contains 6 carbon atoms, 7 oxygen atoms, and 11 hydrogen atoms for every potassium atom, the disparity is apparent. In fact, it would be very difficult to find a 550-mg potassium gluconate tablet that had substantially more than 90 mg of elemental potassium.

The effect of the potassium gluconate dosage, even at 550 mg, is not trivial. If you have nighttime leg cramps, take your 550-mg tablet half an hour before bedtime and you'll have fewer cramps. I have been supplementing my diet with potassium gluconate for years, and if I miss a dose my legs let me know (painfully) that very night.

The Nature Made stuff works just fine for me. So does every other brand I have tried.
99 comments|191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2011
The US government only allows OTC potassium supplements to be 3% of RDA, so in most cases any potassium supplement is a waste of money if you need to boost your RDA significantly. Diet is pretty much the only way to get more K without a prescription supplement. If you want to get more potassium without major dietary changes, look into culinary herbs. Parsley, chervil, and celery seed all have significant amounts of potassium in them, and probably other herbs do as well. Do a little googling and you'll see what I mean.

After getting frustrated with supplements and doing some research, I started putting parsley on every dish I could possibly put it on, trying to get at least a couple of tablespoons per day total, along with regularly eating potassium rich whole foods like sweet potatoes, spinach, chard, broccoli, navy & lima beans, avocados, and bananas. Tea and coffee are also apparently pretty good sources, although diuretic. Still, I now drink a mug of tea in the morning, then drink water and homemade lemonade the rest of the day.

If you're looking for potassium for leg cramps, also look into magnesium. 400 mg of magnesium citrate daily took care of chronic charley horses for me, and after a few weeks of taking it regularly skipping a dose was not a problem. If skipping a dose of a mineral is a problem, you simply are not getting enough of it, because the body stores minerals. Serum and tissue levels should not suffer from a day or even a few days of no intake. In other words, if skipping a dose causes symptoms, you need more than you're getting from that daily dose.

The modern American diet does not lend itself to getting adequate amounts of micronutrients, especially potassium and magnesium, which leads to all manner of illness, particularly problems with high blood pressure. It's worth it to pay attention to your intake of these nutrients and figure out the most expedient ways to get them. Good luck.
1414 comments|191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2014
On my very healthy grain/gluten, dye, added flavors, egg, lactose free high fat low-carb diet, one of the few problems I have had has been cramps from the low potassium I ingest in the absence of processed and packaged foods. Taking 2 of these a day, one in the morning and one at night (reduced from 4 a day to restoring depleted levels) has resolved the all over, not just leg, cramps I was having. The bottle advises 1 a day which is appropriate for most people. I was taking 4 to start under medical supervision, and under medical supervision am now on a 2 a day maintenance dose. Please stick to the label instructions unless advised as I was by a medical professional to take a different dosage.
on November 27, 2014
I had leg cramps quite a bit. Couldn't figure out why since I take calcium, magnesium, and vitamins k and d3. Then I started keeping track of my diet on and ipad app called MyNetDiary. It said my potassium was way missing. The gluconate is supposedly good for nerves, and I have a serious neurological condition. Since I got it, I haven't had a cramp since! It doesn't even feel close to cramping. I started with 4, then 2, now 1 in AM and 1 in PM. I think 1 will be enough, and be careful if you take more than 1 because I understand there could be serious reactions to too much.
on January 28, 2013
We use potassium on a daily basis in our home. The varieties we have tried vary in cost and quality quite a bit. These tablets were unbroken and quite cheap. Remember that all potassium pills will show dosage as somewhere between 550 mg and 600 mg. The potassium available for absorption is always around 95mg. This is always the case. So don't be confused that what the bottle says is different from the 550 mg. Higher dosages are only available vie prescription.
on April 7, 2014
I take one of these before bed every night and I sleep so peacefully! I suffer from arthritis in my right knee and the surrounding muscles get very sore and tight. Taking potassium really calms down this muscle pain so that I can sleep soundly.
I also take Potassium when I eat a meal that has too much sodium like Chinese, so that I won't bloat. Potassium works with sodium to control the body's water balance.
This is a really good deal for 3 bottles especially since it is Nature Made.
on November 4, 2011
I was getting night time leg cramps. One before bed keeps me cramp free. My husband takes them as well for the same problem.
on August 17, 2015
I have been looking for natural RA relief for the last 8 years. I have tried acupuncture,massage therapy, chiropractor, seen over 40 medical doctors, had 6 MRI and went to a popular tv NJ doctor for relief. He gave me 5000 iu of vitamin D. pro biotics, lipid mussels omega pills from New Zealand which cost about $120. for a 2 month supply. After not getting any relief I went back to an RA doc who prescribed xeljanz and steroids and stomach pills Omeprazole. I ended up in the emergency room. So i stopped the pills and started looking again for natural alternative. The supermarket had sale on all Nature's Bounty supplements and vitamins. I bought E,D pro biotics, magnesium and Potassium Gluconate by mistake. After reading all the reviews here on Amazon. I decide to take it and hust after 2 weeks taking 1 a day I was able to get out of the bed with little or no struggle. Get up easily from couch or chair and I was able to RUN with my 5 year old for the first time. I think that all RA suffers should look into potassium.
on December 18, 2015
Works for me. I had all these body aches, restless legs and kept getting up every couple hours. Now I can sleep through the night and wake up refreshed. I had to take it for about a month or two until all the symptoms were gone. But they are gone! Yeah!
on July 9, 2015
I have to take Potassium with my prescription pills, and the potassium that I get thru prescription is very expensive, so I decided to try the nature made Potassium Gluconate, which comes in the same mg's that my prescription was in, and the Nature Made works just as well as the prescription ones, at a much reduced cost. I also showed them to my Doctor and he said that they were fine to take, just as good as the script and much cheaper. I use other nature made products and they are all great.