4.0 out of 5 stars Good
I did buy this from Amazon and it was delivered promptly and in good condition.

And also I ordered this for my uncle, who had watched it on PBS, but he did let me watch it. I am not a Harry Potter fan so I really don't know much about his owl.

Published 23 months ago by LionQueen

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but, still recommended
Published 23 months ago by gbo5

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but, still recommended, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
Great subject matter however, the cinematography was nothing special--probably the result of time constraints. Another season or additional cameramen working in various locations would have resulted in a better product. Still, you get a good dose of rearing and feeding the young owlets in a difficult environment along with some interesting behavior. No indication of how the immature owls make their way south or where they are destined for and whether or not they stay together. Also, do the young come back to the same general breeding area year after year or do they disperse widely, and if so how far from their original home range?

DVD quality is quite good upscaled in a blu-ray player. Not sure I'd recommend a more expensive blu-ray version if it should become available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
I did buy this from Amazon and it was delivered promptly and in good condition.

But this documentary is very well done, but a bit sad. The father owl really has to struggle to find food for his mate and thier owlets. And I will give a heads up...all of the baby owls don't make it. But the care that the mother owl shows for her brood is really amazing and touching. It is humorous how the mother owl fusses at the father owl when he is so slow in bringing food. And when the mother owl takes the babies out of the nest, the father owl is pretty clueless about his family's whereabouts for a moment or two. But he catches on after he walks around the empty nest for awhile.

My favorite part was when the young owls have to cross a small river. They can't fly yet so how they get across to thier waiting mother is pretty funny and (I have to say it again) amazing.

So if you like Harry Potter and want to know the real story behind his owl or just like Snowy Owls for themselves, then I recommend this DVD for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snowy Owl, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
Great Snowy Owl Information.
Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Filming, September 7, 2013
Doti (Stuart, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
It was a beautiful film of course. Anything by Nature is. However it did not teach much about the life and habits of this particular owl. I did learn just how northerly their habitat is and am left confounded. I live in South Florida and the only time I've seen a snowy was a dead 1 on the road here. Seems impossible if according to the narrative they don't come within thousands of miles of here but there is absolutely no other bird that looks anything like a fat snowy owl with it's spots and hooked beak! For the price I am glad to own this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 29, 2014
John Taylor (Grants Pass, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
The story of a single family of owls trying to survive on the tundra of the north.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
I really enjoyed this program. I had no idea the young snowy owls came as south as Wisconsin. I would recommend this Nature program to bird lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This belongs in your Bird DVD Library., October 5, 2014
This review is from: Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl (DVD)
Great natural history of the Snowy Owl. Their life is not an easy one. Worth the price. Be sure to check out the Owl Research Institute (ORI) online for additional Snowy Owl natural history. Glad I bought this DVD.

Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl
Nature: Magic of the Snowy Owl by Nature (DVD - 2012)
$19.99 $13.99