Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

VINE VOICEon January 30, 2013
I bought this book as due to a health crisis, I was drawn to imagery that supported my healing. Sulamith Wulfing has always embodied the best aspects of visionary art for me. Her images sprang directly out of her personal visions of the spirit world and reflect a delicate and compassionate unseen world of angels and benign nature spirits who are here to comfort and support both animal and human life. The quality of the prints in this book is quite good and the delicate northern palette that Wulfing favored comes across quite vibrantly. My only complaint is that the book really is quite small. It would've been nice to see the images in a somewhat larger format.

As for the writing, there are a series of stories and essays by nature spirit loving writers who I am unfamiliar with. I enjoyed their gentle descriptions of natural beauty and the occasional anecdotal sightings of fairies, elves, gnomes and the like. These are sweet remembrances that are quite lovely. There are also a couple of stories that seem almost randomly paired with Sulamith's pictures, but the whole thing manages to convey a dreamy, gentler world, outside the mundane world of clocks, cars and bus schedules that most of us find ourselves in our daily lives. However, it is not the stories but the transparent, transcendent beauty of Sulamith's drawings that keeps me returning to take another look. I am grateful for the solace and healing these images have brought me during a very challenging period in my life.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2014
This is a charming little book, and would be a delightful addition to the library of any student of legend and folklore. The artwork is, of course, without comparison. But the text, although rather short - about as long as you might find in a good magazine article - is also worth the price of the book. For the lover of fairy tales, I'd say it should be required reading.
on January 13, 2015
Images so very sensitive and beautiful
on December 29, 2014
Love this artist!
on November 29, 2009
RACHELLE BENVENISTE, WRITER, POET AND WRITING INSTRUCTOR,IS moved by the ethereal illustrations of this book which was the primary purpose of her
purchase. She may give it as a holiday gift. This well known writer and illustrator transports us to a pure, heavenly realm, and she likes to be reminded by images of that place knowing they mirror the inner life.
They inspire the poet in all of us.