Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on May 12, 2012
I received Audubon Birds as Free App of the Day, which lead me to buying the Flower, Tree and Butterfly Guides as well, and all of these were great, so I decided to go ahead and round out my collection with the remaining Audubon Guide apps while there were still on sale.

Unfortunately, Audubon Insects appears to be the weakest of all the Audubon apps. Insects are the most numerous creatures on this planet, yet this app only has 510 entries, and many of those are only at the genus-level, not individual species. I could not find any entry for the Box Elder Bug (Boisea trivittata), which are very plentiful around here, and the app has only a single species of millipede, the large North American Millipede, Narceus americanus.

The number of photos is rather limited, with most species having only a single photo.

While all the other Audubon apps have range maps, Insects & Spiders does not. There is range description text for each listing, but this often quite vague ("Western North America", for instance).

The app has an option to download the entire database, which in the other apps is enormous, but with Insects is a mere 160 MB. If you choose not to download the database, it will consume bandwidth if you have a limited data plan.

The app has an advanced search function, but it only has 5 parameters: shape, habitat, region, color and size.

If an insect has alternative names, the app does not allow you to search for them; you can only search using the primary name and scientific name. For instance, I wanted to look up the June Bug, but it didn't show up in a search. I finally managed to find it by using Google to find the genus name, Phyllophaga. The app listed this particular bug as a May Beetle, and although it showed June Bug as an alternate name, it wouldn't let me search using that term.

Like the other Audubon apps, this app lets you keep a life list, record sightings and take photos, and then upload them to

This app crashes frequently when starting up, but it will start successfully on the second attempt. This occurs with both my Motorola Xoom tablet and my HTC Evo 3D phone.

On my tablet, the app constantly switches back and forth between portrait and landscape.
on April 24, 2013
The app update has been "downloading" for 3 days but not making any progress. It just sits there. I tried deleting the app and then reinstalling, but it did the same thing. Briefly saw a msg that said something about a request to move the app from the SD card to the camera memory card. Droid 2 /the Android 2.4. It had been working fine before this last update.
on October 30, 2012
This app follows the typical audubon app formula where you can browse by body type, name, or order, or you can use the advanced search (only way to search) that lets you specify bdy type, colors, size, habitat, or region. Unfortunately, it's database is pretty hard to work with and contains a fairly random selection. For instance, it contains the German cockroach and desert cockroach, but not any of the common cockroaches. So far, I've only been able to use it to identify a few common insects I already knew. Also, the spider identifier is almost worthless with the few criteria given for use.

On a side note, it's worth pointing out that this doesn't include butterflies, moths, or larvae of pretty much any kind.
on January 23, 2013
This app has a lot of potential. There are several pictures for most species and several ways to search. The app can be slow and if you choose to download all data to your device the download takes a long time and sometimes freezes.
on June 8, 2012
I liked the bird version, and got this one when it was on sale. Too bad the advanced searches don't work very well. The app showed me plenty of bugs and spiders that couldn't possible live where I do, when I asked for the Arctic. Instead, I got to look at lots of southern bugs and spiders that wouldn't last a day here.

The spider section is useless, I was looking for the Hobo, which seems to be appearing all over the north, but it wasn't even listed. This spider gives a bite that kills your flesh and you end up with a giant hole. Plus, if a small pet gets bitten, it can kill them because their blood stops clotting.

This spider lives in at least 10 states, so one would hope it would be listed.

So please Audubon, update this with more than a token number of bugs and spiders.
on December 25, 2013
I love to be able to save all of the bugs that I have come across in my own life and comment about each one as individuals. So many cool bugs in this field guide.
on July 4, 2012
When purchasing something endorsed by audobon you expect to have something more than the bare minimum when it comes to describing the species. I got this mostly to identify critters around my home and am the furthest thing from an insectologist or whatever they go by and I know more than what is given for species in this app. Look up a brown recluse and it doesn't even provide the most definitive feature being the 3 pairs of eyes. Glad I only paid .99 and feel bad for anybody who shelled out $5. On the plus side, the bare minimum of photos included are high quality.
on June 30, 2012
Pretty good app but needs more pics including some from not so close up. The pics are high quality but I am not usually that close to a bug or spider so the pics don't help as much as they could. Would also like more about the stages of development and pictures of those stages. Color search seems off to me - I searched green in one category & got results of other colors. Good value at sale price but hope they upgrade & add some more info and pictures.
VINE VOICEon May 26, 2012
I have the Audubon birds app, which is quite nice, however this app is weak. Even those species listed have sparse info. The images show only the mature adult, and frequently only one view. No images or discussion of larval stages. Glad I only paid 99 cents for this one!
on May 6, 2014
This app is best if you're hoping to learn about insects and spiders in general. If you're hoping to see an unusual insect and then be able to easily look it up, this is not the app for you. First, navigating the app is clunky. You have to use your device's back button to move from one insect back to the search page.

You also have the choices to search by taxonomy or by shape. The shape function was not as easy to use as I'd hoped. If you don't know what you're looking at, the taxonomy choice may not yield what you're looking for.

The most useful function of this app is the advanced search option. This lets you narrow down the insect by size and geography. That said, I was not able to find any of the insects I'd seen around our house.

Overall, this app has potential, but it's just not there yet.