5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Published 19 months ago by Robin

1.0 out of 5 stars Like drinking cake batter
For me, personally, I could not handle the taste of this product. I mixed it with milk, I mixed it with water... nothing could make it edible. It was way too sweet and tasted like drinking chocolate cake batter. I like cake. I like chocolate. I like chocolate cake. I just don't want to drink it.
Published 3 months ago by Coolsaya

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 16, 2013
Robin (Iowa City, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, Decadent Chocolate, 16 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
I'm one of those people that needs to consciously make an effort to consume enough protein and intake a complete profile of vitamins. With than said, I have choked down nearly every protein shake/powder on the market - from SlimFast to Max Protein. Eventually I would stop using the product because I could not bear the taste or smell and I always felt like I had cement in my intestines "crampy, bloated, yucky" after having a protein shake. And to boot, these products were expensive!

Then I discovered NB Complete Protein Shake and fell in love. The taste is decent, it doesn't have a typical protein smell, it contains a reasonable amount of calories/carbs/protein per serving, AND I don't feel sick after drinking it. For me, the vitamins are just an added bonus. If you're not big on the standard chocolate and vanilla flavors - you can always make custom flavors without adding too many calories...

Some of my favorites are...

Pumpkin pie - vanilla powder, canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice

Lemon meringue - vanilla powder, lemon pudding powder

Vanilla Chai - vanilla powder, chai tea (instead of water/milk)

Mocha - chocolate powder, instant coffee

Chocolate Peanut Butter - chocolate powder, PB 2 (powdered peanut butter)

I also like to add sugar-free coffee syrups, flavor oils/extracts, fruit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like a chocolate shake...IF you mix it right, July 12, 2012
I use this as a meal replacement when I'm trying to cut calories quickly. It is extremely filling and DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS the way I make it (1 cup plain almond milk, 1 banana, 1 cup ice, 2 scoops chocolate), I have a vitamix and it blends it beautifully. My husband drinks them and loves them though he does it the lazy stir with a spoon in a glass with almond milk, but he likes it. I don't mind the extra calories the almond milk and banana add since I'm using it as a meal replacement (still only ~280). Seriously, try it. It's so good. And I like it because normally when I cut calories I sacrifice on vitamins, but this is complete with vitamins and pre/pro-biotics, so it HELPS to cover (I still believe you can truly only derive the benefits of a vitamin-packed diet by ingesting them from the food themselves, i.e. a whole foods diet) some of what I may lose by not eating regular, large meals. But hey, it's summer, and I'm starting to look good in a bikini, and I'm not hungry during the day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes pretty good, lots of protein and vitamins, low sugar, and it's filling!, January 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
3/3/13 Update: I tried this today with just water, based on a comment made by another reviewer. One word: YUCK!!! I will happily stick to the Lactaid milk.

2/22/13 UPDATE: I took a break from drinking these shakes because I was bloating afterward. I just started making them again, using Lactaid milk instead of regular 2% milk. Not only did the bloating stop, but wow, did the sweet Lactaid milk improve the taste!! It went from being sufficiently palatable for me to drink it to being really tasty. If you're not crazy about the taste of this shake, try it with the Lactaid milk! It has much less of a protein shake taste.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I am hypoglycemic and am not supposed to eat cereal, but of course I cheat, especially in the winter when it's too cold for my typical protein shake (I use a GNC whey protein powder, glutamine powder, plain yogurt, fruit and ice). Recently I've been drinking the Special K protein shakes, which taste great (love the chocolate), but have 18 grams of sugar and only 10 grams of protein. Even if I eat a piece of fruit with it, I'm hungry again within 2 hours. The GNC protein powder doesn't taste very good, especially if I use the full serving size, so I was happy to try Nature's Bounty protein shake mix.

The Nature's Bounty mix has 15 grams of protein and only 6 grams of sugar! I ordered it in vanilla so I could mix it with fruit, but I wanted to try it plain first. For my first shake, I whisked it into a cup of 2% milk to see how well it would dissolve. Most of it dissolved with some vigorous whisking, but it was still a bit gritty (I am hoping to avoid having to use my blender every day). It tasted a lot better than GNC's shake but still definitely has the protein shake taste. It has a good enough flavor, whereas the Special K drinks are downright yummy. I would actually drink this plain, something I never do with GNC's shake. It has a slight vanilla cake batter taste.

The second time, I blended it, using the two scoops of powder and again, a cup of milk. It mixed much better and had a smoother consistency. Just now, I made it again, adding a handful of ice cubes. While the shake didn't thicken and was still as thin as flavored milk, it did increase the volume slightly. The taste was watered down a bit, of course, but still palatable. However, if I'm going to use ice going forward, I'll add fruit to give it some flavor. I'll also try blending it with plain yogurt when I want a thicker shake.

With the milk, the shake has about 23 grams of protein! When I had a shake yesterday, I didn't get hungry again for 6 HOURS! And I am always hungry (seriously). I did have two clementines in that 6-hour period, but that was primarily to keep my blood sugar levels up.

Another important feature of the Nature's Bounty protein shake mix: it is LOADED with vitamins! It has 100% of the U.S. RDA for most vitamins found in a standard multi-vitamin pill. The ones it doesn't: calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium. I take a multi and take each of those as individual supplements as well (except the iron), so if I were to drink this shake every day, I could probably cut out the multi. It also contains digestive enzymes, probiotics for intestinal health, flaxseed for your omega-3 intake, and stevia instead of sugar. They really mean it when they say "complete"! It's also gluten-free, ok for vegetarians, and has 5 grams of fiber. I can't think of a single reason not to use this every day. (I've been wanting to lose 20 pounds, so if I do while using this daily, I will report the results!!)

The 16-ounce container makes about 13 shakes, so it costs about $1 a shake. The less filling Special K shakes cost $1.25-1.50 per shake depending on where you buy them, so Nature's Bounty is not just better for you, it's a better value. I will be buying the chocolate as well, and saving the Special K shakes for when I need something on the run and want to avoid fast food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix is an excellent way to maximize protein intake and vitamins based on women's needs ..., March 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For quite a while I used to use a whey protein formula simply to get enough protein in my diet. I seldom ate meat and now as a vegetarian, I can be assured that Nature's Bounty Complete Protein & Vitamin Mix will work for me. I try to get as much protein as I can from regular food sources, but when I can't this mix will work well.

No, whey simply doesn't taste all that great. I know years ago when I first tried it, it would practically cross my eyes. This chocolate mix is quite good, but if you want to disguise it even more I'd suggest adding it to your favorite yogurt. After a while when I did this, I actually got used to the whey taste and ended up liking it. Believe me, the taste can really throw you at first, but you can get used to it.

I used Rice Dream Drink, Enriched Original, another product I purchase through Amazon. It's suitable for vegetarians and vegans and comes in aseptic packaging that has an excellent shelf life. One nice thing about Nature's Bounty Complete Protein & Vitamin Mix is that it is designed for the needs of women and has the vitamin mix most of us need. It is low on iron and calcium, which on one level is a good thing because physicians do individual prescribing. For example, some people may need only 800 mg of calcium, while others need 1,200 mg. If you prefer, the Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, Vanilla is also available.

CHOCOLATE TROPICAL PARADISE

2 Scoops Optimal Solutions Chocolate Complete Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix
¾ Cup Skim Milk

1 Tbs Coconut Pudding Mix

½ Banana

1 Cup Ice
Blend all ingredients in blender

PRODUCT PROFILE AT A GLANCE:

++ Energy metabolism**: Vitamin B1, B2, B6 and B12 along with niacin and folic acid ++ Cell growth and function**: Complete profile of amino acids
++ Digestive health**: ProbioGuard proprietary probiotic blend and digestive health enzyme blend
++ Hair, skin and nail health**: Biotin
++ Nutrient rich formula, the nutrition you need for a healthy body**
++ Excellent source of fiber 5 g* to promote intestinal and colon health**
++ With antioxidants, electrolytes and omega-3
++ Naturally flavored, no artificial color, preservatives, gluten, wheat, yeast or fish

* Per serving

**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

INGREDIENTS:

Pea Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Fructose, Inulin, Natural Flavors, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:

Serving Size 2 Scoops (33g)
Servings Per Container about 13

Calcium 193mg
Iron 2mg
Magnesium 38mg

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good -- a first review., September 14, 2012
The price of Orgain, my favorite health drink, went through the roof. I looked around for a moderately priced replacement and found Nature' Bounty Vanilla. I examined the ingredients carefully and it all looked good.(Proprietary Protein Blend: Pea Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Fructose, Inulin, Natural Flavors, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Contains milk and soy ingredients.) Additionally, only 6 grams of sugar per serving-- some of the health drinks have as much as 22 grams of sugar, too much, in my opinion.

This drink tastes like what it is -- a health food; that is, it won't be confused with a soda fountain vanilla milkshake. Even so, I found it pleasant when mixed with eight ounces of one per cent milk. I put the two tablespoons of the protein powder in milk and then used a soda fountain style mixer to blend the ingredients. After a couple of minutes I poured the mix into a glass. The powder was completely disolved and the drink did look like a soda fountain shake, but as mentioned, tasted like a light vanilla health food beverage. When I added two tablespoons of Carnation Malted Milk to the mix, the flavor improved dramatically. Even so, it still tastes like what it is -- health food.

I will let the nutrition experts comment on the true value of this product for our health and well being. I'll come back to this review after I have finished the entire contents of the 16 ounce container and update Amazon readers about any perceived health benefits from this product.

Update: I continue to use this protein shake and find it filling and satisfying. I now add coffee milk to the mix and the flavor has improved dramatically.

Update 2: I tried the chocolate flavor and like it better than the vanila. It has a cocoa taste and is not too sweet. I then added a tablespoon of Carnation Malted Milk to the second shake I made and liked the results very much. It seems like this is a nutritious drink, but I am open to comments from people who know more than I do. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunger-Curbing Protein Shake, June 7, 2014
B. Murphy (Northern California) - See all my reviews
When I first went looking for a protein drink, my main goal was to find a protein powder that was filling, tasted good, and also provided a bit of nutrition. I did quite a bit of research - comparing Slim Fast, ViSalus, and Premier Protein among others. One of my colleagues was nice enough to let me try one of her chocolate Premier protein shakes. After trying it (it had 30 grams of protein - tasted pretty good) I was still hungry after a couple of hours, which was disappointing to me, considering how much protein was in the shake. When I ran across this shake, I was intrigued that it had not only protein, but vitamins and digestive enzymes as well. I was definitely hooked, also when I saw the various reviews stating how delicious and filling the shakes were. I decided to take a chance on these shakes and ordered the decadent chocolate.

A week and a half later, I have been consistently replacing one to two meals a day with two scoops of the protein powder, mixed with two tablespoons of PB2 powdered peanut butter and 8oz - 12 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I mix this together in a blender bottle and it tastes just like a more liquidy peanut butter chocolate milkshake. Mixing the almond milk, PB2, and protein powder, I stay consistently full at work from breakfast until lunch hour - around 4 hours without any hunger pains.

I highly recommend purchasing this shake. I just recently purchased my second container of this powder a couple days ago. Due to the addition of the digestive enzymes and the vitamins, I store the powder in the refrigerator, along with the almond milk. It doesn't say anywhere on the container that you need to do that, but I do it anyway as an added precaution. Also: the powder does come with a scoop in the container. I had to literally dig around in the container to find it, as the powder had buried it, but I eventually found it. If you order this powder, you will not be disappointed. It's definitely a protein powder, but it doesn't taste like one - it is very palatable. You can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars It taste great!, January 6, 2014
It tase great & curbs my hunger! My sister likes it too!
It has more nutrional than anything else I have tried!

5.0 out of 5 stars This shake tastes great and is a fantastic price for all you get, August 12, 2014
This shake tastes great and is a fantastic price for all you get! All your daily vitamins conveniently in one shake. I drink this every morning, I add a cup of frozen berries, a scoop of almond butter, and a cup of almond milk. My 1 year old goes crazy when I make this too! He loves helping me drink it. I can tell my hair, skin and nails are looking great after a month of drinking this shake. I just ordered my second tub. Highly recommend over the ever popular and also quite expensive Shakeology. I originally found this at my local Walgreens where they sell it for 17.99. So I'll definitely buy it thru Amazon from now on. I'm really glad I found this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great and good for you, May 29, 2013
I have one of these shakes almost every morning. I have a very specific recipe. In a good blender I put a banana, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, a handful of spinach, or kale (I swear you can't taste it),1 cup of ice, 10 ounces of unsweetened almond milk and 2 scoops of the vitamin powder. Don't put the powder on top. Layer between some of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Love it. I am addicted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like drinking cake batter, July 27, 2014