5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Published 16 months ago by Robin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
The canister was only half full. It doesn't really mix well. It has a good taste. I don't feel the price is suitable for the amount you get.
Published 16 months ago by melissa preston

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 16, 2013
Robin (Iowa City, Iowa) - See all my reviews
I'm one of those people that needs to consciously make an effort to consume enough protein and intake a complete profile of vitamins. With than said, I have choked down nearly every protein shake/powder on the market - from SlimFast to Max Protein. Eventually I would stop using the product because I could not bear the taste or smell and I always felt like I had cement in my intestines "crampy, bloated, yucky" after having a protein shake. And to boot, these products were expensive!

Then I discovered NB Complete Protein Shake and fell in love. The taste is decent, it doesn't have a typical protein smell, it contains a reasonable amount of calories/carbs/protein per serving, AND I don't feel sick after drinking it. For me, the vitamins are just an added bonus. If you're not big on the standard chocolate and vanilla flavors - you can always make custom flavors without adding too many calories...

Some of my favorites are...

Pumpkin pie - vanilla powder, canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice

Lemon meringue - vanilla powder, lemon pudding powder

Vanilla Chai - vanilla powder, chai tea (instead of water/milk)

Mocha - chocolate powder, instant coffee

Chocolate Peanut Butter - chocolate powder, PB 2 (powdered peanut butter)

I also like to add sugar-free coffee syrups, flavor oils/extracts, fruit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like a chocolate shake...IF you mix it right, July 12, 2012
I use this as a meal replacement when I'm trying to cut calories quickly. It is extremely filling and DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS the way I make it (1 cup plain almond milk, 1 banana, 1 cup ice, 2 scoops chocolate), I have a vitamix and it blends it beautifully. My husband drinks them and loves them though he does it the lazy stir with a spoon in a glass with almond milk, but he likes it. I don't mind the extra calories the almond milk and banana add since I'm using it as a meal replacement (still only ~280). Seriously, try it. It's so good. And I like it because normally when I cut calories I sacrifice on vitamins, but this is complete with vitamins and pre/pro-biotics, so it HELPS to cover (I still believe you can truly only derive the benefits of a vitamin-packed diet by ingesting them from the food themselves, i.e. a whole foods diet) some of what I may lose by not eating regular, large meals. But hey, it's summer, and I'm starting to look good in a bikini, and I'm not hungry during the day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes pretty good, lots of protein and vitamins, low sugar, and it's filling!, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, Vanilla, 16 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
3/3/13 Update: I tried this today with just water, based on a comment made by another reviewer. One word: YUCK!!! I will happily stick to the Lactaid milk.

2/22/13 UPDATE: I took a break from drinking these shakes because I was bloating afterward. I just started making them again, using Lactaid milk instead of regular 2% milk. Not only did the bloating stop, but wow, did the sweet Lactaid milk improve the taste!! It went from being sufficiently palatable for me to drink it to being really tasty. If you're not crazy about the taste of this shake, try it with the Lactaid milk! It has much less of a protein shake taste.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I am hypoglycemic and am not supposed to eat cereal, but of course I cheat, especially in the winter when it's too cold for my typical protein shake (I use a GNC whey protein powder, glutamine powder, plain yogurt, fruit and ice). Recently I've been drinking the Special K protein shakes, which taste great (love the chocolate), but have 18 grams of sugar and only 10 grams of protein. Even if I eat a piece of fruit with it, I'm hungry again within 2 hours. The GNC protein powder doesn't taste very good, especially if I use the full serving size, so I was happy to try Nature's Bounty protein shake mix.

The Nature's Bounty mix has 15 grams of protein and only 6 grams of sugar! I ordered it in vanilla so I could mix it with fruit, but I wanted to try it plain first. For my first shake, I whisked it into a cup of 2% milk to see how well it would dissolve. Most of it dissolved with some vigorous whisking, but it was still a bit gritty (I am hoping to avoid having to use my blender every day). It tasted a lot better than GNC's shake but still definitely has the protein shake taste. It has a good enough flavor, whereas the Special K drinks are downright yummy. I would actually drink this plain, something I never do with GNC's shake. It has a slight vanilla cake batter taste.

The second time, I blended it, using the two scoops of powder and again, a cup of milk. It mixed much better and had a smoother consistency. Just now, I made it again, adding a handful of ice cubes. While the shake didn't thicken and was still as thin as flavored milk, it did increase the volume slightly. The taste was watered down a bit, of course, but still palatable. However, if I'm going to use ice going forward, I'll add fruit to give it some flavor. I'll also try blending it with plain yogurt when I want a thicker shake.

With the milk, the shake has about 23 grams of protein! When I had a shake yesterday, I didn't get hungry again for 6 HOURS! And I am always hungry (seriously). I did have two clementines in that 6-hour period, but that was primarily to keep my blood sugar levels up.

Another important feature of the Nature's Bounty protein shake mix: it is LOADED with vitamins! It has 100% of the U.S. RDA for most vitamins found in a standard multi-vitamin pill. The ones it doesn't: calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium. I take a multi and take each of those as individual supplements as well (except the iron), so if I were to drink this shake every day, I could probably cut out the multi. It also contains digestive enzymes, probiotics for intestinal health, flaxseed for your omega-3 intake, and stevia instead of sugar. They really mean it when they say "complete"! It's also gluten-free, ok for vegetarians, and has 5 grams of fiber. I can't think of a single reason not to use this every day. (I've been wanting to lose 20 pounds, so if I do while using this daily, I will report the results!!)

The 16-ounce container makes about 13 shakes, so it costs about $1 a shake. The less filling Special K shakes cost $1.25-1.50 per shake depending on where you buy them, so Nature's Bounty is not just better for you, it's a better value. I will be buying the chocolate as well, and saving the Special K shakes for when I need something on the run and want to avoid fast food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and keeps you full, November 29, 2013
Addy (Tucson, AZ) - See all my reviews
I hope this remains on Amazon and Prime because this is the only protein mix that actually tastes delicious AND keeps you full. I've been trying to lose weight and have been using different meal replacers and they all have tons of chemicals and sugar in them. This has more natural ingredients (still has maltodextrin but I guess they all do) and serves several purposes so I can feel better about drinking it. The taste is great - the first time I tried it (I got a free sample in the mail) I thought it tasted like birthday cake. And again, I'm really pleased with how full this keeps me from meal to meal. I wish Costco still carried it so I can get big tubs of it for a cheap price but I'll make do with the 16 oz for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good -- a first review., September 14, 2012
The price of Orgain, my favorite health drink, went through the roof. I looked around for a moderately priced replacement and found Nature' Bounty Vanilla. I examined the ingredients carefully and it all looked good.(Proprietary Protein Blend: Pea Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Fructose, Inulin, Natural Flavors, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Contains milk and soy ingredients.) Additionally, only 6 grams of sugar per serving-- some of the health drinks have as much as 22 grams of sugar, too much, in my opinion.

This drink tastes like what it is -- a health food; that is, it won't be confused with a soda fountain vanilla milkshake. Even so, I found it pleasant when mixed with eight ounces of one per cent milk. I put the two tablespoons of the protein powder in milk and then used a soda fountain style mixer to blend the ingredients. After a couple of minutes I poured the mix into a glass. The powder was completely disolved and the drink did look like a soda fountain shake, but as mentioned, tasted like a light vanilla health food beverage. When I added two tablespoons of Carnation Malted Milk to the mix, the flavor improved dramatically. Even so, it still tastes like what it is -- health food.

I will let the nutrition experts comment on the true value of this product for our health and well being. I'll come back to this review after I have finished the entire contents of the 16 ounce container and update Amazon readers about any perceived health benefits from this product.

Update: I continue to use this protein shake and find it filling and satisfying. I now add coffee milk to the mix and the flavor has improved dramatically.

Update 2: I tried the chocolate flavor and like it better than the vanila. It has a cocoa taste and is not too sweet. I then added a tablespoon of Carnation Malted Milk to the second shake I made and liked the results very much. It seems like this is a nutritious drink, but I am open to comments from people who know more than I do. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Perfect Nutritional Standard, February 26, 2014
Buy this. You won't loose weight overnight but it will help with other things!

I have an auto-immune disease and this shake really helps being wheat and gluten free.
My body attacks food, literally, and it makes it painful and nauseating to eat on a regular basis. I cannot eat meat or process proteins right.

This not only replaces my multi-vitamin but in a shake with fruit and Kerns Nectar, it tastes so good!

I drink at breakfast and lunch and I am very satisfied. Loosing weight too, at a natural pace... :]

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great and good for you, May 29, 2013
I have one of these shakes almost every morning. I have a very specific recipe. In a good blender I put a banana, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, a handful of spinach, or kale (I swear you can't taste it),1 cup of ice, 10 ounces of unsweetened almond milk and 2 scoops of the vitamin powder. Don't put the powder on top. Layer between some of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Love it. I am addicted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, January 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like you, after the first of the year, I reevaluated my life and determined to make some changes. I wanted first to get healthier and get out of the habit of all day snacking. I work at a 925 for a 6 hour stretch and get one 15 minute break. Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix is enough to get me through the last leg of my day. I used one scoop with water and it's light but still very tasty. I made it with soy milk and it tasted like chocolate pudding! I am not even a big fan of chocolate and I loved it! Two scoops it 120 calories and with soy milk, I could use it to replace a midday meal.

Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix is packed with vitamins and minerals and is the perfect blend for vegans and vegetarians. Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix makes me feel great all day. I've been eating less, just not feeling the need to constantly eat. I never feel that blazing hunger that makes me lose all perspective. When I start to feel hungry, I have already planned for my light snack, or meal.

I recommend this to anyone who loves chocolate drinks, wants to feel great and is trying to improve their health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, March 1, 2014
Toastqueen (Where in the world am I, indeed?) - See all my reviews
Great Vanilla Bean Flavor, no stevia aftertaste, and mixes well. Very happy to find a protein supplement that doesn't have aspartame or splenda in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It taste great!, January 6, 2014
It tase great & curbs my hunger! My sister likes it too!
It has more nutrional than anything else I have tried!

Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, Vanilla, 16 Ounce