Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Flavor: VanillaChange

on March 16, 2013
I'm one of those people that needs to consciously make an effort to consume enough protein and intake a complete profile of vitamins. With than said, I have choked down nearly every protein shake/powder on the market - from SlimFast to Max Protein. Eventually I would stop using the product because I could not bear the taste or smell and I always felt like I had cement in my intestines "crampy, bloated, yucky" after having a protein shake. And to boot, these products were expensive!

Then I discovered NB Complete Protein Shake and fell in love. The taste is decent, it doesn't have a typical protein smell, it contains a reasonable amount of calories/carbs/protein per serving, AND I don't feel sick after drinking it. For me, the vitamins are just an added bonus. If you're not big on the standard chocolate and vanilla flavors - you can always make custom flavors without adding too many calories...

Some of my favorites are...

Pumpkin pie - vanilla powder, canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice

Lemon meringue - vanilla powder, lemon pudding powder

Vanilla Chai - vanilla powder, chai tea (instead of water/milk)

Mocha - chocolate powder, instant coffee

Chocolate Peanut Butter - chocolate powder, PB 2 (powdered peanut butter)

I also like to add sugar-free coffee syrups, flavor oils/extracts, fruit.
66 comments371 of 384 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2015
Love this stuff. Finally subscribed and saved because it's so good. Someone wanted to know the nutrition facts so I'm posting a pic for them. Hope this helps!
review image
11 comment142 of 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2012
I use this as a meal replacement when I'm trying to cut calories quickly. It is extremely filling and DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS the way I make it (1 cup plain almond milk, 1 banana, 1 cup ice, 2 scoops chocolate), I have a vitamix and it blends it beautifully. My husband drinks them and loves them though he does it the lazy stir with a spoon in a glass with almond milk, but he likes it. I don't mind the extra calories the almond milk and banana add since I'm using it as a meal replacement (still only ~280). Seriously, try it. It's so good. And I like it because normally when I cut calories I sacrifice on vitamins, but this is complete with vitamins and pre/pro-biotics, so it HELPS to cover (I still believe you can truly only derive the benefits of a vitamin-packed diet by ingesting them from the food themselves, i.e. a whole foods diet) some of what I may lose by not eating regular, large meals. But hey, it's summer, and I'm starting to look good in a bikini, and I'm not hungry during the day :)
55 comments223 of 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2014
I purchased this product as part of a diet I started. I was making a shake each morning because of the fiber content to help control my hunger. It didn't help with the hunger much for the first couple of days but day 3 I finally found it relieved my hunger until lunch time. But this is not what I like about the product - It just came to me the other day that I had not had an IBS attack in a couple of weeks. I have had IBS for over 20 years and suffer several painful attacks each week. I thought of why all of the sudden have the attacks stopped? I thought of my shake and read the ingredients label more carefully. I looked up several of the main ingredients and discovered that Probiotics have been shown in some studies to help relieve IBS. I also have been feeling more energetic and less tired, and have always been anemic. Iron is in this shake mix and I can feel it making a difference. I have been having a shake every morning for 3 weeks now and each day I feel better and better. I have never had this happen with any other product. No other food item I have eaten with probiotics has had the same effect. It has been a lifesaver for me! It will be a part of my morning routine from now on.

5/30/14: Just wanted to update my review to say I am still drinking a shake every morning and I feel great! I must have been missing some nutrients and vitamins all this time. My IBS is gone! My daughter even told me last night that I seem so much happier and healthier that she wants a shake each morning too!
99 comments87 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2015
I've tried many different protein powders and I didn't think I would find anything that could beat Shakeology - problem is, I hate paying a gold bar every time I run out. This is the first protein powder that comes close. Damn close. So close that I do a jig every time I pull out my Nature's Bounty mix. I've only bought the chocolate so I can't comment on the other flavors. I usually mix mine with organic soy or raw milk and strawberries. Simple... and best of all cheap. In terms of feeling full... it is equivalent to Shakeology. I'm still hungry by noon but I haven't found anything to stave off hunger longer than four hours anyway.
0Comment57 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
Flavor: VanillaVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
3/3/13 Update: I tried this today with just water, based on a comment made by another reviewer. One word: YUCK!!! I will happily stick to the Lactaid milk.

2/22/13 UPDATE: I took a break from drinking these shakes because I was bloating afterward. I just started making them again, using Lactaid milk instead of regular 2% milk. Not only did the bloating stop, but wow, did the sweet Lactaid milk improve the taste!! It went from being sufficiently palatable for me to drink it to being really tasty. If you're not crazy about the taste of this shake, try it with the Lactaid milk! It has much less of a protein shake taste.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I am hypoglycemic and am not supposed to eat cereal, but of course I cheat, especially in the winter when it's too cold for my typical protein shake (I use a GNC whey protein powder, glutamine powder, plain yogurt, fruit and ice). Recently I've been drinking the Special K protein shakes, which taste great (love the chocolate), but have 18 grams of sugar and only 10 grams of protein. Even if I eat a piece of fruit with it, I'm hungry again within 2 hours. The GNC protein powder doesn't taste very good, especially if I use the full serving size, so I was happy to try Nature's Bounty protein shake mix.

The Nature's Bounty mix has 15 grams of protein and only 6 grams of sugar! I ordered it in vanilla so I could mix it with fruit, but I wanted to try it plain first. For my first shake, I whisked it into a cup of 2% milk to see how well it would dissolve. Most of it dissolved with some vigorous whisking, but it was still a bit gritty (I am hoping to avoid having to use my blender every day). It tasted a lot better than GNC's shake but still definitely has the protein shake taste. It has a good enough flavor, whereas the Special K drinks are downright yummy. I would actually drink this plain, something I never do with GNC's shake. It has a slight vanilla cake batter taste.

The second time, I blended it, using the two scoops of powder and again, a cup of milk. It mixed much better and had a smoother consistency. Just now, I made it again, adding a handful of ice cubes. While the shake didn't thicken and was still as thin as flavored milk, it did increase the volume slightly. The taste was watered down a bit, of course, but still palatable. However, if I'm going to use ice going forward, I'll add fruit to give it some flavor. I'll also try blending it with plain yogurt when I want a thicker shake.

With the milk, the shake has about 23 grams of protein! When I had a shake yesterday, I didn't get hungry again for 6 HOURS! And I am always hungry (seriously). I did have two clementines in that 6-hour period, but that was primarily to keep my blood sugar levels up.

Another important feature of the Nature's Bounty protein shake mix: it is LOADED with vitamins! It has 100% of the U.S. RDA for most vitamins found in a standard multi-vitamin pill. The ones it doesn't: calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium. I take a multi and take each of those as individual supplements as well (except the iron), so if I were to drink this shake every day, I could probably cut out the multi. It also contains digestive enzymes, probiotics for intestinal health, flaxseed for your omega-3 intake, and stevia instead of sugar. They really mean it when they say "complete"! It's also gluten-free, ok for vegetarians, and has 5 grams of fiber. I can't think of a single reason not to use this every day. (I've been wanting to lose 20 pounds, so if I do while using this daily, I will report the results!!)

The 16-ounce container makes about 13 shakes, so it costs about $1 a shake. The less filling Special K shakes cost $1.25-1.50 per shake depending on where you buy them, so Nature's Bounty is not just better for you, it's a better value. I will be buying the chocolate as well, and saving the Special K shakes for when I need something on the run and want to avoid fast food.
66 comments116 of 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Flavor: Decadent ChocolateVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For quite a while I used to use a whey protein formula simply to get enough protein in my diet. I seldom ate meat and now as a vegetarian, I can be assured that Nature's Bounty Complete Protein & Vitamin Mix will work for me. I try to get as much protein as I can from regular food sources, but when I can't this mix will work well.

No, whey simply doesn't taste all that great. I know years ago when I first tried it, it would practically cross my eyes. This chocolate mix is quite good, but if you want to disguise it even more I'd suggest adding it to your favorite yogurt. After a while when I did this, I actually got used to the whey taste and ended up liking it. Believe me, the taste can really throw you at first, but you can get used to it.

I used Rice Dream Drink, Enriched Original, another product I purchase through Amazon. It's suitable for vegetarians and vegans and comes in aseptic packaging that has an excellent shelf life. One nice thing about Nature's Bounty Complete Protein & Vitamin Mix is that it is designed for the needs of women and has the vitamin mix most of us need. It is low on iron and calcium, which on one level is a good thing because physicians do individual prescribing. For example, some people may need only 800 mg of calcium, while others need 1,200 mg. If you prefer, the Nature's Bounty Protein Shake Mix, Vanilla is also available.

CHOCOLATE TROPICAL PARADISE

2 Scoops Optimal Solutions Chocolate Complete Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix
¾ Cup Skim Milk

1 Tbs Coconut Pudding Mix

½ Banana

1 Cup Ice
Blend all ingredients in blender

PRODUCT PROFILE AT A GLANCE:

++ Energy metabolism**: Vitamin B1, B2, B6 and B12 along with niacin and folic acid ++ Cell growth and function**: Complete profile of amino acids
++ Digestive health**: ProbioGuard proprietary probiotic blend and digestive health enzyme blend
++ Hair, skin and nail health**: Biotin
++ Nutrient rich formula, the nutrition you need for a healthy body**
++ Excellent source of fiber 5 g* to promote intestinal and colon health**
++ With antioxidants, electrolytes and omega-3
++ Naturally flavored, no artificial color, preservatives, gluten, wheat, yeast or fish

* Per serving

**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

INGREDIENTS:

Pea Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Fructose, Inulin, Natural Flavors, Maltodextrin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:

Serving Size 2 Scoops (33g)
Servings Per Container about 13

Pantothenic acid 10mg
Calcium 193mg
Iron 2mg
Magnesium 38mg
11 comment49 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2015
I love it, it's so satisfying! (8 oz vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, 2 scoops of the mix,4 ice cubs) yummy breakfast!
review image
0Comment25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2014
I am a full figured woman trying to loose weight and get healthy. I have compared several protein powders...some of which scared me. I was looking for something to be a meal replacement, but most of the protien powders I looked at had Extreme, Ripped, Muscle Maddness..lol... on them. Ok so they scared me, I was just starting out so im not at the point of super workouts...baby steps! I finally found this one and GNC Total Lean 25. Comparing the two Natures Bounty has more Vitamins in it, in 2 scoops of the GNC one has 25g of protien compared to the 15 in Natures. GNC cost $42.00 compared to Natures cost of $13.00. I ended up with this one because of the cost and the Vitamins. I have been using this for about 2 months and have lost 16lbs so far. I use 3 scoops and mix with a banana keeps me full for an average of 3 hours. I have one going out the door in the morning (9:00), by 12:15 im hungry so I have a snack bar and a nother shake at lunch (2:30) and good for dinner by 6:00. Im glad I finally found a product that works for me.... on my way to healthy.
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
The label images are outdated and the ingredients have changed. This product is no longer gluten free (which I verified with Nature's Bounty). If you're looking for a gluten free protein powder, this is not it.
22 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse