Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

on August 9, 2006
I have been using Nature's Gate Organics Acne Treatment System for just under a year now and absolutely love the results. I had been using another kit that uses benzoyl peroxide as its main acne-fighting ingredient, but it really dried my skin out and the bleaching action of the peroxide ruined countless towels and T-shirt necklines.

So when a friend recommended Nature's Gate Organics Acne Kit, I thought I'd give it a try. After that first kit, I've never even considered using anything else. I find the salicylic acid based formula gentler on my skin but still very effective at clearing up breakouts and preventing new ones. I've used salicylic acid products in the past without the greatest results, but however Nature's Gate Organics acne product is formulated, IT WORKS. (According to their packaging, it's the combination with the Oligopeptide-10 that makes the salicylic acid more effective.)

It's really important to stick to the complete regimen, though. When I first started using the kit, I used the three products haphazardly, using the cleanser one day but not the toner and lotion, etc. I could tell the difference, though, when I followed the package directions and used all three. The cleanser, toner and lotion each have their function and I'm really happy with how my skin feels and looks when I use the whole system. I've gotten a lot of compliments on how good my skin looks, too, since I started using Nature's Gate Organics.

This is also the first formula I've found that didn't dry out my skin. I think most acne products are formulated for teens with really oily skin. For those of us past puberty (I'm 30+) but still dealing with adult acne, we need products that are effective but gentle. And the fact that it contains natural/organic ingredients is an added bonus. All of those botanicals makes it smell great, too!

For me, Nature's Gate Organics Acne Treatment is perfect. I don't write a lot of reviews, but I felt compelled when I saw it posted here because I really believe in this product. Plus, I'm so glad Amazon is offering it and at such a good price!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2009
I did a lot of research on organic, cruelty-free skincare before choosing this kit, and I've noticed pretty much everything has extreme ratings on all organic skincare products, either good or bad. Everyone has a different lifestyle, genes, skin type, etc. that factor into their acne causes, but my review is based on the following:

-I've tried Proactiv, Clinique, Doxycycline and accompanying prescription treatment system, and all of them only made me worse and rashy/Doxy made me extremely sick.
-I have allergic skin reactions to many chemicals, like those found in standard laundry detergent.
-My acne is mostly hormonal - when I started taking birth control pills and using tea tree oil and some soap it completely cleared up. I also break out a lot from stress. I'm also a professional musician and spend a lot of time on stage in costume, with heavy makeup on, sweating up a storm, which helps me break out as well.
-I'm 25, female, vegetarian, consume very little refined sugar, dairy, wheat, processed foods, exercise daily and avoid OTC medication as much as possible (I DO consume alcohol regularly).

That being said, when I stopped taking birth control pills, my weight dropped dramatically, prompting me to not want to get back on them. However, my acne, after five years of being clear, returned with a vengeance, and tea tree oil no longer cut it. I had cystic acne up and down my entire back and neck, weird rashlike acne on my upper arms with huge weird bumps that would eventually pop like zits, and tons of breakouts on my face. It this was worse than ANYTHING I've ever had, even as a teenager.

Within a couple days of using Nature's Gate, my regular acne had almost completely cleared up, and my cystic acne looked like regular acne. I am, as well, supplementing with vitamins and a homeopathic acne pill (ClearAc), as I read acne can be caused by things like poor blood oxygenation, zinc deficiency or other vitamin-repairable factors. Someone said they felt burning when they used this kit - I just feel a gentle, refreshing tingling. As I said before, though, everyone has different sensitivities!

Keep in mind, you DO have to have a religious skin regimen to see results, as with anything, be it Nature's Gate, ProActiv, or just plain bathing. You wouldn't expect your deodorant to keep you from stinking if you didn't reapply it or bathe for multiple days! And, for some people, it may take longer than others to see said results.

Long story short, I don't usually write long reviews, but I feel very strongly about using cruelty-free, natural products whenever possible, and, as a professional musician, I was having a really hard time being broken out and performing every night, being photographed, filmed for television, etc., as so many people see me daily! I hope some of you with similar lifestyles/body types read my review and find it helpful. Btw, I did a little searching online and found this kit for only $17, which is initially why I decided to try it!
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Even though I'm out of my teens, I still have problems with blemishes appearing so I'm willing to try anything to completely clear my skin. The Nature's Gate Organic Acne Treatment is a three step process of cleanser, toner and lotion. The box says for morning and night use and I've been using it everyday without a problem so it should be okay for twice a day, everyday use.

I've been doing the three step process everyday for almost two weeks and I can't really see a difference in my skin. It doesn't really take care of blackheads and it has not stopped a new zit from forming on my forehead. The three step process is a bit tedious and if you do not have the patience to perform the regime, it can probably be easy to stop because you just don't feel like keeping up the process.

On the plus side, it's great to find an organic product. Especially because it doesn't have any harsh or strong smells to it as some acne treatments can have. It also has cut down on my forehead getting too oily during the day which is a great thing.

So even though it hasn't really made too much on my skin yet, I'm planning to keep using the product in hope that it can change my skin some. And even though it hasn't totally worked with me, doesn't mean that it can't work for some people.
on November 30, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received Nature's Gate Organics Acne Treatment System to try out as part of the Vine program and have been pleased with its performance so far. I must admit that I no longer have the huge acne problems that I used to have when I was a teen and in my early 20s. Part of the reason why it seems to have resolved itself is that I learned how to better take care of my skin. When I was in my 20s, I purchased the ProActiv acne treatment system and it really helped clear my skin. The Nature's Gate system is of a similar vein -- it comes with a facial cleanser with salicyclic acid to clean your skin and pores of oil and acne-causing bacteria; toner to neutralize the PH of your skin following washing and further cleansing the pores; and acne treatment lotion with salicylic acid to reduce inflammation and keep your pores clear.

Contrary to its name, salicylic acid is actually a very effective acne inhibitor without being too harsh, though it is not as strong as benzoyl peroxide, which is not in the Nature's Gate system but can be found in the ProActiv system or otc acne medications such as Clearasil. Thus, I think that the Nature's Gate Acne Treatment System might be a cheaper and also effective alternative to the higher-end ProActiv system, for those who have mild to moderate acne problems.

But here's the key to having either system work for you: you have to find a good moisturizer! So, indeed, the acne treatment cannot be effective only in 3 steps -- you need to have four steps! Of course, both systems sell moisturizers separately, so that they can make more money off of you. But you don't need to buy theirs. In fact, I've found that every skin type can react very differently to different brands/types of moisturizer, so the tricky part is that you may have to experiment with a few, in order to find the right balance. One moisturizer that I've found to be really effective for acne-prone skin, without greasiness, is Ahava moisturizers (which can be pricey, but most of their products are worth it) which can be found here on Amazon.

A word of warning, if you use no moisturizer, you may find that the Acne Treatment system actually WORSENS your acne as your skin may end up filling your pores with oil in order to compensate for the lost moisture that comes from cleansing the face. In fact, you are better off (in my humble opinion) if you're pressed for time or lazy, skipping washing your face altogether, than washing it but skipping the other steps. You should always tone and moisturize after washing your face.

The nice part about these acne treatment systems is that once you get your acne under control, you can buy less pricey products at the drug store and get the same results. Now on a near-daily basis, I use a facial cleanser with salicylic acid (Phisoderm), a toner (Oil of Olay or Ahava), and a moisturizer (Ahava) which pretty much keeps my skin clear and I get a pimple maybe 2-3 times a year.
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2008
I bought this after reading the review by the woman in her 30's saying it didn't dry out her skin ect. For me, this product was useless in clearing up acne. I broke out the entire time I used it. The cleanser & astringent aren't enough. I used them up over a month ago & have maybe a 1/4 of the cream left. The only good thing it seemed to do was help to exfoliate my skin keeping away the dry winter flakes that are included with my acne. Crazy, but that's me. Salicylic Acid isn't rated as being too safe if you are pregnate or want to have kids... hardly Organic!! I didn't know this until after I was using it. I will finish it up so it doesn't go to waste but will not purchase in the future.
on November 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have become more aware of the "bad" ingredients in many cosmetics and skincare products and have been wondering a lot lately about how I am going to keep my skin clear without slathering it with cancer-causing agents. Then I stumbled upon this product! The box says "Get Clear Skin in 6 weeks"; however, I've only used the product for a few days and already my skin is starting to show signs of vast improvement. (I will come back and update my review if this changes.) The box comes with complete and clear instructions. The packaging and labels on the bottles are neither feminine nor masculine. It's pretty much "acceptable" for both guys and girls. The products don't have a medicine smell or any kind of floral or girly smell. The cleanser and toner are lightly scented, but it's nothing that lingers or bothers me. I can be sensitive to perfume smells due to allergies, and this doesn't affect me at all. The corrective cleanser and controling lotion bottles are labeled with expiration dates on the bottom. If you are looking to try a skin care system that's as good as, if not better in my opinion, than the "leading brands" give this a try.

Two additional notes: The lid on the toner leaks ever so slightly. Beware if you are planning on traveling with this product. Also, the bottles which contain organic product are not labeled for recycling(?).
on January 8, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone in their 40's who has suffered with acne for a good portion of their life, one learns to manage their expectations when it comes to acne products. Nature's Gate acne product is not a cure all, but it does provide an effective regimen, which is similar to ProActiv, at a fraction of the cost. While I don't believe any regimen out there is totally "chemical free", this one at least contains several natural ingredients, which aren't as harsh on your face as some of the other products I've tried. I love the fact that it does not leave my face either dry or greasy feeling. With average use, I believe the "kit" is meant to last for 3 months.

I used the product for 4 weeks, and the following are my conclusions.

1. The Corrective Cleanser has a very light feel, similar to shampoo. Initially I questioned whether it was really working, but it does. After rinsing it off, my face actually felt clean. The cleanser itself has a mild, non-lingering scent. As part of my shower routine in the morning and the evening, I also use a mild exfoliating scrub by Crabtree & Evelyn called Naturals - Solutions for Men (Daily Face Scrub). The combination works very well for me.
2. The Calming Toner removes excess oils that could block the pores. It works fairly well, has a decent scent, and did not dry out my skin, which many alcohol based toners tend to do. I just wish they gave you a larger bottle. The problem with many of these regimens is that they tend to have a "one size fits all" approach. I really respect acne regimens like AcneFree, which give you so much more for your money.
3. I really like the Corrective Lotion. My first test for it was, "does it leave my face either dry or greasy?" To be fair, I must tell you, I have oily skin. After a long stressful day, my face does not feel or look greasy. The second test was, "does the acne treating component work for me?" Well, so far so good. The lotion contains salicylic acid, which is a key ingredient in many skin-care products for the treatment of acne, psoriasis, calluses, corns, keratosis pilaris, and warts. It works by causing the cells of the epidermis to shed more readily, preventing pores from clogging up, and allowing room for new cell growth. I think it also assists in evening out your skin tone.

The long and short is that the product works pretty well for me so far. Understand, though, that everyone's skin is different, and to effectively treat acne, you must find a combination that works for you. That includes the right shampoo, conditioner, gel, face regimen, etc. I wish I would have had that advice as a teenager. I like the fact that this product is not harsh to my face and contains several natural ingredients. For $25, it's worth a try.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Since we're trying to get pregnant, my wife switched off Retin-A, internal antibiotics, and other prescription stuff that can be harmful to babies. In that vein, she had already made the decision to try a natural product when we got the opportunity to try this out.

There are a lot of good things about this product. The smell is pleasant and mild, and the product spreads over the skin quite easily. It doesn't feel harsh, nor does it leave your face feeling overdried. One of the really great things about this product is that it does not contain benzoyl peroxide: she happens to be allergic!

In terms of how effective it is, we're still only about 10 days into it, but it looks to work decently well. One thing to note (and this is true about any change in skin care) is that the transition was very hard. Switching to a new skin regimen is tough on the skin to begin with, and because those previous medications were very harsh, it amplified the effect. Plus, quite frankly, her acne was somewhat severe.

During the first week, in addition to a few big painful cystic acne blemishes that came to the surface, she developed these little tiny bumpy zits on the side of her face. These were especially distressing to her.

A week into it, the tiny zits have, for the most part, gone away. The cystic acne blemishes have retreated, for the most part. She's quite pleased with the product, and would probably buy it again!
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"Natural" does not equal healthy or good for every person because each person is different. This three step program from Nature's Gate is a great example of this fact. The program is for 6 weeks but after 4 weeks I've learned enough. Note: I used the product as directed for 2 weeks then needed to make adjustments because of reactions.

The Corrective Cleanser is ok but never feels like it truly washes away from my skin. It did seem to clear things well.

The Calming Toner never really seemed to do much and this is partly because I found the instructions unclear. How much should I put on the cotton ball? Should it leave my face wet, dry, somewhere in between? The imbalance in instructions equaled less toner than cleanser over all.

Oddly the Controling Lotion was both a positive and a negative for me. On my cheeks and forehead it worked great. Good moisture with no feeling of greasiness. But on my chin and the space between mouth and nose I saw increases in breakouts, in places I never have them. When I stopped using the lotion, the breakouts lessened but didn't completely stop.

That's a problem since this product is supposed to stop them. Clearly for my skin this is not a very good product so I will now stop using it after this review. The two stars is because I think the lotion was good for some parts of my face and over all the program was easy to follow. Your own skin will react differently.
VINE VOICEon February 26, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This worked great on my daughter's back. There was a noticable change quickly. It was gentle and effective. I would buy this product for acne.

See 1 answered question