Nature's Way Ginkgold, 100 Tablets
Size: 100Change
Price:$20.31+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 25, 2011
There are approximately 3 different Grades of Ginkgo Biloba Extract 24/6 on the Market in the United States

1st Which makes up approximately 70%-80% of the Market.
Gingkgo 24/6 that is adulterated with Rutin to raise the level to 24.
This adulteration will only show up with very intensive tests that most manufacturers
don't want to do. Probably on purpose.

2nd Ginkgo Biloba USP Grade.
This is Ginkgo Biloba that meets the USP standard.
Very difficult to detect if Adulterated.

3rd Ginkgo Biloba German Grade Pharmaceutical.
In Germany Ginkgo is prescription and the quality heavily regulated.
The standard is the highest. I believe but am not sure that it is referred to as EGb761

If you look on the packaging of Natures Way you will see that this product is made in Germany. The owner of this company is Schwabe, Schwabe has done extensive clinical testing of this Ginkgo Biloba and retrospective analysis of studies and has a patent on it.

The clinical data on efficacy of Ginkgo is sketchy, my theory is that this is because the Ginkgo used in many of the tests is not Schwabe German Pharamaceutical Grade. By the way In Germany Ginkgo is a pharmaceutical manufactured to a very high standard and one of the most popular Herbal supplements in Europe. Natures way is the same Ginkgo that researchers use in many clinical studies.

Years ago I tried a generic brand of Ginkgo and saw no effect, I tried it again recently along with Vinpocetine and my experience is below.

This is the highest quality Ginkgo you will find on the market. All Ginkgo is not equal, If you've
tried Ginkgo in the past and not seen a benefit (Like Me), unless it is Pharmaceutical German Grade such as Natures Way (Can't find on Amazon) you
should try this.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My Experience:
1st I should mention that I began taking this along with Jarrows VinpocetineJarrow Formulas Vinpocetine, 100 Capsules. Jarrows like Natures Way is a company I trust.

I began by taking 2 60mg (120mg Total)of Ginkgo and 2 5mg of Vinpocetine.
I had insomnia and headaches.

I lowered the dosage to 1 Ginko Biloba 60mg and the side effects went away. The change in my mental outlook is tremendous.
I feel much more clarity and alertness. I'm also more sociable. I do believe that it truly does increase my
short term memory and possibly even my long term memory. It also fights depression and I believe that my mood has been elevated.

I can't rate the Gingko alone because I've only tried it synergetically with Vinpocetine.
I will state that if you have headaches, try cutting the Ginkgo pill in 1/2, this is powerful Ginkgo and you may be more sensitive to these compounds.

Also that I was glad I bought the 60 mg tabs even though the recommended therapeutical dosage is 120mg
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2009
This stuff really work!
Every time i take them after a while of no taking them, I experience a huge boost in memory and brain processing power.

But there is a downside:
1) I've heard one of the side effects of using Ginkgo, reported by people and also during clinical trial, is headache! Somehow some people experience headaches. They said you should stop taking Ginkgo immediately when you experience headache.
I do get headaches after about a week or two of taking Ginkgold. Also for me I can only take once a day without having headache for a week or two. Once the headache starts I stop taking it for while.
2) I have experienced a sort of drug tolerance with Ginkgold. After two weeks I don't feel the mental sharpness anymore. I feel sort of dull! Unless I take higher dose of Ginkgold.

In general if you won't experience headache I would recommend this to anyone. If you are experiecing tolerance effects, I would recommend taking a break and start it again after a month or so.

This stuff is great for students during final weeks, or for athletes. In order for this to be effective on your important days, give it a couple days of head start.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2010
I'm not sure about this stuff. I used to take Ginkgo and have no problems. When I ran out, I got this stuff at the suggestion of the store's employee. I'm sure it does help with mental sharpness, but 2 out of 3 times using it I have experienced headaches as a side effect. Mind you, this was only from a single 60 mg tablet. I don't think I'll be using this much anymore.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2007
Paid $35 for this same item at a local health food store. First, find out for yourself about Ginkgo biloba extract; read the research closely. Then experiment on yourself. Use caution when taking ANY herbal supplement. Listen to your body, listen to the experience of others. Consider an 'on and off' schedule. Recently, I went 'off' of this pill for a couple of weeks; my wife told me to start it again after I forgot our anniversary.
on July 4, 2007
I have used other Gingko brands before; however, this one caused an annoying ringing in my ears. It took about 5 weeks for the ringing to subside. This is somewhat ironic given that Ginko is sometimes used to treat Tinnitus.

This could be simply an odd reaction that my body had to the herb. Just wanted to share this side effect.
on August 19, 2011
As always, my little memory pills came in, neatly packaged and ready to be placed on the medicine shelf. Four days isn't too long to wait, as long as you haven't let yourself run short .... you definitely don't want to run out. "More for your money" describes this purchase from Amazon, and purchase in multiple quantities to save even more money. I am well pleased with this product; have been using it for several years and will continue.
on April 24, 2013
This stuff actually works for me for improving cognitive function. Based on that, I would give it five stars. However, I experienced rather severe heart arrhythmias after using it for about a month. Some online research quickly showed that others have had this experience, frequently ending up going to the ER because of the concern. I actually considered going, myself, which is noteworthy because I've had arrythmia issues for a long time and am really used to it; for it to have been bad enough that I even thought about getting evaluated is significant.

The arrythmias subside within a few days of discontinuing. If you think your heart is acting weird, you need to stop taking this immediately and consult with your doctor to be on the safe side. I have since found that I can take it for a week at a time without ill effect, so am now doing that once a month. Just because that seems to be safe for me doesn't mean it will be safe for anyone else. I offer the strategy not as a recommendation but as an idea to discuss with your doctor.
on August 29, 2008
I have been looking for this type of supplement that would be easy to swallow. Many I tried were huge pills, and often caused lingering pain in the esophagus. This one is small, coated and goes down easily. Five stars!
on April 18, 2009
Product is excellent.However, I can purchase the same item locally at a Health Food store for LESS money! How about that? Why? Because of the extremely unfair shipping costs!! Won't be back!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Have been taking and recommending for years. If you take ginkgo, take Ginkgold; like in Olympics, go for the gold.

It is cheaper to buy from Amazon now than other online vitamin retailers--I used to buy from them for years--until I "discovered" that it could be had on Amazon cheaper.

Some studies show that Ginkgo helps in stroke, others that it could lead to stroke. It definitely has an effect on brain circulation. I regret not having continued giving it to my elderly mother--I gave to her, she said her head felt different--not uncomfortable, but strange--not like her own--and I got scared and discontinued it. But those days, she was very sharp--even the caretaker noticed a difference.

I asked my mother's doctor about taking ginkgo, but he refused to render an opinion; I showed him the research. My mother died of stroke and related complications at 93--could ginkgo have prevented a stroke or ameliorated the effects of stroke? Don't know.

I take it everyday--only one pill. My uncle, who had a stroke and had speech deficit, took 4 pills a day, and partially recovered.

Definitely does something.