Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 11, 2012
The Viz's "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind Box Set" is just about perfect and everything that a manga edition should aspire to be. I've decided to upload a series of photos so you can appreciate for yourself what a treat this edition is. The package consists of 2 large hardcovers books inside a beutiful and strong slipcase, including a small color poster. Nausicaä was previously published in 7 softcover volumes and is now collected in full in this 2 HC books. So for all of that, the $60 price tag (much less with Amazon discount), is an unbeatable value.

Both story and art is by Hayao Miyazaki, that's right, HAYAO MIYAZAKI: the man who co-founded the internationally acclaimed Studio Ghibli, one of the greatest genius of animation this world have ever seen. The art is simply amazing, the storytelling is brilliant, the pages are full of life and detail and magic.

* * * * * These are the highlights of the edition * * * * *

- The format is over-sized (like Akira's volumes), with a trim-size much larger than the one we are used to for mangas: the books are 10,4 by 7,3 inches. This gives you a much better appreciation of the art, and that's exactly what you want, being Miyazaki's pages so full of detail and wonder.

- Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!

- Both books are hardcovers with sewn-binding, which allows for a very comfortable reading experience. It's a real pleasure to be able to enjoy a manga in HC format, as opossed as softcovers, it feels like a real luxury.

- The printing quality is excellent, with sharp line-art and a delicate sepia tone ink.

- The paper quality is beautiful and very apt for the reproduction of art. The paper stock is NOT glossy; it's traditional manga paper stock, but it isn't flimsy or cheap at all. It's really nice and proper for the edition.

- Each volume includes 8 pages in color at the beginning of the book. This pages are printed in glossy paper stock and the art reproduction is beautiful, with vivid colors and outstanding detail.

- The slipcase is very solid and well-build, and the books fit perfectly inside of it.

- The box set also includes a small two-sided color poster (16,5 x 11,7 inches), which is a very nice adition to the package.

- The reading order is from right to left, respecting the original page layout.

In conclusion, the Nausicaä deluxe box set is the best edition of a manga I've ever seen. I really hope Viz and other publishers release critically acclaimed titles like Akira or Vagabond in deluxe editions just like this one.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1616 comments|235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2012
Just as I point newcomers to "Grave of the Fireflies" as a seminal example of good anime (as opposed to the stereotypes between Pokemon and Dragonball), I would say Nausicaa is the one manga any newcomer to the medium should read. Well, or just anyone who appreciates imagery and text. This series contains great textual content as well as highly detailed drawing; there's nothing cartoonish or comic about it.

Make no mistake: The story of Nausicaa has an epic scope. It's highly complex and not appropriate for children unless they can grasp the finer points and are able to comprehend its darker tones, since this is a complete story from beginning to end that requires good memory.

It features several major cultures involved with their own civil unrest and break-off groups, ruthless war and its effects on civilians, life and death, military maneuvering, political intrigue, enemies who are not merely enemies, religious oppression, post-apocalypse, a bit of science fiction, and at the core--one of Miyazaki's favorite topics--environmentalism. All of this is given life and meshed together into a grimy mess of opposing yet sympathetic human characterizations.

While the series does feature one of my less favorite tropes ("the chosen one" hero), it's spun in that our main character is a girl capable of many things from the very onset. For a series written in the '80s to early '90s, that's rather interesting. She's no Disney princess.

In terms of art, the air battles and action scenes are convincing with great perspective, and the entire setting (backgrounds, from ground cover to smoky skies) is tremendously detailed to add depth and a solidly immersive look. Much of the sketchy detailing has to do with Miyazaki using pencil instead of pen inking. The world of Nausicaa is quite alive on the pages.

I wish I could say something about the quality of translation, which can be hit or miss in so much imported media, but I'm not fluent in Japanese to make an assessment. It does read well, though ("There's not much difference between being at the mercy of desire and being a prisoner of hate"). The cast is strong, both male and female of different ages, and spans vast geographical territories, so this should appeal to many readers.

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but if there was only one manga (series) I could make people read, it would be Nausicaa.

P.S.: Anyone who has seen Studio Ghibli's other works will recognize quite a few elements.
on November 6, 2012
This impressive deluxe hardcover collection features the complete "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" ('Kaze no Tani no Naushika') epic illustrated by internationally acclaimed film director and animator Hayao Miyazaki.

It features a slipcase box with 2 mammoth-sized hardcover tomes that collects the entire run (vols. 1-7). The pages are impressive as the illustrations are presented in sepia-toned hues, presenting to readers the story as how it originally appeared when it first came out. There are a few colored pages, and an exclusive 2-sided fold-out full-color poster.

The packaging of this collection is much similar to DC Comics' Absolute Edition books (e.g.,Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween). Kudos to Viz Media for publishing this magnificent collection in this deluxe format!

For die-hard manga fans and for casual readers who enjoy good ol' classic adventure epics, this collection is highly recommended. Well worth the price!
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
This set is absolutely perfect. I fell in love with Nausicaa after watching the movie a few years ago, and it quickly became my favorite movie of all time. I just knew I had to read the manga (my first ever!), and luckily I found this boxed set. The artwork is stunning as to be expected of Miyazaki work. The story touches you in places you didn't know existed. Nausicaa is beautiful, strong, caring, and brave. The perfect heroine. I highly recommend this to any manga fan, miyazaki fan, nausicaa fan, ghibli fan, or just to anyone looking to experience an amazing story.
on January 16, 2015
This series is amazing, if you haven't read it you're missing out on what can only be described as a work of genus. It was first published in 1984, and I've reread it several times since. I purchased this box set for my son. A Japanese newspaper in the 1980s conducted a poll to determine who was the most admired person in history (real or fictional). The newspaper was stunned that Nausicca, a minor character in the Iliad was among the top three persons named. It was subsequently discovered by the newspaper that the character identified was Hayao Miyazaki's princess not Homers. When I went on the internet in the 1980's there were over 14,000 Nausicca fan sites. I am 70 years old now, and plan to read the series yet again. This box set is beautifully done, and approximates the original size of the first publication of the series.
on August 25, 2013
Mind-blowingly amazing. A phrase I rarely use for anything! As a fan of Nausicaa the movie I had to read the manga and I must say the manga blows the movie out of the water!

And it's because in the manga, the world of Nausicaa, from the Sea of Corruption to the kingdom of Torumekia, is much more fleshed out. Kushana, for intance, was decidedly more evil in the movie, but in the manga, she truly achieves the moral ambiguity that Miyazaki-san was going for.

The artwork is beautiful and the story is full of surprises, even if you've seen the movie! Though I must warn you now that Nausicaa isn't a kid's comic. There's plenty of violence, complete with blood. There's also moderate profanity and a few panels worth of "Barbie doll" nudity.

Before this review gets any longer, in short, Nausicaa is an excellent, thought-provoking sci-fi adventure. If you love anime and manga and if you love a well-crafted story, Nausicaa may just be the book for you.
on June 14, 2013
If you are like me, and just keep going back and looking at this set with shiny, greedy eyes but aren't sure if you want to take that plunge and just get it over with, let me give you some advice.
GET IT NOW.
I almost missed my oppurtunity to get it (for less than a hundred+ smackaroos) And as soon as I thought I had, I realized how much I needed to have it. NEEDED.
It's worth every penny, cheaper than getting the individual books, binding is great, poster is great, box is fantastic protection against the humidity without adding more space on your shelf, and it just LOOKS fantastic on your shelf.
Get it. Get it now. You'll be glad you did.
on December 12, 2012
The Nausicaä is easily one of the best manga I've ever read. It's full of fantastic artwork and amazing characters with a great setting and engaging plot.

This release is also exceptional in it's quality, two wonderfully bound hardcover novels in a box. They're heavy and large in size making it extremely easy to read and enjoy. The paper used is quite nice and there are even some maps and full colour images. They even have an appendix featuring multiple pages of sound effect translations. Children will also appreciate the nice poster that it comes with.

If you're a fan of Hayao Miyazaki this a must have!
on August 3, 2015
This is the best story I've ever come across. When I was 10 or 11, I fell in love with the film, and a few years later I read the manga. Its so good. It has its moments where it could be better, but so does everything, and without those moments this would be missing just so much. Nausicaa is my favorite work, just, ever, and I don't understand anyone who says its poorly done. I'm not one to push things onto other people, but boy does everyone have to read this. Those who don't are really missing out on something, and its just such a shame it didn't become more popular than it did. The setting is great, science fantasy like you've NEVER seen, and amazing characters. If even one of them was removed from the pages, the story would be different. On top of being the best ever, this box set is gorgeous. It looks great on my shelf, and I love the new hardcover edition. I own this, plus the original volumes, and can't get over how good it is. I'm a writer myself, and I try to model almost everything after Miyazaki, and on top of that after this story. Big cool looking knights, beaked helmeted soldiers with bolt action rifles, and dumb giant insects are all worth anyones money. Miyazaki was just... nuts and its a pity that he retired, but I suppose he was old. He wrote everything and drew everything, and I've never disliked one of his works. Nausicaa is just above and beyond. If you love the original series and are looking to buy this just because you can't get over how good it is, do it. If you like the film, but want to read these, you NEED to read these. I love the film, don't get me wrong, but BOY is the manga so much better. If you've never come across this series, and just found yourself here, do yourself a favor. Pick it up. I could not recommend it more. When people ask me for a good story to enjoy, I point at Nausicaa.
on December 27, 2012
The art of Nausicaa is something that Hayao Miyazaki apologizes for, yet it's beautiful and organic and pencil like. It evokes the feelings of a world that's a little rough around the edges and fits the wonderful story being told. But if you're buying this box set you've probably already read the manga.

Simply put, this is the nicest printing of this product I've ever seen. The box set is well constructed and sturdy, and will stand up to reading over and over again through the years. If you love Nausicaa, this is the definitive version to own.