5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Nice Quality
I bought this belt to replace a Wal-Mart $12 belt that was coming apart. This belt is noticeably nicer quality and the buckle does not rattle as much as the other one, but still rattles some. I had a nice belt from Men's Warehouse that lasted me years, and I would say the quality of this belt is comparable to that one.

The brown is a little lighter than I...
Published on March 20, 2010 by J. Marble

1.0 out of 5 stars Great looking belt, but it lasts 5 months
Published on March 28, 2012 by Roberto

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Nice Quality, March 20, 2010
This review is from: Nautica Men's 35MM Saddle-Leather Reversible Belt (Apparel)

The brown is a little lighter than I wanted, but still nice. I think it's lighter than the picture makes it look. Most reversible belts have the buckle screws and the imprinting on the brown side, but this one has it on the black side. But really it makes no difference since the belt covers it. The buckle finish looks very nice (my favorite part of the belt) and it doesn't look like it will peel or flake. The belt material itself is soft but firm. The picture looks like the brown side might be a course leather, but it's very smooth and the stitching is not very thick.

I bought the 38" and the length of this belt is about the same as the 38" Wal-Mart belt, if you are looking for comparison. I am about a 34" waist and the 38" belt wraps maybe 20% around my waist past the buckle, which is perfect for me.

Update March 7, 2011: I have been wearing this belt nearly every day for a year now, utilizing both sides. I think it still looks as good as the day it arrived. The leather looks perfect. The buckle finish is great. The mechanics are flawless. Seriously, I'm amazed at the durability of this belt. The buckle has not shown any signs of breakdown due to reversing it. I have had belts in the past where the buckle has come loose from the belt due to the pressure involved in reversing it, but this belt has no such issue. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, but it doesn't seem like it will ever wear out.

Update March 14, 2012: It has now been two years of constant use for this belt, and it's still holding up rather well. Fortunately I haven't changed waist sizes in the last two years, but that means the belt has been using the same belt hole and bend points for two years. It is finally wearing out a bit at the seams at the bend point. The belt hole is slightly larger than the others now, but still looks to be in good condition. The buckle itself is still in very good condition. It's not quite as shiny as it once was, but it still looks quite nice. The mechanical function of the belt is still as solid as it was new. The connection from the buckle to the belt is very strong. It reverses smoothly and snaps back with a good force.

I have not experienced the flaking or other issues that some have noted. I'm not sure if expectations were too high or there are just some bad batches, but I think the quality and finish of this belt is excellent given the price. I will agree that the belt is fairly rigid when new, but it has not caused me any problem. Also, if you are looking for a formal dress belt, do not buy this. I think it is nice looking and goes with anything from jean shorts and a t-shirt up to khakis and a button shirt, but it's not truly formal. I like the versatility in dress though.

Update January 14, 2013: I wore this belt nearly daily for almost 3 years, but I have now replaced it. It still was functioning the same as it had been for months. Everything still works fine, but the belt had separated at the edge seam right around the bend point where it hits the buckle. I had noted in my previous update that it was wearing out at that point, and that wear turned into separation. The buckle still reverses flawlessly. The finish on the belt still looks about the same. I am impressed it made it this long, really. But I was tired of it looking a little ragged and coming apart, so I decided to go ahead and retire it.

I had planned on just buying another, but I figured there's no reason to be married to a particular belt if there was a better option, so I went ahead and did my Amazon research like for any other purchase. I ended up buying the Levi's Reversible Belt. After reading the reviews and looking at the style, I thought I would give it a try for comparison. I like it very much, and I like its style a bit better than this belt, even. So if you're shopping around you might consider it as well, but don't let me keep you from buying this belt because it served me well for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Constructed, January 2, 2011
So tired of buying reversible belts that split between the brown and black parts... this belt hasn't done this... very nice belt!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great looking belt, but it lasts 5 months, March 28, 2012
Roberto (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought this belt because it had positive reviews and looked quite nice on the website. It turns out that this was certainly one of my nicer-looking belts once it arrived, so I was quite happy. Unfortunately, however, the belt lasted just 5 months before showing very noticeable peeling of the outside leather coating. Please note that this belt is not constructed from a single piece of leather, but rather a piece of leather with a paint-like leather layer on the brown side. This means it is not built to last. I highly recommend buying another belt if you would like it to last more than 5 months. I'm very disappointed with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking belt, a little thick, learning colors are hard to judge..., April 17, 2011
I'm holding the belt I received right here next to my non-calibrated LCD monitor at work, with the same impression that I had at home: the belt I received is darker that what's pictured, and has a purple hue to it (my wife came to a similar conclusion, saying "a bit of blue").

I also can't help but notice that the light-colored stitching in the Amazon photo is dark on the actual belt. Not black, mind you, just a dark brown punctuated by black stitching holes.

I was really hoping that this belt was true to what I see on my monitors, or even a touch lighter as one of the reviewers noted (though, in fairness, another reviewer said "darker!"). I suspect both could be correct, and there's just some color natural variations over successive production runs.

Between this and a recent jacket purchase on Amazon, I'm learning my lesson that I need to see these colors in person to judge accurately (in my defense, that supposedly blue coat I ordered was most definitely grey!!).

The belt is a bit more than 1/8" thick, and though it appears supple in the tightly wrapped coil as pictured, it actually quite rigid and even springy when squeezed while wrapped into a more typical 6" coil. The edges are completely black, with the exception of the brown stitches being slightly proud of the brown face and therefore being visible when viewed from the side, and the black side is entirely without visible stitching. The buckle is of good but not great weight (I've seen better, I've seen worse), and the "keeper loop" that the free end of the belt is tucked into is just a tiny bit thin with a bit of a sharp interior edge to it (that could eventually scrape the finish of the belt).

If I was purchasing this belt to wear with jeans or casual clothes, I'd probably keep it. But trying to match the hue of a pair of shoes I wear to work, I'm afraid, missed the mark by a good amount -- probably due as much to the color accuracy of my monitor as anything else. I hope Amazon doesn't think I'm abusing their return policy! I'm going to have to go pay extra at the store for this purchase, just to ensure I get the color I want.

...and just a quick that my 3-star rating is not based on the color disparity, but on my impressions of the overall quality of the belt & buckle compared to other belts I own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rigid, February 27, 2011
Sean Lancaster (east grand rapids, mi United States) - See all my reviews
I was hoping this would be a much softer leather. It's not. This is a very rigid belt with not a lot of flexibility. The photo makes it look like this belt bends easily; it doesn't. If you like a more sturdy belt then this might be really nice.

i also think the sizing is a bit off. I would rather have gone with a smaller size and used one of the last 2 holes instead of my size belt on the 4th hole.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, but not meant for day to day wear, April 21, 2013
BANZ111 (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
I purchased this belt to wear at work at the office a few months back, and now it is showing visible cracking and wear on the brown side. I don't recommend buying it if you intend to wear it on a daily basis.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Belt Started to Tear when Reversed to Black, May 24, 2011
Linda M. (Orange Walk Town, Belize) - See all my reviews
I was not pleased with this belt. I bought it for my husband since he wanted both a black and a brown belt in one, and when he reversed it to the black color the material started to open up on the edges on his second use. I was disappointed and so was he. I was really hoping this was a nice product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke Within 2 Months, July 6, 2012
Such a disappointing buy. Around the third time I wore it the coloring began to strip away, especially on the brown side. Then, just a few days ago the entire head of the belt broke off. Do not buy this belt.

2.0 out of 5 stars it is not a good one, January 10, 2012
i dislike this belt for 2 reasons.

first it is too rigid to wear, i feel it not easy to wear it.

second it is a little short for me.

so i dont think it is worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars i didnt like it., October 27, 2011
The belt is very thick, I do not find a good quality and the material is too rigid. The only that i liked its the colors.

Nautica Men's 35MM Saddle-Leather Reversible Belt