5.0 out of 5 stars My best fitness friend.
I am reviewing this bike from the perspective of someone who is about 100 pounds overweight, 5'4", and 55 years of age. I also have lower spinal problems which might require surgery, so I'm using this bike for weight loss, as well as general strengthening my back and improving my fitness level. I've lost 125 pounds in the last few years, partly by using a recumbent bike...
Published on December 16, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Customer Service, Missing Parts
Overall, this seems like a decent, if not spectacular product. I'd rate it 4 stars on quality of build, 3 stars on product design, and 2 stars on quality control (for missing/not working parts).

The pros:

- Seems very solidly built--nothing flimsy about it
- EXTREMELY quiet...no kidding, you could ride the thing with someone sleeping in the...
Published on October 30, 2010 by A. Cobb

‹ Previous | 16 7 816 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Period., February 28, 2013
twin mom (Aurora, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I got a gym membership last year but I noticed I only liked to ride the recumbent bike. This year I decided to save myself some gas and just buy a recumbent bike instead of getting a gym membership. I ride this bike about 4-5 times a week for 50 minutes at a time. The seat is a little big for a lady but my husband likes the size. The seat is difficult for me to adjust but not an issue for my husband. I like the rolling hills and the tension is really great and smooth. The fan is also a nice addition (not available at the gym!). Very good quality. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars R514 Recumbent Bike, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I have been using this bike for about a month now. I love it so far. I love the heart monitor option. You put in you personal information, tell it how long you want to exercise and it sets the resistance to get you to the heart rate you should be at. My only complaint is on the seat. It is not as comfortable as some seats and it is hard to adjust for multiple riders. It was pretty easy to put together. At this point if I needed another bike I would buy another one like this. Hopefully I won't need to buy one for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than hitting the gym, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I used to hit the gym and hit the recumbent bike, weights an steam room. Buying this bike when it was a deal of the day allowed me to save quite a bit of cash. I'll use the this daily, use my own weights and enjoy a steam shower all while saving money after the first six months. Make that three months, since hubby will be using it as well now.

The assembly manual could have been a bit clearer, but all in all, once we revisited the instructions, checked the positioning and placement of parts we got it done an it is sturdy. Considering hubby is not a handy kind of guy, this was fairly easy to assemble for the average user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and price, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
This equipment works great. Lots of adjustability and very comfortable to use. Keep in shape throughout the winter months inside your home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I would have given it 5 stars but it arreived broken and while I called tach support and they were helpful as it was a known issue (you think they would fix the bike so this did not happen) taking apart the front wheel was a pain and the tiny groment that held the arm on was missing so the arm fell off. I had to jury rig the fix which has worked fine but again since this is a known issue why don't they fix it so it doesn't happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nautilus Recumbent Bike, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I am a large person at 6'6" and 272 lbs. I use it daily, this bike is rock solid. I would recommend this, without hesitation, to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZON IS GREAT AND SO IS NATAULIS, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I WOULD HAVE GIVEN THIS RE REVIEW A 5 IF THE FIRST BIKE HAD COME IN DAMAGED. WHEN WE RECEIVED THE FIRST BIKE THE PEDDLES WOULD NOT ROTATE. AFTER READING SOME OF THE REVIEWS AND COMMENTS OF OTHERS. I DECIDED NOT TO TRY TO HAVE NAUTILUS COME OUT AND REPAIR. I NOTIFIED AMAZON THAT THE FIRST ONE CAME IN DAMAGED AND I WOULD NEED TO SEND IT BACK AND HAVE ANOTHER SENT. AMAZON SENT UPS OUT TO PICK THE BROKEN ONE AND THEY PAID FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING. A WEEK LATER I HAD A SECOND ONE AND THIS ONE WORKS GREAT. IT IS EVERYTHING THAT WE WANTED IN A BIKE TO HELP RECOVER FROM FEMUR SURGERY. THE BIKE DESERVES A 5 EXCEPT IT NEEDS A LITTLE BETTER SHIPPING BOX. A NOTE TO OTHERS IT THE PEDDLES DON'T MOVE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS WHEN YOU FIRST REMOVE IT FROM THE BOX DON'T BOTHER TO ASSEMBLE. IF IT IS AMAZON JUST SENT IT BACK AND ASK FOR ANOTHER.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for the price, November 17, 2012
T. Lewis (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I purchased this bike over a year ago and I love it. The heart monitor it comes with works great and I'm able to exercise and watch TV or play video games without a problem. The programs are good and it has modes for adjusting the intensity to your target heart rate which is fantastic.

I received the bike disassembled in a large extremely heavy box. Once I helped the UPS guy get it up my stairs I began the assembly process. I am a directions follower and I had no problems with the assembly. Even though it is best to have two people to assemble this, I was able to assemble this by myself, against direction reccomendations. The box comes with all of the tools you need although I used my own tools as they were easier to use than the combo wrench screwdriver and tiny hex wrenches (think Ikea) they include with the bike. Assembling by myself required some balancing and props to keep things oriented while I assembled the parts but a couple of hours and few glasses of wine later I had a fully working bike.

I am a pretty big guy (6' 220+lbs) and for a person my size it worked well. Just know that if you're a big guy like me the seat will rock a little bit and squeak when you're pedaling with a lot of resistance unless you have good circular form.

The pedals and crank on this bike are pretty standard, so if you want to replace the pedals with the clipless type it should work.

Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle Cycling Shimano SPD Shoes + Pedals & Cleats 44

My bike has a bug where if you reduce the tension to the lowest setting and quit your exercise program it will move the tension back and forth indefinitely trying to get the tensioner to it's "home" position. The solution is simply to set the difficulty level to something other than the lowest before quitting. You'll know this is happening because there will be a soft periodic whirring sound coming from the bike. I don't know if this is a common issue or just a misalignment of a sensor on my bike but it's something to look out for. I never bothered to call their customer service about it because once I figured the problem out I didn't mind the solution.

Note that since I started attending spin class regularly at my gym I've stopped using this bike. It's hard to get as intense of a workout on this bike but it is still a great rainy day exercise machine to get my heart rate up and break a sweat in the privacy of my own home while watching netflix. If you're an avid spinner or you do spin class regularly and frequently crank down hard on the tensioner don't expect to get an intense workout on this bike.

I'm pretty happy with this product. I've taken one star off for the shutdown bug, but otherwise it's been really good for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware Amazon Shipping., October 22, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
My r514 box arrived in pretty beat-up shape, however the components inside all seemed fine so I didn't file a claim with Amazon. BUT when I put the bike together I was unable to pedal it; the flywheel had locked up. After a 20-minute wait on the phone with Nautilus customer service, I was told that this is a common issue with these bikes purchased through amazon. The flywheel will lock up if the package is not handled with care.
I'm currently waiting (approx 1 week) for them to send me a "Crank-puller" tool so I can fix the flywheel. If this doesn't solve the problem I'm going to be Angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm Angry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a good bike but very poor service and support, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus R514 Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
Spent about 3 hours to assemble the bike but it did not work. Called Nautilus for help. They send a new part and arranged for a service person to fix the bike. Had to take a day off to wait for the repairmen. However, the part was not right. Waited another two weeks. Had to take another half a day off to wait for the repairman. However, the part was again not the correct part. The condition of the bike and the service from Nautilus were very poor. Returning the bike but disappointed with wasting so much of my time on this bike.

‹ Previous | 16 7 816 | Next ›