5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup / use, sturdy, would recommend
I've added customer pictures that go along with this review, from opening the box, to completely assembled.

Tips for assembly:
Published on November 12, 2010 by Frances R. Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars A fitness center favorite comes to the home
Published on November 9, 2009 by Derek G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A fitness center favorite comes to the home, November 9, 2009
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To start, I echo another reviewer in saying that my treadmill was received in bad shape as the base frame and wheels had burst completely through the bottom of the cardboard box. I also discovered evidence of discoloration on the plastic side panels that are attached to the control panel. My best guess is it was subjected to a lot of weight being stacked on it as it traveled first by airline and then delivered by semi truck via a freight company. There was no use blaming either company as they would just deny everything but considering two of three reviewers report delivery problems, this suggests Nautilus may have a problem with their packaging. (My money's on the airline trashing it). Fortunately, aside from some scuffs and a little pressure discoloration on the side panels, the treadmill seems okay.

Assembly is quite easy but because the product is heavy you will likely need assistance. You simply lift the pre-assembled control panel straight up and screw in a nut and bolt on each side with the provided hardware. After that, bend the handlegrips toward you and screw them in. Finally, attach the two side panels to each side of the control panel and you're ready to go. I found the left side was easy to screw everything into while the right side of the machine I wasn't able to screw in the parts without a lot of exertion. I most likely stripped some threads to get the screws tightened in so I wonder if there may be some quality issues in the manufacturing process. Perhaps it was the first day on the job for one of the people drilling holes in the frame. I also found that the wheels didn't roll but that may have been due to the delivery problems.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before assembly be sure you place the box in the room you ultimately wish to use your treadmill in. Even when folded up, the machine is 32 inches wide; larger than many doorways.

This treadmill is my first but I have used many others at membership gyms and at friends' houses. Comparing this treadmill to others, the first thing that comes to mind is, at a whopping 72 inches in length with 54 inches of space to walk or run on, this treadmill is much longer than the residential treadmills I usually see. The second thing I noticed was I was scared to death of pulling this 200+ lb machine around with the bed tilted up. I later figured out they have a tiny shock absorber to help slow things down when you're bringing the treadmill bed back down to the floor. Even with the shock absorber, don't let go of the bed as it's dropping as it will still hit the floor with a loud thunk (and may even put a hole in it.) I wish there was a way to put a pin between the bed and base for added safety while moving it. If you wish to store the machine you will need a space that is 37"L x 32"W x 66"H.

I knocked off a star because Nautilus gives you only five feet of electric cord for a three foot wide machine. The plug is located almost on the right edge of the machine, meaning if your electric plugs are located to the left, you must place the treadmill within two feet of the electric plug. To make matters worse, the instructions specifically say you can't use an extension cord or surge protector. Nautilus needs to give residential customers a longer cord. I also found it odd that we have to go to the front of the machine, to a spot next to where the electric cord plugs in, to turn the machine on and off. There is no power button on the control panel and it doesn't appear to shut down during inactivity. Both of those should be fixed to make the treadmill more energy efficient. I was also upset to read that Nautilus wants us to lubricate the machine with 100% silicone lubricant before use. If this is as important as the instruction book indicates, then a small amount should be provided as most households don't have this lying around (WD-40 isn't an acceptable substitute). In fact, the only thing I could find at a large hardware chain was a can of Dupont Teflon/Silicone lubricant. Fortunately, a call to Nautilus confirmed this was okay to use. I still needed some direction on how much to use as the instructions were sparse. According to customer service at Nautilus, we should spray a line across the underside of the belt, roll the belt halfway around manually, then do it again. Until Nautilus starts providing lubricant with this treadmill, I suggest including LifeSpan Fitness 100% Silicone Treadmill Belt Lubricant in your order.

In comparison to other treadmills, there is none of the belt slippage as you run or walk in forward motion. In fact, this is the only treadmill I have used that doesn't have this annoying problem. The motor is quite powerful and fast too. The display shows you the time you have been running, the distance (in km or mph) you ran, and the estimated calories you have burned (always so little!) My favorite display flips between the mph you are running and how long it will take you to run a full mile. Unless you can run a mile in less than five minutes I see little reason to upgrade to the more expensive T516. This bed is rated to support 350 lbs of weight, and given the strength of the frame I think the number is conservative, so it should be able to hold everyone except South Carolinians. I found the walking belt to be centered perfectly but you can adjust the tension or move the belt to the left or right using an included hex key. I did find a problem with the plastic rails on each side of the bed. Nautilus wants us to stand on these when we start the treadmill, however I notice noise coming from them as if they are scraping the belt or bed. The noise stops once we move from the rails on to the walking belt itself.

Workouts consist of either manual or pre-programmed workout modes (i.e. climbing a hill, fast and slow intervals, a heart rate control program, or a custom value for time, speed, and incline that you can program yourself.) The T516 model gives you an extra of each of these programs (three instead of two.) The program features are all nice, but frankly I enjoy the manual mode the best because we have the incline level adjustment (0-12 degrees) using an up/down switch on the left handlebar and the speed control (0-12mph) using a switch on the right handlebar. The grips also include a metal heart rate monitor but I'm knocking off a star because I didn't find these to be very accurate; either that or my heart rate instantly jumps from 85 to 120 then back again. I think it's important people know their heart-rate accurately or they could easily over-exert themselves on a treadmill this powerful. The Polar brand chest strap heart rate monitor seems accurate and it works as long as you wet the electrodes first and strap it to your bare skin. Because of the yuck factor of the entire family using, and sweating on one Polar monitor, it could be a nice feature to include one or two more to make the treadmill more family friendly.

Customer service at Nautilus was very responsive and Courtney in particular was very friendly in spite of being bombarded with my questions. The so-called 10 year warranty is a little disingenuous because items defined as wear items (grips, foam, rubber, and plastic parts) have only a 90-day warranty and the belt has only a year warranty. In my opinion, anyone dropping this kind of money on a treadmill should have at least a one year on everything. Still, even the sweatiest of South Carolinians shouldn't be able to wear through the foam handlegrips. Maybe.

As I was reviewing everything, I couldn't help but think that this was a gymnasium strength treadmill that Nautilus suddenly decided to offer to residents without taking into consideration the special needs residential users have. Considering Nautilus also owns the famous Bowflex home gyms it seems odd that they haven't thought things through a little more. I'd like to give them high marks for the machine's strength, steel frame, and overall toughness but the little things like the power cord, the side rails, the metal heart rate monitors, and the disingenuous warranty make me hesitate a little. Above all, the treadmill packaging must be upgraded so it's idiot proof or Nautilus will be fielding a lot of calls from upset customers. I give them a solid three stars.

Hope the review helped.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible customer service! Awful warranty!, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
I'm very disappointed in this product and want to warn people about purchasing it. I realize the price point is good for many people but I want to want others about the horrendous customer service and short warranty offered by the maker, Nautilus. The product has a three month warranty on everything but the frame, which is a year. But here is where the customer service really is shameful == when you call the office, they charge you $169.00 plus tax to have a Nautilus technician come out to service your machine. You pay that no matter what is wrong with the machine. And, if the machine requires parts that ARE under warranty, you have to pay AGAIN for the technician to come out and install the parts. That is almost $400.00 for something that is covered under warranty. Also, the wait time to hear back from a technician is 5-7 business days. I just talked to Chris who is a supervisor (ext 5022). He told me there is nothing he is willing to do to help me. I would encourage all of you to stay from this product and this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor -- Buyer beware, terrible packaging, terrible customer service, the worst warranty in class, December 31, 2009
Indy_User (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
Buyer beware! Received at a gift. Opened the box and console trim covers gouged the running/walking belt in several places. It was not dented on the outside of the box, rather, Nautilus simply does not package the treadmill appropriately. The box was not reinforced on the edges or corners. So I called Nautilus customer service to give them a chance to make it right, two phone calls over two days and about two hours of wasted time later, they will not make it right. The Nautilus customer service rep at first appeared to be helpful after waiting on hold 45 minutes to get to one, but after further discussions, pushed the problem back to me. They denied any responsibility for packaging the item inappropriately and actually forced me back to the retailer to resolve the problem. I offered pictures but they were not interested. Neither the retailer or shipping company is responsible for damage from poor packaging...the responsibility is with the manufacturer! Nautilus who also makes Bowflex and Schwinn pushed me back to the retailer so it will be returned although all the wasted time receiving it, opening, waiting on the phone for Nautilus, talking to Nautilus, waiting again, talking and now I still have to ship it back....its all time that I'll never get back.

Besides the poor packing, the warranty is very poor, the belt is only guaranteed for 90 days and labor 6 months or less, after 6 months all labor is on the buyer. If you dont have a local Nautilus service repairman you will be charged a trip surcharge to get one to come to you. Every other treadmill in this price bracket and many less expensive treadmills have a much better warranty. Sole, Smooth Fitness, True Fitness, Epic, Life Fitness, Precor, all the Icon Fitness brands, and many more all have at least one year on everything including labor, and some lifetime frame/motor, 5yrs+ yrs on all parts.

Nautilus also owns Bowflex, Schwinn Fitness, Stairmaster, and Universal. At this point I would not take an item from any of these brands even if it was free. They are not the same company today that built the name. Now they are just building products to improve their bottom line for the current financial quarter to stay afloat (stock symbol NTL).

Nautilus probably saved 50 cents or $1 on packaging that would have likely prevented this problem, and suprisingly would not work with me, what a great company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup / use, sturdy, would recommend, November 12, 2010

Tips for assembly:
1. Be sure and have the location where you want to treadmill to go ready. The manual suggests using a rubber mat underneath to prevent electrostatic and also to protect flooring. I purchased the Treatmat by Super Mats on Amazon and it fits perfect.
2. If possible, have the carrier bring it into your home very close to where you want it placed. The treadmill is packed very well in the box, so it takes quite a bit of time just getting the box open (cutting the sides, removing plastic/Styrofoam).
3. There are 5 simple steps to assemble the treadmill, I accomplished them on my own. The rails simply fold out and then you put in some screws and get the display all set up.
4. After assembly, I folded the machine and rolled it off the box, moved all the materials, swept up a bit and then rolled it back onto the mat. It was difficult getting the wheels to roll, they were in the grooves of the box pretty well, and then the treadmill was so heavy that it didn't easily get up on the mat. With careful maneuvering of the stability bar at the end/underside of the treadmill, I was able to move this 250 treadmill with ease. It is actually very easy to move on flat surfaces, it was the transition from box to mat that was a little troublesome/ The folding mechanism is excellent, you lift the end of the machine up (you need a moderate amount of muscle to do that) and then it locks in place. The unlocking is easy and it lowers hydraulically, which means it goes very slow, but keep a hand on it just in case.
6. I purchased the LifeSpan 100% Silicone lubricant on advise of other reviewers and the manual reiterated that, so after checking belt alignment (it was fine), I lubed it up. It wasn't very easy because the spray is a pump, however the manual did not recommend aerosols because of the additives. The manual states that it was lubricated at production, but that it does dry out over time and it would be best to lubricate before using it. (I recommend watching a YouTube video for an idea of how to do this)

Other notes:
- Total one-person assembly time (including lubrication): 1 1/2 hours
- The frame feels very sturdy, does not move when I get on or off the machine.
- Display is fine, but the beeping with every button touch AND minute marker is a little annoying. I will be researching if there is a way to turn that off.
- This is my day-of review, I will update after a few weeks of using it.
- I find the power switch at the back of the machine handy because I have two nosy toddlers. I will always turn off the machine and remove the safety clip when I am not using the machine.
- Definitely plan for the short cord, it fit fine in my "breakfast room."
- Amazon customer service: Ordered treadmill on a Friday, received it by special carrier the following Friday.

I feel like I got a good deal and I am satisfied with my online purchase. This is my first treadmill (or equipment) purchase. I would consider myself a person who likes to exercise, but is not currently in top form. I'm looking forward to my first workout tomorrow!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product / Horrible service if you have issues with the treadmill, April 27, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
I bought my treadmill on December 1st of 2011. First issue was that even in the flat position, the treadmill had a significant incline. I'm a very experienced runner, I run 5 miles every day of the week, and I've been on all sort of treadmills, so I know this is not normal. But customer service was very unhelpful and told me that was probably normal, and left it at that. After using the treadmill for three months, I discovered a hole in the walking belt, that became very large after running for another 10 minutes. The area around the hole was boiling hot, I assume due to frictions. That was in mid-March. So I called customer service. The walking belt was covered by the warranty for parts, but it was in back order. I eventually received a new one after two weeks. A technician came to change the belt (which is not something I would recommend that you try to do on your own, it took him 1 hour and he's supposed to be a pro). The next day, I ran twenty minutes on the treadmill, and after 20 minutes the brand new walking belt was ripped open in the middle, and almost caught fire. So my treadmill was useless again. Either the technician screwed up when he installed the new belt, or more likely, there's a defect with the frame. So I called customer service. The lady was nice, we exchanged several emails, I even sent pictures of the treadmill to help them figure out what's wrong. The lady eventually told me that a technician would come to see the machine again and see if it's something that could be fixed or if they needed to replace the whole treadmill. She told me he would call me "in a few days". It's been two weeks, I haven't heard from anyone, even the nice lady is not replying to my emails anymore. My brand new treadmill has been out of order for almost almost two months, with no solution in sight. Nautilus could have simply sent me another unit after the walking belt broke for the second time in two weeks, but instead, they are choosing to just ignore the issue and to screw their customer. So I just decided to just throw away that piece of junk and buy a new treadmill from a different brand. Buy a Nautilus treadmill at your own peril guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Treadmill with pr-level features, May 1, 2010
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
I stumbled upon this thing on closeout at a local sporting goods store. It was $1999 new, and I picked it up for $450! I couldn't believe it! I've been wanting a top-level treadmill for fifteen years and they have eluded me. Enough about that! Onto the treadmill...

We were checking it out at the store and the sales person showed me how it didn't move when he got on it. He weighs about 260 and I'm about 250. I tried it and it was smooth as glass. For that price, I had to get it. Only a fool would pass that deal up! We got the floor model, so it was already assembled.

We brought it home and it is a beast! It is quite heavy, so as to stand the heavy punishment of Clydesdales like me. The backlit LCD display is great to look at. It's in reverse (white characters on dark background). A great feature is the thumb controls for speed and incline. They are just great. It has two cup holders on the console and heart monitor sensors built into the handles.

What surprised me when I got the unit home and unpacked the bag (with all the manuals and such) was that there was a polar heart rate monitor! I didn't notice anything about that on the display. It's the chest strap type and broadcasts to the treadmill. This is a fantastic feature, so I don't have to squeeze the stupid handles all the time.

I've put a couple of miles on it and my kids have all given it a thorough rogering. They've done all the levels of incline and all the speeds and snatched the safety key out and all that. If it can stand they're consumer labs style of testing, then it's ready for action.

Good stuff!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
I bought this treadmill in early February, 2012. It has ran decently up until now (April 2nd, 2012).

I set it to go to 8mph and it went from 3mph to roughly 15mph within 2 seconds. I had to jump off of it to avoid losing my footing. About every 5 seconds while set to 6mph or more, it will "burst" and send the tread speeding 15+mph. It's impossible to run on it like this. I've since emailed customer server and will update when I get the issue sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal on a great treadmill, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
After reading the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about buying the treadmill but decided to give it a shot because of the price. Nautilus treadmills are good quality so I was hoping for the best.
Much to my delight, the box arrived without a single dent. The delivery guys carried it into my basement (thanks to those who suggested having a location selected ahead of time) and offered to open it so that I could examine it.
No problems at all! And it seems very well packed. Guess they have resolved that issue.

I set it up by myself very quickly. Not sure why they recommend having two people set it up. While it was heavy, I was able to push/drag it around myself.

The cord length, the on/off switch location, and the emergency switch are all standard features of health club quality treadmills.

I'm looking forward to running indoors this winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid commercial design. Best of breed, September 7, 2010
Roger Boivin (Fairview Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nautilus T514 Treadmill (Sports)
I read all the reviews and was very apprehensive about ordering this product. Others talked about receiving the u nit damaged in transit and others complained about needing to grease the gears, the short cord and location of the on/off switch. When it was delivered, I was waiting with my box cutter and opened it when the delivery man was still there. Surprise! No damage, not even a scratch! Assembly was a snap, my dog Sophie could have put it together.

There is no longer a need to grease anything, Obviously, someone listend and the unit is now greased at the factory. The cord is short and this is necessary by the high current motor and this also explained the location of the switch. I planned for this and located the unit appropriately. The unit is high grade, very solid and meant to last for years.

I have diabetes and could not jog outside regularly in the Texas heat. I wasan effort for me to go out there once again to jog around the same neighborhood. I now watch my favorite TV programs and jog on this machine for 5 miles every night. Now I don't have to worry about the weather, the dogs or the snakes and I am doing something other than SITTING while watching TV. I waited for years to buy a treadmill and this was the one I was waiting for.

5.0 out of 5 stars It "Runs" Well, August 21, 2010
OneFederalist (Ruckersville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
A "six months later" update:

To sum it up: no regrets. Still runs well and am enjoying it. It's held up just fine under my big butt (well, not as big as it was since I've been using this thing) and I've gotten used to the treadmill's "personal profile" feature; as I said below, it just took tooling around with to get used to. I'm glad to see I snagged it when it was on one of those Amazon sales, because I'm not so sure I'd pay over 1K for it; depends on what a comparison with other current treadmills of a similar price would reveal. Still, if you can get this treadmill below that, I'd take it.

**********************************************
Original review:

I've owned this treadmill for a little over a week now, so take this review for what it's worth.

I had no issue with the delivery experience. Amazon really seems to have their act straight when it comes to this part of the process as far as I can tell. I imagine delivery problems are akin to what makes the nightly news. Everything works just fine 95% of the time; it's only the 5% that goes wrong and makes the cut (and, subsequently, you get the rant reviews...understandably so; I'd be ticked too if I bought a $900 broke up piece of machinery). So I was lucky to be part of the 95%, with only a small irrelevant gash in the box with no damage whatsoever to the treadmill itself. As most of the reviews say, the thing is heavy. You can slide the box on a smooth surface if you're fairly strong, but unless you're a 'roid monster, don't think you can pick this thing up by yourself. Have a second pair of hands ready if you need to move the box around.

Putting it together took, maybe, 1/2 hour - 45 minutes. Most of the time took in getting the packing material off the parts and putting the thing where I wanted it. Aside from that, it's only a few steps in the process. Most of the nuts and bolts are already in place; it's just a matter of getting a few key ones in place and you're done. It does help to have another person to get certain things lined up so you could insert the bolt with no problem, but I don't think it would've been impossible to do it by yourself. The only glitch I had, and a minor one at that, was the need to get the treadmill's running mat centered once it was all put together. No biggie. Just needed to turn it on, a few twists of the accompanying allen wrench, and it was done. The manual shows you how to do it.

Turned it on for my first go and away I went.

I do like the white/blue digital display.

There seems to be enough different programs to keep me entertained for a while.

You can have 2 personal profiles to keep track of your calories and time spent on the treadmill. For some reason, it doesn't store distance. Perhaps I'm not doing it right. That's one of the minor gripes I have on the profile setting. Setting up the profile is no big deal, but it's not pretty intuitive as to how to retrieve or store the data. I get nervous I'm about to erase my profile and find myself having to refer to the manual to be sure I don't goof up. But I'll just attribute that to only having it for a week. The more I tinker, the more I'm "getting" it.

Unlike other reviewers, I actually think the little fan in the dash does a pretty good job. It has a low and high speed. Just enough of a breeze on the face to keep me comfortable. But that's just me; I suppose everyone has their preference.

A couple other minor quibbles:

I agree with another reviewer. Why the engineers thought to put the on/off button at the bottom-front of the machine is a mystery to me. Since the power chord is up toward the front too, I have the treadmill facing my wall (where the outlet is). So I have to duck under the handlebars to shut it off and on. Makes me think I'm going to slam my head someday if I'm not thinking. So yeah, the on/off button and the location of the power chord probably should have been thought through a little better.

I'm also not too keen on the beep sounds that happen every single time you push a button. Be nice if you could mute them.

But as I say, these are a couple minor quibbles in my mind.

To sum it up, a good experience so far. The treadmill has a real solid feel (and I'm a fairly big guy: 6' @ 250 pds.), doesn't make much noise at all (we have it downstairs and the only thing you hear upstairs, if you listen close, is the beep-beep-beep of pushing the buttons to set your profile or chose you program), and seems a really decent price for the quality (nothing like avoiding that sales tax on these big ticket purchases!). For peace of mind, and since this is a big ticket item to me, I bought the Square Trade warrenty. But I'm fairly confident I shouldn't have to use it if first impressions are of any indication. I'll try to remember to do a follow up in 6 months or so.

This is my first treadmill, so I'm certainly no expert, but if you're looking for one this one has this buyer's recommendation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›