4.0 out of 5 stars Wife says she loves it
Published on February 3, 2012 by C. Lacy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for my kids
[It looks like there is a reviewer war going on, and that might say something in and of itself. My views differ from some of the other reviewers, but it is a sincere view based on my own experience.]

This is less about the product and more about a good product that is a bad match for me.

I was very excited when the package arrived. I tore into the...
Published 17 months ago by Richard Staats

4.0 out of 5 stars Wife says she loves it, February 3, 2012
This review is from: CoreBody Reformer (Sports)
I ordered this for my wife from their website not from Amazon. In any case, she has been using it for a few weeks now and is very happy. She has been taking Pilates classes here and there but we recently converted a room in our house to a small gym. She said lots of the exercises are basic Pilates moves but the additional resistance was a big boost to the workout. I know it took some getting used because she wanted me to send it back at first, now she uses it about 3x a week. She wants me to order the additional DVD's.

Update 4/19/2012. I have been using the machine a bit recently to create some variety in my P90x workouts. You can easily incorporate the device into most of the strength programs for added resistance and to boost balance and core. Wife still uses it a few times a week and gives it rave reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine (surprisingly) for cardio!, January 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered the Core Reformer from the Amazon Vine Program because I am an avid home fitness junkie! A little about my fitness self: I am an AFAA Certified Group-X Instructor. I teach 4 classes per week (2 yoga and 2 step-cardio w/abs) at a large national LA founded gym chain.

You would think that I would not be such an dedicated at home exerciser, but working out at the gym is work for me, and I do my at-home exercises for fun. I have well over 100 work-out DVD's (Yoga, Pilates, Strength and cardio) a treadmill, elliptical, spin bike, mats, bands, step bench with risers, etc..my husband is almost ready to open up our gym to the public to help pay for all the equipment I buy....I digress...

Like I said, I saw this CR offered and almost jumped out of my seat with joy when I saw it was still available!! I ordered it thinking it would replace my pilates mat routine (2 times a week.) Instead, I will probably use it more to add to my cardio program.

When I opened the box, I was pleased with the packaging and all the extra goodies that came in the box. The recipe book, the workout calendar, the food journal, the precise instruction guide, the all-in-one Core Reformer DVD and of course the easy-to- assemble Reformer itself.

After assembling the CR, I started my workout right away with the 45- minute Total Body Workout #1. I wear a heart rate monitor during my exercise sessions, and I noticed that with medium tension on the Variable Resistance Bar, my heart rate increased to the same rate as when I complete an elliptical workout. Granted, the cardio sessions are too short on the DVD to be considered heart healthy, but if you memorize the cardio moves and combine them for a 20-minute workout, you will sweat!

Over the next 3 days, I completed all 4 workouts on the DVD at least two times.

Here's what I discovered I liked and didn't like:

Likes:

As mentioned above, this is a surprisingly good cardio machine. Not why I ordered it, but there you go.

It stores in one little corner of my already crowded workout room.

The DVD instructor is very precise and gives good body movement instructions.

The CR is easily adjusted to change from a massage roll (minus the stablilzers) to a muscle toning machine for the backs of the arms (just turn the reformer around), to a cardio machine (add stabilizers and push one button to add resistance on the arms,) then to a core strenghtning board.

I can add arm and ab toning with the resistance cords to my cardio workouts instead of just using my legs as with my step bench, elliptical machine, or treadmill.

Dislikes:

The machine was very uncomfortable on my rear when sitting on it for the core exercises. I had to add my yoga blanket around the barrel of the machine just to be able to sit at all on it...it was still uncomfortable, just not as much.

Standing on the machine with both feet for the balance challenges is also uncomfortable. If we want to work the core, balancing does help, but it seems to me like a more stable and comfortable surface would help get the job done because the focus would be on the core only...like on a mat or pilates machine with a flat surface. Maybe if 2" or 3" of the top of the cylinder were flat, it would be more comfortable. I am 5'9 and lying down on the machine to do the core exercises leaves my neck uncomfortable and also, it is uncomfortable on my back because of the rounded cylinder.

In my opinion, as a core exercise machine, the price is a smidge high.

If the machine were more comfortable and stable, I would use it much more often.

Overall, I do think this is a sturdy, well-made, piece of equiupment. I see no signs of potential wear issues due to cheaply made parts. I will use this machine in addition to my regular cardio workouts because I like the addition of the arm exercises whereas my cardio workouts are mostly leg workouts. Adding the arms to my cardio will add a toning segment that I usually wouldn't have.

I would recommend CR as an addition to your home gym, but I would also add a Pilates Mat DVD to strengthen the core.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for my kids, January 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I was very excited when the package arrived. I tore into the box and dispersed the contents across the living room floor. I enjoy assembling things. Three hours later and five assembly cycles, I felt more like Robbie the forlorn elf from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer than Thomas Edison.

I finally did get it together. The parts are high quality, and the set took the abuse my misguided assembly efforts shelled out.

Then, there was the matter of trying to balance and do the exercise.

I must have looked like a drunken Shamu trying to juggle while on a unicycle.

My kids would love this device. It is small enough to store in an apartment, dorm room, or barracks. For the svelte, well balanced crowd, this look like fun.

For those of us with the balance of middle age, doing the exercise appropriately on the device as configured can present a challenge.

So, again, it is a great product that is well made, and fits a real need; it just was not a good fit for me.

The shame, the shame ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, August 8, 2012
This review is from: CoreBody Reformer (Sports)
My husband bought me this for my birthday. It sat around unused for about a month. Then I decided to watch one of the included DVDs. It looked like fun so I gave it a try. Now eight weeks later I have lost nearly 20 lbs! I have o complaints about the device. Trust me, it works and s fun. It's really a great workout. Would highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun to use!, January 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of my biggest hobbies is working out at home, and I love getting new workout "toys," so I was especially excited to be able to try this out. I've been using it for the past few days, and I just love how fun it is to use.

The package contains the following items:

* A quick-start guide/pamphlet that tells you how to assemble the CoreBody Reformer
* A DVD that contains four separate workouts, which I will explain in more detail below
* A set of Workout Cards that you can use if you don't want to use the DVD workouts
* A weight-loss plan overview
* A Food Journal
* A recipe booklet

The recipe/diet information is pretty standard stuff, but the Journal is set up in an interesting way, where you choose meal options and enter them into the Journal as a way to monitor your calories. I haven't been using it, but I could see how it would be helpful to keep people on track.

The CoreBody Reformer itself is very quick and easy to set up. You untwist the top, and pull out the T-bar area, which has pulleys attached at each end. You push the T-bar into the top area, set the main body onto two platforms to stabilize it, add your bands/loops to the pullies, and away you go! Now that I've used it a few times, it only takes me about two or three minutes to set it up and take it down each time I use it.

The entire thing supposedly weighs 17 pounds, but it feels a bit heavier than that to me, probably because the length of it makes it a bit hard to maneuver for shorties like myself. :-) Because of its low profile, you could easily store it under your bed, but I've been keeping mine propped up against a wall in my workout room.

When you first use this, it is a very odd sensation -- just as if you're standing on a balance beam. I appreciate the fact that each DVD workout has you start off by getting your balance and getting comfortable being on the beam.

The apparatus is also easy to adjust. There are three levels of resistance (low, medium, and high) that you adjust by pushing in small notches located at the base of the cables. They move in and out quickly, so it's easy to adjust them mid-workout if a move is too hard or too easy for you.

As far as the workouts go, they are great! The included workouts are:

* Total Body Workout #1 - 43 minutes
* Total Body Express - 25 minutes
* Core Essentials - 20 minutes
* Stretch and Renew - Roll is 22 minutes, Stretch is 19; the menu gives you the option of playing both as one workout, or just choosing one segment

The instructor is Jennifer Galardi, who has led other dance-based workout DVDs that I own. She is very encouraging, and I love that even she wobbles a bit sometimes! It makes me feel like less of a klutz!

Jennifer also gives really excellent cueing and form pointers. The camera angles also make it extremely easy to see Jennifer's positioning, so you know exactly what to do. Her verbal cueing is also great so that you don't have to tweak your neck to look at the TV screen.

In addition to Jennifer, there are two background exercisers -- one doing advanced moves, and one doing more beginner moves. Jennifer herself does the mid-level moves.

I've found that my heart rate stays elevated during all but the stretching workout, which has surprised me. I didn't think that the resistance exercises in the workouts would have such a good cardio element to them.

A few people noted in their reviews that the DVD workouts are fast-paced, but the key thing to remember is that you can always modify and go more slowly; if you find the moves to be too intense, it's best to try not to keep up with Jennifer or the other two gals, and instead just go at your own pace. You'll still get a good workout.

I only have a couple of negatives to point out, neither of which is major enough for me to have knocked off a star from my review. One negative is that it would have been nice to have had a short video that showed you how to put together the CoreBody Reformer and set it up.

The second negative is that it is a little squeaky/noisy, especially when you're doing the cardio segments of some of the workouts. Basically, this would not be an ideal piece of equipment if you have to worry about noise levels.

Overall, I really like this, and have had a lot of fun using it. It's been challenging my body in new ways, and I love how fresh and fun it is to use! I'll be sure to update my review as I use this more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you see on tv, January 30, 2013
This review is from: CoreBody Reformer (Sports)
The tube is very hard and if you have back problems it makes it worst. When using the resistance the tube pulls up on you. It's not stationed on the ground. I tried to return it since I was a little over the month return the company wouldn't let me. I would be happy with partial payment return. 6 week returns are only for larger products. I find it dissapointing that they wouldn't work with me in regards to returning because the product physically hurts me and I am unable to use it. I wouldn't recommmend it to anyone. Now it will sit in my closet and take up dust.

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD's move very fast!, May 2, 2012
This review is from: CoreBody Reformer (Sports)
I purchased the CBR, tried it and returned it! The DVDs move very fast, instruction is not great, the CBR is large and has to sit on "stabilizers" so if you need to change position or move it further away from tv, you would have to pause DVD to get it readjusted. I have several pilates DVDs that give you as good or better work out without the $249++ price or bulk. Try the 10 min solution pilates DVDs, they are great! Good instruction, good variations for beginners, some use stretchy bands which act like a "reformer". Save your money!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars So uncomfortable - not good if you're just beginning, March 24, 2013
Reverie (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This CoreBody Reformer kit includes DVD, recipe booklet, food journal, and flash card exercises (color coded for lower body, upper body, core, stretch and renew). You can set different resistance on the cable by pressing the buttons for low, medium, and high settings. It also includes a 1 year parts warranty.

I try to stay in shape by doing crossfit every other day and jogging 3 miles in between, so I really wanted to like the Corebody Reformer. For exercises that require laying down on the core, it's so uncomfortable. I have to use a yoga mat to cushion it otherwise my tailbone really feels it. It requires a fair sense of balance so you don't fall off during the standing exercises, but I found it to be stable enough. It is somewhat heavy so you don't really want to move it around too much (about 19 pounds).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product for Innovative Workout, March 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've read some of the reviews here, and I do agree with certain points: 1. the machine can feel a bit unstable, 2. the included workouts are a bit short and 3. for supine core exercises, it is a good idea to cover the machine with a mat or a blanket. But I'm still going to give this core reformer 5 stars. Why?

1. The package includes so many ideas, from the DVD to booklets to diet information that it is a comfortable choice for a beginner new to home exercise.

2. For those who already have experience with Pilates, the straps allow for all sorts of interesting ways to perform many of the Pilates routine like scissors and add additional variations to make the poses more challenging and interesting.

3. It is easy to store. I keep it in a corner in the bedroom, but it can fit inside any large closet with room to spare.

4. There are options for different needs: one reviewer noted that it provides a good cardio workout. I agree. But it also allows for more relaxing low impact movements that allow for more stillness in each pose so that the body can stretch.

I would recommend taking a few Pilates reformer classes, just to get the hang of using a machine with straps and resistance for anyone new to using equipment. It is a bit more low key than a gym atmosphere, and anyone who wants this product may be making a choice to stay away from gyms in general. However, if the user follows the various tips, he or she can still start off learning the basics and feeling good about the exercise. The entire package with all of the additional information makes it very easy to figure out the direction of the workout. Maybe after a few months of sticking with the basics from CoreBody Reformer, some books on Pilates would be helpful--that is my thought, but it may not suit everyone.

This is a good investment for anyone who wants to work out at home. Since my background is in Pilates and Yoga, I tend to look at it from that point of view, but the machine is designed for innovation and trying new things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout and great price!, January 7, 2013
This review is from: CoreBody Reformer (Sports)
I've been using this machine for two weeks now, and I've lost 5 pounds. It's surprising how well the resistance works, and how much of a workout it really is. I would recommend getting used to the different excercises shown on the set of excercise cards included BEFORE attempting the DVDs. It's a little difficult to keep up if you haven't even practiced the different movements. I love how the whole thing is stored together, and it is surprisingly sturdy!

CoreBody Reformer