Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on June 1, 2011
Amidst all the doomsayers and fear-mongers around the 2012 predictions, David Ian Cowan's book Navigating the Collapse of Time gives us a different and "enlightened" perspective on what the "end of time" really means.

According to Cowan, ego-death/spiritual awakening is the name of the game and the concept of time is an ego-based phenomenon which is on its way out. He has done an impressive job of describing the changes that some of us are already experiencing, as well as offering suggestions and encouragement for us to begin moving in the direction he has compelling reasons to believe we are going anyway. (Moving from duality to the Oneness that we really are.)

Whether or not we will have the global enlightenment he sees for us, since reading his book I feel substantially liberated from my own fears around 2012. Firstly, because I really heard him when he repeatedly mentioned the fact that fear is of the ego and keeps us in its grip; Secondly, because living in fear is not fun on any level and I'm one of the people he talks about who is fed up with suffering; and thirdly, because even if the external events don't go as he is saying to create this massive shift, if it's true that we create what we see, why would we want to see Armageddon?

It's interesting to me that this is the second book I have read this week (see 2012: A Clarion Call by Nicolya Christi) that can inspire us and help us shift me into a place of confidence and empowerment around the challenges to our world.

Perhaps as 2012 approaches (and Cowan tells us the changes are already in progress and a huge shift may occur in October,) we are being given what we need to position ourselves to both meet--and help bring forth--this amazing transformation.
on June 1, 2011
What an awesome book. Still on page 63, after 2 weeks of reading and thinking. There is plenty of substance, depth, and humor, but the author never feels the need to show off his wisdom by over-complicating the narrative... it is written in a style that welcomes inner reflection on the fascinating ideas that are surfaced. I'm not hanging my hat on each and every word, but rather riding the resonance, with focus, like a kid on a roller coaster. This one magically jumped off the bookstore shelf into my hands, as do so many well-written books with a loving & positive intent.
on July 6, 2011
Since discovering this book purely by chance last week I have been unable to keep my eyes off of its pages. Although much of the material contained is already very familiar to me David Cowan posseses the great ability to somehow re-introduce the facts with such clarity and fine order that makes The Collapse of Time nothing short of true inspiration.
His humorous flow and humble warmth make this title a joy to read, providing us with the perfect companion through our current transition.
David makes great sense of our seemingly ever maddening world and manages to keep the focus positively upbeat whilst firmly highlighting the unfaltering need for us all to learn the art of true forgiveness. For me at least this is a hand book to the ages, a must have for all those drawing breath.
I cannot recommend this title highly enough and have not stopped speaking of it since it came into my world.
If you are the type to remain skeptical to all things meta-physical I would advise that you to read this book with an open mind and open heart as truth speaks for itself and this is an undeniable presentation of the truth.
I can't wait to see what he delivers next. Thank you so so much.
on December 28, 2014
An amusing and instructive read, particularly reading it after 2012. Amusing by how totally and completely wrong he is about everything, and instructive because my annoyance at reading his colossal errors is making me think hard about what is actually true. He did have a few things (a very few things) correct. For example he does seem to have a passing familiarity with shamanism. But traditional shamanism provided a valuable service to tribal communities. Shamans were judged by how well they could heal and how well they could predict the future. I am presuming that he at least is a good healer. He should stick to what he knows.

This book is very heavy on proselytizing Buddhism, which is fine. But I think he should say that upfront, rather than going on and on about how his religion is totally right and encompasses all religions, that it doesn't matter if you are Christian or Jewish or whatever, as long as you are Buddhist. Those interested in converting to Buddhism would do well to read the sutras.

He does seem to have the sight, but anybody with it knows, or should know, that 90% of what is seen is not veridical. There is no discernment, either in his own statements or in accepting the most farfetched ideas from others. Some of this is harmless, like blindly repeating the assertions of Zecharia Sichin or that polyester would have some kind of Rapture. But some of his assertions are quite harmful, like saying that global warming has nothing to do with human activity. He even repeats hateful conspiracy theories about AIDS, Ebola, and vaccinations, which could cause immediate harm. At least when he repeats them he immediately distances himself from them. He has a strange relationship with science. He rejects almost everything that science says is true, yet when it comes to the photon band or schizophrenia he quotes select scientific studies that agree with his point of view.

I picked this book up hoping to have instruction in how to deal with the changing quality of time since October 2011. Perhaps I need to find a book written after 2012. It's alienating that most people seem to not have noticed any change. I guess there are so few of us that such a book would have a tiny audience and therefore isn't being published. He does have some interesting things to say about multiple dimensions and how they relate to the chakras but if you are going to have a dimension of sound, wouldn't it correspond to the fifth chakra?

Anyhow the book did get me thinking so I gave it three stars. And it's a cautionary tale in being careful with one's intuition about the future. Yes, here in the future it will be important to put petroleum products back in the ground (or to not remove them in the first place), and it sounds like he sensed that with his sight, or someone else did. But then to jump from that to the idea that polyester clothes will on one specific day all disappear off everyone's bodies, that is pretty silly.
on September 11, 2013
Insightful with common sense that you can read and grasp quickly. Explanations that are grounded in common sense that ring true. Not an out there book at all. Very grounded and will make you think, "Wow, I get it! A new spiritual world is coming without being preachy or getting into religious doctrine. Just a way to live life to the fullest and appreciate each days new challenges with a positive spin.
on July 17, 2011
I wish I had 20 copies or so to spread around..this is a must read for any one wanting to navigate these times,both inwardly and outwardly.Well written,a thouroughly enjoyable read.. mind-bending yet calming and assuring at the same time...Its' got me excited about the future again!
on March 1, 2012
In our three-dimensional physical world, we usually take the concept of time for granted, and perceive it as linear -- time moves from the past to the present to the future. Cowan presents time as simply another dimension, as scientists and others have postulated. He says that we are in the midst of a 25-year transitional period of planetary shift as our solar system approaches a photon band in space, and that will affect our perception of time. Much has been made of the end of the Mayan calendar on Dec. 21, 2012, but in another way of calculating time, the important date was Oct. 28, 2011. That date has come and gone already for us, and some may have perceived great shifts then. So far, we and planet Earth still endure.
-- Alice R. Berntson, New Connexion Journal
on August 4, 2011
This is the kind of book that gives the "New Age" a bad name. There is not a single original idea in the entire book, nor is there a hint of anything that rings true from the author's personal experience. It is a rehash of everything that has already been said, some valuable but mostly a smorgasbord of inanities.

For example, Cowan informs us of the meaning of the so-called "ten dimensions" of existence derived from nothing but his own imagination. He tells us without blinking an eyelash that Venus is the home of Quetzacoatl in another dimension, and relates conversations with folks from the Pleiades and Zeta Reticuli. The so-called tenth planet Nibiru (as enunciated in Zecharia Sitchin's books) is discussed as if it were an accepted fact, never mentioning that there is not a shred of scientific evidence that any such planet exists or has ever existed, He also swallows whole all of Sitchin's dubious theories without raising an eyebrow.

The book is filled with "spiritual" pronouncements delivered in a holier-than-thou tone. Never is there any attempt to challenge fuzzy thinking or to ask the reader to think beyond lazy assumptions. He uses the word "oneness" and "non-duality" at least 500 times during the book until it becomes meaningless and, in the process, makes everyone and everything else wrong who doesn't share his outlook.

This is not a book that will convince anyone except those who accept anything that sounds profoundly spiritual, no matter how silly it may be. There are many challenging spiritual books out there that a thoughtful individual can seek out. My advice is to stay far away from this one unless you want to waste your time having someone blow in your ear and pat you on the rear end with an endless string of clichés and banalities.
77 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2012
I personally adored this book! Everything he wrote about I have read somewhere else but the author's style is what brought it home for me. His intent was to 'put it all together' and that's just what he did. It completely aligned with my personal intent to put it together for myself. Thank You, Thank You! I now feel confident that I can navigate my own ship and trust myself as a competent captain. My favorite 'aha' moment of the book was when (he) was writing about the now. To understand the Now the question was posed: 'Think of a significant time in the past. What time was it? Now, right? Now, think of a future event and what time is it? Now, right? BONG! I got it!! I gave this book 5 stars for the authors' heart-centered intentions and ability to put it all together.
on November 19, 2011
What a fantastic book! After having just set this book down I must say I am rather impressed with not only the insight put forth but also the clarity in which the book was written. The author has courageously taken up the task of explaining all of the topics forth with in such a clear and concise manner despite what I am sure was a rather difficult task. This book touches on many ideas and concepts we have long discussed across the board-whether it be in the field of Science, Spirituality, or areas in between-and I personally found myself grateful for such an opportunity to view the author's perspective.

This book was beautifully written and I truly look forward to more books that offer such insight. This is definitely a good book for anyone interested in expanding their world view, and I would say if you read it and "just don't get it," pick it up again when your heart and mind are more open, you might be missing the big picture. If you read the book you will remember the "ego" loves to resist ;) This book has a great deal more depth than you would originally think and I would say that as we merge into more of a conscious collective, this book is an excellent stepping stone and definitely one we should be careful not to overlook but instead, experience fully as we continue on our collective path of evolution. I highly recommend this book!