5.0 out of 5 stars An expensive but healthy food
These berries are thought to be one of the one of the healthiest natural foods. There are many "stories" about the amazing benefits of these berries, many of which may be true, but a few verifiable facts about them (in dried form) follow:

Published on December 27, 2006 by Charles Burns

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves and worms
Published on November 21, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An expensive but healthy food, December 27, 2006
Charles Burns (Pocatello, ID, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Navitas Naturals Organic Goji Berries, 1 Pound Pouches (Grocery)

1) High protein (about 12%), and are a complete protein. This is good for anybody, but particularly noteworthy to vegans, who choose not to get their protein from meats.

2) Decent fiber content (about 10%)

3) 18 (!!) amino acids

4) Like most sweet fruits, high in carbs and calories. 100 grams give you about 350-380 calories; roughly 3/4 from carbs and 1/4 from fat.

5) 6 vitamins, 8 amino acids, 11+ minerals (more in trace amounts)

6) Carotenoids, unsaturated fatty acids (this is a good thing), phytosterols (help lower cholesterol), and other healthy (or theoretically healthy but not particularly well researched) phytochemicals.

Enough with the technical jargon. These berries are great in cereal, smoothies (once hydrated), and tea. For tea, try this:

Put water, a small number of berries (6-15ish) and a teabag in your cup, microwave for about a minute per teacup (time varies), drop a small amount in your favorite tea along with the teabag and let the berries and tea steep for about 3 minutes.

This adds a subtle character to green tea (plus an unusual, tasty snack to do with a few of the sips). The flavor seems to blend well with chai and jasmine too. This may work differently for those who use creamer.

I recommend that you try a bag, keeping in mind that you may need to soak the berries in water/tea/whatever in order to make them soft, and see what you think. I have found they make a great addition to my usual cereal-only breakfast because they give me a much-needed protein boost.

If you like them quite a lot, you may want to take the time to look for a supply in a nearby Asian foods store. I have heard they can be purchased at a lower cost in bulk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves and worms, November 21, 2010
To start with, I'm a big fan of goji berries. A friend recommended another brand that I faithfully purchased until it was no longer available. I just found out it's name and packaging have changed and I've placed my order! In the interim, I purchased the Navitas brand and have been disappointed. There were a number of green and dried leaves in the bag, which I never experienced with the "other" brand. I was about two-thirds of the way through my current bag when I discovered a couple of lovely little worms floating in my tea! FYI, I usually start my morning off with a big cup of hot tea, sweetened with gojis. After seeing the additional protein in my tea I decided to check the remaining contents of the bag. I emptied it out onto a white paper towel and discovered a number of more white worms. The bag has been kept sealed and stored in a dry, cool area so I blame the product not how it was stored. I'm very disappointed and will not be purchasing any more products from this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution - Mold infested Berries, September 22, 2010
Order with CAUTION, while all organic foods have some issues with shelf life, these goji berries were more than 30% spotted with black spots of mold. Picking through these berries to discard the bad ones is a slow and tedious JOB. They cannot be returned and you are taking a chance of wasting your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Berry, October 25, 2006
Having consumed Himalania Goji Berries for over one year, the Navitas Naturals Goji Berry is a great addition to the exotic food market. The Navitas Goji is harder and drier than the Himalania Goji, but the flavor is much sweeter and better tasting.

I love the fact that they're raw, vegan, sun-dried, and free of chemicals and pesticides! Goji berries are believed to strengthen the immune system, increase energy and reduce fatigue, and reduce the threat of free radicals (due to HIGH levels of antioxidants). Gojis have highest ORAC score to date! The ORAC scale is a standardized test used to measure the total antioxidant potency of foods and nutritional supplements.

Definitely, one of my favorite foods!

1.0 out of 5 stars They Taste Terrible And I've Had Way Better., December 9, 2008
Steve (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Navitas tasted pretty good the first time I had them, but after having premium berries from California Academy of Health, I can't even finish this bag. In comparison, CAOH's have a fresh picked taste that is sweeter and softer. The difference is night and day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Moldy!, April 27, 2012
Audrey (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
I just opened this bag of Goji Berries, ate a handful and spit it out. I emptied the bag onto a paper towel to examine. The berries are moldy & lots of bits & pieces of seeds, stems, & half eaten parts of berries from insects or worms perhaps. It tasted like mold. I checked the stale date, 9/26/13. Yikes! I can't imagine eating these a year and a half from now. The item is not returnable. It says USDA organic on package. It's a product from China. Very poor quality. I don't trust it, & will never buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by the latest batches, May 18, 2012
Chuck (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
I have been ordering these same Navitas Goji Berries for probably 4-5 years on Subscribe and Save, going through a pound every month or two. I use Goji berries for cooking, snack and tea, and they are great for everything. The quality and price from Navitas have been very good until the most recent shipment I got. In the past, the berries are relatively dry but still a little chewy, which I really like. The most recent batch (shipped to me in March 2012) seemed very damp, and the berries were stuck together in clumps. When I made tea with it, some berries, which I usually chew and eat, had distinct moldy taste to them. I examine the bag and found some berries with MOLD growing on them.

Very disappointed to the recent QC on this item. I will not order this item again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty berries!, February 15, 2007
These supposedly have some of the highest levels of antioxidants of any food, which is why I bought them. But I really like the taste too. It's not too far off from a cross between a tomato and a strawberry, but a very little bit bitter at times.

Overall they taste great, though some kids might not like them due to the slight bitterness.

Edit: A few of these berries have a bit of mold on them. I would reduce my ranking by 1 star if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another bag of molded Goji berries, June 22, 2011
I believe this is my first review. I am slightly addicted to Goji berries. I snack on them at work and re-hydrate them in tea before adding the mix to a tall bottle of ice and fresh lemon juice. I have a subscription to Navitas on Amazon. I got my first bag. I found the fruit very hard and dry but decent in size and still a great snack until I kept having to spit out mouthfuls due to the distinct nasty taste of mold. I thought I just got a bad bag but when my second order arrived.....same thing. You could see the black spots of mold on the berries. Most Goji's coming from China are dried til they are hard as pebbles b/c of the long month long journey (or more) to get here. They are still prone to pathogens and mold. I ordered Dragon Herbs Heaven Mountain Goji's and will follow up on how they are. Dragon herbs is a reputable company that has a process for dealing with the issues facing Goji's travel from China. If anyone knows a locally grown organic source of Goji's that is reasonably priced, please list it. Goji's grow easily in the US and it's obviously more sustainable. Regretfully, I am cancelling my Navitas subscription. Beware when purchasing. I read other reviews about mold and you can't return this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL-Moldy and poor quality, May 9, 2012
This was my first experience with goji berries so I was excited to try them. I actually spit them out they were so bad. Tasteless except for a moldy/salty taste! Thinking that maybe this is how they are supposed to taste, I asked a coworker about them. He had a bag and let me try his...they taste NOTHING like what I got. HIs actually had a flavor that was berry like. I looked at the product I received closer and can see mold growing on the berries. Also the berries in the bag are mostly just hacked up pieces-not a lot of whole berries. I will steer clear of Navitas brand from now on!

Navitas Naturals Organic Goji Berries,  1 Pound  Pouches