5.0 out of 5 stars Good suppliment for Hypothryoid issues and cold sensitivity
Published on January 22, 2009 by Amazon Customer

1,365 of 1,389 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Maca should not be eaten raw.
Published on January 30, 2012 by T. Lane

1,365 of 1,389 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Maca should not be eaten raw., January 30, 2012
This review is from: Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder, 1 Pound Pouches (Grocery)
Maca powder = maca flour. I have cooked with maca flour ten years, as a baking and cooking ingredient/flavoring. In Peru, maca flour, or "harina de maca" is a relatively cheap regional culinary flour. Raw Reform is a great specimen of this culinary flour; ideal for cooking, an excellent nutty flavor, it's bitterness subsiding with heat. A decade ago I could buy 'harina de maca' for $8/kg (and in Peru, it's a mere $2-4/kg) - now I see this same inexpensive Peruvian cooking flour sold as a "raw superfood" at an inflated price. It's very odd to have witnessed this metamorphosis.

The reason I gave this ONE star is simple - this company (among several others) suggests that you to eat this flour raw. Like other cruciferous roots, maca can be particularly difficult to digest when raw. Not only is it fiber-dense, it contains lots of goitrogenic compounds (a term which means 'thyroid-interfering,' not "goiter causing") - that's why the raw root and it's flour is so bitter - it's no wonder people have digestive issues and occasional hormonal (thyroid) complaints with raw maca. The one time I ate it raw, I experienced the stomachache too. Maca is dense in fiber and thyroid inhibiting/goitrogenic compounds (glucosinolates and isothyocyanates), both of which are lessened greatly or deactivated by heat. Among the people who grow it, maca is not considered healthy unless cooked. It is therefore a great paradox that the "raw food" crowd has gotten hold of this vegetable that has always been, and by all accounts always should be cooked. This supplement is being backed by people whose basic food philosophy avoids the plant's very identity in human use. It would be like eating turnip flour, raw (except maca can even more bitter than this, in fact most of the lepidiums are). Back into antiquity, maca has had to be cooked in order to be gentle on digestion, on metabolism, and it has been cooked traditionally for this purpose.

I have used the raw maca flour in cooking since 2002 where I first read about it in Chris Kilham's book "Tales from the Medicine Trail" and began following an interest in this ancient food. I do use raw maca flour for cooking, baking, in pancakes, confections, etc. Where you can get it inexpensively, it is excellent for such uses. For therapeutic effects and everyday drink mix usage, presently I employ a 'black gelatinized' maca - it seems to be the strongest type energetically and for sexual effects, and 'black root' is my personal preference. 'Gelatinized' means that it's soluble fibers have been neutralized (broken down), and it's goitrogens denatured - it is a little more concentrated over the powder / flour. Naturally, it is less bitter than any uncooked flour product. The gelatinized processing was developed specifically to address the digestion/goitrogen issue inherent with the root. That's the process' entire purpose - that's why it even exists. Several different companies employ a starch gelatinization processing method for maca.

The trend in "health food" circles says to eat maca raw, in order to glean the mood, stamina, and sexual benefits which Andean people have known for thousands of years. These merchants never mention how the plant has always been prepared - cooked - perhaps the most crucial aspect of it's identity. Why argue from antiquity about all the health benefits, while ignoring the food's ethnobotany? It's a mix of mistaken understanding, and because there's profit in re-selling a highly marked up culinary flour. I see $20.00 - $25.00 a pound slapped on maca flour in health food stores -- on a product which can be found $2-4 a kilogram in Peru ($1.36 - $1.81/lb!). This is precisely why some regional foods / surpluses suddenly become "superfoods." In maca's case there is a genuine positive effect being felt... so, like the mood boost one feels with coffee, maca is an easy sell.

Pay a price of $20/lb only for the gelatinized product, which has actually been processed for immediate consumption. Do not pay this for a re-packed culinary flour.

1.0 out of 5 stars What Nobody Tells You About RAW Maca..., May 6, 2010
I have never written a review before but I always consult Amazon.com reviews before buying a product so thought I would give back at least once. I bought this product BEFORE I thoroughly researched it due to lifelong problems related to a hormonal imbalance and was soooo excited I just bought what I thought would be good; raw and organic. I took this product for 3 days until I broke out in hives. I only took 1/2 tsp day one and 1/4 tsp days 2 and 3. I got the hives day 2 but was hoping they were not related to the Maca (they were). So.... I researched more and there is one very informative forum I found on google (hard to find and not sure if I'm allowed to refer it or not but here it is but FINISH reading to the bottom or you will not try this product ever): [...]. There are a bunch of websites and some scientific reviews, but long story short, it appears that Maca MUST be eaten pre-cooked (gelatinized) to obtain therapeutic benefits and to alleviate potential problems related to digestion (when eaten raw) and possible toxicity (raw) the way the native Puruvians have done for thousands of years to the present (cooked). There are studies that show ingesting raw Maca is worse than not adding it to the diet at all. Based on what I've read you need to start SLOWLY with the dosage and adjust it according to your body's needs, then take a break from it occasionally or it appears to lose potency. If improper dosages are taken it exacerbates the imbalance/symptoms. There are (reportedly) many benefits of Maca on the entire Endocrine system and I still have high hopes so ordered from another company who doesn't sell raw Maca due to the reasons above. I believe Navitas also has a gelatinized version of the Maca but I bought one with DIM to prevent the overproduction of bad estrogen which can cause cancer in people with a family history. Hope this helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars Made me VERY sick, August 29, 2010
I have used other brands of Maca with no problem. This one made me very, very sick to my stomach with pain and nausea. It took me a few weeks to isolate what was making me sick - had a full gastro work-up and everything - that's how sick I was! Today, after being healthy again for 2 months I tried 1/2 tsp of maca to test and am sick and nauseous.

I know many people take maca with no problems. I only post this so those who get sick will hopefully not struggle as long as I did to figure out what is causing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good suppliment for Hypothryoid issues and cold sensitivity, January 22, 2009
If you happen to be hypothyroid, give this a shot. I read about it on several thyroid patient advocacy sites and in Brendan Brazier's Thrive book and gave it a chance. It has changed my life. I was suffering from extreme reactions to cold, a common symptom of thyroid disease, and I was going to have to move out of New York. One hit of cold air and I was exhausted for the rest of the day. Maca changed this. Now I stand outside and enjoy the snow. It's shocking the improvement. Be patient. It took about two weeks and 2 tbsp a day to feel a difference. I am an evangelist for this stuff now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not eat raw., April 14, 2013
Tried this raw in my protein shakes. Stomach ache every single time. I rarely have stomach issues and can digest pretty much anything. I should have read more reviews as there are quite a few complaining about the same issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to help a lot, February 5, 2009
Started taking a tablespoon, SlimFast, 8oz 1% milk for breakfast for the past two weeks.

Very diminished appetite, lost a surprising amount of weight. Sleep well, wake up sleepy but the weird thing is that once I get out of bed I'm ready to go with energy which feels really odd to me.

Have a better mental attitude but I'm also taking phytoplankton so I need to eliminate one of them to figure out the "magic".

I'm not saying this is the greatest stuff ever - I honestly don't know. I do know how I feel and it's much better then before I started taking it. I have a demanding stressful job and I feel more balanced then ever.

The taste is bitter and you'll need to mask it in something, especially if you grew up on "Americana" High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I think it's worth a try - give it a couple of weeks - judge for yourself.

One last thing about these reviews.

It REALLY seems like a bunch of these reviews are phony and/or "paid to review" which I find more distasteful then the bitterness of the product.

This "fakiness" review stuff is rampant on the internet - especially for health foods - and it's also blatantly dishonest.

So if Nativas is propagating this type of thing you should stop - all it does is give you short term gains and minimize your brand - if you have a good product them it should stand on it's own merits.

Not all people on the internet are sheep...

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff works, August 8, 2009
After reading a couple of reviews that seemed to be negative I felt i had to put in my two cents.

In so doing this i will be blunt. This stuff will make you a sex machine. I've gotten four bags of it and was very impressed every time. On more then a few occasions I've taken a large amount and been able have sex multiple times in a row without loosing hardness. i was able to ejaculate three times in a row without loosing my erection on many occasions.

On top of that this stuff is very nutritious and has aided my athletic ability. Especially in resistance type exercise (kettle-bells and weights)

Navitas is top of the line stuff too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 29, 2009
The Gerondakises (Maryland, United States) - See all my reviews
First and foremost, this is the only maca powder I have tried. I have tried a few items from the Navitas brand and I really like them, so I continue to buy their products. Maca powder has a very unique taste to it. It is reminiscent of malt powder, but it is somewhat bitter. If you're a health food freak, you probably won't have any issues with that at all. If you eat a more typical (but highly non-nutritious) Standard American Diet, then you will probably have issues stomaching the taste. If you're trying to mask the taste, it would probably go well with chocolate or cinnamon.

As to the effects of taking maca, I definitely feel better when I take it regularly than when I don't. I have been traveling weekends this summer and haven't felt quite "on" when I'm not taking it during my travels. I am also an endurance athlete and began taking maca powder when it was suggested to me that it would help with training stress. I have been completing some very hard training weeks of 350+ miles on the bike and have yet to get sick. None of these statements are scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but since studies with maca are few and far between, the anecdotal evidence will have to suffice! It seems to work for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 14, 2007
T. E. Brown "Joe Apocalypse" (Pflugerville, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Navitas notes that their Maca is slow dried and not irradiated. The product arrived to my mailbox in perfect condition within a few days of my order. The powder comes in a resealable package. The flavor isn't bad at all - a little pungent (kinda like dried yams). I noted increased energy almost immediately but will have to give it a few weeks to rule out a "placebo effect" or other variables that might be at play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs some effort, December 30, 2006
D. Whitney "dewsr" (Chadds Ford, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The taste, in a word, is unbearable. First, we mixed it in our daily juice, and it ruined the taste and did not fully disperse, leaving a bitter clump.

But we soon found a workaround: sprinkle a teaspoon on top of daily oatmeal, add a sliced banana, etc., and the problem is solved. I am sure there are many other solutions, depending on your dietary predilections.

Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder,  1 Pound  Pouches