5.0 out of 5 stars Lowers Blood sugars
Published on May 12, 2009 by A. Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars Rodent feces
Published 13 months ago by shopgurl

1.0 out of 5 stars Rodent feces, July 17, 2013
This review is from: Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds, 1 Pound Pouches (Grocery)
I am totally disgusted. I loved this product up until today. I was getting this auto shipped on subscribe & save monthly. My newly opened bag of chia seeds must now go in the trash. Today during my normal routine I have switched from putting 4 tbs in my green smoothie daily to making chia pudding. I let it sit for 10 minutes, stirred it up, squeezed a half a lemon in to it then began to eat it. I was down to about half then decided to look in the glass while scooping it out when I saw a little black pellet. It stuck out because it was larger and a different color than the chia seeds. I removed it thinking this looks like mouse poop but forced myself not to believe that that's what it was and placed it on a tissue. I took about to more scoops and look down again and I found two more!!! Now I feel sick. I pulled out my phone and looked on the reviews to see if anyone has complained of this and low and behold I see a 1 star review from 2012 with complaints of rodent poop. The worst part is up until two weeks ago I was putting about four tbs daily into my daily smoothies without looking. I do not have mice. This bag was new and had I not decided to eat chia pudding I would have still been eating poop!! I am sickened to think that this company has such poor quality control. I loved this product for all the energy and other benefits I received from taking it daily. If I went more than two days without my chia seeds I would not have as much get up and go. Now I have to find a new brand. Please examine your chia seed from this company closely. I have uploaded a picture that shows the last piece of feces I found before calling amazon. I was given a refund for two bags of chia and I stopped my auto ship immediately. I don't want to even imagine all the mouse poop I have consumed a day. Ughhhhhhh!!!!!!! Does the consumer have any recourse from something like this? I have gone through about 10 bags of these chia seeds. I know this can not be good for my health!

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought many bags of this, but the last shipment was really bad with sand and mice s***, March 23, 2013
frypan (California) - See all my reviews
I bought this many times and always rated it 5 star, but the last shipment to me was with very low quality, lots of sands, and then I found this from a mice left over, take a look the photo uploaded

1.0 out of 5 stars Contaminated, July 13, 2013
The Chia seeds are contaminated with pantry moth eggs/webbing and infested my whole pantry. I had to throw out hundreds of dollars worth of food

1.0 out of 5 stars Where to start..., August 23, 2013
Jackson David (Azores, Portugal) - See all my reviews
First off, I've been using Navitas goods for quite some time now. I loved them since the start. However, recently I received another order of these Chia seeds in the mail and my love has since changed.

For starters, one bag had aquired a small whole which was leaking a little bit of seeds. Which is fine. It's a packaging problem, not a failure of the actual product. So, I figured I could still consume what was left in the bag itself (which was 99.9% left inside. But here's where it gets much worse..

I dumped the rest out into my "Chia" jar. (I always empty all my food products into glass containers for storage). I noticed a few small twig fragments but I figured, meh, what the hell, a few sticks won't hurt so I decided to eat them any how haha. Over the next couple days I felt a bit more bloated than normal. By the third day, I was eating them and CRUNCH. Right into a rock. A tiny, gray rock. Fortunately, I must have strong teeth because I did not break a tooth.

Then I decided to investigate further. I emptied the whole bag out and found MUCH more debri mixed in then I expected. Along with the rocks, twigs, etc. I found what looks like animal feces -_-

Naturally, I've refused to eat them after all this. But AGAIN. I noticed something strange..

When I empty my packaged food into glass containers, I usually keep the bag for nutrional content reference, etc. It's easy when I have someone over who asks what the health benefit is, etc.
Well, I compared this more recent bag to an older bag and almost ALL the nutritional value was A**-Backwards and different! I'm going to have to post pictures, because this is just freakin' crazy.
I never had a problem with the bags that just tore open and then ziplocked shut. But the newer bag has a pull-tab that tears the bag about 1/2 inch from the top and then ziplocks from there.
Something has CLEARLY changed not just in the packaging, but the quality control, etc.
Anyone else experience this????

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowers Blood sugars, May 12, 2009
I bought the Navitas Naturals Chia seeds. They are great. I put them in a shaker bottle. I use them on sweet potatoes, in salads and coleslaw and just learned that they can replace half of the fat in baking. At first I didn't know if it was lowering my blood glucose or if it was something else but I confirmed it the other day. I had stopped using the seeds and my morning blood glucose shot up to the 140's. I decided to start using the seeds again and within a few days my blood sugars dropped to the 120's and the only thing I changed in my diet was the addition of chia seeds. I love them. I haven't made the gel yet I have only used them raw and they are like eating poppy seeds which I love. Hope this will help other diabetics. Navitas is a quality product and is very reasonably priced. I will definitely continue to buy them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and disgusted, April 3, 2014
I purchased this product and it tasted fine, but I came back to read the reviews to see many of them stating that they found rodent poop in their bags, so I decided to check my bag. Low and behold, I found many rodent droppings in mine. I now have this almost full bag of comtaminated chia seeds and I can't eat them, wondering if I can grow them instead? I tried to contact navitas naturals to ask for a refund or a replacement and they wouldn't get back to me. Very disappointed in this organic product. I won't be buying this brand again and I definitely won't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! THERE REALLY IS MOUSE POOP IN THE BAG!, December 26, 2013
THERE ACTUALLY WAS MOUSE POOP IN THE BAG! I ORDERED THIS AND THEN READ THE REVIEWS, SO I SIFTED CAREFULLY AND LO AND BEHOLD THERE WERE TWIGS AND MOUSE FECAL MATTER! I AM APPALLED THAT'S AMAZON STILL SELLS THIS! BEWARE! DO NOT BUY THIS!!!

I GUARANTEE THAT PEOPLE WHO BUY THIS AND ARE NOT CAREFULLY INSPECTING IT, ARE EATING MOUSE POOP! IT IS HARD TO SEE, BUT IS LONGER AND DARKER THAN THE CHIA SEEDS. I HOPE NO ONE GETS SICK!

I AM SO DISGUSTED!

1.0 out of 5 stars Navitas Naturals Chia powder linked to salmonella illnesses, June 14, 2014
This is an excerpt from the MSNBC news:

-----start----
WASHINGTON (AP) — Those who seek to make food healthier by adding chia powder should avoid several recalled brands that are linked to salmonella illnesses, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

The CDC on Friday issued a warning to consumers who may eat chia powder, made from ground dried chia seeds and often added to smoothies and other foods for its health benefits. Some of the recalled brands are Organic Traditions, Green Smoothie Girl, Navitas Naturals and Williams-Sonoma.

Twenty-one people in 12 states from New York to California were sickened with salmonella linked to the chia powder, the CDC said. Canada is investigating similar illnesses.

The CDC said chia powder can have a long shelf life, so people should check to see if they have the recalled products in their homes.

Two people have been hospitalized in the outbreak. Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection.

Illnesses were reported in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
----end-----

1.0 out of 5 stars Look for another brand, November 11, 2012
I have purchased 2 bags of this brand. I am reluctant to open the 2nd bag. The first bag was rotten and rancid. You could not tell until you got a seed stuck in your teeth and that disturbing flavor fills your mouth. I also found a rodent (mouse or rat) dropping in one of the bags. I will never purchase this brand again. It is filled with things other than seeds, like sticks and other rubbish. I got the Running Food brand Chia previous to this and will be returning to that product. I tried to save a few bucks and it bit me where the lord split me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Debris, January 10, 2014
Like other reviewers have said, Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds has a lot of debris in the package. It's disgusting that this continues to be sold without proper quality control. I would not repurchase.

Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds,  1 Pound  Pouches