Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Naztech Micro USB Charging Cable - BlackBerry, Cal-Comp, HTC, LG, Samsung, Nokia, and Sony Ericsson
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

My title is a little misleading unless you're familiar with the whole charging scenario surrounding Samsung's Galaxy Nexus and probably other Android handsets.

Many USB port car chargers, including the Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro, claim they are capable of putting out 1 Amp of power on each port. But when connected using a standard USB cable, the phone only allows itself to be charged at the slower USB charging rate of less than ½ Amp, that in many instances cannot keep up with the current demands of in-car navigation -- not to mention streaming audio and making phone calls. I've ended up at my destination with a nearly depleted battery.

With this cable, my Powerjolt can charge my Nexus somewhere on the order of 10% per half hour WITH Navigation and Pandora apps running.

This cable is used for charging only. It shorts the two data connections together (rendering them useless), so the Nexus only sees it as a power connection, and will accept the higher current of the charging source (1 Amp Powerjolt charger, in my case). This is confirmed on the Nexus About > Status screen (see my attached image on the main product page), where it indicates the phone is connected to a high-current AC power adapter.

With a standard cable, the screen reads Charging (USB), instead of Charging (AC) as shown in the screen shot I posted with the product images.

I have yet to connect a meter across the cord to check actual current (don't want to cut my cord open to measure this on my multimeter).

The cord is about 4 feet in length, and is very thin and stiff in comparison to just about every other USB cable I own. I don't necessarily object to the thinness of it, but the kinks haven't worked themselves out over time, so it kind of sticks out in 10 different directions as it climbs from my 12v adapter to the phone mounted on my dash.

Big shout out to the Galaxy Nexus crowd at AndroidForums who steered me to this cable.
review image
55 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
I ordered this cable March 2012 and what I received was a USB to micro-USB cable with the data pins shorted on the micro-USB side. This was correct for these devices and (AC) charging was recognized and working on my Galaxy Nexus phone and later Nexus 7 tablet.

I re-ordered two more of these in September 2012 and sadly have to report that this is no longer the product that got glowing reviews. It came in a "Naztech" package and indicates the right model number. Unfortunately, the September cables are now unshielded cables wired as a standard USB cable. When plugged into a device and charger it indicates (USB) charging. As it's obviously unshielded I'm not even sure it'd work for USB data correctly. So for a premium price you don't either get a charging cable or a proper USB cable.

Other differences to note, the March cable had one side snipped off and a hard plastic micro-USB connector obviously reworked on to it. The September cable had an injection molded micro-USB grip on the connector. The September cable's micro-USB connector might be non-conforming or have odd dimensions because it was very difficult to insert. Inserting the cable was so difficult I considered giving up for fear of damaging my device.

Both September cables were constructed and behaved the same way.

In summary avoid this cable if you're after a cable that allows your device to charge at (AC) speeds. I see the same story on other purported "charging cables" so I'm not sure where to go next.
on September 27, 2012
I ordered 3 of these cables on Sept 7 and they all do the fast charging with our Galaxy Nexus phones.

I ordered 6 more of them on Sept 13, and all of them *DO NOT* do fast charging.

The difference between the fast charging and the regular USB cables seems to be that the fast charging cables have a "flag" sticker hanging off the cable where the regular USB cables do not have that sticker. Otherwise, the packaging and labels on the product were exactly the same. Though I did notice that the regular USB cable didn't really "click" when plugged in at the phone end, it didn't fit nearly as well.

If the shipper could guarantee that they would ship only the fast charging cables, I'd rate this as a 5 star, but since 2/3rds of the ones I've received did not fast charge, I'd be reluctant to order these again.
on April 11, 2011
Perfect for the AT&T Mifi, which has the stupid annoying design that will shut off wireless when a data cable is connected. Really--who comes up with these brain dead ideas? This is perfect because I can power the Mifi from the USB port all day long.
on October 19, 2012
I bought a couple of these cables back at the beginning of September and I was sent Charge Only cables. I just ordered a couple more in October and the cables I was sent were NOT Charge ONLY Cables. Same packing, different cables inside. So, now it makes sense to me why some reviews were positive and some negative. So if you are looking for Charge Only Cables be aware that this product is a toss up. Some times you get the right cable, sometimes you do not.
on May 2, 2011
Many new phones only trickle charge with a standard usb cable. This cable allows it to charge at the full ~800ma/1amp charge.. (instead of 500ma..).

Perfect solution for charging on the go. I've bought 4 of these.

(note though - this is a CHARGE ONLY cable... don't expect it to work for data..)
on August 3, 2012
A bit disappointed in that after reading all the positive review I bought this cable for my Galaxy Nexus I just purchased from Google. It only supported USB charging, and did not support the AC charging. Connected it to multiple power sources including 2A output, but it charged very slowly, and therefore I returned it since not working as had hoped. Amazon is possibly selling a different part today. Nice try, but a failed experiment for me.
66 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2012
Ever since I've had my first Android phone, I've been annoyed by the slow charging and even discharging I get while using standard micro-USB cables. A little Googling shows that this can be fixed by shorting a couple pins in the charger or cable, but I didn't feel like hacking my devices. So when I heard about the Naztech cable, I had to give it a try. Basically, the cable works as advertised, charging your phone, even when under heavy load.
This is particularly important for car use when you're using the GPS, viewing a map and listening to music or talking on the phone. When using a conventional cable, the phone gets a slow charge that can't keep up with the demand, so your battery runs out even when plugged in. With this cable, the battery actually stays topped up - it's really a must-have if you're traveling.
But it's also great if you use generic USB wall chargers at home. Many of these have plenty of current capacity (1 amp+) but Android devices don't let them provide all the juice needed. Just plug in one of these cables and your phone will fast-charge. It's an amazing difference.
Like it so much I'm buying a couple more!
on October 18, 2012
I feel like I'm being generous by giving this over-priced cable 3 stars. I bought this cable, based on the strength of the reviews. I have a Galaxy Nexus, and the Amazon 2.1A car charger. I figured that with this cable and the amazon car charger, I would finally be able to charge my Galaxy Nexus at AC charge rate, instead of USB. I was wrong.

This cable arrived in a very easy to open package, which was nice. I promptly took it out to my car, started the car up, plugged in my Amazon 2.1 amp adapter, plugged in the cable, plugged cable into my Nexus. I checked the charge status and it said "Charging (USB)". Tried the 2nd USB jack on the charger, only to get the same result.

Lesson learned. Do not buy this cable. You are buying a really expensive data cable only.
on July 12, 2012
Without this cable my Blackberry won't detect many USB chargers and my Nexus S charges at a snails pace. The reason being that many chargers are designed to be compatible with Apple products and thus won't work as well for non-Apple products, i.e. the USB data pins are not shorted to let a non-Apple product know it's connected to a high-speed charger. This little cable solves the problem, it nothing more than a USB cable with the data pins already shorted so devices know they are connected to a high-speed charger.

By the way, don't try to use this cable on your PC. It won't work for data transfers and you may overload your computer's USB port if your devices tries to pull more than the max 500milliAmps from a computer's USB port (900mA if you're lucky enough to have USB 3.0).