Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Color: Black|Change

on January 25, 2009
This may be an ok red dot sight for low cal firearms, but it does not appear to keep alignment on higher cal firearms - my sight goes out of alignment. Construction could be more solid -- There is a bit of play between the sight and it's mounting base and I have to readjust the site often. (I am not talking about play between the sight's and the weaver rail mount.) The sight adjustments work however they are not very precise (or sensitive) and have I trouble locking in and keeping it in position. I can shoot 50 rounds at the range and the recoil will throw it out of alignment every time. (I don't believe I am doing anything wrong adjusting it.) I took it to a local gunsmith and he said he could not adjust it -- but I really didn't understand that, because I can -- it just doesn't stay in adjustment. "You get what you pay for" and "use the right tool for the job" are two sayings that potentially apply in this case.
This sight may be fine for firearms like: airsoft and .22 cal pistols and rifles. However, .380, 9mm, .40, and higher (certainly P+), and shotguns, may not be the best platform for this sight. Your mileage may vary.
Reticles are good and brightness is adjustable, however you must remember to turn it off -- there is no automatic shut off (auto shut off is common with more expensive sights). Field of view on this sight is ok. Battery life is good, dies down a bit in real cold, but still works.
Bottom line opinion: IMHO this is a good inexpensive/cheap site for budget restricted consumer or lower cal pistols and rifles. If you have the budget you should be able to do much better for 1.5 to 2 times the price.
I hope this review makes sense and helps prospective buyers. Good luck.
77 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
So, you pay $30 for a relex sight. It weighs 4 ounces, it's rock solid, and it works great. What's not to like? I give it 5 stars because it's very inexpensive and does everything it claims. The only reason it doesn't have 4.5 to 4 stars overall is because people are, well, different. One guy rates it down because he didn't FEEL strongly that he needed it. And that's the sight's fault? Many others rated it down because they don't know how it flippin' works... Sigh. If you don't like this scope for $30, you're going to be very, very hard to please. Good luck with life. 8^)

I'm using mine on a POI Carbon 15. No issues. Zero'd fine, has kept it's zero. I have a Trijicon reflex on my CAR15 and I like the adjustments on the NcStar better; they're more positive. And I like the reticle and the lack of need for a battery better on the Trijicon. Of course, the Trijicon cost somewhere north of $400...

I was going to add some pictures but I see some very good ones have been put up since I looked last. Good job, and thanks for saving me the trouble!

Bottom line: Highly recommended. (revised sharply downward; see below)

ADDED: Review #2. I got another one for another rifle. Ah, now I see... the second one was more of a sight KIT than a useful item. After complete dissasembly, some fiddling around, some spring stretching, and careful reassembly it now works. I'm a technical by trade, and I expect that what I did will be beyond most folks. The first one worked great, so I gave it 5 stars. The second one didn't work, but I got it functional. One star. About the same time the second one started working, the first one slipped the detent in the brightness selector; now to see the aimpoint, you have to turn the knob to 1/2 way between two settings. Every main numbered setting = off at this time. I haven't torn into it yet... it may get tossed in the trash instead. So I adjusted my overall rating down to 2 stars.

Considering that the thing costs 30-35 bucks, it's not an awful deal. If you get one that doesn't work, you can return it and try again. When they work they are fine.

Revised bottom line: Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. Proceed at your own risk.

ADDED: By 'more of a sight KIT', I mean that the elevation didn't work at all and the windage would go to one side and wouldn't come back. By completely disassembling the mechanics of the sight and stretching springs, adjusting steel parts etc I was able to make it useful. What we all want is one like the first one, you mount it to the weapon, sight it in, and it provides years of good service. The second one didn't work at all, out of the box.
55 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2010
If you're looking for a military grade reflex sight this is not it. However, if you are looking for a sight that is affordable, functions well, and looks good, then this is it. Again, this is no high dollar sight. But, for the price, who cares... If you're using it at the range or for varmints then GO FOR IT! I have this sight mounted to an AK-47. It holds up to recoil well and maintains "0" even after 100+ rounds. I bought this sight through M1 Surplus. When I went to zero it in the first time, the elevation screw broke. However, M1 Surplus handled the return professionally and quickly (for snail mail). This is not a common problem with these sights. I generally buy these at gun shows because I can get them right away. But at the price M1 has them for, it doesn't hurt to wait a week or so for delivery. I can not give this 5 stars, simply because I had an elevation screw break. But, this is the only time that has ever happened. I have seen this sight mounted on everything from handguns to M4s, and everyone I know loves them. Including law enforcement officers on a budget. If you can afford an Eotech then buy an Eotech. But, if you're on a budget you can't beat this sight. It won't last as long as the higher priced sights. But, at the price, you can replace this sight several times over without paying the same amount of money you would for a higher dollar sight. I highly recommend both the sight and the seller.
on October 29, 2009
Baought this sight for my Mossberg 500 for $[...] and was well worth it. I have routinley seen this exact make and model sell for $[...] or more at other websites. If the dot appears to be a bit on the dim side after a short while go buy a high quality battery. It is a fact of life that the batteries that ship with products tend to sit on the shelf for a long time or are low quality batteries. Most of the of the time companys supply them for convienence not as a selling point. With that said I had no problem zeroing in the sight the adjuments did the job and the adjument lock screws work ok. I had to tighten them down a little tighter then I prefer to, but They worked. The brightness controlls are decent. Personally I prefer a ittle finer controll over brightness, but it did the job well. The only improvment I would like to see is an auto shut off. I don't see how in other reviews there are complaints about it getting knocked out of adjustment with any thing larger then a .22 I use this on my shotgun with 2 3/4 00 buck shells and the sights stay in alingment just fine. If I fire rapid fire it will ever so slightly get knocked out of alignment, but then again so do I. :) Over all this is a great sight at a great price. I don't understand how others can sell the same exact basic red dot sight for 2x or more the price and stay in business.
on September 11, 2010
very nice steardy little sight.for those who dont know what the screw driver is for,there are two
little holes on the opposite side of the adjustment screw holes.there locking screws.
for those of you that keep saying that it wont stay set.
on June 15, 2010
I am very pleased with the 4db reticle sight, have had it on a $1200. 22lr handgun for 3 years. It still works great am looking to buy another can't beat it for the price.
on July 14, 2011
I have this red dot on my shotgun. It's been so popular with my friends and family that I have had to buty more to put on their shotguns. This Red dot really holds zero well and really takes the abuse of 1400fps Buckshot.
on December 14, 2009
Realizing this is an inexpensive Red Dot sight it has performed very well for what I wanted it to do. This sight was put on a ruger Mk III 22/45 and use it for Plinking. It has performed flawlessly and holds true very well, I mean very well since it gets carried on my ATV. One point that needs to be made is that if you change the reticle it will not hold true so I have made a choice of which reticle I want to use and leave it there. One of the most impressive points is how well it works in low light conditions. Again for the money it has done very well
on November 12, 2008
This is an amazing product. It is full metal, except for the brightness selection knob. The lens coating is very cool, and the sights come in perfect clarity. The item comes with a 90 day Warranty from AIM, the manufacturer. It comes with two Allen wrenches, the sight, a cleaning cloth, instructions, and warranty information. It mounts very easily with the Allen wrench. It looks very sleek and mounts sturdily on my M14's RIS. Great for Airsoft, and with the different sights it is useful for long range and CQB. I would not recommend the dot because it is very small. I personally like the dot/perpendicular line sight. Great product, and fully worth the $35 I paid.
on September 18, 2009
I bought the silver color to match my SS .22cal Ruger MKIII pistol and when I opened the box I instantly noticed the sights quality was far better than others of the same price. This is metal sight, not plastic and it comes in a padded box with a lens cloth, Allen wrench, mini screw driver, instructions, warranty info, & two batteries (one in the sight & one spare). Sight looks very nice installed on my pistol and it works great. I will recommend these sights for .22 caliber pistols/rifles and for paintball, airsoft/BB's or pellets pistols or rifles.
People keeps talking and complaining over and over about the same subject so,....everybody needs to understand once for all, that this sight is perfect (like I said before) to use in firearms like: airsoft and .22 cal pistols and rifles but NOT for .357,.380, 9mm, .40, .45, shotguns or higher caliber because their "heavy recoil" will throw the red dot out of alignment every time.
My only complain is about hard to see recticle on a bright sun but really doesn't matter to me because I usually shot indoors or in shaded areas.
Other people complain about NO auto shut off and... no BIGGER field of view and bla..bla..bla.. on these sight but they don't understand that for the price you're paying, you CAN'T have it all!!.. If you want the good stuff that other scopes/sight might have you need to put out more $$$$$$$.
The NcStar red dot sight works great on my .22cal pistol, never had any problems with it and it keeps alignment steady after shooting 150 rounds or more. This is a great sight and you get your moneys worth for the product!

Great features of the NcSTAR are:
*33mm lens
*7 brightness settings.
*4 reticle patterns (1-crosshairs w/circle, 2-large circle around small dot, 3-small dot, 4-crosshairs w/small dot)The next best thing about this sight is it's warranty. The NcSTAR D4B Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot. Holographic Sights warranty looks like this:

"All NcSTAR sight/scopes and binoculars are guaranteed to be free from original manufacturer defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for the life of the sight/scope"