5.0 out of 5 stars Almost One Year of Success!
Published on November 3, 2007 by Ro

3.0 out of 5 stars A good program for diabetics, although very strict
Dr. Barnard's program for reversing diabetes is based on Dr. David Jenkins portfolio diet, which is a high-fiber vegan diet. It's a completely vegan diet with no meat, eggs, or dairy products, although in Dr. Jenkins original study they allowed a small amount of butter. The result of the one-month study showed the portfolio diet to be as effective as low dose statin...
Published on May 10, 2010 by G Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost One Year of Success!, November 3, 2007
My daughter's neurologist suggested a vegan diet when she had two possible MS episodes last year. She became a vegan and has had no subsequent episodes. I read about the benefits of being a vegan in Dr. Barnard's book and in Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I asked my diabetic husband if he would try it for three weeks; it has now been 10 months. He has lost 40 pounds and his A1C level has gone from 8.3 to 6.0, his doctor has taken him off Metformin, and his neuropathy is almost gone. I have lost 35 pounds and my blood pressure has gone from 140/90 to 110/75, my acid reflux is gone, and I feel great. Four of our friends have become vegans, and they are having similar results. We cook wonderful foods and never go hungry. There are great vegan recipes on the internet as well as some very good vegan cookbooks. We particularly enjoy ethnic vegan food (North African, Ethiopian, Thai, Mexican, Italian). We rarely eat tofu, but have many sources of the nutrients we need to be healthy. In addition, I buy organic or locally grown food almost entirely. I avoid foods with added salt, additives, preservatives, and, of course, things like trans-fats and high-fructose corn syrup - and processed foods, in general. I work more than full time, and I manage to shop and cook to keep our healthy lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is changing my life, February 8, 2007
OK, so the diet is very much like the Dean Ornish program for reversing heart disease. A decade ago, I couldn't follow the diet, but it's funny what diabetes-related eye surgery, plus the wider availability of soy foods, can accomplish.

The basic message is simple: No animal fat or protein, eat all the low glycemic-index carbs you want, and reduce all fats as much as possible. The fat reduction has been the hard part for me, though my fat intake has been greatly reduced.

Results? In one month: Blood glucose average is now what my fasting glucose used to be. I have cut one of my meds in half. My medicated blood pressure is now within a very acceptable range. I have lost more than 10 pounds. I am happier, feel healthier, and I am not hungry all the time!

To make this program work, you need to commit to it. But, I have found this much easier than my Weight Watchers experience five years ago and don't really feel the urge to cheat on this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRUTH, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs (Paperback)
Almost a year ago I was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 64. I thought that I would escape its impact through a relatively reasonable lifestyle even though my father died of it at age 68 after having it for 25 years. The diagnosis hit me like a brick...there was no way I was going to suffer its possible diverse ramifications or food exchanges like my father endured.
A trip to the bookstore somehow allowed me to find this fantastic information. My A1C was 7.3 and glucose was at 183 when tested and after a week of reading the book carefully and spending a few weeks coming up to speed at the grocery store both my wife and I became vegan.
The results have been nothing short of astounding. Even the family doctor who was prepared to start me on a drug regimen is totally amazed as I progressively lost weight, lowered LDL and triglicerides and raised HDL. I have lost 25#, the A1C is now at 5.9 and feel better than I have since college age. I found everything he predicted to be the truth (which as we all know in todays' world is in short supply. We will continue to develop our cooking skills and look forward to even more success.

MAKE THIS LIFE ALL IT CAN BE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY...THERE IS A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM AND IT IS SO SIMPLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Transformation, June 25, 2010
This book will change your life if you follow it and really want to get and have your diabetes under control and maybe reverse it. We haven't got that far yet. My husband has been following the program for 1 1/2 months. He's had type 2 diabetes for 6 years and been insilin dependant for 5 of the 6 years. He told his Dr and Endocrinologist from day 1 that this was to hard for him to deal with, that he couldn't do it, couldn't count carbs, etc. etc. he worked a rotating shift schedule so he'd always be off balance. This was an excuse, he was in denial. His A1C was never under '12' and the highest was 13.5 His daily blood sugars were always close to 300 and sometime over 400! The man felt miserable all the time. When he finaly hit rock bottom. He saw Dr. Barnard's program on PBS about 2 months ago, bought his book and started following it. After only 2 weeks following the book I'm so happy to tell you his blood sugar was down below 200 on a regular basis. It's been about 6 weeks now, his blood sugars are around 120, he feels so much better, like night and day. Weekly faxes in a glucose log to his doctor who's reduced the amount of insulin he needs twice already and he's made the decision to go Vegan. I thought it could never happen to a man who every Tuesday ate Popeye's Fried Chicken,took left overs to work for a few days. Ate Ice Cream every night, snacked on Potato Chips daily!! Anything he shouldn't eat he did. He was commiting suicide by diet slowly over the years. Since reading this book and following the program he's eating better everyday & everyday he eat's better he feels better and doesn't crave or have any interest or miss any of the old food he use to put in his body. If this stubborn hard headed man can make this much of a change I think anyone can, if they want to. He now cuts and prepares all the veg's he's going to eat and is finding enjoyment in it. Never thought I'd see the day from a man that never set foot in the kitchen before except to go to the frig! Dr. Barnard's Program was a Godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! It's simple AND it works!, January 7, 2008
My wife and I have been telling our friends and family that developing diabetes is about the best thing that has ever happened to me, health-wise. Five months ago, I was in poor shape, primarily because of the type work I do (mediation counseling for stepfamilies via the internet and in office sessions). I ate when I got a chance and hardly exercised at all. Then my doctor told me, after a routine blood test, that my cholesterol was twice what it should be and my blood glucose was almost three times where it should be - I had diabetes, he said, get ready for a life of blood checks, medication, and strict diets.

Well, I rebelled and went in search of a way to beat diabetes. I read several books on how to "reverse" the condition, and one in particular, "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes," spoke so convincingly about the power of diet to correct my body's problems, that I decided to jump on the program wholeheartedly. My doctor reluctantly said he'd let me try it for six weeks to see if it did any good.

At my six-week check up my doctor said (literally) "Wow! I can't believe how much improvement you've made."

Here's the program in three steps:
1) cut out all animal products completely - all meat, milk, cheese, eggs, chicken, fish, etc. Everything. The reason is that cholesterol only comes from animal sources. When you cut out the meat, you cut out the cholesterol.
2) cut down on all oils as much as possible, including extra virgin olive oil.
3) eat a diet heavy in low glycemic index foods - these are foods that are dense in structure so they break down slowly in your stomach and ease into your system.

I thought quitting meat would be hard, but I like to eat, so I dived into alternatives - such as tofu, pasta, vegetables, etc, and I've gotten caught up in experimenting with new options. I quit just eating either chicken or fish or a hamburger at each meal and really got creative. I eat four to five times per day - I stay full! and we were both surprised at how fast I've lost so much weight.

Now, after a full five months, all my numbers are in the "good" range, I feel great, my wife says I look lots better, and I have so much energy I dont' know what to do with it all! And I've lead several other diabetes sufferers to the same program with the same results. I'll never go back.
(BTW, my doctor started the program, too!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing our lives, March 30, 2007
I bought my diabetic husband this book for his birthday. He read the book cover to cover in 3 days and radically changed his diet (not difficult for me since I'm already a vegetarian). He has lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks and is FINALLY committed to making the kind of changes that will help him live longer. His diabetes has been under control for quite some time, but on Dr. Barnard's new diet, he feels younger, healthier, stronger, and, most importantly, OPTIMISTIC after reading Dr. Barnard's book. Just one note of caution, we have modified the diet a bit since eating all that soy can cause some issues with thyroid medication and hormone levels. We recommend that you speak with your doctor before starting the diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, May 12, 2007
Great Program with scientific evidence that will help most all diabetics. Have been on this program for 5 weeks. Within the first week my blood glucose levels dropped 15-20 points. In the last four weeks I have maintained within 80-110 on my morning checks. Have used many of the recipes and amazingly am not hungry at all. I have eliminated the nightly dosage of Metformin. My goal is to eliminate all medications. The American Diabetes Association should rethink their diet plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed at blood sugar results., October 5, 2010
We bought this book back in Feb. 2010. My father has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes twenty years ago. About 4 years ago he got lymphoma, two different types. After going through treatments for the cancer, the diabetes went completely out of control. His fasting blood sugars were 230-250 range. He was on Metformin and Glyburide. Finally his doctor said Insulin would be next, and someone suggested this book. He failed Atkin's. Not sure if it was a compliance issue or if the diabetes was too far gone.
It took three weeks to see any difference in his fasting blood sugars. He took his blood sugar at least four times a day. After three weeks, he tested one morning and his blood sugar, fasting, had finally dropped to 150's. A month later 120's. At that time, his day time blood sugars were 150 to 200.
Three months out, his fasting blood sugars dropped to the 120s. His day time sugars no longer went past 160, 170.
Six months out, his fasting is 95-100. His daytime 120-140. The other day, he had a fasting blood sugar of 70.
He has been off Metformin since the fourth month. His glyburide has been cut to half pill twice a day. His attending is considering cutting that one altogether. When I sit down and review his book, I see a downward trend in the blood sugar, from the third week on. It just slowly came into normal range.
He eats everything that the book allows:
Sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans. Fruit. He makes his own bread with whole wheat flour. He oatmeal everyday. He puts raisins in his bread and eats it toasted with no butter. He did not appear to be over weight when he started but he has lost about 15 pounds.
This diet has really been a life saver. If you are dealing with diabetes, give this an honest chance. Very easy to follow and you will not be hungry.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Works!, July 5, 2007
C. Wilson (Castle Country UT) - See all my reviews
We heard about this book from our chiropractor and we bought it right away. My husband is a diabetic but has been managing it with medication and hoping against hope that he could delay the dreaded insulin shots. Well! After three weeks carefully following the easy program in this book, my husband's readings have been phenomenal. Just as the book suggests, his readings have moved below diabetic level. For example, two hours after lunch, he read 98. This is wonderful and so encouraging! I never thought we'd go vegan, although we've played with it a little, because meat is so pervasive. But now, in our mid-50's, losing weight and getting healed, it's certainly going to be our life from now on.

As a former vegan, I know all the kneejerk reactions against it. But this works! In three weeks, I lost 10 needed pounds and he lost 20. We are still losing. Really, give this a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diabetes Diet, March 21, 2010
The reviewers who blame the author for not mentioning exercising in his book are absolutely wrong. Of course exercising is good for one's overall health but it is completely outside of the scope of this book. The author specifically talks about ways of reversing diabetes with a proper diet instead of using drugs. There is a whole range of other positive things that you can do to improve your overall health but this book is not an encyclopedia of natural health but a program for reversing diabetes.

And what an interesting and effective program that is! This is a book about a great healthy nutritional plan not necessarily for diabetics only. It is a surprisingly easy plan to follow as it never makes you hungry but you will end up with a lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol level, and also lower body weight. The recipes are tasty and they don't result in the feeling of meat deprivation, which is a good prerequisite for keep the diet for a long term, hopefully for life...

Dr. Barnard in a respectable American scientist. His book is well researched and his system is scientifically proven to bring good results. Yet as the same time, the book is free of doctor's jargon and is easy to read.

But Dr. Barnard is not alone in his approach to treating diabetes. In the book Cure th e Incurable, a renowned Russian scientist writes the following in the chapter about diabetes:

"Thirty or forty years ago, when we didn't have today's abundance of highly processed refined food, deli products, (...) diabetes was a rare disease. People who got it were usually advanced in years and their pancreas wasn't efficient any longer due to old age. (...) We know that our digestive system, if fed natural non-processed food, can produce all hormones necessary for our body. It means that we can get rid of diabetes by putting some efforts into our diet..."

For those who would like to read more about not only the ways of treating diabetes but also other so called "incurable" diseases, and for ways of keeping the body fit and healthy in a natural way, in addition to above mentioned book I also suggest reading Live 150 - Your Body Maintenance Handbook.

Rate and Discover Movies