Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on December 12, 2011
Unfortunately, after a couple of months of using NeatDesk, my paper monster is still hovering, thanks to its enigmatic filing system, called NeatWorks.
After a lifetime of professional work, now documented on paper in boxes, I bought this machine under the promise of "taming the paper monster."
The machine itself is wonderful. Sturdy, beautiful, spartan design that consumes very little space, and oh yeah... it works! But naming, classifying and organizing the files, using the software provided is tedium ad nauseum. Perhaps in my next lifetime, NeatWorks will be refined.

I cautiously recommend this product to software engineers or anyone with a bank of assistants who, given enough time can figure out how to "tame the filing system."
on August 26, 2013
I love the idea of being able to easily scan + organize all of my receipts.

However, scanner is slow and it takes ages to process items once you scan them. Then, if you need to adjust anything, it takes that much longer to process.

So, we ended up only using it about 5 times in the little over a year that we had it and then it suddenly stopped working. When we would scan suddenly there would be a big black mark over whatever we scanned.

Neat Desk support is pretty weak unless you want to pay for it. At a price point of almost $400, you really shouldn't have these kinds of issues nor have to pay extra for support. Customer service is paramount for me in my business and I expect the same from those I do business with. I opened a ticket and they gave a response to 'solve the problem,' but it actually made it worse. When I responded with the details and an example of the problem to the email I received, no one responded.

I'm incredibly disappointed with the product and the service as a whole. I don't have time to sit and figure out why something isn't working when there is no reason it shouldn't be ... I bought this product for convenience and to ultimately save time and it's been the opposite - definitely takes too much time to use to end up being convenient, much less all the time I had my assistant put into trying to communicate with tech support to fix it. What a waste!
on January 24, 2009
I love my Neatdesk. I use it in my home office as a "digital dishwasher" to clean up my paper messes. Everyday I clean out my pockets and load up the slots on the auto feed with business cards and receipts plus the days mail worth of bills, 1009s etc. When its about 3/4 full (the paper feed works better if you don't stuff it as full as possible) I run the NeatScan software and digitize everything. Then the paper goes into a monthly filing folder which hopefully I will never have to access again. If I have time then I will go into the inbox of the program and review and file all my ocr'd stuff into the right place in the NeatWorks software. I am a long time user of the portable scanner (which by the way works great (and much faster) with the upgraded software) so I know that I don't have to bother to correct any small ocr mistakes on business cards before filing since the image remains attached). If i don't have the time then, I will do the review and filing at a more convenient time. I've been using Neatreceipts since 2005 (I am an early investor in the company) and its really "neat" now to have all my stuff in the database for fast searching, retrieval and emailing. The only reason I don't give this a Five star is that I do agree that the document imaging needs to produce cleaner scans that are smaller in size. I've been promised this in an upcoming software release and I've seen the test results which look great. I continue to use my original Neatreceipts scanner (grey one) with the new software and database as well if my laptop is at the office or when on the road. Works great, no problem going back and forth. I also have used the scanner with Picasa photo capture and editing software with good results.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Consumer grade scanners have been around for over twenty years. In all this time, the prices have plummeted, the performance (resolution, quality, speed) soared... and the software has made little to no progress.

NeatCo's system is the first attempt I've seen at addressing specific scanning needs in a systematic, well thought out manner, and the results are terrific.

They started with excellent hardware. The sheet-fed scanner takes much less space on a desktop than a flatbed, and it can scan both sides of a sheet at the same time. Speed and quality are excellent, but obviously if you need high-end photographic quality you will have to look elsewhere (but that's fine since that's explicitly not the target for this product). The feeder has guides for letter/legal documents, receipts and business cards. The power (a wall-wart type brick) and USB connectors are on the back, as well as an on-off switch. On the slanted front you will find two buttons for scan and PDF, which are replicated in software.

The software is a delight to use. Essentially, the idea is that you feed the scanner your documents, and a built-in intelligence figures out what they are and sorts them accordingly. It's a good thing that it's very easy to reorganize the documents, because I had mixed results with my attempts; for instance my W2 ended up recognized as a purchase receipt.
No biggie, NeatWorks makes extensive use of drag and drop and is extremely intuitive. Once your documents are organized, NeatWorks makes it very easy to export, print or email them, and make them "searchable" (NeatWork's term for OCR)

It's hard to find fault in this well designed, polished system. I mainly feel frustrated by the fact that NeatCo feels compelled to charge separately for software upgrades; if you're a Mac user, prepare to shell out an extra $100 (currently $80). I understand that they need to make a living and all this beautiful software doesn't write itself, but charging extra for Mac software is shortsighted. I hope NeatCo will reverse their position on this.

Despite this minor gripe, I can't imagine giving less than 5 stars to this spectacular product. If the price is a little high for you, take a look at the NeatDesk's little brother, the NeatReceipts scanner. Same software but a slick bar-shaped scanner, at half the price (and more convenient if you do your receipts on the go)
on February 22, 2012
A lot of their advertising focuses on the "easy import to Quicken". I've found, just after 24 hours, you have to do several workarounds to get things to import into Quicken and even then, many transactions don't actually get into the register. The transactions that do get entered do not have the digital copy of the receipt attached as advertised. I feel really duped with this product in that regard. Otherwise, it seems to be a great scanner, especially for OCR functionality, but soooo not worth the money in the long run.
on January 23, 2014
I was so excited to finally get something to scan my receipts and documents so I could go as paperless as possible in my office. The problem? Everything worked OK for a few weeks and had to make some adjustments. It was time-consuming to figure it all out. Then, I just had so many problems with the scanner. I keep getting scanner failures where my receipts won't scan and software just says "scanner failure". So I contact technical support and try about 5 things and get it working again only to have the failure happen over and over and over. This thing is supposed to save my time and there's nothing more frustrating than wanting to scan things and not being able to get it to work right! I wish I never bought this thing and had researched other brands. I would NEVER buy anything from Neatworks again.
on January 2, 2014
Should you find that your database gets corrupted, good luck ever getting it back. Neat's support is terrible. The times I got "help," it was a simple iteration of what the basic help says online, on their site. It also takes some time for them to get back with you, all the while, in my case, my business is getting backlogged. In any case, my database was corrupted and I could not open the Neat software. I had to uninstall every trace of it (not their uninstaller) using REVO uninstaller (removing all traces from the directory) before I could install it again. I then restored an older backup. I began to backup every day. Today, it flopped again on me and I have to rinse and repeat. I will no longer be using NEAT. You are better off to scan you files manually and file them normally. Neat is well-meaning but TERRIBLE product.
on October 31, 2013
I recently purchased a Neatdesk scanner and have had nothing but problems with it. Specifically, the scanner is only scanning the left 2/3 of my documents. There is absolutely no telephone customer service whatsoever and I have sent four emails to their supposed 'tech support', only to have them reply with automated suggestions that had nothing to do with my problem (or that even acknowledged that my emails were even read by an actual person). I have also asked them in my past 3 emails to honor their warranty and give me a properly working scanner - which they have ignored in their generic replies to me. As of now, I have had to dispute this charge with my credit card company and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, I wanted to give all of you advance warning not to do business with this company. They are terrible.
on January 18, 2013
This purchase was the first time I've used the Neat software and scanner. I've had it for a few weeks now and I love it - I feel more organized & can finally get rid of a lot of paper I've had filed. The scanner picks up the amounts and dates on receipts and documents fairly well, which makes scanning receipts easy. I'm also impressed how it picks up wording in recipes so you can search by ingredient. The Neat website has also been helpful with questions I've had.
One issue I have had is that to back-up the file, you have back it up to your computer, and then move the file to a jump drive - the program won't back up to a jump drive. My issue was more with Windows 7 than with Neat - I could not move the file over to the jump drive. After searching for help, I found that I had to install 7Zip (a free download), and I was able to zip and move the file to my jump drive.
on November 6, 2013
I bought this product and was initially happy until they upgraded the software to version 5. Now the program crashes constantly and I can't access any of my receipts.