1,159
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$128.67 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 24, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I bought this as both a gift and an experiment. I did not have the cash for the "big brother" of this small, portable scanner, but wanted to get my parents something to help them organize their desk area, which would have been a neat-freaks worst nightmare. While the progress was slow it was effective and my parents loved it. The scanner is easy to use and so is the software.
on May 14, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
The product demo was very easy on the TV advertisement however it is not as easy as it looks to work with.
on May 11, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner Works As Advertised.
This nifty little document scanner has really been a big time saver over the last three years. I started with the original and graduated through several software versions and this scanner is still working hard for me.
I am a Road Warrior, travelling about 85% of the time my receipts pile up quickly and get mixed up with receipts from other trips. That was until I got this Mobile Scanner. Man what a difference this has made in my organization. The software is really the best feature of this tool, remembering where I have been in locations that I may frequent or organizing all my reports in one handy digital format. This scanner has literally replaced three file cabinet drawers of expense reporting and Credit Card vs Cash analysis and so on.
My Wife and I share a credit card, so it is key that my business expenses get paid exactly to the penny, and before this scanner, I would lose receipts and the delay from the credit card company in posting payments would be too long, so needless to say I was short changing myself and my Wife by omitting certain expenses unintentionally. This machine has saved me so much money because I use it once per day and by doing so, nothing gets left out. Why pay for items that you don't need to be paying for?
Should I be slack on my once-per-day scanning, the new software has made it a breeze to load many receipts one after another with minimal effort or thought. I have buzzed through about 50 receipts while playing Xbox with my nephew between games, or while talking on the phone. This usefulness really shouldn't go un-noticed. Multi-tasking is something I do a lot of and with one of these scanners, I am able to do just that.
So, it saves me time, it saves me money and it saves space. These are three very beneficial things for me personally and if you have a need for any of those three items, give this little portable scanner a chance. You won't soon regret it.
I also purchased the carry case with it. Great decision. A little bulky, but very sturdy. The case is just right for the scanner.
Pros:
Saves time
Saves Money
Saves Space
Fits in carry-on
Cons:
A little slow
Highly priced
Doesn't have the highest quality resolution
on May 3, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I've worked with the Neat Receipts NM-1000 portable scanner for a variety of documents and I'm favorably impressed. I fear the advertising hype unrealistically raised my expectations, but all in all it's been a favorable experience.

The scanner is a hard plastic device measuring 11x2x1-1/4" and fits nicely in my luggage. It's sturdy enough that I don't work about hurting it with rough treatment from baggage handlers. This scanner needs no power cord - receiving all its power directly from your laptop's USB port.

Setup was easy enough with an enclosed CD, although the software did prompt me to download a newer version from the web. The Neat program that is loaded gives you a workspace where you can organize all your scans, with distinctions for documents, receipts and business cards. The scanner supposedly will interpret the document type as it scans, but I found the best performance came by selecting the appropriate type before scanning.

My main hope was to be able to tackle a huge load of business cards I've accumulated from various trade shows. I had a hundred cards to process from my last show so I was able to create a really good project to test its capabilities.

The scans of the business cards produced very clear, useable photographic representations of each card. The beauty of the Neat system however is in its ability to do an OCR scan and actually copy all appropriate information, placing each item in the correct fields for contact management. On this count, I'd give it a 8 out of 10 for correctness.

While just about every card had some mistake, the information it got right saved me innumerable hours of input time. Mistakes were usually small and were usually caused by cards with light printing, small fonts or non-standard lettering style.

Mistakes to watch for are small letter `L' being mistaken for a capital `I' in email addresses. The other area that was more often wrong than right was the organization name. This was often due to fancy fonts, multiple fonts or filled-in letters.

The Neat's strengths were primarily addresses and phone numbers. I rarely ever had to correct those. It also did an admirable job of correctly reading and transposing people's names and titles.

When it comes to scanning documents, again, pretty good performance. A full page color document saved itself as a 268kb PDF document, easily small enough to email to someone. The OCR capability was also pretty decent, and I was able to find documents by just searching on one just word that I knew appeared therein. 80% of the time, my document was found.

The disappointment came with scanning receipts. While it did a wonderful job of making a nice, contrasty black and white scan of old, beat-up and wrinkled receipts, it didn't do at all well in transcribing the data to the spreadsheet.

In trying dozens of receipts, it never was able to prepopulate the database with the name of the vendor. Even after manually typing in the vendor's name, upon rescanning the same receipt, it still didn't recognize the vendor name or expense category. It did recognize the credit card company on most occasions and was fairly good at picking up sales tax and total amount charged.

The problem will always arise that restaurant receipts where you write in your own tip and total will never be automatically entered. You will have to do that manually each and every time.

Overall, I'll be getting plenty of use from this scanner since my main goal was business card management. If it had been for receipt wrangling, I'd probably be disappointed.
on March 21, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have had this lovely scanner the size of a rolled up magazine, for several years (using version 3) and wonder about the people who say they love the software but hate the hardware -- what? The folders are a joke, setting them up and using them is not intuitive and therefore practically useless. Also, have they checked the numbers this OCR comes up with? We're talking about pre-printed receipts and yet their software takes the tax rate, instead of the tax amount. If you don't look, you could get in trouble. I found out early on I can't trust this software, so I only use the scanner to upload documents. But as a scanner, it is terrific. Really. The people who are complaining that it doesn't do light receipts well, need to just recalibrate it according to the instructions. The Neatworks people give you the tools to make this thing work, to clean and calibrate it when necessary, and use it for anything - color, B&W, and the quality of the finished images is great. I carry it everywhere I travel or do business because there is nothing you can't do when you have a high quality scanner on hand with your laptop. Really reduces the amount of paperwork you have to collect and carry, when you can just scan it in and print/fax/email it later.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I received the portable NeatReceipts scanner today and literally had it up and running within 15 minutes. I run a small business and trying to keep track of receipts is maddening--this thing has changed my life!! I had literally 100 receipts stacked on my desk and had them organized and scanned within an hour. Forget any negative reviews you're reading. The only question you'll be asking yourself is-- Why didn't I do this sooner??? SOOO worth the money...the best investment I've made in a long time!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This scanner has helped me get rid of so much paperwork that was cluttering my house, I am so thankful for that and it is easy to use and organize things. My concern is that in the future if I will be able to access my files saved to the Neat program or will they be lost, I have some very important and also meaningful things that I am scanning. My concern comes from reviews written about previous versions concerning the software that runs this program. That being said I am happy with my experience with this scanner so far.
on February 14, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
i love this product....easy to use software, scans easily, i have never been so organized....i like downloading favorite recipes and the neat will go to my download file and upload the file into the neat in pdf format...i can look at past bills that i have scanned with the click of a button....again, this is a great product. i give it AAA+++ rating
on February 11, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Scanner doesn't feed properly about half the time. Software almost never classifies receipts correctly. Processing is very slow (computer is new and fast on other tasks). Software is so poorly written that it takes much longer to scan and correct each entry than it does to do it all by hand. TV ads very misleading on this point. It sounds good, but doesn't come close to delivering on the glowing promises it makes.

Data format is proprietary, including its so-called "backup."

Stay away from this one. I wish I had paid more attention to the numerous bad reviews.
on February 6, 2012
Style Name: PCProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I bought this product to save time, but you have to manually enter the numbers half the time because it reads them improperly. Then if you ever want to have any chance that it scans properly you have to buy their 'scanner maintenance kit' which as far as I can tell is only available through Neat's website. $9.95 for 6 cleaning papers and 3 calibration sheets (9 pieces of paper, actually about 1/3 the size of an 8-1/2 x 11). Rip-off right? The real rip-off is the $14.19 they charged me to ship it! (Seriously? I guarantee it will come in a regular sized envelope.) I will never buy their products again.

Ray