5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly written. Solid strategies.
This is the 2008 revised edition of THE NEATEST LITTLE GUIDE TO STOCK MARKET INVESTING by Jason Kelly. I've been studying the stock market for over 30 years and have read countless books on basic investment strategies. This book is one of the best.

Published on February 6, 2008 by Monty Rainey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summary but misleading on strategy
I like this book because it is a good summary on many different things and reader friendly to those who don't have much knowledge on stocks.

Published on August 8, 2009 by M. Wang

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly written. Solid strategies., February 6, 2008
Monty Rainey (New Braunfels, TX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Even if you have little or no knowledge of stock trading, this book is written in simple, easy to understand terms. Yet there is actually enough detail here to be not just useful, but the foundation you need to get you starting in profitable investing. What Kelly offers here may not be produce the greatest results, but, especially for the beginning investor, this is solid investment strategy that maintains a low degree of risk.

Over time, you may develop or learn other strategies that will replace some of what you learn here, but the core principles should stick with you throughout your investing career. I highly recommend this book. Seasoned traders will appreciate Kelly's strategies. Beginning traders need a good place to start, and I believe this is one of the best places around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summary but misleading on strategy, August 8, 2009

However, author strongly recommended on using leveraged index fund. This is a very dangerous move and could be devastating. In the recent down turn, we already saw the problem with this strategy. So far we are still lucky because Dow didn't drop more than 50%. If next time, it drops 60-70%, the leveraged fund may never get back to previous levels. And your most of your life savings could be wiped out. This is certainly not a good recommendation for beginners.

The reasoning in the book is also flawed. For example, it says the down turn in 2001 is probably the worst in life time because the Nasdaq drops 78%. But the trading strategy is not about Nasdaq, it is about Dow or mid cap 400. These two were not hit very hard in 2001.

If you are a beginner, just use the book as a starting guide, don't really invest the money as the book suggested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable, must-have information for all investors, January 27, 2008
I just finished reading the 2008 edition of this book and found it terrific. Some of the material was basic so I skipped it. But if someone is new to investing, this information would be worth its weight in gold to them.

Kelly gives the reader the investing strategies of several top investors. While they're different in some very substantial ways, it allows the reader to choose his own style or begin to develop one.

For example, one famous investor keeps a stock no matter what. It can go very low and he'll buy even more. He says that by buying more, his average cost goes down. Which it does if you watch it in your own portfolio.

Yet another investor sells when a stock goes down eight percent and another sells at fifteen percent loss.

I think knowing when to sell is perhaps harder than knowing when to buy. I have to problems buying a stock and doing the research. It's knowing when to sell that gives me trouble. So I enjoyed reading about the different styles and trying to get a grip on it. The main thing, according the book, is to know in advance when you'll sell. Decide why you bought the stock in the first place. Then, when and if the stock no longer meets those criteria, sell.

I had one small issue with the book and that's the fact it didn't deal much with ETFs. Of course, ETFs are stocks to a large extent. But one can't judge them by the same criteria in that some of the inner holdings may retain your criteria while one or two others may not.

But this small, easy to read book covers it all. It's a full course in the stock market and is good for investors at all levels. There are very few investors who would not benefit from reading this book.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most valuable book i've ever read, March 10, 2009
While reading this book, it became very obvious that I was investing my money the wrong way. The investing mistakes discussed were exactly the things I was doing wrong.

I now have a CLEAR understanding of how to determine what stocks to buy and when. Seriously, DO NOT buy another stock without reading this book first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Investor's fundamental guide, January 22, 2009
I do my own personal investing in the stock market both in the Philippines and U.S. and I find this book incredibly helpful on the area of fundamental analysis namely the P/E and P/BV ratios, EPS and many others. Although the book is lacking in the technical analysis which is the real intention of the book as stated, it has done a great deal of helping me save possible losses in the chaotic times of the year 2008 when every single stock was tumbling down, by coming up with ideas and guidelines that made me decide putting up most of my money in the sidelines. At the worst, my portfolio has just diminished by an estimated 8% only as compared to the averaged portfolio losses of 40%.

The book reminded me to focus more on the financial aspects of the company namely --

Cash Position - To have sufficient cash to pass thru the crisis.
The higher the cash ratio, the better.

Debt to Equity ratio - The fewer the debts the better. Companies
tend to weather the storm easily if they have less
burdens.

Profitability - Consistent progressive earnings thru the years
coupled with new innovations to sustain that growth.

Current Ratio, Payout ratio, Capital Investments ...

The wisdom from the famous investors mentioned in the book such as the great Buffett, Peter Lynch, O'Neal and so forth, make me understand that to have a good grasp of the fundamentals means a much better sound investment, which would eventually reap good profits through time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to start looking..., September 7, 2009
Dustin Owen (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a few years ago, and it was the first book I read about stocks. I loved it, it gave me a basic understanding of the subject, and encourage me to invest for myself. I always intended on being a trader, not an investor, but this book still gave a lot of value to me. Now, when people ask me about stocks I just offer them to borrow this book from me.

I don't think the book will give you what you need to be a great investor, but the platform in which to build from. The basic concept of what is going on. So buy this book if you have no experience, and want an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to stock market investing, August 12, 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
The author argues that people should own stocks for two reasons: 1) because they allow individuals to own successful companies, and 2) because they've been the best investments over time. This book is a great and simple introduction to stocks. It explains the basic concepts such as how stocks trade, preferred stocks vs. common stocks, dividends, stock splits, IPOs, and investment philosophies.

Chapter 2 features investment masters such as Warren Buffett, Peter Lynch, Philip Fisher, Benjamin Graham, and many others. All of these managers have different styles and readers can learn that it is possible to make money and be different.

Chapter 5 discusses topics such as choosing the right discount broker and placing orders. Chapter 6 is the most valuable chapter in my opinion. The author shows investors how to research stocks and what tools to use. Without good research, nothing matters. This book provides a good introduction to stock market investing, and I highly recommend it to beginning investors.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

5.0 out of 5 stars It all made sense!!, November 23, 2008
Chad Smith (Fort Myers, FL) - See all my reviews
Jason Kelly knows how to teach! He's also accessible via his website and the "Kelly Letter". If you're a beginner you owe it to yourself to get this book. I'm sure you'll want to sign up for his inexpensive letter as well. Five Stars!!! Just order the book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Overview Of Investing Information, August 8, 2008
This is a great little book for a beginning investor. I've purchased it for friends who've expressed an interest in learning about the process. It gives all the basics so that a person can further explore areas and methods of investing that fit their personal requirements from investments.

It is not comprehensive. For instance, it doesn't talk about GARP (Growth at a Reasonable Price) methods. If it were it would be a much larger and more complex book, however. It serves its purpose quite well and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get started in investing with stocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little hidden gem for investing., August 4, 2008
I bought this book after reading some recommendations around the net, the price was certainly attractive. Not knowing what you are going to get, I don't often like to spend $50+ on some of the investment books that are out there.

I've done some trading in the past and was looking for information on shorting stocks (since in the current market everything is going down). The book covered the concept in brief, which did answer my questions about how shorting works.

It is quite an easy read, and is not weighted down technical mumble jumbo.

I was excited by some of the examples in the book, particularly the way the author clearly explains the work done by O'Shaughessy and his analysis of historical stock performance. When placed out clearly in a chart it is simply amazing to see the difference a couple of % can make when compounded over a number of years. The difference is millions of dollars!

For the price of the book, you can't go wrong with this one. If you are trying to calculate the return on investment, the $10 spent on this book should return dividends for years to come!

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing
The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly (Paperback - December 18, 2007)
Used & New from: $1.55