Customer Discussions > Need (Need Pixies, Book 1) forum

Need - Appropriate?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2009 7:14:21 PM PDT
D. Skidmore says:
Is Need appropriate for an 11 yr old girl?

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 6:18:08 PM PST
Krej says:
i think, but you might not find it all that interesting. I hated it, personally and didn't even have the will to finish it. So, I wouldn't recommend reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 4:32:43 PM PST
Joanne says:
I read it first and passed it on to my 11 year old without any qualms. It is very clean with only some minor kissing, if I recall. We read it last summer. I just finished Captivate which is the sequel and thought it was even better, also very clean. It's a fun story, lots more action in book 2 with a new romantic interest. Yes it has that Twilight feel to it but it is not the same story. I would also recommend The Dark Divine, Beautiful Creatures and Shiver for her if she likes this type of reading.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 11:56:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2010 11:57:10 PM PST
ChibiNeko says:
Yes & no. The book is mostly family friendly, except with one particular scene in the book.

SPOILERS!!

In one scene Zara discovers that her dad is really a pixie & that her mom had to consent to it or he'd keep eating & killing boys. Zara immediately (and correctly) sees the situation as a rape, only for her gran to say "it wasn't rape, she consented". It squicked me out that a book character would try to say that consent under duress made the sex a consensual encounter. Consent under duress is still rape.

Other than that, the book is pretty squeaky clean as far as sex goes & the violence in the book is mild in comparison to what is currently in the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 2:20:38 PM PDT
Emily says:
I agree,it wasn't a good read!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Sep 16, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Need
Need by Carrie Jones (Audio CD - August 20, 2009)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (338)