Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 13, 2010
The main think this book has going for it is - It's the only thing out their on the topic of press releases!
The whole book can be reduced to 3-4 chapters of useful information! All the rest is filler and fluff.
The book is like a cheap advertisement for PRWEB. PRWEB is a pay site for press releases. The author mentions this site at least 1-2 times per page!!! after awhile you just get sick of the cheap plugs for this site!
Their is some good stuff in this book you just have to weed your way around to find it !!!
33 comments9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2010
We are launching a new website ([...] - Janet would be proud of me for getting that in) within the next couple of weeks and were getting desperate for finding a way of getting the word out - until we discovered Janet's book. The content section (not including the excellent appendixes), is only 100 pages, but I've got more than a dozen sticky notes marking critical information and insight on those pages. This book is an outstanding resource for those of us who are PR novices. Janet thinks PRweb is about the best thing since sliced bread (I hope she is getting a commission from them - her endorsement is so strong that the reader would be a fool not to at least check out their offerings), but my guess is that that endorsement has come as a result of positive usage on her part. I had a question about a press release list I was about to use so emailed Janet to ask if she thought it wise and she got back to me within 24 hours - and not just a one line note. She took the time to respond to my question at length. I recommend her book - and her - highly.
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2009
Writing a press release is no longer for the press. Janet breaks down exactly how to write a press release for the web. She shows you how to increase your Google ranking and promote your press release using various social media tools.
on September 19, 2009
I'm still amazed by the timing of this book. I am about to launch a website and was debating how to go about PR in the most effective way. This book cracks the whole world of online PR wide open. In Chapter 2 "Online PR Defined", I learned the differences between online versus traditional PR. I realized that what I really need now is online PR because I'm interested in building traffic by reaching "customers, bloggers and websites." Before reading this book, I wasn't quite sure about PRWeb. After reading it, I'm convinced it's the way to go (and I checked that Janet is not employed with PRWeb since she admits to being a fan and recommends it throughout).

You also learn all the tactics for optimizing an online press release from how to make it more newsworthy to writing catchy headlines to adding keywords. I didn't know that there are now "social media press releases," not to mention free distribution sites. The list of online references and advice you get makes this book a complete steal!
on December 30, 2011
Janet Meiners Thaeler has written a simple, easy to follow guide to help small business owners and entrepreneurs to better understand the world of on line public relations. This book contains a lot of good tips and it answers some of the basic questions about media coverage on the web. I have spoken to Janet and communicated with her by email. She is straightforward and very professional.
on September 22, 2009
I've tried a few press releases before, but after reading this book I realized there's a lot more I can do to maximize this marketing tool! This book gives me all the details to using press releases in a whole new way, I'm really excited to use what this book shares! I'm going to recommend this book to anyone starting a new business or trying to grow their existing business online.
on October 20, 2009
I purchased the book the other day and find that it is succinct and easy to read and covers a lot of material quickly and in easy-to-read format. Nice job!
on February 8, 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book and it took me just some hours to finish it. It's pretty short, that is why I put only four stars. I think Janet should do as we musicians do - go digital and cut the price :) It will give the book five stars.

To make story short: author covers cover explain you how to write press release and make it catchy, how to spread it online (difference between payable and free services), how to use SEO and some other tips and tricks.

Highly recommended for novice entrepreneurs embracing Web opportunities.
on December 11, 2012
Janet Thaeler's book has become my go-to-resource for writing press releases. It's well organized, and you'll find scannable lists of what to include in every release, great even if you're an experienced writer. I also frequently use the tips on email interviewing and the suggested questions, both for press releases and also for other articles and publications I write. Good tips on using social media to promote press releases, too. Overall, great resource, five stars!
on March 30, 2010
I attended a conference where Janet was speaking. I knew I needed her book because of how clear she made the whole process seem. Purchased the book and have read through it with a mound of sticky notes of valuable info. Very clear and easy to follow for this mompreneur who can sometimes get overwhelmed with all of the details of her business. Great book Janet. Impacted my business in a huge kind of way. Thanks!