Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 22, 2014
Nine Things About the Movie “Need For Speed”

1. This movie is based on a car racing video game. So you know it’s not going to be deep.

2. It’s also basically a 2-hour long Ford commercial.

3. But the movie is actually fairly interesting. It’s more entertaining, slightly more realistic, and not as stupid as what the “Fast & Furious” movies have turned into.

4. It’s about a former race car driver named Tobey and his friends. There is an ex-girlfriend and an old rival. There’s a plot. Stuff happens. People talk. They race cars. About twenty minutes into the movie you know the rest of the story. I figured out who was going to die, which would inspire Tobey to race for justice and revenge.

5. The story is ridiculous, but the acting is decent. The main female lead was not nearly as annoying as I expected her to be. And Michael Keaton almost steals the movie as a rich weirdo that sponsors a top-secret elite car race.

6. The movie was directed by Scott Waugh, who is an actual stuntman. He hated the fact that the “Fast & Furious” movies used computer-generated cars and races. He wanted to do all the car racing for real. Computer effects were only used to erase crew members and wires.

7. Waugh used up to 40 cameras at once to capture some of the scenes. A climactic crash scene lasted 12 seconds on screen, but took six hours to prepare.

8. The movie is worth seeing for its cinematography and driving scenes.

9. We certainly don’t need two car-racing movie franchises in the world. But if we have to have one, put “Fast & Furious” in the garage and give people the “Need for Speed”.
77 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
All the things you assume about "Need for Speed" are all pretty accurate; it is juvenile, another "Fast and Furious" type movie and it is pretty much from beginning to end a car race, car chase, car crash type movie. While you may not like that type of thing, "Need for Speed" thankfully has more going on than just what its videogame origin promises. Fortunately, Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), who plays Tobey Marshall, is a fantastic and passionate actor and he's joined by an entire group of actors and characters that will stick in your mind long after the film is over.

Watching the film, I couldn't help thinking that Tony Scott and Don Simpson left a mark on the world they have left behind. I kept thinking that it had that "Top Gun", "Beverly Hills Cop", "Days of Thunder" type feel to it. Everything in the film was just larger than life with beautiful sceneries, machismo splashed with comedy and characters that are as much over-the-top as the premise of their actions. Tobey Marshall is the `Maverick' type; loaded with skill but he can't seem to control it when he needs to. Maybe my love of those great Scott/Simpson/Bruckheimer movies of the 80s clouded my vision, but I felt it and it was a good thing.

Tobey Marshall is an A-class street racer and with that comes a strange sensation that you will have to have to overcome in order to enjoy the film."Need for Speed" is based upon a videogame and with that, you have to remember that this is absurdity. You have to think of "Need for Speed" as you would have thought about the Sylvester Stallone movie "Death Race 2000" from the 70s. When Marshall and his racing partners crash and weave through normal every day traffic, you will hate them because they are the kind of people you would hate if you were driving to work on a Tuesday morning, but you have to forget that. If you can't overlook that, then you won't enjoy the film.

Despite some poorly plotted and unrealistic moments toward the end, "Need for Speed" remains a cut above the rest when it comes to action/racing films. If you're assuming that it is just a bunch of racing and ridiculousness, than you would be wrong and right. It is about racing and ridiculousness, but within that are beautifully drawn characters with passionate purpose and endless humor and excitement for what they do. The intelligence of the driving and the brilliance of the racing sequences put "Need for Speed" over-the-top. Thanks to Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots, who plays a character that most men can only dream about, "Need for Speed" is endlessly interesting and impossible not to care about.
on April 5, 2015
This is a great popcorn car flick. Not since the original Fast and Furious have I enjoyed a car movie so much. Just returned from watching Furious 7 and somewhere along the way the F&F franchise lost its way. I'm not sure what I'm watching anymore and was wishing Tom Cruise would show up to save the day!

As for Need for Speed. This movie is a car movie with plenty of great cinematography, cool cars (albeit replicas) and a decent story line. The soundtrack on Need for Speed also deserves a look on its own. Remember this is just a movie. Nothing is real in movies. It's all for great entertainment and that's all a movie like this is supposed to do!!

And I wouldn't mind a sequel at all.
on August 24, 2014
Let me put it, this way, if you are looking for a meaningful plot, a plot that you wouldn't expect, or award winning acting this isn't your movie. Given that you are looking at Need for Speed....you should already know this isn't going to be that kind of movie. What the movie does have is plenty of action, some incredible cars, and Aaron Paul (too bad he doesn't say the 'B" word for you Breaking Bad fans). If you like Fast and the Furious, you will most likely enjoy this film. If you want to watch the next Academy Awards winner for best motion picture...keep looking.
on May 23, 2015
This movie was Great! I seen Need For Speed in 3D when it was in the theaters! This movie filled the void that The Fast & Furious movies did since Furious 7 was under production. If you are familiar with the video games, the movie is a lot like it. In particular, this movie has elements of Need For Speed The Run. Good Video Game based Movie. If you like cars you'll enjoy this!
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2014
I had no idea this film was based on a video game when I saw it. I was just looking for a few hours to kill so I snuck into this movie after seeing the one I paid for.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It starts off a bit slow but soon zips into high gear (pardon the pun) and shows some tremendously cool high-speed racing.

The actors infuse their stock characters with enough nuance and depth to make them interesting.

This ain't Shakespeare, that's for sure. But you could do a LOT worse. For a film based on a video game this movie is far, far better than you think it is.

Worth checking out.
on August 17, 2014
Video game movies are notoriously known for mostly being horrendous. Very few movies based on video games are even worth watching let alone praise worthy. First off, if you are a guy who loves cars (particularly fast ones) there is very little doubt that you will enjoy this movie. But if you are just someone who likes exciting movies you are also likely to enjoy this movie.

In all honesty I didn't think this was going to be any good at all. I thought Aaron Paul was just trying to ride out his Breaking Bad fame before being typecast and pushed out of Hollywood altogether, I was wrong. I'm a guy who loves cars (particularly fast ones) and I liked this movie even better than the last couple Fast and Furious flicks. The racing scenes were incredible and literally got my adrenaline going. There are several great twists you may not see coming, in addition to a fitting cameo from the recently resurfaced Michael Keaton.

If you are looking for a fun and exciting movie, give this one a go. Odds are if you aren't expecting much out of it you will probably be surprised. Pro-tip: If you have a good surround system, crank this one, the engine roars are sure to get your heart pumping.
on August 27, 2014
The cars... Oh the awesome cars... This movie is worth the time if nothing else but to watch the amazing stunt driving in million dollar cars. I loved the relationship between the characters but there were a few missed opportunities to make better.
the only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the fact that they were racing across the country and the pit crew always seemed to be there. If they were driving so fast, how could a gas truck keep up?
on March 27, 2016
I love this movie and couldn't wait to own my own copy, however, I'm only giving this one 4 stars, not because of the movie, which I still love, but because the Free HD version could only be added to ITunes (which I seldom use) or Amazon, which I use but prefer to have my movies in Flixster. If this keeps happening I'll probably start buying my movies elsewhere. I know yesterday I bought the last of the Hunger Games movies and paid $4 extra to buy it at Costco because I was afraid I'd be stuck with it in Amazon and then the trilogy wouldn't all be in the same place. Not sure what you have to do to be aware of that but I'm going to start paying closer attention.
on August 21, 2014
Partially filmed in my city. I had to take "the long way" to work for a week while they shot the bridge explosion scene. That was a pain but seeing the movie I think it was worth it. There was no CGI at least in that crash scene, that car really flipped over the bridge and landed on the bank of the Chattahoochee river in flames. It is mindless entertainment but it is very well done and we all need some brain downtime every now and then.