Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Platform: PC DownloadEdition: StandardChange

on February 18, 2011
This is the fist game I've ever downloaded using this option, first of all, I have no problems with the download manager at all. even though I reboot my PC two or three times before the game was downloaded completely. The price as my tittle says is very very affordable. Second of all, the game is amazing, good graphics, a lot of playable options and the online games are just challenging.
Finally, I recommend this game to every NFS junkie.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2011
I remember purchasing "Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit" in 1999. It quickly became my favourite racing game. Why? Because it was a little different than other racing games: You had to deal with the police(!) Or you could choose to police the highway yourself. Same thing here, only a lot better graphics (the in-game images speak for themselves). I think driving games that are only about doing laps as quickly as possible (like most racing games), can easily become a bit boring. But when the game is also about having to outrun the police, it all gets a bit more exciting. But the police isn't easy to outrun here. The police in this game have cars that most people would kill for. I mean, the police are driving a Lamborghini(!) And the combination of black, white, red and blue just looks so cool on it. When driving as the police, speeders are nailed by simply ramming into them until the meter reaches zero, but you can also bust them by using electromagnetic pulse, spikestrips, calling in a roadblock or a police helicopter. The same thing goes if you drive as the speeder (except roadblock and helicopter, they are thus replaced with jammer and turbo). This game is both visually and audibly stunning, but what really makes this game great is the selection of cars to choose from. WOW! Here are some of them:

*Bugatti Veyron (insane car with a top speed of 267.85 mph)
*Lamborghini Reventon (the best looking car in the game in my opinion, in fact the best looking car ever)
*Koenigsegg Agera (I would have liked it if it wasn't for the fact that I don't like swedish cars)
*Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 Super Veloce (like the name says: Superfast (Super Veloce))
*Audi R8 5.2 fsi quattro (OK car)
*Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren (More than just OK)
*Koenigsegg CCX (swedish crap, no just kidding)
*Dodge Viper (OK car)
*Chevrolet Corvette (OK car)
*Pagani Zonda (an italian alternative to Koenigsegg)
*Porsche 911 Targa (OK car)
*Mclaren F1 (More than just OK)
*Bentley Continental GT (both fast and heavy)
*Aston Martin One-77 (let's just say it's on the expensive side)

These are just some of the vehicles. They will come available as you progress through the game. Note: There are not just supercars in this game. More regular sedans are also available. I also recommend just cruising around the Seacrest-desert in a Lamborghini Reventon while listening to "Benny Benassi Feat. Garry Go - Cinema". The free roaming-mode here is great.

Bottom line: Forget about Gran Turismo....
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2010
The Hot Pursuit games of the Need For Speed series were always my favorites. This iteration is very fun to play despite some issues. The goal is not only to win races but also elude the cops. It's the same concept from the previous games. The ability to deploy spike trips, jammers, EMP's and turbos give you the ability to dish it out to the cops is a nice addition. But the recharging nitrous booster could have been left out. The graphics are very good by X-box 360 standards, but do not take full advantage of today's PC hardware. This probably because this is a direct port from the console version.

The controls can't be customized especially steering and braking sensitivity. This makes the controls a little twitchy. It's really optimized for the X-Box 360 controller. Car physics are really simplified. It seems that every car under steers and drifts through every turn no matter how little braking and turning is applied. There are many cars but there seems to be very little difference between them in handling and braking.

The multi-channel sound is used well. You can hear the sounds of cars whizzing by you from front to back. The sound of your own car seems oddly muzzled though. It lacks customization beyond changing the sound effects, voice and music levels. I would have like to hear the sound of the engine more.
Despite these issues, this game is still a blast. You have lots of cars to unlock as you move through the game (sorry NO FERRARI). The free drive mode helps you practice the routes in different cars without any consequences. The crash animations a la Burnout are spectacular.

On the whole, its a good game but if you have a console, you're better off getting the console version.

Pros: Graphics visuals, high speed chases, large selection of the fastest cars.

Cons: lack of customization, arcade driving physics, too much reliance on nitrous
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
I remember playing NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on my friend's computer and thinking it was the coolest dang thing in the world. I soon caught wind of this new version and was captivated by the graphics and options it presented. I got it for $17.97 at the time, which was an awesome price. It was the first real online PC game I have ever bought. I immediately fell in love. The graphics are just as promised: AMAZING!!!! It has some of the fastest cars in the world, and some that you see on a daily basis, but either way, this game is great fun. You either play as a racer and smash the crap out of cops, or play as a cop and smash the crap out of racers. It's pretty self-explanitory. IGN said it well in their video review with, "What you see is what you get, it just so happens that what you get is pretty darn awesome." There is no story. You just race. I like the refreshing take on racing without all the special racing politics like teams taken out. It has a ton of achievements to get and many cars to choose from which keeps you interested. It also has a very nice online client server so you go head to head with friends or complete strangers. This also adds to the fun factor. Another thing I really liked is the lack of glitches. The PC is plagued with glitches in so many ways, but this game seems to have evaded the issue. Now, it is a relatively demanding game and you might be disappointed if you have anything less than an entry-level gaming rig. Spend some time with the minimum system requirements before you buy. Also, this game works quite nicely with a USB xBox 360 controller. I strongly recommend this, or a steering wheel and pedals for this game. I don't know how people can drive with a keyboard, but I can't. So, that's what I have to say about Hot Pursuit. It's a great game with no glitches and great features. It is an incredible game.
on November 18, 2010
I am a huge fan of the Need for Speed games (NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 is one of my favorite) and I have been having a lot of fun playing this new version. As far as car handling goes it feels like arcade racing done right. It took me some time to get used to how to drift around turns (I'm still not the best at it yet) but when you get it right it is awesome.

Here are the little issues I have noticed:
-In a couple areas (if you are looking close enough) you can tell the game could have used more polish.
-Free roam is just that: you can just drive around. Racers can't run across cops and get chased and cops can't happen across racers and go in for a bust.
-Graphics options are limited, which goes to show that the game is really a port from console version.
-When you use a wheel there is a very large dead zone. It's rather annoying but you do get used to it.

Overall the game is great and is a lot of fun and I think worth the full price. If you get it cheaper then it's an even better deal.
on May 11, 2011
Sadly enough, Amazon's description of this game incomplete, or I wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot pole. Got burned in the past, so this time I made sure to call Amazon customer support and ask them; they said that I will get to download the installation package and will be able to install it whenever I want. WRONG!

First of all, I should note that the amazon digital downloader program sucks. I tried to download the game to my personal laptop, and that's where the trouble started. The site said, "file size 8.7GB". Fine, I freed up 10GB on my drive (yes, my drive is not all that large, as it's an SSD). The app downloaded the 8.7GB file and... gave me the message: "You need to free up 2 GB on your hard drive". So I did. Still same message. I did free up some more... now the message started giving me different numbers every time I hit "Retry". Oh my, who wrote that thing? I had to free up 20 GB and delete the already downloaded package and re-download it all in order to finally get the installation files. Gosh, Amazon, you CAN properly warn me beforehand how much space I need, can't you?

OK, with that out of the way, I try to launch the game installer. "Please insert the CD into drive \:" -- What the hell? There's no CD! It's a digital distribution, dammit!

Starting to troubleshoot, I looked through the documents in the game installer's folder. And of course, there they are: "GAME REQUIRES INTERNET CONNECTION TO ACTIVATE", "NUMBER OF ACTIVATION IS LIMITED", blah blah blah. Amazon, your game description does not say that! It says it needs Internet connection for multiplayer, doesn't say anything about activation! And I called you and asked you and I was told it doesn't! When I buy a game, I want to keep it, regardless of whether Amazon or EA goes out of business and shuts down their activation servers. I still have my Wing Commander floppies from 1995, and they still install just fine, without all that crap.

Now, there's at least one good thing about Amazon digital orders: they DO give you the refund if you are pissed off enough. I was.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
I've been a huge NFS fan since 1998 and have bought all their titles. I'm usually really happy with the NFS racing games, but this one is a HUGE dissapointment. Not because the game isn't any good, it because the PC version of the game is SO buggy and crashes on most people's systems.
Where to begin. First off it was ported over from the console verison there's no support for AA or AF, just rez adjustment, high rez textured on/off, motion blur on/off, and shadows. BUT HERE'S THE BIG PROBLEM; if you have a multi core CPU (tri, quad, or six) don't expect to even be able to PLAY the game. It's constantly crashes before starting a race & during a race. I have to go into my BIOS and turn off all but core 0 on my Q9550, and even with my new GTX 470, game play is horrible, choppy, hesitations, freeze ups. And that's with only 2x AA and no AF. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to get this game to run better. Latest drivers for everything from my MB, graphics, audio.
I've been trying to work with EA tech support on their obvious problem with the PC verison of the game. If you read the EA forums many many people with all kinds of configs are having this same problem, game crashes right after you pick a car and before the race starts. All these people have different systems, so it's not one particular thing, like drviers, it's doing this on AMD & Intel multi core CPU's, Nvidia and ATI cards of all kinds. I can't believe EA would put out such a buggy POS of a game. I loved Shift, the graphics were awesome, this game, so far, sucks! Bottom line, if you really want this game buy it for a console if you have one. If you're like me, I know there's not a console out there that can hold a candle to my gaming system, and I prefer playing games on the PC. But, don't buy this game for the PC unless you want a boat load of frustration. Also, under Win 7, you have to force it to run in compatiblity mode (XP SP-3) and set to run as admin.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2012
I have two computers, my primary and a back-up, so I thought I'd have no concern over the 5 activation limit. But having the game installed on just these computers, I SOMEHOW EXCEEDED MY LIMIT. The game had prompted an activation screen, in which my code was still input there. I clicked next, but it said my activations were exceeded and to contact support through the website. Well after navigating in circles through their website, no help was available. I did find one web page which had options for CALL ME (not available), LIVE CHAT (not available), or EMAIL ME (greyed out, could not click). What a JOKE!

To be clear, I never uninstalled or reinstalled the game. I only made the mistake of buying a game that had limited installations. Never again!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2012
I downloaded and installed this on a Windows 7 64-bit machine (w/ Nvidia GT 440) without a hitch, and it has been running without a single hiccup. It does want to connect to the Internet every time it starts up, but lets you play in free-drive mode without a connection. With Logitech game controller, is easier to drive in cockpit view - with external views it there is a tendency to over-control without a lot of practice. Sounds and visuals very realistic. Can't beat it for the price. Highly recommended.
on April 26, 2011
I grew up on Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. This game for the PC is a great addition to the series. The best graphics of any racing game I've played, along with scores of hot modern cars and an open-ended free-run map make this game great. There are all sorts of little intricacies like day/night cycle, headlights, and ignition that show the dedication of the developers.

I hope to see more content added to the game, as the map is set in a way that allows for expansion.