on November 1, 2012
I really wanted to like this game...probably one of the games I have been looking forward to the most. I have played every need for speed game in the franchise. Like others have already said, this isn't just a remake of the old most wanted. Yes, there are cops that chase you, and you do kind of get to customize your cars. The real problem with this game is the most important aspect of any racing game, and that is the control of the cars. This game is AWFUL with the control. The best way I can explain it is when you try to steer left or right, there's like a lag or something. It's just really not responsive. I am using a 360 controller.

Also, I've seen other reviews on here saying that the frame rates are terrible. Let me clear this up. Yes, I have noticed some frame rate drops, but not terrible ones. I haven't done actual testing, but I would guess going from a constant 50-60fps, and the drops go down to maybe 30 at the lowest. Someone else said the graphics look old. This is also untrue. This game LOOKS fantastic! I am running an AMD Phenom II x4 3.4ghz cpu, 8gb of ram, and a Sapphire Radeon 7950 graphics card.

I also read some other reviews that said the game sucks. Again, I disagree. I think they have done everything in a nice, new, refreshing style. Let it be known, I loved the Hot Pursuit game by them, and also The Run. Really, the only thing holding me back from this game receiving a 5 star rating is the poor handling of the cars, and just a little bit discouraged by the frame drop. Not a huge thing, and I am serious about when games have frame rate drops. It's really not that bad.

Oh, on a side note, I was thinking maybe the car was handling like crap at first because I was at the beginning of the game and it was just that car. Turns out to not be true...I have like five or six cars now and you just can't help but to constantly smash into either other cars, walls, or every freaking light pole on the side of the street.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2012
I grew up with the NFS franchise. The games were always great. The series peaked 3 times equally: Porsche Unleashed because of its attention to historical detail and physics, Underground 2 for taking all that was good about Underground and then adding an open-world environment, and then Most Wanted for taking what UG2 did, and simply removing the boring bits and enhancing the best ones. After Most Wanted, things started to slide. Carbon was okay, but then the series went off a cliff. Undercover had the worst environment detail ever with even less plot, Hot Pursuit simply was not made for people who have ever driven a car in real life (keep in mind all NFS games were great BECAUSE they were arcadey, but predictable and had linear handling), The Run wasn't even finished, and then we get this, Most Wanted 2, for all intents and purposes. Without question, this is the most disappointing game of the entire franchise. Why? It's not the worst in full, but since it meant to update the original and is absolutely terrible, it loses even more points. Let's get started:

Graphics
Quite outstanding, actually. The port is just fair, but the game is actually nice to look at. Not up there with Hot Pursuit, but still nice. Doesn't matter though as the remainder of this review will show you.

Handling
There is none. Cars do not behave like cars, they all behave exactly the same which is something like a cross between a yacht and driving on an ice rink. Accelerating is fine. Braking is fine. Turning? You turn by hitting the handbrake and going into a preposterous slide. This would be fine if it was like Burnout, but there is no correlation between how much you slide and how fast you were going. If you try to brake normally and turn, the car reverts to boat mode. This game makes Cruisin' USA look like a simulator. I can put this another way: it is as though the handling model simply was not finished, but they wanted to get this game out for what...the on-Halloween season?

Gameplay
Gone are the days of racing for cash to buy cars and upgrades. Instead, you, with zero back story, start in an Aston Martin and are told to simply drive up to a Porsche, press a button, and then you can drive it. Yes, you find cars scattered throughout the city, but you aren't rewarded for your task. No. Instead, you just can swap cars on the spot as though you already own them all. Speaking of which, you can even do this when being chased by the police. Have 8 cruisers on you? No problem, hop out of your 911 and get into a Shelby Mustang and you'll hear on the radio "Suspect has changed vehicles, now in pursuit of grey Ford Mustang!". Keep in mind these cars are literally on the side of the road or in the middle of fields. Those familiar with NFS games will understand that the problem known as rubber-banding is worse than ever. Doesn't matter if your Gallardo is going 180mph, the basic police cruiser will still pass you as though you're standing still. The only thing more inane than this is that you can have a full head-on crash into a wall, get a message on the screen saying "CRASHED!"......and then continue your chase, but if you slow down normally, you'll get busted. This isn't like the rewind feature in The Run, it just happens. I could go on, but there's no point.

Plot
The entire game is run from a HUD saying you have x amount of points until you get to challenge the Most Wanted racer in x position. Woo hoo. So no, there is no plot, you come out of nowhere in an Aston Martin Vantage, and immediately "steal" a Porsche 911 and just hop off and start racing. I am not exaggerating, that is your first 45 seconds of gameplay.

If you have owned any NFS games in the past, let me just put it like this: this isn't one. It's a terribly made game which happens to have good looking models of cars in it. Once again, graphics have taken the front seat and actual fun fell off the top of the roof as you did a burnout to start a race (yes that is how you start races). Look elsewhere.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2012
The game is poorly optimized for PCs. Frame rate drops happen whenver you turn the camera. Im on a 2700k and gtx 680. I put the graphics on low and it still drops and hiccups and hitches. wait till the release a proper update or drivers.

Besides that I love this game. Its burnout paradise 2. As long as your cool with that, you'll enjoy this game. People expecting the original Most Wanted should just go play the 2006 game.

::UPDATE::

Four days after launch and the performance has gotten better on low settings. The most severe drops occur when inside buildings with some shadows on. Also, the higher your graphic settings, the worse the drops are. Them more chaotic your chase and multiplayer the more the game suffers. This game does not run smoothly on high settings in demanding areas. period.

high settings in multiplayer simply is not smooth.

my gut tells me its the lighting models that are killing the frame rate. but I cant back that up.

This can be considered nit-picky by some, but I'll be the first to tell you the lack of optimization does not take away from this game, its still very fun to play and I've been enjoying it since launch!

::Update 2::

40 hours into this game and I'm still loving it. The multiplayer and autolog have been keeping me busy. Unfortunately the performance issues are still there, I've been trying different settings and have found a setup that runs fairly well. Although slow downs online can't really be avoided. Ive made note of a few problem areas in Fairhaven where frames seem to dip no matter what setting I have on.

There are quite a few discussions going on out there about MWs performance and I by no means am the only one experiencing less than stellar performance.

Criterion recently said a patch is in the works.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2012
First, let me make it clear I enjoy NFS games and have since the early ones. I even enjoyed the The Run and Most Wanted and the World. I find myself wonder what the heck is this? The city of Fairhaven is great, I like the detail and exploration, it reminds me of Skyrim in its detail. My problem is with the gameplay.

Firstly, there is no car handling, you cant even tweak it or sensitivity. The cars are all over the place and handle like garbage. Now Im not a crappy driver, I own Forza Horizon, Past NFS, Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 and easily have succeeded in playing them all without sliding all over the place. It just seems to me Criteron did everything they could to make their Trademark Crash cut-scenes play often. These cut scenes are so annoying too. You cant skip them and by the time the animations finish playing, your in last place again. Real fun.

All in all, if you want to race, look elsewhere. This is a crash simulator not even a arcade racer. If you skip racing and just drive around crashing into things and exploring the city, it is fun and enjoyable, albeit shallow experience. However if you try racing, you'll likely end up annoyed and asking yourself why bother?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2012
People expecting a completely new game may be disappointed, this is definitely a Criterion made game first and foremost. The vast openness instantly reminds you of Burnout Paradise and the sheer amount of things to do and see can be overwhelming to those looking for more structured gameplay.

Right from the go you have access to all the cars available assuming you can find them parked at "jackspots" in the city. The overall "goal" is to accrue enough speed points (gained by doing everything from getting air, drifting, drafting, to winning races) to challenge the 10 "Most Wanted" drivers in the city. Progression isn't determined by taking down these rivals however, you can accrue enough speed points to take down the #1 most wanted driver without challenging any of the others. This just accentuates the open-ended[ness] of this game, it's really designed to be a giant playground, with alleys, ramps, cliffs, billboards, gates, and cars to explore and find.

The multiplayer aspect is very well done, using the improved autolog from past NFS games (and similar to Burnout Paradise's functionality) you can get online with up to 7 others and compete in a series of challenges ranging from team races to trying to get the entire team on top of a hard to reach spot. It really mixes up these goals well and keeps the multiplayer fresh. Changing vehicles in multiplayer is as simple as pulling up your autolog and picking a new one on the fly. Some events require you to be in certain types of cars, and if you drive up to a meet in the wrong car it will automatically adjust your ride accordingly. This is different than in single player, where choosing a vehicle means setting your waypoint marker to go to that jackspot, or warping to where you found that vehicle (some vehicles are found in multiple spots). The car selection is varied with ~50 models overall, from the Ford F-150 Raptor to the Pagani Huayra there's something for everyone.

Aside from the changing of vehicles in single player, other things that some may see as nitpicks include the way you upgrade your car. This is done by completing a set of 5 events for each car, so every time you hop in a new ride you have to complete a race to unlock nitro, or aero bodykit for example. The events are varied for each car even though some do repeat, these include races, sprints that have a target average speed, and avoiding the cops. Speaking of the cops, they did a really good job of keeping them fair in this game. They're not incredibly easy to evade but not so overwhelming to the point of frustration. Getting caught also only means that you don't get to keep the speed points that you racked up during the pursuit.

As far as the PC port is concerned, I am having little to no trouble overall with performance on a i7 870 @ 3.6, 8gb ddr16000, and a gtx 560 Ti. I did have some crashing issues until I updated to the latest beta nvidia drivers (310.33), have played for 5+ hours no problem now.

In a nutshell if you like breakneck speed in licensed cars, a vast city to explore, driving around with your buddies, and basically just having fun from point A to point B you'll enjoy this game, even if it is "Paradise 2" with NFS vehicles.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2013
So, I have played need for speed for years, and was stuck on the previous NFS:MW from like 2005. So, when i saw this one, i had to preorder it. To give you an idea of how stoked i was, i havnt pre-ordered a game since halo 3. I was way looking forward to it because of the experience i had on the previous version. I still play the original quite often because i enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. Then the game was released. I have put in a total of like 5 hrs on it and most of that was trying to see if it would get better. I really wanted to give it a chance, after all, i blew quite a bit of money on it. The only problem was, i felt like it took every aspect of the game i loved and threw it out the window. The handling took forever to get used to, and seemed almost like they were going for a more realistic feel(in a game that is obviously not realistic, i wasnt buying gran turismo). It doesnt even feel realistic either, more like a melding of the two that leaves it just a pain to use. I loved the first NFS:MW because there was a great story to it. This one, however, i have yet to see anything that resembles a story. I thought at first that i would be excited about being able to pick up whatever car i came across. And for the first hour it was really cool to see what stuff was out there. Then, of course, I got most of the cars immediately available and suddenly i had no goals. Yes, i could go for the most wanted list, but what incentive was there for that? The upgrades for your cars arent that spectacular. There was no story to move you forward. I felt really no inclination to do anything beyond running away from the cops(tough though it is because of the handling). Im sorry if i seem negative, but the only experience i really was basing it on how it was compared to the previous NFS:MW. If this is supposed to be progress, i will gladly stick with my 2005 version. Wish i could give back the game, but its digital. Got me hooked long enough to get me to buy it, but lets me down an hour later. If you are looking at all for the experience of the first NFS:MW, DO NOT buy this game. You will only end up disappointed.
on November 1, 2012
TL;DR:
This title shouldn't really belong to the NFS series. The gameplay style is too different.
Multiplayer is based on aggression. Weight of chance is significantly higher than skill. The only feeling you can get is hate other players.

Longer version:
I'll never buy another NFS series. I'm so disappointed that I gave $50 to EA for basically nothing and more frustration than fun.
First, the single player. The previous NFS series have had smooth skill-leveling curves that it always starts being really easy and smoothly transitions to more and more challenging races. In this NFS:MW, right after 4 races I start feeling that it was difficult. And I consider myself to be pretty skilled at the previous NFS series. Not one of the top, but I don't suck. But this game's single player makes me feel like I suck.

You have to drive for 3 miles to start a race. And whether you're free roaming or racing, if you slam into a traffic car even at slow speeds, you get a "Crashed" screen for quite a few seconds that makes you want to say "OMG WTF". At least in NFS:The Run they let you restart from the most recent checkpoint. In NFS:MW, the traffic is at a record high, and if you aren't used to avoiding traffic, this will end up frustrating to you.

Multiplayer is just terribly designed. One full round of multiplayer takes about 30 minutes, and more than half of that time is spent waiting for everyone to come to the "MEET UP" area. And it's not like during meet up people get to chat about random stuff (which would be okay). You have no text chat; all you have is a voice chat in which the only players who speak speak in a language, probably Korean, that's impossible to understand. It's also very difficult to discover how to even turn off voice chat. The only way I've found is to go into the menu and mute each player individually. And then when a new player comes in you gotta listen through their half-broken mic again...

So during the meet up time, what people do is slam each other. Because if you manage to slam someone who is standing still while you are at high speeds, you will take down that player and you get extra points! That's not just during race; it's ANY time in the event. So at no time will you rest, and at no time will you have a *friend* in the game (except team race, but that is pretty much only saying that if you slam into your teammate neither of you gets taken down). During any game pretty much any player will get taken down 10 - 30 times, so this can get very frustrating. When you are just trying to get through the corner someone just slams into you and it really just feels like "WTTTFFF". I mean sure, if you are skilled you can slam more players, but really, the frustration significantly outweighs the fun.

Speed in multiplayer is pretty much useless. If you manage to get through a race without hitting any traffic car, you are #1. Or ok, #2. But that's it. And if you are #2 at some point and you suddenly hit a car, now you're #8. So, either be super skilled, or pray you're lucky.

So how can you ever have a friend in multiplayer? There's no cooperation. Your score is solely based on others' misfortune. It isn't like other competitive multiplayer games in which you can at least improve in skill. This game's multiplayer is too random. You can't walk out of a game and feel good about it.
on November 5, 2012
This game seems to be hammered not because it's bad in itself - no, the game is actually pretty nice (of course, if you ignore all that the words "Need For Speed" ever meant" to gamers). I'm giving this two stars, because although this is a solid game, it's not Need For Speed. At least for me, Need For Speed carried that sense of pride of having that particular car, with that particular tint of paint, with those particular specs. It was the thrill of knowing that your car can take out that roadblock like there's no tomorrow, and that the cops cannot catch up unless it's heat level 5-6. It carried a sense of trust in the car - like you know that it will perform when you most need it, and that the NOS will pull you out when you fall behind.

Now comes this new installment. After the brilliant NFS:HP3 two years ago, when Criterion showed that the NFS isn't exactly dead yet and that there still is a game out there where the cops are out to get you. If anyone remembers NFS:HP2, that had no story either, so that was alright that there was no story in that new installment either.

I believe that's where the developers/EA got a little cocky. They decided to bring together the burnout formula, and merge it with the fame of the NFS series. However, that doesn't resonate with many players, and here's why:

Because when you strap on the word "NFS:MW" people expect a story, or at least gameplay that's arcade-ish but not over-the-top. When you strap-on "burnout", then people know what you're getting in. But this game is a slap in the face - it's like going to a grocery store, buying a box of brand-new chocolate-chip cookie made by your favorite brand, just to find out that it's actually Oreo re-branded. Remember how you could actually smash through a roadblock? when your momentum actually mattered? well, here you get "taken down" no matter what. You recall how if you're lucked out and run over the roadblock, you're bound to get caught, not "re-inflate" your tires magically? You recall when the game actually took time to get to better cars, and how the races were difficult? Well, this game isn't that. It's not that at all. You don't even get punished for getting caught in a pursuit. Oh, and your heat level dies off after you evade - back to zero.

You smash into traffic - that car going 40kmh throws back your car going 250+kmh against it. Umm, hello? anyone took freshman physics? if anything the car I smash into should be subjected to this... Unless, of course, people drive 10-tonne cars around the city, and all the race-cars are feather-light.

I did like Paradise City, and it's a nice game, but it's in its own smash-and-trash genre...

tl;dr: if you like burnout, and you're willing to compromise on this being realistic, then you're in for a treat. If you expect something more than a pick-up-and-play (COD-style) from this game, then go buy something else... or buy the NFS:HP3.
on November 30, 2013
First off I am not a hardcore racing game fan. I don't play Grand Turismo or hyper realistic simulation racers. I enjoy racers with fun fast moving cars, cop chases and maybe some power ups in. So Burnout and Need for speed are my bread and butter.

I have put about 4 hours into it so far and its exactly what I was expecting with one major exception. EA pushes the DLC content at you in the most blatant and annoy ways.

You get most of the cars in the game by finding them parked around the city and pulling up to them and selecting switch cards. Except when its a DLC car then it takes you to the store page and offers to sell you a DLC bundle. The worst offense by far is if your exploring the map one large section on the map you get close to and it has basically a giant glowing barrier saying "off limits unless you buy DLC".

Overall the game is good, I like how the car upgrades work, the cops are aggressive in taking you down the city is varied and interesting, lots of alternate routes and fun jumps.

That said I would not buy it unless you are also willing to buy the complete DLC pack to go along with it. Getting pulled back to the store when trying to switch cars is annoying and airport routes being visible but locked behind a buy DLC banner is very frustrating.
on January 24, 2013
I own all NFS games playable on PC. Most of their games are simply different in the way the physics and controls respond. Hot pursuit being one of the best game for controllability vs. challenge and this game is the worst of the lot. You are never really in control. The cars are constantly drifting in un predictable and uncontrollable ways. I have had this game since before Christmas and I have close to 100 hrs in it. I have all the most wanted cars and there are a few things I haven't done but I am done with the game.
Heres what I like-
A great looking game. The sandbox is small but great looking. Good lighting. Beautiful cars, buildings, structures and trees.

What I hate-
No control over the cars. They wash all over the place with no traction. I can never really feel like I am on the line I want to be on. If I make it around a curve without actually hitting anything, it's a miracle. Perform ace of the graphics are not optimized so there can be lag at bad moments when there are lot of moving objects in your field of view. Vague, sluggish steering and controls kill the fun factor. The faster you go, the more out of control you get.

Last word on this game. EA, when I pay $60 for a premium game, I get angry when you advertise in my game for DLC, Finding the Bugatti and other cars made me so angry after I found I had to pay $10 more to drive them. Nope. This isn't need for speed world. You got my money up front. I feel ripped off. Again. EA, you and I have had a love hate thing for a long time. Please have better values and goals and quit gouging me for money and earn it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...