Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Video GameChange

on October 30, 2012
Graphics: Most Wanted has plenty of pluses and minuses graphically. When I first saw this game for the first time I thought it looked outstanding. Once I got it, I was underwhelmed. It still looks good, but nothing like the videos. Edges of cars and the environment have a choppy appearance, and the city in the distance really looks like a PS1 or PS2/Xbox game. When it comes down to the races, sense of speed, and the cars themselves though, it looks fairly impressive... especially with how the framerate holds up -- for the most part -- when there are a bunch of cops and/or crashes on-screen. The temporary blindness when looking into the sunset or when coming out of a tunnel is also a nice effect. 4/5

Sound: Again, positives and negatives here. First, some positives: The cars sound awesome, especially if you have a pair of headphones for your 360 (Tritton, Turtle Beach, etc.). The way the cars echo in tunnels and in alleyways is great. It's nice to see Criterion add things like that to the game. The soundtrack, I think, is pretty good. It has a nice mix of dubstep and hard rock that only add the experience when in a race. The downside I have with the soundtrack already is that in just about 3 hours of playtime, I have heard some songs 5 times already. I'm not sure how many tracks are in the game, but my assumption is that it isn't many. If you don't like the song list, you can turn it off completely, or use your own playlist. The biggest downfall -- and it's not really a huge one -- with NFS:MW would have to be the police chatter. It's always the same routine ... "What make and model? What color? We need more cops. These guys aren't messing around. These guys are good." It's really rather redundant, and it's a shame, because it could have added a lot to the game. 4/5

Fun: My first impression of this game wasn't all that great. I was pretty underwhelmed. The more I explored the city, unlocked cars, completed races, and especially tried out the multiplayer, the more I enjoyed it. While the game only contains 41 cars, there is enough to do with each of them to keep you playing this game -- even on single player -- for quite a decent while. The biggest downfall of this game is probably the single player, surprisingly enough. It's been a lot of fun so far, but after just a few hours of playing the game, I'm almost halfway done with getting all of the Most Wanted cars. I really just wish Criterion/EA added more content to the disc. Thankfully, the multiplayer makes me forgive this lack of single player depth. The challenges in multiplayer are, for the most part, very entertaining. While the online isn't without flaws (They're rather minor things, but you'll pick up on them quite quickly if you decide to hop online), it's definitely entertaining, and playing this game without the Online Pass would take away a LOT of what Most Wanted has to offer. 4.5/5

If you have any interest in racing games, you have to get this game. After zipping through the city and thinking I had seen everything, I explored areas I had no idea existed. Fairhaven is a vast, fun city to race around in, and it's only better with friends or even randoms. It may not be without its problems, and it could use a bit more depth, but this exhilarating, essential sequel to Burnout Paradise makes Need for Speed: Most Wanted a must-buy for adrenaline junkies.

Pros: Multiplayer, variety of Fairhaven's landscapes, varied car list.
Cons: No cops in multiplayer, minor online bugs, 41 cars seems a bit low, short single-player experience.

EDIT 11/1/12: I've only had the game for two days, and while I'm still having fun with the game, I have a feeling it won't last much longer. Without trying to get all of the Most Wanted cars too quickly, I already have 9 of the 12. Not only is it easy to get the Speed Points to unlock the races, it's easy to unlock the cars as well. The city is pretty nice as I said in the original review, but I feel like it could get stale within just a few weeks because I find myself on the same major roads over and over again. The multiplayer is pretty fun, but only for about a half hour at a time. The upgrading the car thing and unlocking things for all of them the more you use them online and off is fun and all, but I'm really thinking this game ought to be about $35, and not $60. Super frantic races and events, but there just isn't enough depth, particularly in the single player.

(If you enjoyed this review, check out some others I've written at
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2012
The graphics are ok, but there is no object to the game except become most wanted. Story line, nope. Just the city has a list of most wanted racers, spoiler alert, not really the title can tell you that. Unless you want to compete to beat your friends times and their best that is all this game offers. They give you every car in the game, you don't have to earn them. All you have to do is find them. When you find them don't expect to make your new found car any different from someone else's. You can't even select the color of your car. All you can do is drive through a "Spray n Paint" and get a random color. You can't tune your car all you can do is earn different parts by racing not earning point. Don't worry if you run from the cops, the only penalty that happens is you lose the points from the pursuit you were in. But points don't really matter cause all they do is move you a little closer to the top of the most wanted list, which you can do by racing anyways.

The crash scenes are good, but the annoying flag that hangs off your car to show you what position you're in, just distracts you from driving. Is it that hard to look into the top corner to see what position your in? Do you like knowing which way to turn when you're racing? Don't except this game to show you that. Usually you have to run the race two to three times because you'r going to miss a turn and get well off track.

I was so excited to get this game, my wife was making fun of me. I was expecting a game better than or equal to the the most wanted of 2005. Instead they ruined what could have been a great game. Is it, that hard to build off of a game idea that already exist. The only people that worked hard of on the game were the people that designed the cars and sounds. And is it that hard to get some real police codes not just something they made up.

SAVE YOUR $60 AND PASS ON THIS GAME. Unless you like to just push the Right Trigger button with no idea why you should keep playing. I wish someone would have told me this
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
Hard to use with Kinect but the best 30$ i ever spent on an Xbox game. if you like racing and driving nice cars at fast speeds this is the game for you!
on October 31, 2012
The others have done a pretty good job summing it up. But needless to say, I am NOT satisfied with this game. Not one bit. To be fair, I haven't been a huge fan of NFS for a while now, but this one got me pretty excited. A friend of mine kept pressuring me to pre-order because he wanted to play online with me, so I did and got the game yesterday.

After opening the box feeling like a kid on Christmas, I was immediately disappointed in the mediocre opening scene. But hey, that's not all the important. Game play is what I truly care about. First, I spent several hours playing in single player mode to get the hang of it and explore the "open world" which really isn't all that open. The map and the game play is "OK" at best. I was actually getting pretty bored with it but wanted to practice so I could get good before playing multiplayer. The police chases were fun at first, until I figured out the cops magically appear no matter where you go. The cops can literally predict the future and read your mind, knowing exactly which street you will be driving on at any given time, which allows them to set up magic roadblocks which appear out of nowhere. The cops are pretty stealth too, as they can set up entire roadblocks without even show up on my radar. Super lame.

The handling is marginal, the braking and accelerating is marginal, everything is just marginal. Even the surrounding traffic is marginal. At one point, I was racing a Range Rover and hit an incline which brought the speed of the truck down to 55mph - about the same speed as the surrounding traffic. Really?! I know it's a Range Rover, but it's not an 18-wheeler. Let me get some speed! I wouldn't care if that was the only problem in the physics of the game, but the physics in the game leave a lot to be desired in many areas.

Multiplayer is just awful. They had some good ideas, but they didn't hit the mark. It's almost like they rushed this thing into production before it was ready. Instead of regular races, you join a session with a bunch of different mini-games. Some of the mini-games are straight up races, but about half of it includes other tasks you're supposed to perform either by yourself or as a team. In short, they failed at creating a kick-butt multiplayer mode, which it clearly could have been. Multiplayer is what I was really excited about. Once again, marginal at best and very disappointing. It also froze up twice in about 3 hours of multiplayer time.

If I could return this game and get my money back, I would. I gave Need For Speed another chance and they just proved to me that this franchise is continuing to slide downhill.

Save your money and get another game, or at the very least try it out at a friends house before you blow your money on this. I definitely have buyers remorse at the moment.

*** UPDATE ON 11/5/2012 ***

Ok, I had to come back and update my review a bit so that I can expand on the disaster they call multiplayer. I've seen a couple people say they like the multiplayer. I respect differing opinions, but I can't for the life of me figure out how this could be considered a good multiplayer game (the reason I was really excited about it).

First of all, this is not an online racing game. There are 5 events you have to complete. Of those 5 events, maybe one or two will be a race or a team race. The rest of the events are so boring or so confusing it's just a waste of time. Let's look at some examples:

Drift - The objective is to find a small area and drift around and around in circles. You just keep going round and round and round and round. Sometimes you'll run into somebody and you have to start over which is really awesome because you can keep going around in small circles some more. How exhilarating! NOT! After about 2 minutes of spinning the car around in circles, I'm ready to turn off my Xbox, but I don't, because maybe the next event will be awesome.

Longest Jump - A green diamond will appear on your map and you'll be told to go jump. Sometimes the objective is to jump the furthest distance on a single jump, other times they will combine all your jumps into the score while at other times, they will only count the number of jumps and sometimes, you only get one jump. Bottom line is, by the time people figure out what the rules are, the session is half over. And don't even think about reading the instructions that scroll on the bottom of the screen. First of all, they are useless and second of all, if you take your eyes of the road to read the instructions you'll either crash or somebody will take you out.

Jump Over Each Other - The objective in this one is to gain as much speed as you can and hit a jump. At the same time, other players will be jumping from the other direction. The objective is to jump over as many cars as possible. This would actually be fun, except once again, nobody ever understands the rules. Where exactly do you jump? What do you use as a ramp? Which direction are you supposed to jump? The end result is, the top 3 players get maybe 3 or 4 points and everyone else gets zero, because they didn't know WTF to do in the first place. This is extremely frustrating!

Park - Yes, you read that right. In one game, the objective is to go to an area which is always very difficult to find and park your car at that spot longer than anyone else. For example, your map will take you to a general area and then it's up to you to figure out where you're supposed to park, usually on top of a building. So, you get to the top of the building and that's when things get really exciting, because you don't do anything. You sit there. The longer you sit there, the more points you get. I mean, really?!? I'm driving a Ford GT and the objective for me is to park for as long as possible? THIS is fun?! Usually, the top 3 players sit up there for a couple minutes while the rest of the players get a score of zero because they couldn't figure out where to park their car. What a disaster.

Takeouts - The objective here is to ram into people and take them out. This would be fun, except by default, whoever plays the game the most will win this event every time because they will have the best car for it with the best mods because they have no life and play 24/7. So it sucks.

Racing - Every now and then, you'll get lucky enough to race. This is actually fun. Everyone is constantly getting lost because the GPS feature blows. Sometimes, there will be green arrows showing you that you're supposed to turn but not all the time. So people constantly get lost, miss checkpoints, and it's overall pretty frustrating. It doesn't matter how well you're doing in the middle of the race, either. You better pray some cross traffic doesn't get in your way during the final stretch, or else you'll lose. No skill required, just luck. Another epic failure.

This game had so much potential and they ruined it. I'm now finished playing this game and will likely go sell it at Gamestop for a fraction of what I bought it for. What a waste of time and money.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2013
I wanted to love this game so much, and the graphics are awesome (for racing), and the sense of speed is great... but under the pretty skin there's an almost total failure of game design.

UNEVEN AI. No matter how far in the lead you are or how perfectly you race, if you crash you'll fall down to 3rd or 4th, even in Easy races. But if you're a little behind, and you crash, it's virtually impossible to get back to the front even if you race perfectly. Bad balance and indecent rubber effect. This is so even on Easy races. Matter of fact, the difference between Easy, Medium, and Hard races is nearly unnoticeable after a while: they're all equally frustrating.

ABYSMAL MOST WANTED LIST MANAGEMENT. Three problems: (1) MW races are insanely difficult, which I suppose is good, but see above: the AI is just plain cheating. (2) When you win a race, you don't actually win the car! It is "released into the world" and you have to wait for it to "appear" near you and take it down to be able to drive it. That is really, really, really stupid. (3) When you eventually do get to drive a MW car, it may be hours after you won it, and by that time it's surely NOT the fastest available car. Even if you get to win it right away, chances are that by the time you've racked up enough speed points to challenge a MW list opponent, your current rig is already much faster (not that that helps you win MW races, even, given that the AI is a cheater). So why are we doing all this again? Literally the main goal of the game is useless.

IT'S NOT A RACING GAME. As others have said, this is basically Burnout with some NFS elements. There is very little "racing" and a lot of smashing and crashing. Let's leave aside, for the moment, that you crash on level geometry more than on actual obstacles. At least Burnout used to privilege good reflexes and creative trajectories, but in NFS:MW it feels like you win races by pure luck. Just try and try again until something happens that lets you win. That "something" may not even up to you to control, like the AI taken down by the cops, traffic that does or doesn't slam into you, etc. Sorry, but that's not racing. It's not even really playing, and you feel quite powerless.

ILLOGICAL OPEN WORLD DESIGN. (1) Not open enough. What's the point in having no invisible walls if there are constant checkpoints that dictate a route anyway?! Opportunities for creating new and inventive urban routes are wasted by having to abide by a completely arbitrary route, you constantly have to look to the map to know where you're supposed to turn, and if you miss a checkpoint you might as well restart the race. What is this, National Geographic Travel? (2) Too open. You don't have a garage, safehouse, or any place where to organize and display your car collection. In fact, you never really own cars at all, but just steal and drive them if and where you find them. Isn't that what GTA is for? (3) You can't start races when they're first introduced, but must drive to them. Yes, even if they're 10 miles away and it takes you 10 minutes of boring traffic-dodging to get there. Helloooo? Even RPGs have fast-travel systems!

COP CHASES ARE BORING. In the original 2005 Most Wanted, cop chases were tough to beat and escalated with heat level, but here they're easy, nail strips are clearly marked on the ground by yellow puffs of smoke (LOL! right), and there's no major difference between police cars (remember those cop Corvettes, armored SUVs, and helicopters? I had nightmares about those!). Moreover, two of MW's best features -- the cooldown hiding spots and the chase breakers -- have been partially or completely excised from this game.

COP CHASES ARE USELESS. If you escape you get "speed points," which is fair enough... but forget about those million-dollar bounties from the 2005 Most Wanted, where a truly long and awesome escape basically bought you a new car: here, the points are meager and you feel like you worked for nothing. And if you're busted... get this... NOTHING HAPPENS TO YOU. Your car doesn't get impounded, you don't lose your speed points, you don't lose jack. In the 2005 MW being busted was reason enough to reload a previous save, but here you're just back to a jack zone like nothing happened. You even get speed points when you've been busted three or more times!! Talk about making games easier and more accessible to, you know, children.

LACKLUSTER CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS. Custom stuff is unlocked by placing in or winning races, which I suppose is fair, but all custom stuff is tied to the individual car. That means that whenever you get a new car, not only is it stock (as it should be), but most upgrades aren't even unlocked!! I don't know about you, but unlocking nitrous boost ten times is really boring. Also, remember all the cool custom shop decals and colors and rims and spoilers from 2005? Yeah forget about it. Here, you just drive through a mechanic shop that picks a random paint color for you. Yes, even in the middle of a race. And if you're being chased by the fuzz at that time, you hear them say things like "suspect description is updated: the car is now orange." I'm serious. I don't even want to talk about it. I'm still choke-laughing myself to death.

FRUSTRATING HUD. The idea of an in-game overhead menu is great, but it's very poorly realized. Everything is text-based, the game doesn't pause, and the menu options stay on the screen for five second tops, after which they're automatically hidden... which means that you can't even study the specs on your car and compare/contrast them with other cars' without having to exit and re-enter the menu at all times. That, plus the fact that there is NO GAME MAP (and, consequently, no GPS options) is 100% intolerable in 2013.

A near-complete waste of $40 and the worst-spent 15 hours of my gaming year so far.
on February 14, 2013
Love this game. The open world play ,beating up on the cops and the multiplayer modes are fantastic.A must have for all NFS fans!!
on December 6, 2012
Very fun game, loved the cars and running from the cops! Glad I bought the game, I encourage everyone to get it. Need for Speed makes the best racing games!
on November 15, 2012
Much about Need For Speed: Most Wanted reminds me very much of Burnout Paradise City; the open world, smashing certain cars to unlock them, crazy jumps and wild drifting. That's a good thing; Paradise city was awesome, and so is this by association. That said, if you want a more traditional racing experience, you probably won't like this, as some of my fellow reviewers can attest to. The introduction of real cars is nice, and the process of unlocking mods and upgrading them to pro by meeting certian criteria (distance driven in car, jump distance, boost time) makes for a nice change of pace. The city is well rendered, the crashes just as visceral and wince-inducing as ever (though toned down a bit from Paradise City.)

To be honest, this whole game seems like a toned-down version of paradise, though not severely so. The addition of cops and cop chases make up for the difference, though I find the cops a little more tenacious than in Saints Row; they can set up a roadblock right ahead of you only seconds after spotting you, which seems a little impossible. I also miss some of the unique cars, though this may be addressed in future DLC.

I find Multiplayer a blast. While everyone might not agree, I enjoy the odd objectives that pop up, and it does a lot to help break up the mundanity of straight-up racing all the time. Besides, broadsiding your friend at 200 mph never gets old. There are no cops in multiplayer, but I find this a refreshing change from the single player, especially when the cops have been particularly tenacious. An option to play the police in multiplayer would be awesome (future DLC please!).

I can see while some people may not like it; it's not a traditional racing game. Put simply, if you liked Paradise City, you'll like this. Put another way, if you like the idea of driving around in fast cars, but don't want to be bound to an endless series of races, this is your game (also, pick up Burnout Paradise City, which is the Saints Row 2 to this game's Grand Theft Auto 4.
on November 13, 2012
I bought the reviews...hook, line, and sinker. My two favorite sources "GI" & "IGN" both gave this game 9 plus out of 10 scores before it's launch (as an NFS fan I was commited already). On October 30th I purchased it, put it in the 360 and played it FOR 15 MINUTES!. Seriously, I had to stop and turn off the game: ponder what I'd just experienced and jump online to validate the scores this game got from respected sources. I've never been this underwelmed before and have watched the price dive down from $59.00 MSRP to $50.00 and every range inbetween. Call it hunch, but I see this one going the same route as NFS The Run with a revised price of $29.99 and then/finally $19.99. As it stands now, I'd be lucky to get $20.00 trade in for it so I'll use the game as a reminder not to rely any other sources than our trusty Amazon gamers here who've collectively given this only a 2.5 star rating (that'll drop down also). My best recommendation is to WAIT for a new Holiday 2012 price point of sub $30.00 and then think about purchasing. This one's got $60 of bad news written all over it.
on May 13, 2013
Now let me say that I've loved almost every NFS game that's been put out over the years. The in depth customization, tuning and endless cars.

This game is different.

Yeah they have the newest licensed cars in this game, but the gameplay is literally so awful. If you crash in a race, and you will crash a lot you are pretty much forced to restart the race. Which mind you, will take about 30 seconds to do so. The controls feel stiff and clunky for whatever reason, causing you these time consuming crashes as well. The partical effects and blinding sun also cause for a game of "let's guess where I have to turn next".

You have no garage, no customizable options aside from preset tires, chassis, and transmission parts.

This game has just lost its fun. I regret to say it, but unless they release NFS Underground 3, I'll never play or buy one of their games again. This just blew it for me. I know it's supposed to be a game based on cop chases, but this game is so much like Burnout, it sickens me. If I wanted Burnout, I would have bought Burnout.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse