5.0 out of 5 stars Best racer on Vita by far
Need For Speed: Most Wanted for PS Vita is absolutely amazing. It is the full console experience on the Vita, with just about everything intact.

Published on October 30, 2012 by Kasaru

Published 5 months ago by Kal

5.0 out of 5 stars Best racer on Vita by far, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)

The graphics in this game are absolutely stellar. Maybe not as good as its console brethren, but it is mighty close. The intro video seemed to have a couple of graphical hitches to it, so I figure it was the transition to a smaller screen and resolution. With the exception of that, and the noticeably HORRIBLE lights of oncoming cars (I noticed fire in Uncharted: Golden Abyss had the same problem), as well as the low resolution shadows (also another reoccurring problem), the graphics in this game are without a doubt, some of the best on the system. Every detail is there, and clearly visible and defined. The sparks from a blown tire or collision, the reflection of the sun off the car, the smoke from the tires as they spin. The environments are absolutely stunning as well. The buildings aren't just some low resolution texture, they're actually there, and look great. The environment is destructible, so as you're careening through a billboard, you're going to see it splinter and break. Everything is there, and it looks amazing.

The gameplay is absolutely amazing. As I said, it is the same exact game that is on the consoles. The cars feel great and controllable, realistic physics, great handling, and like I said, beautiful detail. There is no start up menu, which is actually a good thing. You can get right into the action, which you're going to very much want to do so. The menus are easy to navigate, and again, touch controls for menus are not necessary, and I don't even know if they're an option, that's how much I hate to use them. But anyways, gameplay is solid, if not better.

It is quite obvious this game is nothing but a blatant port however, there are some things that need to be worked on. Like I said before, during the transition to a smaller screen and resolution, some things were not taken into account, such as the bad quality of the intro video. However, the HUD too, was not changed, and some things are much too small. The map should be remade for the Vita, because it is too small and too much crammed into that small square in the quarter. And in an open world racing game like this, the map is an essential part of the gameplay. As well as the menu on the top right, it is too small to really be able to use it while driving, like is intended. Instead, you have to stop the car, and squint at the small letters and stats that are also so pivotal in the gameplay. Other than that, the whole game is there in a nice package, and well worth it.

The muliplayer is where its at in this game. The multiplayer is not toned down whatsoever for this game, except the player count. Consoles can have up to 8 players, while a lobby on Vita has only 4. Which isn't a big deal, I had such a blast with only 3 other people, I think if there was more, it might get too crazy and take away from the fun of it all. The multiplayer is open world, players can go wherever they want to, until the next race starts, and you have to race your way there. So really, there's a race in a race... you earn speed points and for the 6 set races or so, you rack up points by placing, taking down opponents, and other objectives. Very fun, very addicting.

Autolog is a big part of this game's selling point. "The most socially connected racing game ever". And they're right. It is, and its a big part of the game. Unfortunately, all my friends on PSN are stupid and have not picked up this game, or ACIII: L yet, so I have no way of judging if it is any good or not. But if the Autolog features are as strong as the rest of the game, especially multiplayer, if you have friends with the game, you're going to have even more fun, and the game will have an even higher value to you.

There are trophies with this game, and not really anything special to report, but I did get 7 in my first 20 minutes or so of playing... I'm hoping it won't be as easy as Resistance: Burning Skies or Skyrim...

I'm pretty disappointed that there was no Cross-Buy deal, or even any Cross-Play. The games are essentially the same, it would be nice if you could save your data on the PS3 and pick up where you left off on the Vita. But I guess you can't have everything...

So there it is, the best racing game on the system, thus far. I've been waiting since launch for a decent, long lasting game, and I think here it is. We'll see, but for now I've got my hands full with this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
this Game is awesome a must have for the vita!!!! best racing game so far and the grapics are stunning, not perfect but defenitely very good! it seems that finally EA did work on this title.... there some minor problems though 1- the lights from the uncoming traffic seems pixalated but nothing that is that bad it doent alter your gaming experience at all and 2- there are some glitches but it seems they fixed them because there is an UPDATE already... other than that awesome game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...and then wow again., November 9, 2012
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
I'm an old man in the video game world. When I started playing this game, I whispered under my breath..."this game is sick". I realized at that point, how awesome it was. It had contorted my vernacular into that of a pimply faced teenager...I was transported to the first time I played whatever ground breaking game I was playing in the mid 90's.

I seriously can't go into much detail, but to say that this is the greatest handheld racing/driving game ever. For the record, Wipeout 2048 is a very close second.

When you fire this up the first time, the graphics and the speed of those graphics will blow you away. It's simply beautiful. The open world feel really works on a handheld, because I can spend five minutes just driving around finding new stuff. When I have to do that on a console, I feel like I'm wasting my time. But here, exploration is rewarded. I will just sit down and start driving without a concern for progression, get into a few battles with the cops, and be done, and feel completely satisfied.

Controls are tight. I use wheel and peddles pretty much exclusively for consoles, so getting used to the stick was a challenge. It can be a little too tight at times. But after about 20 minutes you start to figure out what's what.

The AI racers are brilliant. Both the cops and the competitors really don't seem to like you very much...which adds to the ambiance.

I am having a hard time coming up with a bad thing to say. I've played everything on the vita so far, and this is my favorite game yet.

Yet another reason to buy a vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Racer. Couldn't Put it Down!, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
I came into this game not expecting much. I totally forgot this was made by the same company that made the Burnout series and I absolutely loved Paradise City. This game brought back the addictive feel Paradise City had.

When starting up the game, I immediately realized I was in for a treat. The graphics for this game are top notch. I literally stopped and stared at the visuals on my Vita screen. I found the graphics to be some of the best I have seen on my Vita. As far as the racing goes, each car has a different feel to them and the upgrades definitely change the feel of the car. The music definitely adds a lot to this game. They have all types of music and I often found myself using Shazaam to identify the song that was playing. I know there is an indicator on the top left that names the song, but I often found myself getting into the song too late to read the artist and song title. I also love how everything feels integrated in this game. Want to jump online? Well then use the directional buttons to select multiplayer and it will put you into a game. Games are easy to find as of this post. I haven't had to sit around longer than one minute. I think the maximum time I spent waiting was 30 seconds. The single-player portion of this game will take well over 10 hours to complete, and then you also have the online component which can add so much more time. You also don't have to go hunting for a car once you have found it. You can jump into the car straight from the directional button menu. Races can be jumped into in much the same manner, so long as you have already done the race.

This however, is where things can get a bit confusing. See, they name the races, but since you are quite literally racing everywhere in this game, it is far too simple to not care for the name and location of the race. Instead, I found myself setting the waypoint and following the marker to my destination. Now, I don't mind driving around the city as I'm a completionist so it gave me a chance to explore and find billboards or speed cameras. The speed cameras can be a bit difficult to spot on the Vita's screen, but you'll know you passed one when the flash goes off. Another issue I had plenty of times was crashing into invisible sections on the walls. Apparently the collision detection is a bit weird in this game. There were times where an opponent would bump me into the guard rail or building and I'd be grinding the wall for a few seconds. Well apparently the game decides to cause a collision when there was nothing to collide into. For as immersive as this game was, it pulls you out of the moment when you see your car flip end-on-end because you collided into what I can only describe as the hardest piece of jagged wall sticking out that you have ever encountered. It makes no sense. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happened enough that I would work on avoiding scraping the walls whenever possible.

So basically, if you like racing games and own a Vita your options are pretty limited but this is the best racing game out for the Vita. I enjoy racing games on all consoles and still find this to be a great time killer on my little portable system. I would pay full price if I had to all over again. The game is just that good for racing fans. Plus...it is nice to see support for the struggling Vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have good for a great price., October 5, 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
The game is lively, the controls are perfect. As of when this review was written, i been having a blast and still have to play online.

Graphics: 5/5. Really, everything looks good and the cars are really pretty. The only thing that is not smooth are the traffic headlights. They look pixelated.

Controls: 5/5. I took no time to get familiar with the controls. Responsive and smooth, no input lag whatsoever.

Gameplay: 4/5. The single player campaign is very short, but you have online and lots of events to keep you occupied.

Hands down, best racing vita game so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed. the only thing I liked about this game ..., July 29, 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
very disappointed. the only thing I liked about this game is the cover picture. I played it twice and was really disappointed it is hard to drive a car or a make a slight turn at low speeds without having it drift which is really annoying. if you think you can avoid hitting cars at high speeds think twice....the car will either drift and hit a wall or you won't even see the car coming...which brings us to graphics. the graphics on this game are worst than the graphics on 2009 smartphones. if you're expecting ps3/ps4 or even high end smart phone graphics you will be terribly disappointed. Overall, the game visuals and textures look crappy and car control is just terrible. Don't waste your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to see for older gamers :(, June 24, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
Unbelievable... Life is truly a dream... It's hard for me to swallow the fact that I'm now an elderly in the gaming world. Which makes me sad about this game on the PS Vita. The graphics is great, as long as you can see it, and herein lies the problem for older gamers like myself. Our eye sight is just not what it used to be, so when the developer ports the 1080p game graphics to a tiny screen without resizing the assets (including many a menu screen), it's very frustrating for us. It doesn't have to be this way; other Vita racing games can be a joy to play. Here everything is just too small on the screen, so it's all too easy to crash into a bridge support or another car. Navigating the map is pretty much impossible for anyone older than 40.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but pure adrenaline, step on the gas and buy it!, December 3, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
Get ready for awesome. This game puts you right in the action and unlike traditional racing games you don't start with cruddy cars and play forever until you finally get to the good ones. This game is unlike any other racing game I've played due to that fact. Within minutes I was driving one of the best cars ever made an Ariel Atom V8 and was taking corners at 120+ MPH. It's also a huge open world and the races are in different parts of it everytime. As you race your heart really gets pumping as there are oncoming traffic cars flying at you, tons of obstacles, jumps, and different terrains adds to the challenge no matter how beefed up your car is and then to top it off speed cameras catch you speeding and you have cop cars chasing you trying to run you off the road, create roadblocks, even lay down spikes on the ground. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through the race and even when you think its over the cops could still be chasing you after you've already won a race and you then need to outrun them. Certain types of collisions or escapes will earn you more trophies so trophie lovers will adore this game. Multiplayer is superb you don't even need to go to a main screen you could jump to multiplayer while driving if you wanted to and then again your in an open world. Graphically this game is darn close to the PS3 version, minor gripes would be the headlights are slightly pixelated from oncoming traffic but that is to be expected from a game they literally took from PS3 and put on the vita. If anything, I'd say the vita version is better in terms of gameplay and controllability due to the VIta's screen size. Load times are super low for a game of this magnitude on a portable system. I've seen other racing games on vita like wipeout take almost a full minute to load. Not this one! Get this gem now, I'll see you in multiplayer!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
Very addictive, good graphics, the music is well made.

Controlling vita is so well done, it felt like playing on ps3. I have it on PC and I can see with pleasure that the vita version is an exact copy of the other versions, of course with less graphics, but that does not mean they do not look amazing. great work of the guys at Criterion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and addicting!!!, January 13, 2013
B-Luv (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Video Game)
I kept thinking that I wanted a racing game for my ps vita...but I couldn't decide between NFS Most Wanted or Asphalt title that's being offered. I've played the demo version of the Asphalt and really liked it. My daughter loved it. I ordered this as a gift to myself and from the moment I put it in my system, I've been hooked!! All the races you can compete in are right at your fingertips. I love the graphics with this game...so much detail and realism when you crash. I also love the number of cars...135 or something like that...GET THIS GAME. If you like to race on the go with incredible graphics and realism, pick this up...it's worth it. I have Madden, Call of Duty, Unit 13m, etc.... this is the game I can't stop playing.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Most Wanted by Electronic Arts (PlayStation Vita)
$39.99 $19.99