Top critical review
56 people found this helpful
NFS Rivals on PS3: If you have a PS4, go with the upgrade
on November 22, 2013
After having NFS: Rivals for the PS4 on launch day, I decided to get NFS: Rivals for the PS3 through Gamefly to see the differences.
And they are stark.
- On the PS4, there is no lag whatsoever. The game runs smoothly with no pop-in. On the PS3, oncoming traffic will pop in giving you next to no time to avoid it if you are going in the oncoming lane (which is quite common), causing you to crash. There is significant pop-in/draw distance as is true of other racing games (GT5 in particular) on the PS3.
- Graphically, there is no comparision, as one would expect. Everything looks significantly better on the PS4.
- As for the gameplay, the PS4 controller not only allows for better control, but also the inputs are real-time. You also don't get the "dead zone" with the analog sticks like you have with the PS3 Dualshock.
Now, as for the game itself:
- It's open world, in that you can drive on any road in the map without being in an event, but if you're expecting NFS: Most Wanted or Burnout Paradise levels of activity you may be disappointed, as it only extends to jumps and speed cameras/zones. There are no billboards/gates to smash and generally less areas to explore compared to those other 2 games.
- You can play as a cop or a racer; the cop path is significantly easier to progress through than the racer path (you unlock a new car with each speedlist you compelte), and the events are generally easier as well. So until you get accustomed to the control, I recommend being the cop.
- AllDrive is the new feature in the game, which seamlessly connects the single player game for up to 6 people at one time. This means you could be the cop, encounter another human players race, and be able to bust them. You also earn additional speedpoints while you are in the AllDrive mode (it'll turn green). However, the aforementioned lag comes into play in these situations and is definitely noticeable.
- If you only have a PS3, this isn't as good as Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit, in terms of overall content (MW) and actual gameplay (HP).
- If you have a PS4, while this right now is the only racing game for it, it is the superior version of the two games, in all aspects.